Carr 186 El Verde, 00745, Caribbean

• podacaster's Profile Photo

El Yunque Bed and Breakfast

I love the El Yunque rainforest. I've always wanted to live here. It is incredibly peaceful. Every evening the sounds of the coquis lull one to sleep. Every morning is greeted with a multitude of bird-calls. The rainforestinn is at the end of a mile long private drive. There are no other houses or businesses around. It isa very private secluded location. A trail leads out the back porch to a swimming hole at the top of an incredible waterfall.

I would recommend anyone to stay here who is a nature lover. There is no air conditioning, no radio, and no TV. Water is collected from rainfall. You need a rental car to get there. A gourmet breakfast is served every morning but there is no restaurant on the property. The chalet has a full kitchen and the hosts suggest excellent nearby restaurants.

Unique Quality: High speed internet is served in both the villa and chalet with WIFI. Incredible views of the rainforest (you're in it) and the Caribbean sea down below. Knowledgeable hosts help with your vacation itinerary or stay out of your way. The gourmet breakfast is served on your own private table on your front porch.

Directions: Rio Grande only forty-five minutes from the airport.

More about Rainforest Inn

Absolutely Wonderful!!

My trip to Puerto Rico would not have been complete without going to the Rainforest Inn. Bill and Laurie are wonderful and I just love Shane (guide and volunteer) he's my son! Laurie prepared an incredible dinner in the Ocean View Suite and it was truly a magical evening. The rooms are welcoming and comfortable, the view of the ocean high upon the mountain is spectacular. After you're enjoyed the many activities available nearby, you can retreat to the Inn and the music of the rainforest. I can't wait to go back!

Doesn't deserve 5 stars

This review is long overdue, but after looking back and seeing all these 5 star reviews, I just had to comment. Sure it sounds great on the web, especially if you are a nature lover. But when I think of nature I also think of a peaceful, quiet, relaxing place, which the Rainforest Inn is not. When I was there it was under construction and they were hammering early in the morning (yes, 7am) with no respect for sleeping guests. At one point I was in the shower and the guys were on the roof right outside my window (no curtain). Definitely not the place for intimate privacy. It's basically an apartment above Bill and Laurie's house. And Bill likes to talk, ALOT. Yeah sure, he'll take you on a hike but he'll also charge you $35 for it. I don't see any pluses here other than that it's in the rainforest and close to some great hikes and waterfalls. Did I mention we didn't have electricity or running water the first night we arrived? They call it a "brown out". I wouldn't mind so much if we weren't paying to stay. Make sure you know what you're getting into.

rainforestinn.com is a gem

My friend and I traveled to Puerto Rico last week and used trip adviser to make our choice on where to stay. We are both women and don’t speak Spanish so Bill and Laurie’s suggestions really made a big difference for us in getting around, having adventures and feeling safe doing them. The Rainforest Inn is a gem. You really are immersed in the rainforest while staying there.

We had to drive up a mile on a private road to get to their estate where we were met with pina coladas, yum. We arrived early in the day and were taken on a hike to a private waterfall, very private, very serene and beautiful. The view from their rainforest chalet is breathtaking – the ocean on one side and El Yunque on the other.

The evenings were incredible just sitting on the porch and listening to the coquis. It was such a charming and romantic place; the most quite, tranquil place we’d ever been to. We are birders, so the birds on the property were a pleasant surprise to wake up to, not to mention the great breakfast in their charming rustic kitchen. Bill is very knowledgeable about the whole island and we went horseback riding, hiking, sailing and took the bioluminescent bay Kayak tour – all near by.

My friend and I feel that this is a place that should be checked out by any one who needs some R&R. We will definitely be back to stay in the new “Jungle Suite” next time.

Gretchen/Monica
The travel adventure girls

Little jewel in the jungle

by TripAdvisor Member Troutin

My wife and I stayed here in april and were just enchanted. The owners Laurie and Bill have done a wonderful job in making Rainforest Inn a comfortable romantic hideaway hidden amongst the hills of the rainforest. We stayed in the one bedroom villa and found it to be spacious, romantic, tastefully decorated and immaculatly clean. We enjoyed having coffee in the mornings while overlooking the incredible coastal views from our front windows and were lulled at night by the sounds of the coqui.
Bill was a wealth of information on local life and the forest and his wife Laurie was very attentive to our needs and put on a great breakfast our first day. We found it to be a quiet and peaceful retreat from our hectic lives and yet were assured that Bill and Laurie were always available to answer questions or give suggestions without ever being intrusive.
If you stay here make sure you take Bill's hike to the private waterfalls. This is truly an incredible experience and a day for us to remember for many years to come.

Very peaceful, great people

by TripAdvisor Member rainforestlady

My priorities, when I take a break, are to stay in small B & B's and guest houses where the owners have a strong presence and this is definitely one of the better ones. I felt welcome, I felt a little like a friend, I felt absolutely safe and I loved the location! Laurie went way out of her way to make me feel welcome, even invited us to dinner one night. I stayed in the downstairs room and found it to be very nicely planned, tall chalet type wooden ceilings, a very fancy bathtub and best of all the immersion in the rainforest. Just walking on the long drive was worth the stay! I felt it was underpriced. I will absolutely stay here again. I like the beach and went every day but loved coming back up the 'mountain' for the cool and peaceful evenings.

Character eco-lodge in Puerto Rico

by TripAdvisor Member Golanda

A friend and I recently stayed for two nights at the Rainforest Inn. This is an unusual place- a work in progress being added to continually by the imaginative and charming owners. Bill Laurie and Shane offer a warm welcome to their place, in a secluded location off the coast. It is a clearing in the rainforest with a pleasantly situated sort of eco-lodge wrapped around the owner's home. Guests do have privacy, a beautiful view over the forest and down to the sea at Luquillo Beach.

I would say that this place is not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but if you want to experience the rainforest with knowledgeable hosts, have a taste for adventure and can be flexible over the realities of powerlines and water shortages, and don't mind bringing your own drinking water this is a really interesting spot to be and gives you a different insight into Puerto Rico than the big cain hotels down on the coast.

We enjoyed it very much- wish we had longer there to do walks and explore further but loved our treehouse like lodge which was comfortably set up and cool and breezy. Gradually more accommodation will be added and a few bugs will be ironeed out of the system, but the only one which I would question at the moment is about the breakfast arrangements. Seems to me that breakfast should be part of the package every day, no just the first morning, and that it might be a good idea to be more flexible about the time of breakfast by advance arrangement. Otherwise we really did enjoy this characterful place and hope others will too!

One of the best adventures ever

While having travelled to Puerto Rico several times over the past 10 years, I had never stayed in a 'rainforest' location, but always gone straight to some of the main beach locations.
The rainforest inn turned out to be a GREAT place to stay in a GREAT location, very relaxed and away from the mainstream tourist spots, but yet within a 30 minutes drive to beautiful, secluded beaches, if that's what you are looking for.
We spent 3 unforgettable, secluded days up at the inn's main villa, which is a very comfortable and private destination in itself, due to exuberant nature and amazing views. Thanks to the great local knowledge of owner Bill and keeper Shane, we had unforgettable mountainbike rides (2 hours uphill to old observatory), rainforest hikes (3 hours to El Toro peak) as well as waterfall bathing experiences. If you want to experience the Puerto Rican 'El Yunque' rainforest, this is the best way to do it. After activity filled days, we would usually drive down to Luquillo or Fajardo beach for a relaxing dive in crystal clear water.
To top it off, Bill and Shane's restaurant recommendations were always spot on.

Great place!

Christian

Rude Reservations Service

I was so excited to stay at the Inn until I called to make a reservation. The man who answered the phone scolded me for calling too late. I work and nights is the only time I am available to make reservations -- he obviously didn't want my business. He was unfriendly and was not interested in providing me information. Although he did, his tone was rude and condescending. I called plenty of other Inns after I talked with him; the other inns were friendly and provided helpful information. I wouldn't stay at RainForest Inn -- it sounds like the service you receive depends on the hour of the day it is. Be careful what time you call -- they may not be interested in your business. That is not good customer service.

Can't wait to go back!

by TripAdvisor Member Toine_WI

I had planned a trip to introduce some friends to Puerto Rico. This was a special trip for me, as though my family is from PR, I'd never seen the island from the 'Tourist' point of view. Our first 3 nights were in the Rainforest Inn. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by Bill and Laurie, even though we were nearly 4 hours later than our scheduled arrival time. They chatted with us for a bit while settling us in our rooms for the night.

We reserved both the Chalet and the Villa for the first three days of our trip (there were 5 of us in total), and our three days seemed to fly by way too fast.

In addition to the local activities (Horseback riding, Rainforest Hiking, Luquillo beach/food stalls), the Rainforest Inn was also a very short ride from Fajardo (Bio-Bay Kyaking, Ferry/charter plane to Culebra/Vieques) and was close enough to San Juan to make a daytrip a distinct possibility.

This is an Eco Friendly Inn. If you expect all the amenities of a full service Hotel, I suggest El Conquistidor in Farjardo instead. If you want to stay at a gorgeous, environmentally friendly Inn with tons of character in a uniquely enchanting setting, don't hesitate to give the Rainforest inn a call.

Two bits of advice if you do go.

1) Take advantage of the refrigerators in both the Villa and the Chalet. Nights topped off with a cool Pina Colada are a must!

2) Ask about the waterfalls 'up the road'. The further one is great for picnicing and exploring.

Comments