1000 Avenida Conquistador, Fajardo, Puerto Rico, 00738, Caribbean

Costs 29% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Las Casitas Village & Golden Door Spa

WYNDHAM EL CONQUISTADOR RESORT AND SPA

by ILOVEPUERTORICO

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GREAT HOTEL WITH ALL THE ACTIVITIES THAT YOU WILL LIKE TO DO IN A TROPICAL ISLAND, DON'T GO ANY OTHER PLACE THAN EL CONQUISTADOR. A PRIVATE ISLAND SERVE AS RECREATIONAL BEACH. WITH WATER SPORTS, HORSE RIDING AND VIP SERVICE. CASINO STORES 6 RESTAURANTS, BARS AND MORE. Wyndham El Conquistador Resort & Golden Door® Spa. Perched on top of cliffs overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, this majestic paradise is the perfect destination for outdoor recreation, championship golf and spa therapy. Each of the resort's four unique environments offers delightful touches and amenities of its own.

The Grand Hotel rises above it all with panoramic views, spacious bathrooms and walk-in closets. The ultra-luxurious Las Casitas Village offers a Spanish-style atmosphere with private check-in, pool and personal butler. The villas of Las Olas Village are built into the side of a cliff and offer breathtaking ocean views, while the balconies of La Marina Village overlook the sea - just steps from our marina and quaint shops.

Outside, we offer a host of pleasures. Enjoy our Arthur Hill championship golf course, wave running, horseback riding, windsurfing, scuba diving, fishing and swimming in one of six pools. Visit our private Palomino Island, explore the nearby El Yunque Rain Forest or relax in our Golden Door Spa and Fitness Center. Savor exquisite international cuisine and enjoy a sunset cruise. And after the sun goes down, the action heats up in our world-class casino.

You'll get the best of what Puerto Rico has to offer during your stay at Wyndham El Conquistador Resort & Golden Door Spa

Great Hotel

Quite honestly the las casitas is absolutely wonderful all around. From the amenities to the service. Listen my experience was wonderful, and let me tell you I have travelled abroad and stayed and many luxury hotels. This is one of the best. All those people that complain and say how bad this place are obviously out of their minds. Granted this is a tropical resort, and the culture is slightly different, so you wont always get the hand and foot treatment that you may use to, but its worth the stay. I say a 3 nite stay is ideal to get the most out of this place. Don't listen to the negative hype... Its simply ridiculous. This place is great...

Don't bother going if you're looking for a relaxing getaway...

We stayed at Las Casitas the week of February 21st. This was by far the WORST vacation I have ever been on. The accommodations were superb, which they should be since it’s allegedly a 5 star resort, and we happened to stay in a new bldg. While we were called a week before our stay to confirm our reservation and “courtesy limo” service from the airport, we were not made aware that check-in was at 4pm (our flight arrive at 10am), when we arrived at the hotel around 11am, we were told the room would be shortly. Shortly, turned into 3:30pm. For staying at a 5 star resort, the situation could have been handled far better than telling us we could change in the bathroom and lay out by the pool or get a drink while we waited for the room to be ready. It was also quite disheartening to watch your managers frantically try to find out if the room had been cleaned or not and get no response from the maid service. Transportation throughout the grounds of the hotel were horrendous, waiting 20 minutes for a golf cart, when it would take about 20 minutes to walk to your destination. And when our destination was dinner, it was quite a letdown. The restaurants were priced where you’d expect for a resort, however the quality was sub-par again for a 5 star resort. For what was supposed to be a romantic getaway for us, hardly was that, especially with the fact that it seemed as if we were there during family week. The island beach seemed like a novel idea, until we got there. De-boating seemed like we got to a kid’s playground with children running around everywhere. While we were informed that there’s an “adult’s section” it’s literally up a rocky dirt mountain path, which neither of us was willing to climb. The beach were also extremely rocky, again which isn’t acceptable for a 5 star resort. Timeliness of EVERYTHING was extremely slow, whether it’s because it was a busy week or the complex is vastly understaffed I don’t know, but when I’m told at the pool at Las Castitas that no one is around because it’s their day off, isn’t that management’s responsibility to schedule someone to cover. I was impressed with the butler service which was excellent, although they should let us know when our butler’s day off is (we tried to reach him and our call was not returned until 6 hours later, by someone else). Finally upon check out, we looked over the bill noticing that the courtesy limo service was being charged to us for over $400, which was never mentioned. Fortunately this was taken off the bill. Our butlers, Roberto and Eulid were great, as was our server at the café we had breakfast at, I believe her name was Lauren (?), and the bartender there, Mary. Overall, I would not recommend Las Casitas to anyone seeking a romantic 5 star getaway.

Nice Family Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member havaneserule

The Casitas are beutifully sited around three pools with lush landscaping. Our 2-bdrm was roomy for our family of 4 with spectacular ocean views (we were upgraded from golf course view - what a treat!).
First, the bad: Our first five days the pools were very quiet -Thanksgiving changed that to crowded pools and very poor housekeeping (they didn't even come one day). We were in a newer Casita, so the complementary breakfast was a LONG hike up to the older Casitas - and the hot items were $18 pp. Even hot chocolate isn't free - charged us $4. Use of the gym at the Golden Door Spa is $25/day - a "5 Star" resort should include it. The "free" gym is at the Marina (10 min walk/ride on funicular) with limited, old equipment.

The good: Having the use of all the El Con facilities is a big plus - with lots for the kids to do. The 24-hr butlers were very helpful - setup a great kayaking trip on a nearby bioluminescent bay and a scuba dive. If you want luxury and quiet, yet enough action for teens (our group had 5) - this is the place. The kids could head over to Palamino Island for a beach day while parents enjoyed the pools. For food - two offsite restaurants were great - and reasonable - Lolitas (mexican) and Metropol- both in Fajardo. The Hotel's Japanese rest. was fun but $400+ for the eight of us. Rent a car and save money by getting groceries - especially with kids. The kitchen is well-equiped w/ big fridge. We often stay at Ritz so wanted comparable luxury for a family vacation. Despite a few issues, we feel we got it at Las Casitas.

reviews not far off

where to start okay the weather was awesome can't beat the carribbean sea for some beautiful sailing snorkeling kayaking and the beaches are gorgeous - now on to the casitas village - we (myself, my husband and three children) were fortunate to get the newest section of las casitas which just opened in november - the unfortunate part is that they have some kinks to work out - the hotel itself was overbooked (read real crowded) and understaffed (way understaffed) i have read in trip advisor a suggestion to tip your butler at the time of arrival to assure great service and attentiveness this did not work we saw our butler upon arrival and never again after that - i had to call the concierge the first two days to get them to clean up the villas (at 4:00 in the afternoon mind you) the main pool and the infinity pool were packed beyond belief i cant imagine how early towels were being place on chairs it felt like they were sneaking out during the night the upside of this being that the pool in the new section was a well kept secret the only problem being that there was no food or drink service - we were AMAZED by the prices of food (which is saying alot as we dine in NYC on a steady basis) even room service had a delivery charge as well as a 20% service charge tacked on and forget about Palimino island it was beautiful however on friday by noon they had closed off the island as they had reached their limit of 1200 occupants - excuse me its an island for crying out loud when we did get on it on saturday by 10 am finding a lounge chair was near impossible! the frustration of the guests was so high that tempers were flying from time to time (read real pushy) the errors on bills at checkout were laughable as there was a line of people complaining about mischarging - the room service menu took three days to arrive at our room (my teenage son loves room service) and the in room movies did not work- i wouldnt go back with the kids as there was too little for them to do and too costly for them as a whole our villas was gorgeous and had we stayed at the main hotel i would have been greatly dissapointed -

Paradise!

Just got back from the resort and it was better than we imagined. Of course, i read the reviews before we left and some were not so good. The views were breathtaking and the employees were friendly with tips on happy hours and hideaway places for us to enjoy. Our favorite was the infinity pool and hot tub where we drank coffee in the morning and watched the sun rise! As far as the private island is concerned, it was breathtaking. There were all kinds of activities, restaurant and shopping on the island. We rented the snorkeling equipment for $8 per person for the day and had a ball. There are coral reefs all around and you don't need to take take the $65 a day snorkel trip. The boat ride out there was fun and sometimes can see dolphins. If you didn't know about the boat ride out, then you did not do much research on the resort before you left. Well worth the money!

they need to clean and remodelated the rooms

Looking for a special place, We stay at the Conquistador.
This is a beautiful hotel but the room need to be repair. the ambiance during the week is horrible. The food is expensive an thanks to the people from Concierge, they recomended a restaurant: Pasion por el fogon, we visit this restaurant two night, because the food was amazing an the price very reasonable. Our best moments in Puerto Rico was the time we spend in this place. Our recomendation. Do not eat in the Hotel, too expensive, go to this restaurant, you will love it.

not so great for the money

by TripAdvisor Member sam0256

I usually take what people say on these reviews with a grain of salt but sad to say most of the reviews were almost all true.
Before the vacation began we had problems with getting the package we requested. Talked to many different people but no one had a straight answer, and this contunued on all through the vacation. Here are the Pros and cons.
Pros-
Grounds are beautiful and well kept up.
Rooms (new) are great, they are really nice.
Cart drivers were all very helpful and nice seemed to be more helpful than anyone else on the property.
Beach is nice but a bit rocky.
Cons-
To get a golf cart you have to wait 10-20 mins. You may call and request one to be waiting but most of the time you still have to wait.
Billed for many things that we were not suppose to pay for. Tried to make us pay for things that were suppose to be in the package. (still have not cleared it up all the way)
Lines were rediculous at the time when we went. Although it was a puerto rician holiday.
Beach was always crowded.
Most of the staff was not helpful what so ever. Tend to be rude and they do not appologize for mistakes they have made.
Went to 4 different resturants ALL were VERY EXPENSIVE. Example- eggs and bacon $16.00, a hamburger is $15.00, and dinner is any where from 25-80. Never mind a coke is $5.00. 2 out of the 4 resturaunts gave us the wrong dinner and never came by and even apologized.
Every bill we had for three of us was always over $200.00.

Overall-
I would not suggest this resort if you are trying to have a relaxing vacation. There always seemed to be a new problem. You could never get a straight answer on where how long or what time things are going on. Before going I read these reviews and I wish I had listened to them. I hope this helps for all that are trying to plan a great vacation.

Wow! What a great experience

by TripAdvisor Member dsterkenberg

We stayed here for our 1st anniversary and can only speak highly about this hotel. We didn't enjoy the 2 hour bus trip but the drinks on the bus are a great diversion. Check in if you are not a Wyndham by Request member took up to 2 hours. So join--it's free and the check in is much better!
The spa & fitness center are wonderful. The tennis courts very nice. The private island is very enjoyable. The infinity pool wonderful. The rooms very nice. Only thing I missed was a "happy hour" with some type of entertainment. The drinks are a little overpriced. The view of the ocean is fantastic even with the African Sand. Would definitely go back!

Terrible, but loved the infinity pool

My family and I took a trip there this past month and we stayed one of the newer Casitas. Upon arrival we expected the "butler" service to help us with our bags and to get setteled in. However the "butler service" that was raved about, was seemingly non-existant. On first look our casita was very nicely appointed. But after closer examination, we found out hot water was turned off and there were dirty dishes in the sink. The view was decent, we overlooked the two skyscrapers in Farjado and we were on the bottom casita. We ventured to the larger hotel for dinner and the service was horrible. The food was terrible and that was the last meal we had at the hotel other than the mediocre breakfasts. The concierge was very terrible at getting us reservations. We wanted private tours of pats of Puerto Rico and the hotel was unable to acccomadate us. If you are used to luxury traveling complete with private tours, this is not the hotel for you. The only tours offered on a big tour bus, without any privacy. We spent the whole week trying to get a boat to Culebra and Vieques, but the hotel was unable to reserve us a boat. The one thing we did love about the hotel was the private pools in the resort, especially the infinity pool. This was the one great part of the hotel. Our stay was supposed to be 8 days, but we only ended up staying for 5 of the 8 and we spent the rest of the trip at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan, which we highly recommend. Hope this review helped.

Samsung CDMA Base station and battery backupSamsung CDMA Base station and battery backup

Things to do in Fajardo

by maflynn

We are considering renting a condo in Fajardo in march 2008. Ages range from 20 - 50. Is there good snorkling? What about nightlife? We will be there during spring break. Any suggestions for activities?

by GaryGreer

As you probably know, ferries to Culebra and Vieques depart Fajardo. There is an excellent park, raised walkways, Cabezos de San Juan. The rain forest is twenty-five minutes away. Luquillo beach, thought by many to be the best in PR is right there. There are numerous clubs, etc. with varied night life and a good number of Continentals (i.e. stateside folks). Snorkeling/SCUBA are off shore and can be accessed via rental boat.

Gary Greer

by maflynn

Thank you for the suggestions -- I find its difficult to plan a multi-generational trip that isn't dictated by a specific itinerary ("on tuesday we will all go to ...."). 1 of my sons are accompanying us -- with his girl friend-- last year they spent spring break in Acalpulco and while they don't want to replicate that experience they do want to have a little nightlife/barhopping fun with their contemporaries. As most of the group are avid fisherman/waterskiers, we thought Fajardo would be perfect for us.

by GaryGreer

Dear MaFlynn,
Your son can look forward to more night life in Fajardo than he had in Acapulco. The El Conquistador resort is there, as are numerous small bars for drinking and dancing. Puerto Ricans party. The ferry trip to Culebra can be a memorable experience. Culebra is actually closer to St. Thomas than to the main island of PR. The harbor is quite beautiful and hiking around can be fun since you can see a lot of birds. One can leave Fajardo in the morning, go to Culebra for a few hours and return to Fajardo in the afternoon. Vieques, too, is available by ferry and the trip is considerably shorter. It is there that you can visit the bioluminescent bay (mentioned by another VT member), but, likely, you would need to stay overnight. You are "water folks" so I suggest you go down to the harbor rent a small boat and get out to one of the nearby tiny islands. Beach the boat and put on your flippers. Take plenty of provisions because you won't want to come back for lunch or, maybe, even dinner.

BTW, my wife and I are thinking of renting a condo in Fajardo sometime this spring. We would appreciate hearing how you liked the place where you stayed.

Gary Greer

by Yanissepr

Fajardo is one of the best choices in the island when it comes to different ages group. Couple of minutes (from 25 to 45 depending on the traffic) is also the Isla Verde and Old San Juan areas, where everyone in the family can enjoy. It is full of bars, clubs and dining places. If you take the coast going to Rio Grande (where the rainforest is) you can also enjoy nice sights. If you go down to Naguabo, you can find nice beaches to fish, but not for snorkeling and the seafood is ummmmm, from the sea to the table, very fresh. There are plenty of choices around Fajardo, my suggestion is to stop by one of the tourism kiosk at the airport and they will let you know some other choices around. Enjoy the island!!!

by misheln

Hi, I noticed that you want to rent a condo in Fajardo, so do we. We are planning to go in March as well, during spring break. 3/25 - 4/2. I have a family of 7 and out of those 7, I have 4 teenage kids, 3 boys and 1 girl. We are also water people, and plan on doing some water stuff. I'm actually puerto rican but I live in South Orange County, California. I have been to Puerto Rico many times when I was younger, and usually stay with family in the central part, which is in the country. I now want to stay close to the beach areas. We will stay in Fajardo for 3 nights and Humacao for the rest of our trip. Humacao is a very nice place too. It's a little more ritzy. I'm not sure of the night life, but I know my kids are wanting to do some night life stuff. As for snorkeling, we will be doing that for sure. I have taken the ferry to Viegues Island, and it was amazing. Beaches were bueatiful. You can do the Biolumnescent bay at night which I haven't done, but I hear it's something out of this world, and the best time to do that is when there is no moon, and I checked out the solar websites and there will not be any moon for the whole time we are going to be there(spring Break). We are thinking about doing it, but it is pricy. The snorkeling runs from 69.00 to 75.00 per person. The cheapest I've found was 69.00 on the catermran "TRAVELER" in Fajardo. They also do BIO BAY Kayaking for 45.00pp, there is Sunset cruises for 50.00pp. Jet skiing for 90.00p/h Kind of high, at least I think so, since we own our own Sea Doo's, but we cant take them with us. There is alot to do. I also plan on going to the different beaches around. They have gorgous beaches all over. The Rain Forest is a must do, as well as the Camuy Caverns & Worlds Largest radar/radio Telescope and going into Old San Juan and visiting El Morro Fort/ San Cristobal Fort. If you have any information on things to do for night life, let me know. I'm sure I can contact family and ask them, but they mostly stay in the central areas, away from the tourist areas. Well maybe we will come across each other during our stay, you will have a great time, I promise.

by maflynn

Thnak you for the information. Everything I'm hearing about the area sounds wonderful. I can't wait to go! But now its seems like the trip will be pushed back to May. Enjoy your trip

Comments