3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Barcelo Playa Blanca Beach Resort

Decameron & Panama a great place to visit

by TripAdvisor Member KAREN

My husband & I spent 2 weeks at the Decameron from Feb 21/05 to Mar7/05 and had a wonderful time. If you can get a seat in Club Class on Air Transat I would highly reccommend it. We flew club class on the way down, but were unable to get seats on the way home. Much more leg room, choice of meals and no weight restrictions on your luggage. The airport in Panama is a good size and World of Vacations was very organized, we picked up our envelope with our room number and baggage tags, so you were pretty much checked in at that point. All you had to do was pick up a second envelope at the resort, containing your key and check in was quite painless. The ride from the airport to the Decameron was 2 hours with a short stop about half way. (to pee or not to pee) Bring toilet paper or kleenex with you, public washrooms never have any. The washrooms were not horrible but mine had no toilet seat. We arrived at the resort around 4:00 pm, put on our bathing suit and wandered around the grounds to try and get our bearings. The resort is a little large for my taste and seemed a little overwelming at first, but was laid out quite nicely and was easy to get around. The food was quite good (except the beef) but by the end of the 14 days, I just wanted good old Canadian food. We ate at all of the alacarte restaurants. They were all quite good. Our favourites were the Italian and the Thai. We didn't watch much of the entertainment, didn't start until 10:00 pm, after a day in the sun or on tour we were just too tired. What shows we did see were very entertaining. We were in building 19, top floor. Nice room, king bed, and actually quite a nice view. We could see the ocean and a small portion of the beach. We were quite close to all of the restaurants, had to walk a little to the beach, but with all the food and alcohol the walking did us good. Personally I wouldn't spend the extra for the beach view rooms.
The distance from the resort to Panama city created a bit of a problem with tours, there was always a lot of travelling time. We did do the Embera Indian Village, about 2+ hours travel one way, but I felt it was worth it. This was a great tour. We left at 8:00 am and arrived back at the resort around 6:00pm. A long day, but a pleasant one. We had a great guide, and there is always lots of new scenery while you are on the bus. We also did the 4 wheeler trip (Macano trail-3hours) and it was a lot of fun. We actually did it twice, once with my own bike and once as a passenger on my husbands bike. I would recommend your own. It's easier to drive than to ride, as long as you don't mind getting dirty. We walked down the beach to Noriegas beach house, missed the actual tour, but walked around and took lots of photos. The other direction down the beach there are a few vendors selling crafts,tshirts etc.(good prices) and farther down is Pipas bar. We stopped and had a cervesa one day. From here you can head into Farrallon and walk through the village. (very safe) There is a convenience store and a very nice craft store (molas, tshirts,baskets etc). He has good prices and will haggle with you a little. We walked into Farrallon and shopped at this little store several times. I suggest going in the morning, by afternoon it is quite hot. We took a cab another day with friends and went to Penonome, Al Cano, Nata and El Valle ($75.00 per couple) and were gone from (9:00 - 5:00). Our driver was Andres and our english speaking guide (which we requested) was Desiree. We visited a church in Nata, a museum and an archaeological dig in Al Cano, shopping in Penenome and great scenery in El Valle going up the mountain. We stopped at Las Veraneras in Santa Clara for lunch. Great place to eat. Very cheap and good food. A great day. There is not much in the way of snorkelling, we did 1 hour just out by the island (was Noriegas) across from the resort. Did see some fish and coral, but the water was a little rough.Only $30.00 each, and also got a tour around the island to see it up close. The only trip I didn't take that I really wanted to was to Panama City. Every Panama city trip they always combined with the Canal. We had already seen the Canal and just wanted the Old City and shopping. Travel time was also a factor, and it's very very hot in the city. You can also take the local transportation ($1.00 ) to Penonome to shop. We didn't care much for Penonome, clerks followed you around the stores, very busy and noisy, but cheap prices for shirts and shoes.
We spent our down time on the beach near the NegaNega Bar (quieter pool) . Lots of palupas and lounges, and were equal distance from the pool and the ocean. No jelly fish, undertow could be a little strong at times, but always life guards, and they kept good watch.
We met lots of new friends, and learned lots of spanish this time. We carried our little spanish book with us and would just ask staff members how to say something. they were happly to oblige. A great mix of people at this resort. If we were the type of people to return to the same place, we would come back here, but in our minds there are too many places in this world to see that we haven't yet been to. A great resort for the money. No place is ever perfect. The weather is quite warm (takes a few days to aclimatize), the sun is very hot (wear sunscreen ALWAYS) usually a nice breeze on the beach. My best suggestion would be if you are travelling to this resort go for 2 weeks as the first and last day are pretty much wasted with travel (plane-5 hours) and getting to and from the airport. Enjoy your trip!! We did!!

Royal Decameron Beach Resort Golf & Casino

by Fantasmine

It was fun to have all included, a lot of music, nice views to the beach.
I did not like at all the food, but I reccommend it anyway because you will enjoy the beach, the pools and the activities.
I went again in August 2007 and I liked better the restaurants, they have improved the service. I liked very much.

They lost $3000 worth of our scuba gear and denied it!

The royal decameron is a beautiful resort. We enjoyed the food and amenities and the staff were very friendly. However, they managed to lose one piece of luggage during check in that contained scuba gear for the four of us. After pretending to "look" for it for several days, they finally agreed to file an insurance claim. Unfortunately, once we left the hotel, the management and customer service people told us that we "could not prove" that our luggage had ever been there! We had the added expense of trying to track down our luggage, and renting scuba gear for the remainder of our vacation. Fortunately,our luggage was found at the airport, intact (the Decameron had it all along!) by a superb Delta Airlines employee who made the extra effort that the Decameron did not! I have sent several e-mails to the Decameron since my trip, but they have not answered any. They have not apologized, nor offered compensation for their mistake. Oh, they also tried to charge us more for our pre-paid reservation w/hotels, claiming our rate was too low for the four of us sharing a room. Hotels did offer us $60 as compensation for the decamerons rude treatment as part of their customer care package. I highly recommend them. Also, as a note, my 15 year old daughter was constantly being hit on by older guests and staff, who seemed eager to put alcohol in her drinks, even though she ordered them without it. On the positive side, we enjoyed the beach and the food and entertainment. We might go back someday, but we would be very careful with our luggage!

perrrrfect!

by TripAdvisor Member BrieD

My family and I (8 of us- all couples from ages 21-51) went to the Decameron In feb of 2004 and to this day we talk about how great it was. What a beautiful, relaxing spot.
Checkin was a little tough, they need some help at the front desk. but that aside the rooms were nice. We actually stayed in the "Villas". They are within walking distance of the resort itself but they also have "botones" or bell boys who drive around the resort in golf cart type cars bringing you from one place to the next. If you call for a car it is there in minutes, or even if you start walking they usually pick you up. The villas are great if you have a party of 6 or more because they give you a lot more privacy. One of the couples with us opted to stay in the actual resort rooms and we stopped by their room as well. Very nice view- the gardens/ flowers on the propery are gorgeous.

The beach is beautiful as well- there are tons of little huts on the shore that offer shade from the STRONG sun! There are many pools (if i remember correctly there are 5 or 6? and at least 3 have bars) which are clean and refreshing. They have anything from pools with activities (music/ games, etc.) or more low key pools. On our last day we did a bar/pool crawl- we stopped at each pool and took a dip, and had a drink at each bar. It's the ultimate tour!
The restaurants (i believe there was 5 international foods and a few buffets) were good. Not the best food I've ever had but good. The best was probably either the Italian or the Thai was great as well. My sister is a picky eater and even she was happy with the variety. The drinks are great, top shelf, and the bartenders are HILARIOUS. We made good friends with quite a few members of the staff and have kept in touch. They are all really genuinely nice and helpful people.

We took a trip to the Valle de Anton, which is definitely worth the ride. It's a small town in what used to be the center of a volcano! A lot of intersting culture there. There's a restaurant within walking distance oof the resort called "Pipa's" which had separate tables under white canopies and phenomenal seafood. At the end of the evening the owner of the restaurant even gave us a lift back to the resort. Nice people! Also Panama City has great shopping. Other than that we found it wasn't necessary to even leave the resort.

If you are looking for a relaxing time for a GREAAAAAT PRICE this is the way to go. We were skeptical at first because no one we know has ever visited Panama but we would DEFINITELY recommend it. It is not a huge touristy area so if you're looking for a party scene this isn't it. the decameron is a great spot to relax, enjoy the beach and phenomenal weather. Go for it!!

DON'T GET MARRIED THERE.......

I should have known from the day I talked to a representive that I should have never had my wedding there. It was the most unorganized wedding ( no rehearsal was done), they got a canadian tourist to do the ceremony since the judge did not show up, very UN-private, I had about 200 tourist people taking pictures from inside the aisle and outside. The bridemaids did not know what to do, and the flowergirl was running back and forth on both sides of the bride and groom. And all I could think of through the entire ceremony was my wedding day. They did not finsh our video upon departure(week later). They told us to cut off the resort wrist band for pictures, which later I was interagated by Noriega want to be police for not having the band on, and last but not least, they threw away our 1st anniversary layer of cake. If you do plan to go, bring extra beverage to restuarants, they hate to refill cups, food was pretty good, pools close at 5:00 pm, no ice machines, excursions were good. People at front desk DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. I would not go back.

Enjoyed the Decameron in beautiful Panama

My husband and I spent a week at the Decameron the week of Feb 21 -28th, we knew going in the trip would be long from airport to the resort but it really is long after a long flight and the whole airport thing, makes for a long day but once you get there its worth it and so much of Panama to see along the way. The resort is beautiful very beautiful with friendly staff that even with the language barrier do try to please you and make your stay wonderful, they seem so grateful that you are there sharing and experecing their country, tourism is just kicking off there. Panama is beautiful very beautiful but be prepared for long excursion days if you take them and its worth doing something so you can experience their way of living and its mountains and rainforest and all its beauty. If you take the Jungle Cruise and Houseboat excursion be preapred you do not go from a speed boat stragiht to the house boat as indicted on your excursion phamplet, you first tour on this boat that does have a canopy to keep hot sun off you but, you are on that boat sitting for two hours or more on hard wood planks , it starts to get very uncomfortabe, very uncomfortable so if you can take cushioning of some kind do it, and if you have to use the washroom your out of luck or don't feel well out of luck so make sure you do feel well and have used the washroom and be prepared for a sore butt by the end of it. There are washrooms on the houseboat and you do make a stop on route to the canal. It was nice though , to see the jungle is cool however also be prepared to not see as many animals as you would like the jungle comes to life at 6am in the morning so its hit and miss you arrive there just after 10am, its neat to be in the canal waters that are surrounded by these jungles, we saw frieght ships and a cruise ship ,and it is pretty to see the greenery and vegeation of the jungle we did see some monkeys two speices and turtles and birds , however that is out of their control what you will see. After that you go to the house boat for a very nice lunch and you can swim or fish or canoe in boats they provide and just relax that time there could be a little shorter however your there so make the most of it.
The beach is nice, nice for walks and there are plenty of lounge sitting areas and huts to provide shade take note those chairs are hard plastic we saw people with plastic rafts that you use in pools, sitting on top of them on the chairs, caught on real fast, go to the gift shop by some for 5 bucks each or by them at home and the pool actitivity boy has a compressor to blow them up down by the beach and pools in the middle of the resort and it makes your day so much nicer to have those to sit on on your lounge chair otherwise not comfortable at all, you can use them in the pools to float on too we left ours behind and just gave them to a family to use, I would strongly advise getting them worth it.
It is very hot in Panama however not humid right now its there dry season. The resort beautiful, very big so there lots of walking and lots of stairs, its good for you, however if you need to there are golf carts that come to certain waiting areas that pick you up and take you around you may have to wait though. There pools are nice and lots of them , we used them allot and they are not overcorowded either which we liked.
Many resturants but if you wanted to dine at their specialty resturants you had to be up at 6:30 am yes am to get a number at lobby one or two to get a number and then wait until 7am until the girl starts to take reservations, not the best set up at all, we only did reservations the days we did excursions because we had to wake up early anyway to get the bus, they need to think of another system, for us personally the food no matter where we eat was not a highlight, we did not like it, however we did not starve the ambiance was nice and the service good so it was not an issue, your not in North America, they do the best to provide you with good food and there are lots of different foods of their country and we did try things but on the whole not good for us but did not spoil are holiday.
Overall we had a good relaxing interesting sunshine filled hot holiday, Panama is worth seeing it is beautiful would we go back no not because we did not like it, we really liked it, there are just so many other places we would like to go. Would we recommend it. Yes go expereince the sun and beauty and culture and nice people of Panama.

Royal Decameron Beach Resort - email?

by mildop

Greetings,

am going to be visiting the Royal Decameron resort in early December, and I am trying to arrange a trip to the hotel from the airport. Does anyone have an email address for the hotel?

Thanks!
Jen

Re: Royal Decameron Beach Resort - email?

by Matchbox

It is better to fax them.
Royal Decameroon Hotel
Location: • Address : Calle 50 Infront Telemetro, Panama City
• Hotel: Tel. (507) 993 2255 Fax. (507) 993 2254 – Panama City: Tel. (507) 214 3535 Fax. (507) 214 3539
Address: Calle 50

Email: decavtas@cableonda.net

Telephone: +507 214 35 35
Fax: +507 214 80 59

Re: Re: Royal Decameron Beach Resort - email?

by PCBH

The Decameron Resort is not in Panama City. I think you got it confused with the Decapolis hotel in the city. The Decameron is in the town of Farallon in the province of Cocle. Sorry i don't have the address on me, but it is a beautiful resort.

Re: Royal Decameron Beach Resort - email?

by Matchbox

I think that the previous informatiom is for their tourist office for Panama. They will take care of your request, but if you want the info on the Farallion properties, here it is:
E-mail:reservas2@decameronpty.com
ventas.pa@decameron.com
Farallón(Panama)
Playa Blanca Farallón, Av. Ppal Km. 115 Carretera Panamá-Penonomé Tel.: (507)9932447

Panama - Costa Blanca Royal Decameron

by PCBH

I was wondering if anyone reading here is going to be visiting Panama, more specifically the Royal Decameron Resort anytime between Septemeber 25th - October 9th. It would be great to meet up with some other people.

Also, if anyone has advice about this resort, please feel free to add! Thanks.

first trip to panama

by jwbrooks

this will be our first trip to panama, we are arriving june 4th and leave the 14. We want to see as much as possible. They are avid bird watchers and we love the nature, beach, adventure stuff. But as three women traveling, we want to be safe; How is the best way to travel between towns, cities, etc. by car or by bus and taxi. Also what about the canapy tower , is it worth 3 night(mandatiry stay) and $$ or sould we head further out. What are the "must do and sees" . What is a doable itenerary, we are all in good health and enjoy hiking, swimming, etc...

RE: first trip to panama

by sunbud

We have been to Panama three times and it is our favourite destination.I think the best way to get around from your resort is by taxi . The organized tours are great but you might get a more personalized view of Panama by taxi and maybe even at a better price .
Enjoy!

RE: first trip to panama

by bilgeez

Getting around by bus is the cheapest, easiest way. If you go to the bus terminal at Albrook Mall, Albrook Transit Center, you can take buses to anywhere in Panama. If you are into Birds,you should go to David and up to Boquete. There are several hotels there that are quite inexpensive, especially for three. The Canopy Tower, I would pass on, you can see the sights there without spending the money. Stay in PC and take a bus tour or cab there, it'll be cheaper. If you want a great Beach resort, Royal Decameron, (Farallon) is a fine, all-inclusive resort on the Pacific SW of PC about a three hour bus ride. A room- double occupancy, is about $120 a day (that's for two people, includes everything!). They have triple occ, but I'm not sure the cost. Look at www.decameron.com for more info. I haven't been up toward Boquete, but am going to Bocas del Toro in a couple of weeks. I heard that whole area is great for bird watching, too! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.
Saludos,
Bill

Re: first trip to panama

by wvanderwahl

Hi,
Just returned from Bocas Del Toro, Panama and it was truly stunning. If you have time make a stop there are many tours that include Dolphin watching, incredible beaches and snorkling/scuba diving. They are about $17.00 to $20.00 per person. A taxi to Albrook airport/terminal from Tocumen is $25-$30.It is about a 25 minute ride and takes you through Panama City.I am an amateur bird watcher and I was greeted every morning by hummingbirds and countless other species without even searching. Three women traveling will pose no problem in Bocas Del Toro. Have fun and be prepared to fall in love with a beautiful country....

Comments