Aquilino de La Guardia & Calle 52, Panama Zone 5, Panama City, Panama

Iglesia del CarmenIglesia del Carmen

Ministry of Foreign RelationsMinistry of Foreign Relations

The vegetation and the GazeboThe vegetation and the Gazebo

A map of the CanalA map of the Canal

Jamaican/Caribbean Community in Panama?

by spachick

I am visiting Panama City, PA for the first time next spring.
I will be staying in the heart of the city to take in the culture and the cuisine.
I found out recently that there is a Jamaican/Caribbean Community in Panama or Panama City?
Since my background is Jamaican, naturally, I am interested in knowing where this is, and how to get there via the city.
Is there a museum of Caribbean or black culture in Panama City?
Any help in this area would be wonderful.
Spachick2000@yahoo.com

by cochinjew

Panama city is an amalgam of multiple nationalities and you would be surprised what you find there.
Jamaicans or black or mulatto people of jamaican origin can be found all along the atlantic coast of central america from honduras all the way down to Panama and then on to the other coast.
Jamaicans were brought to work on the Canal and they are fully integrated as Panamanians.. except for ancestral last names such as Livingston etc. so you might meet a Fernando Livingston.
Panama is a bustling city with lots of East Indian merchants and an extremely well off sephardi jewish community, Indigenous Indians from Kuna and Choco and many south americans and also a remnant of the americans who used to own the panama canal.
if you have time please fly to porvenir and visit the Kuna Indians. Be careful of the city of Colon, dont go there alone.
The food is good and varied, in fact, my sister who is an expert in Lebanese cuisine said she had the best lebanese food there. (she knows a lot about Jamaica as well)
Hopefully someone would answer whether there is a specific museum devoted to the black people who came from the islands but in my opinion the entire city is like a museum
Enjoy your stay

by Odinnthor

The above response explains a lot about the reasons for the Jamaican precence in Panama. Some even say that reggae started in Panama......

The Panama Cabal has a long history of Jamaican participation, most of which is not so nice. Again the Jamaicans are being sought after for the New Canal project.

I am pretty sure you are looking for the Afro Antillian Museum, which cronicles the history of Caribbean workers that came to Panama. Here it is including the contact/address....

One love........d:o)

by Panama507

yes in fact there is a jamaican comunity in panama,
i´m mot sure where it is. if I know I will let you know.

In panam city we have a museum of the afrocaribean culture.
its not directly related to jamaica but I´m sure will offer you a good answer

this museum is located at the center of city, between the modern and old town
right in the 5 de mayo plaza infront of the "seguro social".

good luck

by spachick

Thanks very much everyone for your input. I do appreciate it!!

Travel Tips for Panamá City

ATM's

by laynie_b

In case other people are having this same problem:
I tried to pull money out of 4 ATM's and I wasn't able to. It didn't deny me outright, but the machine went into this strange loop of me entering my information over and over until I gave up and hit cancel. I figured something was up with the local banks because I called my bank and there was no problem on their end. So I was on my way to a Scotiabank, to see if I could draw money out there when I came across a Western Union location with an international ATM that worked perfectly for me. (And it didn't charge me a fee!!) So if you have problems with the ATM's, find an American/Canadian bank or a Western Union!

Estación Central de Ferrocarriles

by mikey_e

Estación Central de Ferrocarriles used to be the city’s Anthrolopogical Museum, but it has since been abandoned. Actually, during the early 2000s, a new Anthropological Museum was built near Clayton with the help of the Taiwanese government. Taiwan poured in millions of dollars and for a beautiful new building that now houses the country’s anthropological treasures, and the then-President’s government was promptly sacked for its inability to explain where the surplus funds went during the construction process. This historical building, meanwhile, was shuttered and is currently out of use, although it is, nevertheless, a great example of the neo-Classical architecture that was spurred by the boom following on the construction of the Canal.

Taxi fares

by vtdanny

Taxi fares we paid during our visit in Dec 2007.

-from Bella Vista area to Via Espana/Argentina (El Cangreho area ) : $2 USD
-from Hotel Riande Continental to Albrook Mall : $2 by taxi on the street day time, $ 5 in the evening; Hotel charged $ 10 for the same trip.

-from Bella Vista to Old Panama : $ 4
-from Old Panama to Multi Plaza mall: $ 2
-from Multi Plaza mall to Bella Vista: $2.50
-from Bella Vista to Restaurant Bucanero in Amador: $4 daytime; $8 at night from there back to the city.

-from Bella Vista to Tocumen airport: $16 to 27, what a range .

-from Bella Vista to Multi Centro Mall in Paitilla: $1.50 ; we've been quote $5, of course we didn't take it.

Usually within 50 cents, I didn't even bother bargaining. Average price within the city is still $2.

Must confirm price before getting into the taxi, most drivers will quote you tourists rate especially the ones with newer cars.

----------------

2010 08

We just got back from PNY . The rates above still stand.

From central Pny to Albrook Mall, for example, is 2 $ max for 2 persons. There are still honest taxi driver out there :) and one of them quoted us $ 1.75 for the trip. Local folks do not and will not pay over 2 USD for that distance.

Others are still very much out to scalp tourists. Example : a taxi guy quoted us 5 USD from Albrook mall to central Pny. LMAO of course we walked and went with another taxi.

Fantastic BBQ Latino Style

by bilgeez about Leños y Carbón

There is no shortage of parridillas or carbónarias here in Panama City, but I think the best and the best value even, is Columbian-owned Leños y Carbón.
There are several of them throughout Panama City, there is one at Albrook Mall, in the food court, ditto at Multicentro Mall, also a brand new one at the end of the Amador Causeway, which has a breathtaking view of the Panama skyline.
They offer a wide variety of grilled meat of all types, chicken, beef, and pork. They also offer an assortment of fruit juices that are fresh and a great alternative to sodas, which they also serve. The mall locations do not serve alcohol, but I think the Amador location does.
Their meals are simply the best of Latino barbeque I´ve had, and a good value, too! If we are really hungry or have a guest or two with us, we get the "Argentinian Grill" (Parridilla Argentina). It has grilled chicken breast, beef, two kinds of pork and sausage. Comes with fries, salad, rice, and sancocho (chicken) soup, if they haven´t run out! For $14 this is a bargain! We always take some home even if we split it four ways! It is a food orgy! If we want to eat "light", we get the mixed shish kebab (brochetes mixtas), it has a good-sized cubes of grilled chicken, beef and pork spaced between bell pepper chunks, and comes with salad, rice, a columbian tortilla, and sancocho soup - as long as they have it, for $4.95. It´s like a mini version of the Argentinian grill. Sometimes we get one of these and a salad bar for $4.65 and have a feast. The salad bar has a wide variety of items, and you can heap as much as you can on a large dinner plate to eat. There are other parridillas at the food courts, and they offer good food and decent prices, but none is as good as Leños! They are da primera!

Passing Ships

by jujub

To see ships passing through the Canal, your best bet is to arrive at 9am, when the Canal starts to operate. The Miraflores Locks will only let visitors in at 9am, even if you arrive early, you won't be allowed in the premises.

Here you can see a ship entering the Canal. A lot of people are surprised that the Canal is not wider. As you can see, there are two passageways for the ships. The direction in which the ships pass can vary: the passageways could act as a 2-way street, or both could allow ships to go on the same direction.

In this photo, you cannot see the level of the water where the ship is entering. Once the locks open, the water level will equalize, and the ship will pass.

Comments