201 Dorado Del Mar Boulevard, Dorado 00646
Embassy Suites Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort
Orbitz.com Travelocity Venere.com

Costs 41% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Embassy Suites Hotel' Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort

Le luxe abordable dans les caraibes

by Greenwood143 about Embassy Suites, Dorado

L'Embassy Suites, situ? ? Dorado del Mar, est un hotel tr?s bien situ? entre la mer et un Golf.
Chaque soir, de 17h30 @ 19h30, le Manager Reception vous offre snaks et drinks ? volont?! Et un d?jeun? tr?s copieux est habituellement inclue dans le prix de la chambre. J'y ?tait pour affaire: tr?s bon choix! Piscine impressionnante.

solid and safe

Stayed at Embassy suites Dorado for four nights (Jan. 4th thru the 8th). Not exactly a luxury resort, but a good safe choice. Suite with two double beds was clean and comfortable. We actually did get a partial Ocean view from our room. I booked a king suite over the internet, when I was checking in the desk person suggested the two double suite. When I checked out the rate was $15 more per night then the rate I booked. I questioned it at checkout and was told the higher rate applied to the romm with the tow double beds. I complained that I was not told that by the person that checked me in. The checkout clerk conferred with managment for a secon and then corrected the bill to the lower rate. No big deal.

Pool are was great. Hot tub not very hot. Small beach was OK.

Played golf, got a rate of $50 after 3pm. Just able to get 18 in. For a location on the ocean only one hole, the 10th had an ocean view, and then only on the green. It still was fun playing in the constant stiff breeze.

As Hiltonhonors members we were able to order free drinks of our choosing during the managers reception. The two hours was plenty of time to load up on alcohol!

Had lunch, one day out by the pool. Food was solid pub, bar food. Not bad as some of the other reviews found.

Oregano's, at the golf course was OK decent pizzas and Pasta dishes, resonably priced.

Previous reviews spoke highly about PeeWee's. It was closed, we found, for two weeks for vacation! Kind of an odd time of the year to close in a resort area. Also, when we asked for directions at the hotel no one seemed to know it was closed, we found out when we drove there!

Not much to see in the area, so we took day trips with our rental car to Jobos beach near Isabela, cool "blowhole' to view in the rocks.. Nice laidback beach for swimming and snorkling. Also took a day trip to the rainforest, nice hikes in the rain. And then went to Luquillo beach. Which was closed for Three Kings Holiday, but you could park outside and walk in anyway, which we did. The food Kiosks outside the beach were fun for a light lunch and a beer.

Also known as Aquaris Timeshares

Hello...Just returned from a week at Aquaris Timeshare (Embassy Suites Dorado). We had a one bedroom condo on the groundfloor. This was perfect for going to the pool and beach. You could walk out from your patio directly out to the pool area. The pool was very nice, and the beach was nice too. The hotel is facing the North (Atlantic Waters) so you don't have the crystal blues waters you find in the Caribbean. We only hung out at the hotel, was not in the mood to drive 1 1/2 hrs to the caves, rainforest or any of the shopping. Best way to get to Old San Juan is take the ferry from Canto, parking is $3.00 ferry ride is $.50 and you may have to leave your keys when you get there, we had NO problems! The ferry is East of the Bacardi Factory which you could do on your way into Old San Juan or return, the last tour is @4p. If your going to be out in this area of Dorado rent a car! The grocery store or center of town is 1.5 miles from the entrance of the hotel. Hotel is 24.5 miles from airport and took us 45mintues on a Saturday afternoon. Taxi to and from the airport could be $75.00 per direction. We rented a car with Thrifty for $205.00 per week for a midsize and parking is $7.00 per day at the hotel, that is if they ask you if you have a car...hint, hint LOL! Renting a car double double check for any dents, scratches or any type of damage, they will give you a check out slip. Not much to eat in the Dorado area, first night we ate at Pizza Hut, okay you think your going to an island, remember it is consider the 51st state, so it is VERY commerical. Only resturant out on the main strip we saw was PeeWees, and my Mahi Mahi was very good. We did find a local Bakery Denials spelling? It is just past the library the outside may scare you with all the bars, but what doesn't have bars in Puerto Rico. Here is another tip...get you achohol before you leave the Puerto Rico airport cheaper then the grocery store. Malibu Rum $7.00, Baileys $15.00, Bacadri $9.95 and flavor Bacardi $10.95...don't forget to buy on your departure either going to US can bring in any amount. Best grocery store is Amigo which is off the main road in Dorado turn at Wendys! I know if your staying at the hotel your stay includes breakfast and drinks. If your staying at the Aquaris don't feel bad they don't let you in...your not missing anything for breakfast or if you really want pay the $14.95 per person...but not worth it to me. You have a small burner and micro cook your own breakfast much cheaper, yours will be hot and fresh! With regards to drinks you have a blender start blending your own umbrella cocktails, as the happy hours is only mixed drinks. Grocery prices are not too bad, and neither is gas .44 liter. Hope this helps!

Disapointed resedint

by TripAdvisor Member nicaroo

I am a resident of the Dorado Del Mar Urbanization in Puerto Rico. I have stayed at the Embassy Suites Resort and I have referred my friends and family to stay in the Resort. However, I am very embarrased at the lack of anthing spactacular at this hotel. The location is great, but the night life, the childrens activities, the service is HORRIBLE. The food is awful! There is a wine bar that is NEVER open, and if it is I believe it closes at 5pm. I am very disipointed in the Embassy Suites Resort (if you can call it a resort). I really hope changes are made.

Go to Anguilla, St. Barts, St. Johns, Turks Caicos...NOT Puerto Rico

I am a seasoned traveler and have stayed at many resorts within the Caribean. We've stayed at PR before, at the Hyatt Resort. Last time we were in PR was about 7 years ago. We felt like it was a good time to head down for the holiday weekend and check out the new Embassy on Dorado Beach.

I relied upon the reviews from travelers on this page for my decision. Like all people who use Embassy, they enjoy the family atmosphere, breakfasts, cocktails. Most Embassy's that I stay at are hotels and I expect them to be that way. Most are for business purposes, but this was the first "resort" property I stayed at.

My expectations were that of any Embassy I had stayed at before. I didn't expect a 5 star experience, but enough amenties to compliment a resort atmosphere.

As far as the property goes, I found all the amenties to be in line with typical Embassy Suites hotels. Rooms were nice. Pool was nice. Work out area was sufficient. Game room and laundry facilities were available.

The place where this Embassy lacks dramatically......and the entire area of Dorado for that matter is SERVICE. I am convinced that the Puerto Rican people DO NOT WANT AMERICANS ON THEIR ISLAND. I knew a few years ago there was discussion concerning PR becoming a state and the people have voted it down, well guess what, they don't want your money either.

We had horrible experiences from no valet attendants to assist you (even though you're paying $14 a day for the service), rooms that could not cool off quickly enough, loud music that lasted until midnight on the weekends, drinks that were 6 oz's and cost you $9.00, servers at the bar that would eat french fries or other items off the orders you placed.....right before they delivered them to you.

I could go on and on about the problems with this hotel as it relates to the lack of service and the uncouth behavior of the people, but it translate into the area where the best restaurant is Wendy's.

If you're considering going to this island, DONT!! Consider spending a few more dollars on one of the other islands in the Carib that wants the American dollars. The Puerto Rican people are too concerned with who's on their cell phone than to stop and help you.

Great for kids - Food not so good

by TripAdvisor Member den

We just returned from a week at the Dorado. We had a two bedroom, with large living room/kitchen/dining room (combined in one large space). The accomodations were excellent. We have 4 children, and felt that we had plenty of room. The service was very good (except for the concierge) and everyone, from the bellman to the cleaning people were gracious. The pool is great for kids - there is a nice baby pool and a walk-in beach entry to the larger pool. The hot tub is small. The beach was also great for kids, since it was so calm. The beach was much prettier than I thought it would be, based on other reviews.

There is no babysitting or Kids Club. We did play Bingo every afternoon which the kids enjoyed. There are very few activities at this resort other than the pool and beach. There is a small game room downstairs. I had a massage which was great.

The downside is that it was very difficult to find good food. Sorry to say, but one of our best meals was from Kentucky Fried Chicken. We ate at Oregano's (on premises) twice, and one meal was not good (I felt ill, actually). We ate at the pool restaurant once, and it was OK for average food with above average prices. We ate locally at Villa Alberto's and had an over-priced barely edible meal (but great service!). We ate one night at Zen Garden at Cerromar and it was lovely and food was quite good.

We would go back, no question. Now that we know where adequate food is, we'd probably do better.

Embassy Suites

by TripAdvisor Member hopejudith

Just returned from a week at Embassy Suites. The breakfast buffet was fine but the other food in the hotel was horrible and very expensive.

Staff was very helpful.

Watch out for your booking details. We booked a suite. When we checked in the hotel tried to switch us to a standard room. Despite the advertising, Not all rooms at the hotel are SUITES.

Never again!

by TripAdvisor Member on_vacations

We just returned from a week at the Embassy Suites (Sat - Sat). We were very disappointed! We were a family of 4 (w/children 12 & 14). The room had a sofa bed and a king bed. The sofa bed was horrible and not suitable for 2 older children to sleep on and the king bed was uncomfortable also. By Tues, we requested another room with 2 double beds - really no better comfort, but at least we had more beds! Maid service was late almost everyday --- between 4-5 PM.

The beach was small and more like dirt than sand. You had to drag your own chair from a pile of chairs onto the beach. My son stepped on a sea urchin in the water the first day and we needed to extract the needles from his foot. The pool was packed with small children.

Hotel food was very ordinary. Get to the morning buffet early or you are standing to eat your breakfast. Went to the Oregano Restaurant one night --- not great food and very slow service to just get a plate of pasta!

Golf course was not well maintained either. Much better maintained courses at the Hyatt Dorado.

Best meal for had: Old San Juan --- The Parrot Club. Take the ferry near the Bacardi factory and see Old San Juan and forts. Rain Forest was also a fun day, but it is almost 1 hour and 45 minutes to get there. Fun restaurant: Johnnie Rockets at the Hyatt (burgers and milkshakes and dancing waiters). Also, eat at the Surf Room at the Hyatt --- expensive, but excellent seafood and view of water!

Not a luxury resort by any standards and too many families with small children for us.

What happened to the beach?

by TripAdvisor Member DebiDBenny

I go away for the beach, what happened? They have better beaches in Florida. Just returned from the Embassy Suites in Dorado. The hotel is charming, the staff extremely nice, the buffet breakfast if you're not early forget about it. This is the first vacation I ever went on and didn't utilize the beach. Very rocky, and small, had to get your own lounge chair from a huge pile. Not worth it! My husband and I went at the wrong time, the kids - too many! Go down the street to the Hyatt Cerromar for the beach and pool, if you can afford it.

~ Ah....the good life! ~

by lolabunny

"Hotel & people"

I would never have visited Puerto Rico had it not been for my boyfriend who had to go for work. I was up for a free visit (frequent flyer miles & hotel/food paid for by work!) and had time to spare at work.

Well, that was a year ago and I've been there 3 times since. :-) It's not a destination spot that I would go to if the circumstances were different. It's known more for the pit stop for lots of cruises or jumps to more "resort/tourist" spots.

Keeping that in mind, I did like the place we stayed. We have always frequented the Embassy Suites Dorado, which is on the ocean. It's about 40 minutes east of San Juan. Most people there speak fluent english and you'll only run into a few people that do not.

"Weather & fun things"

The weather is beautiful there. I went in March, April & February and all were favorable. It does rain a bit but seems to be in spirts and doesn't last too terribly long.

We went horseback riding in Isabella, which was fantastic. It's with a group of people (so you aren't alone) and you ride horses along the beach.

We visited the Camuy Caves which was interesting but not very exciting.

We took a day trip on our own to El Yunque, the natural rainforest. That was fun, though the weather is the forest is...well, wet. :-) We hiked to some waterfalls and went swimming. Very cool!

We most recently took a day trip on a catamaran to go snorkeling (this was based out of Fajardo). This was by far the best "fun" trip we did. The snorkelin was a blast and we met some fun people while drinking on the trip back to dock

"Food"

If you like sushi, there are two places that I would recommend. The first is Zen Garden, which is located in the Hyatt Cerromar Hotel (Dorado). YUM! The second is actually in San Juan, located right next to the Marriot. This is the Cherry Blossom.

My absolute favorite though is Van Gogh's, again located near the Marriott (in the Condado area). I look forward to this each time we go. A bit on the pricey side but WELL WORTH IT! The chef/owner used to be Ricky Martin's personal chef. She visited our table and I couldn't stop raving about the fabulous food. Plantains are plentiful there. They are very similar to a banana but you cook them (usually used like a potato). At Van Gogh's to our meals were flash fried spinach (YUM!), smashed plantains wrapped in a banana leafe and a tropical/mango slaw. MMmm, my mouth waters just thinking about it!!!!

Dorado

by Noppo

Hello. I will be staying in Dorado area in the end of April. There are some restaurants in the hotel I am staying at but I would like to try local restaurants, cafe and bars. Are there any good restaurants to eat out and bars to hang out in Dorado? While staying there, I would also like to explore Old San Juan. How long does it take to get into Old San Juan from Dorado? Are there public transportation? Do I need to rent a car? I would appreciate your help and comments. Thank you.

Re: Dorado

by abeloff

Good restaurants in town include La Terrazza for seafood (there is also an upstairs terrace bar), El Ladrillo for excellent quality/varied menu, El Malecon for local Puerto Rican/"Criollo" cooking, Mangere for Italian, and Trattoria Gargani for Italian. About 45 minute drive to San Juan -- either take taxi (expensive), tour bus from your hotel, or rent a car(recommended way). Get directions from hotel concierge, but be very careful about driving at night -- locals drive very fast, and the side roads are full of potholes - main highways are fine, though.

Re: Re: Dorado

by Noppo

Thank you for the information. I would definitely try local food. Right now my work has been really hectic so I will be spedning most of my stay lying on the beach and snorkeling...

Comments