Boca de Sábalo Hotels

• Reviews: 1

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

SambuHause: Darien Jungle B/B

Tiz fine, I built it.

The rio Sambu, and the Darien Jungle.

The Indian villages in the Embera/Woonan COMARCA. Great people !

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Jungle and Rain Forest, Photography
  • Written June 22, 2011
Tip Photo

Rio Sambu (it is amazing)

• malecon profile photo malecon
  • Reviews: 43

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sambu House: Darien Jungle as it was meant to be experienced

I was hesitant about traveling to the Darien alone, until I hooked up with Sambu House. Prior to making the arrangements to stay at Sambu House, I directed my attention to the town of Yaviza at the end of the Pan-American Highway. I think this is where a lot of people end up and come back with awful stories about where they stayed and what they did. That's where I was heading reluctantly until I came across Sambu House. And the reason I stumbled upon Sambu House is because the website creator, Michael Harrington tagged the website to pop up with all related searches. Everytime I did research on the net, there was Sambu House.

Arrangements are made by cell phone to Michael directly or Mabel through email. Michael is an American who has lived between Sambu and Panama City for the last 20 years. He started Sambu House in 2006 by tearing down the family home and rebuilding from the ground up with materials flown in from Panama City.

From the outside, Sambu House looks unassuming and blends with other western style buildings within Sambu. A heavily used cement walkway passes in front then angles to the left towards the market. This is a crossroads with Sambu House at this juncture.

Sambu House is built like a square with the house and spare room shaped like an L, and the large balcony dominating 1/3 of the house area. In back is thick foliage and the SS Sambu, a huge canoe carved from a single massive tree. Someday it will make the 30 yards to the river.

The best thing about Sambu House is that it takes you into the jungle of Darien, safely. The Sambu basin is miles from the dangers associated with the Colombian border, and completely out of line with the Pan-American Highway that is like a mainline of trouble. I thanked Michael that my introduction to the Darien wasn't Yaviza, but Sambu.

• Opinion of Price: N/A