4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Must go even if u dont have money, take photos!!

The hotel is beautiful, even if you are not staying I still suggest to stop by. You will be able to take pictures of beautiful panoramic views. If you stay here, they take you on the hotel's boat to their own private island "palomino" where you will enjoy pina coladas or coconut juice straight from the coconut while enjoying the sun, clear water white sand. it is one of my favorite best spots in Puerto Rico and I def. recommend it to any tourist.

Unique Quality: the hotel has great view, nice pool, friendly employees, comfortable and clean rooms, casino, bars, you can enjoy your drinks outside by the pool with a beautiful view and sunny breeze. The restaurant offers great food.
    oh! and a huge golf course for those golf lovers out there!

Directions: ask, any local should know. its in "las croabas"

• saw50st8's Profile Photo

A spot of Nature

On arrival, the check in lines were long. However, they did serve some tropical drinks (free of charge) to placate people. The rooms were ver nice and spacious -- we had two adjoining rooms, which when opened, really did feel like one. The rooms were nicely decorated and opened to a central courtyard, which had lush tropical plants and nice places to sit. The room was on the ground floor and had a veranda, which went out right to the tennis courts and golf course (which I did not use either of them).

As the days went on, we noticed that worms were in the room and multiplying. By the end of our stay there were maybe 20 in the room. We complained to the hotel and they refunded us $400, which I felt was very appropriate.

There are unbelievable pools on the property, beautiful areas to wander and a nice hot tub, which seemed empty more often than not. We used it alone many times. There is also a bar on the marina and we had a lot of fun drinking and hanging out there.

The best feature of the hotel was the private beach. You take a ferry out to a private island where the beach is. The beach usually has a lot of people there and they are doing all sorts of activities like volleyball and windsurfing. The sand was white and beautiful, but the water had more seaweed then I would have liked.

My mother got a lava rock massage at the spa which she loved.

There are also many stores on the premises for jewelry, beach attire and knicknacks, plus a whole assortment of water sports you can book right at the hotel.

Overall, an excellent place to stay, I would definitely stay there again.

Unique Quality: Private beach, excellent spa, near the rainforest

• liqdstar's Profile Photo

Great Stop-over Hotel

I spent one night in Fajaro Inn because we wanted to catch the first ferry out to Vieques in the morning. the inn is great, the staff is incredibly helpful and friendly!
    They have a great pool and a couple of restaurants on their property.

As for the restaurants, we had dinner at the Blue Iguana and didnt really like it. Although the service was excellent and really friendly, the food was lacking. It was a bit too bland for me. I had the burritos and nachos, and the nachos came soggy and unappetizing.
    But we had flan for dessert, which was really really good. In the morning we got some coffee to go, which (like most Puerto Rican coffee) was really good. The beer is fairly cheap too. I didnt try their other restaurant.

The hotel has a van service that will take you to the local beaches if you don't have a car. This worked out great since we caught a cab from the airport, and didn't want to rent a car until we got to vieques!

The inn is about a 5 min drive from Seven Seas beach. It's also walking distance to the Culebra/Vieques ferries.

We had a pretty large room with a kitchenette and a jacuzzi for a nominal price. We stayed at the regular inn ( the "scenic inn" didnt look too great, I would recommend staying at the main inn)

Unique Quality: Good views and room size. Staff couldnt have been better.

• We stayed at the Fajardo Inn.

We stayed at the Fajardo Inn.
    It was about $100 a night, US dollars, including all of the taxes, etc.

The restaurants in the inn are pricey, unappetizing and have terrible service. We ate there once when my wife was not feeling well and the dinner was terrible. There was not one native dish on the menu that was not 'americanized'. My wife ate two breakfasts and a lunch there while I SCUBAed and was overcharged for simple food. Her $7 breakfast was worse than the $2.25 breakfast at the ferry dock.

Unique Quality: It has a pool, a couple of restaurants, maybe 60 rooms. Some rooms have much better views than others. Our room, labeled 'sea view' meant that you could see the sea between two buildings, maybe a 5 degree view.

The Inn is very new, maybe only a couple of years. There is nothing really wrong with the facilities, it is just not managed like it should be. The policies the hotel has dont make you feel like you are really all that welcome. The rooms are very, very sparse without ANY counter space in the bathroom, a clock, paper and pencil, etc. A tiny dresser held the TV, a tiny table and two uncomfortable chairs by the window and the bed (which rocked so much we would have been embarrassed if we had not pulled it a foot from the wall before my wife and I 'retired' for the night.)
    In short, it was missing the little ammenities that we usually took for granted. Another example is that the hotel room did not have a hair dryer built in. Most $100 a night places have these, so my wife did not pack one. They lent her one at the front desk, but made her sign a bunch of paperwork and threatened her that it would cost her $50 if she did not bring it back in good condition. They just lack that hard to define 'hospitality'.

Also, if you want your room cleaned, you have to put out one of the little 'clean my room now please' signs or it will be 4:00 before they get to it. But, I recommend just asking for more towels as needed and telling them not to bother. They were using some disinfectant that brought to mind a sanatarium rather than a tropical hotel. With no cross ventilation and just a noisy window air conditioner built into the wall, we had to leave the door wide open and the windows open to get the room aired out for a couple of hours when we first moved in.

The pool, while not large, was immacualte and there were two kinds of loungers, the hard plastic kind and the PVC strap kinds. (I like the plastic ones and the wifely unit like the strap ones, so we were both happy.) Just the right amount of shade and sun in the pool location. We spent a lot of our siestas at the pool rather than the depressing room.

Directions: It is off of route 194 east of town. Go about 3/4 km, then you turn up a hill on your left. About 150 meters up the hill is the driveway on your right.

Watch the directions that they give you on the

More about El Conquistador Resort & Golden Door Spa

the El Conquistador is...

by kathycollins

the El Conquistador is magnificent! I have never stayed in a more luxurious accommodation! From the beautiful lobby to the exquisite pools, to the cable tram ride down the cliffside to the island beach a short boatride away...this is one exquisite place!

If you've got some money...

by cvilla007 about El Conquistador Resort

If you've got a bank roll, I suggest staying at the Wyndham El Conquistador Resort. They've got a grand casino, probably one of the nicest I've seen. If you're too poor to stay there (like me) then check out the casino anyway. Parking is about $10. It's worth it. The casino

A great place to stay

by PrincessK about Wyndham El Conquistador Resort & Golden Door Spa

BEAUTIFUL... many things to do... everyone there is very nice to you and this includes the wait staff and the hotel employees. Great service .. would totally recommend staying here while visiting Puerto Rico. El Conquistador is a medley of four unique resort environments, each excluding its own personality and style. And all containing their own management and concierge staff. Accommodations throughout the resort feature multi line telephones, two televisions with movie channels, a VCR, stereo with compact disc player, fully stocked honor bar, in-room safes, and even irons and ironing boards for your convenience. The Grand Hotel is comprised of two distinctive wings located in the heart of the resort. Las Brisas is a unique V-shaped structure offering panoramic views seldom witnesses. Las Brisas also features Club Conquistador, providing guests special "Club" amenities and services.

HYATT REGENCY'S CERROMAR AND...

by .diego

HYATT REGENCY'S CERROMAR AND DORADO BEACH CLUBS are the most popular resorts on the north coast...great beaches and internationally known golf courses. CERROMAR is more touristy; DORADO has more of a secluded feel.
EL CONQUISTADOR is a mammoth on the coast. its huge, its expensive, its the best
If you're gonna see the whole sialnd, i recommend the 'PARADORES' stationed throughout the island. these bring you local cuisine and events and carribean privacy and hospitality...the best. you can get their individual names and locations at the airport.

El ConquistadorEl Conquistador

Taxi fare from SJU to Wyndham El Conquistador

by hollyr1109

does anyone know the taxi fare from the San Juan airport to the Wyndham El Conquistador?

Thanks.

by liqdstar

hmm i took a cab from sju to fajardo inn, which isnt too far from wyndham el conquistador and it was about $60.
not exactly the answer to your question, but hope that helps

by diver-x

The cabbie said $60 but we got him down to $40. You have to bargain hard to get a break. We started to walk away before he agreed to $40. We tipped him well, though.

by boricua12

Hi!!

In this same forum, there is a question about the "publico" way.

One of the replies have information about two cabs companies, and their phone numbers and names.
I found it very helpful, so I suggest you to call and make sure about the rate. I guess it must be $60 for the ride.

Good luck!!!!

RE: Taxi fare from SJU to Wyndham El Conquistador

by bebacksoon

I stayed just down the road from the Wyndham this week. The cab ride from SJU was $65. But for the ride back I found a cabbie down by the ferry to Culebra that took me back for $50 and it was faster too. FYI the cabbie's name is adrian and he has a small beat up blue car.

RE: RE: Taxi fare from SJU to Wyndham El Conquistador

by liqdstar

Yes, I got a rate a lot cheaper on the way back from the ferry than on the way there!

RE: Taxi fare from SJU to Wyndham El Conquistador

by AliciaRoyce

Hi, To answer your question is, Maybe you can ask the Hotel to pick you up.
I has seen the big "Tour Bus" outside the airport...Maybe taxi is a bit to high. I will recommend to take a half tour to one of the privates islands very cheap. Like catamaran...I took one with Captain Mingo in Fajardo, per $35.00 all day, with food and drinks. ( He speak English...)
If you have any questions, send me an E-mail.

by Gypsystravels

I just answered this same question on a different post.

The cab fare can vary in price and it would be best to bargin the driver a bit if you can. The fare is around $70-$100, so if you can bargin below $60, you did good.

You can also try the hotel shuttle, but they charge around $34 pp which can add up for a family.

Janet