Caribe Mountain Villas

Carr 857 Km 6.0, Barrio Canovanillas, Carolina, Puerto Rico, 00985, Caribbean

• Terrible experience!

My mother, my husband, 1-year old daughter and I stayed at Caribe Mountain Villas for two nights in December 2008, and had a very disappointing experience due to the lack of cleanliness and service. Our villa was unswept when we arrived, and I had to walk down to the host's quarters to request a broom, mop and bucket so I could clean the floors before letting our daughter play around. At the time I did not realize that the bedrooms were carpeted and equally dirty, or else I would have also requested a vacuum! The host asked that we leave the bucket, broom and mop outside the villa and they would be picked up the next morning; but in fact they were still there 2 days later when we departed. In addition, although the host indicated it would be done, our garbage was never picked up, and fresh towels were never brought.

We were not expecting luxury or any sort; only a peaceful place where we could relax at night after sightseeing. But the 'villa' fell short of any modest expectation we might have had. Aside from dirty floors (which, of course, made us wonder about the cleanliness of the less obvious parts of the villa), the overall condition of the facilities was very poor. The location has great potential. But it looks unkept overall. The paint was chipping inside the villa, there was mold and rust around the base of the toilet, some window treatments consisted of a piece of cloth held up by thumbtacks, and the satellite TV service was not working the entire time we were there. The host indicated the latter was due to a storm that had gone through a couple of days prior, which made us very suspicious since the stormy season in the island had ended a month before!

I will not return and would not recommend Caribe Mountain Villas to anyone expecting a decent level of cleanliness and any amount of service. It would be a good place if you are used to camping and expect a similar type of experience.

• chodearm's Profile Photo

Sleeping in the Rainforest

Prior I dreamed of sleeping in a Mountain House in a Rainforest. A request put forth by VT Member Kazander. This place was exactly what I expected a stay in the forest would amount. Climbing a swervy serpantine road off RT. 3 the Caribe Villas sit mountainside offering views of the rainforest valleys. Adjacent to the Carribean National Forest perfect lift off positioning for seeing the whole east side of Puerto Rico. The pool here was perfect, and the rooms were larger than most NY apartments. Highly reccomended.

Directions: Turn right at the Condom World in Carnovañas follow the swervy road until you come to the sign.

• kazander's Profile Photo

Perfect Rainforest Hideaway

I loved this place so much, I have no doubt in my mind that we will be coming back here. We stayed in the coqui villa, which is about 1500 square feet with a huge covered porch with gorgeous mountain views. A perfect place to lay on the hammock and drink your coffee in the morning. This place may not be for everyone, it's really "do it yourself". You are the one to cook, clean and make your bed. I don't mind that at all, but some people might. The location is perfect though, out of the way, but not far from rt 3 which will take you to many, many Purto Rico attractions. Ask your hosts Mitchell and Jeff for help with just about anything, planning and booking trips, resturant recommendations, ect. Jeff wasn't there when we visted, but Mitchell was incredibly helpful.

Unique Quality: We found it so relaxing here. It's very quiet, save the sounds of roosters and coqui frogs, and maybe the occasional car going far too fast up the windy mountain road! We could have just stayed at the villa the entire time and been happy. The grounds have all sorts of fruit trees (the bananas are the best I had ever tasted!) flowers, including many types of haliconia and orchids. There is a pool and a spot to barbeque as well.
    The road leading to the villa is very steep and windy, and the driveway is even steeper! It's a bit daunting at first, but you will soon get used to it.

Comments