Puerto Rico Hotels

Our Members Say

• Reviews: 620

The Gallery Inn at Galeria San Juan: The best hotel ever (in San Juan)

Ahhh, if I could have stayed here, it would have made my trip even better. But, I just got to meet some of the people who work here and take a tour of this place. My friend is friends with the owner, the woman who also does the artwork that you'll see throughout the building. It's completely amazing...her specialty is busts and other sculpture, mostly, from what I saw, things that include faces:)

I don't even know where to begin. The whole place is unique. I'll just list some of the features:

The building is 300 years old
There are exotic birds, mostly parrots everywhere in the courtyard
Fountains, plants, sculptures...
A room with a 9 foot grand Steinway piano.
There's terraces and courtyards, an open air lobby...

You have your choice of rooms: the artists room is $145, The colonial rooms are $195, Vista Rooms are $270 and the Topside Suite is $350. A night. You can understand why I didn't stay here.

• Written April 1, 2004

sitting area

Wyndham Old San Juan Hotel and Casino: Right in the middle of Old San Juan

I stayed here my first night in town for 2 reasons: 1) I didn't know anyplace BUT old San Juan and 2) I found a really great price on their website. The hotel is BEAUTIFUL. My room was okay, it was nothing special, but that's because I didn't pay for anything special. I'm not a 4 star hotel kind of girl--if anything, I prefer tents to hotels if given the choice, but I don't think there's too much in the way of campsites in Old San Juan and I'd be a little skeptical if there was:) Anyway, like I said, it's a great hotel...the people are very nice, it's located next to everything you might want to see in Old San Juan.

It has a great rooftop pool and bar that overlooks the water and the whole city:) Everything I've read about it considers it a luxury hotel...perhaps it was.

I need to tell you to look on their own website for deals. I paid $99 a night and someone I talked to much later in the week paid $350 a night for the same kind of room. So, I'll put the price range somewhere in the middle

I really wish I had a picture, but there's lots of them on their own website.

• Written March 26, 2004

Casa de Playa Hotel: Isla Verde hotel

I needed to get back to the airport the next day, so I wanted to be close and Isla Verde is the best choice for that. Oceanfront hotels, cheaper than San Juan and 5 minutes by car to the airport. As I described in my nightlife tip of this place, it has a great bar that is a local hangout.

Well, the fact it's RIGHT on the ocean is a decent quality. I walked out of my room, onto the terrace and out to the beach. Also, it has an internet kiosk for $1.00 per half hour which, by far is the best price I found ($3.00 for 1/2 hour in Vieques) and the breakfast is okay. Also, there's a good Italian restaurant at the hotel called Freddo's.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written March 26, 2004

Casa Cubuy Ecolodge: El Yunque Ecolodge

Although the Casa Cubuy Ecolodge is a little difficult to get to (especially late at night when it is raining), it is worth the trip! It is "hidden" near southside of El Yunque and has spectacular views! We didn't have A/C in our room, however we didn't feel it was necessary. We had a small fan above the bed that was sufficient. There is an honor system if you want a drink or a snack at night. The host has an American breakfast (pancakes) which is good if you aren't looking for local food. The only restaurant nearby is a local joint about a mile down the mountain, however it serves some of the best Puerto Rican food we had during our trip! The owners were very friendly (especially if you spoke spanish and drank liquor with them!). It is easy to be friendly with the locals here!

The hotel rooms overlook a large waterfall that is on the property. You can swim in the pools underneath the waterfall. There are also several hikes that the hotel staff can give you directions for (one is short and easy; the other is longer and more difficult). The jungle is breathtaking! Our room had hammocks outside where we could relax and watch the waterfall while listening to the jungle noises.

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, Eco-Tourism

The view of Casa Cubuy from the waterfalls

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tamarindo Estates: Culebra - a piece of heaven!

Tamarindo Estates is beautiful! There is a private beach with a decent coral reef right on the property. The road to the hotel is a little rough, so we definitely recommend renting a 4x4 vehicle! We rented a 4x4 Suzuki Samari (manual transmission) from the hotel. I can't imagine trying to get around without it!

Clean pool. Quiet, private beach. Clean facilities. Hot water. Hotel rate included the car rental.

• Related to: Beaches, Water Sports, Diving and Snorkeling

Tamarindo Estates - Culebra

• staindesign profile photo staindesign
  • Reviews: 241

Easily googled: Guest Houses

I love guesthouses. I guess they could be compared to hostels but perhaps a bit more private. All of the places are easily referred by locals or phone numbers on the front sign. They are like little apartments that range from $40-80 per night. It is probably the easiest and most affordable way to stay in Puerto Rico.

Clean, shared space with locals, and cheap

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written January 10, 2012

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Phil's on the beach: Best beach house rental

Phil's is a great place to go if you want to wake up to the waves and the sunrise. I stayed a couple of nights when I first got here. I was able to snorkel, body board and fish all in two days. It's a huge house and I felt like I had it to myself. We bbq'd one night, and I played with his dog. It's close to town and it's very clean and organized. I would highly recommend this house for large groups of people. Lots of space for entertaining right on the beach with beautiful views and sea breezes.

Private

• Written April 27, 2012

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tradewinds: small hotel and restaurant in Esperanza

Having superb food, this small hotel boasts breathtaking views from the shore of Esperanza, one of the two towns in Vieques. The rooms are simple and small, sometimes noisy from the bustle of the restaurant, but there's access to an outdoor patio from each of the rooms and the ocean is right outside. Friendly owner, friendly service and in a great location to either dine at sunset looking at boats bobbing in a silver sea, or skip to any outdoor sea sport imaginable.

They also have a gift shop of souvenirs, shirts, towels, etc.

• Written January 9, 2012

• magdalena2007 profile photo magdalena2007
  • Reviews: 60

Ritz Carlton San Juan: Excellent service

We had a wonderful time staying at this hotel, the service was great and it wasn’t over crowded (probably because it was June). There was a little miscommunication during our excursion booking and the manager took full responsibility and ended up treating us to a wonderful restaurant and the excursion the following day. The hotel manager was very professional and from a small mistake they went out and beyond my expectations.

The only thing that bothered me was that we were so close to the airport, while at the pool you hear the planes every 2 minutes. (You don't hear it when in your room)

• Written August 5, 2007

Fajardo Inn: Fajardo Inn

The Fajardo Inn is an exceptionally clean hotel. We stayed there as a last minute decision because it is so close to the ferry dock (we wanted to catch an early ferry). They take credit cards (without an additional fee), so we were happy that we could hang onto our cash a little longer...

Exceptionally clean and close to the ferry...we checked in late and checked out early, therefore we didn't have a chance to check out the facilities too much...

Esperanza Inn: Private cabanas

A sweet spot just a few buildings down from the beach in Esperanza, this Inn offers a private cabana, a swimming pool and full kitchen for cooking your own meals. The owners are local and friendly Americans, the place is meticulously cleaned and there are even some resident cats and dogs that have been saved by the Inn.

• Written January 9, 2012

• Allikatac profile photo Allikatac
  • Reviews: 48

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mi Otra Madres Casa: Free Rent!

I lucked out and got free room & board at my bf's moms. There's nothing like a home-cooked Puerto Rican meal and a free room!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written March 3, 2004

Home Sweet Home

• Schasm profile photo Schasm
  • Reviews: 14

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Intercontinental - San Juan: A Decent Resort

Hotel is near airport in Isla Verde. It has a beautiful pool complete with Waterfall, bridge and whirlpool. 6 restaurants and several (4?) bars on site. Even a Casino.
We chose this Hotel which was part of an airfare package through cheaptickets.com. Since it averaged less than $50/night with the package, this hotel was by FAR a great deal!

The beach at Isla Verde is beautiful. The hotel also has an awesome workout facility! (Much better than any other hotel I've been to).
Only downfall is the restaurants and bars are too expensive! (Even more than we expected). And Isla Verde offers little more that other resorts/hotels.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Beaches
  • Written August 25, 2005

View from Pool

• BergsFinest profile photo BergsFinest
  • Reviews: 43

The Water Club: Amazing Hotel

The Water Club is inexpensive, and once you get there you'll wonder why. The water theme makes everything look very futuristic, especially the waterfall down the side of the elevator. It's oceanfront on the beach in Isla Verde, and while on the beach, a waiter will bring you drinks. It has a sushi bar and an open air bar on the roof, which turns into a techno discoteca on the weekend nights. The view from the roof is breathtaking. The rooms are new, clean, and comfortable. It was actually rated in Travel & Leisure as one of the best hotels in one category or enough. It lives up to the hype!

If you don't stay here, I recommend coming for a drink and lounging on one of the roof's couches, while enjoying the view.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Seniors
  • Written February 13, 2006

The roof of the Water Club

• JREllison profile photo JREllison
  • Reviews: 189

Beach front Hotels

In the heart of the upscale hotels off Ashford Avenue there is a small beach known as La Ventana al Mar. or “window to the sea,” a swath of buildings have been replaced by open, public space with a fountain and a walkway stretching out into the ocean. Instead of being lined up along the Avenida Ashford, the businesses here are lined up towards the Atlantic, perpendicular to the street and facing the plaza and the crashing waves The day was warm and the waves cool, we waded in the surf for awhile, sat on the stone benches while we planned the remainder of our day.

• Related to: Cruise, Family Travel