Carr. 413, Km 4.1, Barrio Puntas, Rincon, Puerto Rico, 00677, Caribbean
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Lazy Parrot Inn

Loved every minute of the Lazy Parrot!!

by TripAdvisor Member borlandi

My wife and I stayed at the parrot April 21-27th, spent our first night in Old San Juan (Hotel Milano, great location and cheap) checked out OSJ and the El Morro Fort (excellent), then hopped a flight on Cape Air to Mayaguez ($300 RT for 2), rented a Jeep Wrangler from Budget at the Mayaguez Airport ($500 for a week) and drove 20 minutes to Rincon.

Rincon is basically what I describe as "3" distinct areas; you have the beach coast (from Tres Sirenas down the Rincon Beach Hotel), the surfing coast (from Tres Palmas up to Sandy Beach), and the highlands (Route 413 and most of the roads away from the beaches). If you have a map of Rincon, wrap it around a basketball and that's pretty much the terrain, unless you are down right in town or on the beaches the roads are up and down and very tight (which is fun to drive!).

On to the Parrot....

We stayed in Room 11, which is secluded on the top level in the back (facing away from the road in front). This room has the most private patio in the whole place, as nobody will be walking past your room (see pictures). Great accomodations, comfortable and clean. The walls are paper thin, so noisy guests can ruin your stay (this happened to us night one, some kids were partying at 3am, felt like a rave was going on in my room. Called the manager, she came withing 20 minutes and put an end to it. We were good from there on).

The resort is beautiful, set up in a multi-tiered layout that exudes privacy and charm. During the day the pool bar is open (2 for 1 happy hour 3-5pm), then the Sea Glass Bar opens with the restaurant (Smilin Joes - the best in Rincon). The hotel gets a little busy at night at people come from other hotels and accommodations to eat dinner at Smilin Joes. Loved the quiet mornings, adequate continental breakfast available, and staff and service were great.

The area around the parrot is quiet, decent ocean views are abound, and waking to the sounds of many birds and coqui (local frogs) was fantastic. We really enjoyed taking our continental breakfast back up to our private patio and relaxing in the am. The bakery next door (Punta Mar) has great pastries and most items you would find at a 7-11.

The Lazy Parrot is a great overall stay, good service and friendly staff. If your looking for a quiet retreat to return to after a day down on the beaches, this is the place. But beware, the small size of the Parrot (which is it's charm) means that if the other guests are not in the same mindset as you (quiet, relax, chill) then you are out of luck. If the Parrot would not allow kids under 18, I would come back repeatedly. We had an obnoxious family from New Jersey (by the way, is being loud, rude and obnoxious a requirement for living in New Jersey?? No wonder you have stereotypes) whose kids were throwing rocks in the pool, diving in the pool (right over the no diving sign), and basically tearing up the place. My only complaint of the Parrot is that the staff was slow to respond and enforce their very own rules that they so proudly advertise. BE ADVISED, THE OTHER GUESTS WILL MAKE OR BREAK YOUR STAY, THERE IS NOWHERE TO GO TO AVOID THIS. That aside, I still recommend the Lazy Parrot to everyone heading to Rincon.

"Best of" in Ricon (IMO):

Pina Coloda - Villa Confresi beach bar
Breakfast and coffee - Taino International Cafe
Lunch - Shipwreck at Taino Divers
Happy Hour/Sunset - Calypso at Maria's, live music on weekends
Dinner - Smilin Joes at the Lazy Parrot
Beach Bar - Villa Confresi (the Spot was closed when we were there)
2nd Best Beach Bar - Tamboo (excellent wave watching, sitting at tables not a bar)
Swimming Beach (calm) - anywhere in front of Tres Sirenas down to the Coconut Palms (water was clearer in front of Cocount Palms)
Swimming/Surfing Beach - Sandy beach, in front of Tamboo. Fun but challenging swimming. Good beginner surfing, no reef all sand.
Secluded Beach - Pools beach
White Knuckle Drive - head up to Las Cima for the sunset
Surf/Dive Shop - Desecheo Surf
Beach B&B - Tres Sirenas (didn't stay here but checked it out, it's perfect!)
Beach Resort - Villa Confresi, cheaper than RIncon of the Seas but worthy

"Worst of" Ricon:

Rincon Beach Resort - can you say overrated and overpriced? Yawn
Horned Dorset - same as above, for that money go to a pricey resort in a more tropical and exclusive destination in the carribean, say St. Lucia or St. Barts.

Smilin Joe's food was terrific.

by TripAdvisor Member jay36

Spent 3 nights at The Lazy Parrot. Very Clean with great service. Smilin Joe's for Dinner was excellent. Knew there was a Johnson and Wales graduate cooking this delicious food.
After two nights in Fajardo it was a welcome change.
Much friendlier to Americans and European tourists then the East Coast of PR.
Keep up the Good Work!

Amazing place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member theNLcruiser

My wife and I stay at the lazy parrot from Sep 12-14 2006. We had such a great time. The place was closed for the season we had the hotel for are self, The staff was great they made us feel like at home the hotel it's very cozy and they have a great theme going on, great place to stay without adout I would love stay there again.I really injoyed it.

Super place!

by TripAdvisor Member gypsymoth_7

We stayed for two nights at the Lazy Parrot, and I wish we had stayed there rather than moving on to the Hilton! Truthfully, it was a better value. The website doesn't do it justice. We had one of the large panoramic view rooms upstars, and it was perfectly clean and extremely comfortable. It was also very spacious. The food in the restaurant was exceptional--even better than the Hilton, and the bakery next door provided options for an early breakfast when we didn't care to wait until 8 am. The staff was friendly and accommodating. It was just a lovely stay--a much better value than the resort we moved on to. I would come back here in a heartbeat.

Perfect laid back west coast retreat

My Wife and I have visited Puerto Rico on many occasions during the last 10 years, settling on Rincon as our favorite spot. We had dined at the "Parrot" on several occasions before this trip, but this was our first stay. After reading the earlier reviews, we opted for a top floor room which also included a rather large terrace with umbrella, table and chairs. Our stay was just what we sought. Quiet nights, relaxing days and outstanding food, now under the capable hands of "Smilin' Joe". Joe was our bartender on our first visit and now has graduated to owning the concession for the restaurants and bars. We appoint the Lazy Parrot as our home away from home, in Rincon.

Excellent atmosphere and value

by TripAdvisor Member jsurf

My wife and I stayed at the Lazy Parrot for six nights and we both enjoyed it very much. Once through the entrance, which is right on a busy road, you'll feel like you've entered a beautiful tropical forest. Cool rooms, sunny and open. Nice restuarant and very friendly helpful staff. I surfed every morning and this was very close to all the top surf spots in Rincon...no more than 2 miles from most. Convenient to everything else in Rincon.

The prices were excellent too.. lower than other places we saw that seemd way less appealing. Overall highly recommended for travelers who prefer some flavor and atmosphere over 5 star luxury.

Beware of Rudeness

by TripAdvisor Member NYCTraveler85

The Lazy Parrot is pleasing to the eye. There are bright colors, a nice garden, and caged birds lining the walk to the restaurant (Smilin' Joes and the Rum Shack) and rooms, yet there is much left to be desired.

The much advertised Rum Shack is barely even a shack - it's a small bar with a few seats around a pool. The pool was full of noisy children the entire time, so don't stay here if you want a more relaxing and adult environment. It seemed odd that the Rum Shack was surrounded by children instead of adults. The view was also horrible. There is major construction surrounding the building that is clearly visible.

Worst yet, however, was the restaurant, Smilin' Joes. The environment was nice, yet the food was overpriced for Puerto Rico and the waitress was just plain rude. At the end of our meal, she chased us down to ask for a bigger tip and to snicker at us for not giving her exactly 20%. Surprised by her actions, we foolishly handed over more money and she snatched it and turned away without so much as a thank you.

Perhaps the overall experience would have been better had the help been friendlier and nicer. Beware of the Lazy Parrot's American help that care more about your money than the service. What we thought was a nice place in Rincon for a relaxing vacation ended up being the opposite - there were noisy children, the help was rude, and the location was not great.

Amazing food!!

by TripAdvisor Member BluesTraveling

I actually did not stay at the hotel because it was too far from the shore, but the food at the hotel restaurant was so unbelievably good that I had to write a review. My wife and I made the trip into the hils of Rincon to find this place, and we are so glad that we did. The restaurant service and food were excellent, and they have great vegetarian options as well. Be sure to try the passionfruit pie -- you've never had anything so good and smooth before.

SHORT BUT PLEASANT STAY

by TripAdvisor Member nieves

This past week we decided to pack and do some local turism. Since we have a 10 month old baby, we didn't want to be on the road all day so i called The Lazy Parrott to spend one night. From the outside it looks like just a restauramt but once inside is comfortable and very nice. The pool area is beautifull. We really enjoyed our stay and i'm sure we will be back.
FA. HERNANDEZ-NIEVES
[----------].

A Quiet Get Away with Great Food

by TripAdvisor Member nomar5955

We spent two nights at this delightful retreat in the hills above the village of Rincon. Our room, while small, was quite comfortable with a TV, refrigerator and microwave. We dined the first night at Smiling Joe's Restaurant which is in the same facility. The food and service were first rate. We also ate at the small pool side bar and enjoyed it as well. The staff at the inn were very accommodating and friendly. We would not hesitate to stay here again or to recommend this place to or friends.

travelling alone:accommodation in san juan and ponce

by kimish

Hello Everybody
My name is Kimish. I am 24yrs guy studying at University of Southern California los angeles. I am travelling to Puerto Rico from 29th of dec to 5th Jan. At this moment I am desperately looking for accommodation. I know there are plenty of them available but since I am travelling alone and I am looking for cheap place to sleep I could not find one. I have travelled around europe where they have lot of youth hostels which are cheap and lot fun to be at. But I could not find anything like that for Puerto Rico not atleast online. I know this message is getting quite long but I appreciate if you read it.
So back to the topic, if anyone has any idea about cheap place to sleep, I just need a place to crash. I dont want to spend more than $40. I can carry my sleeping bag with me so if anyone has any idea about camping or stuff please let me know. Well this is kind weird but I am in desperate situation so if anyone can host me at their place ( I am willing to pay) then that will be great as well. Infact in that way I can get chance to meet local people and know about culture as well. I am pretty easy going.
In anycase if anyone around san juan or ponce is there and would like to give me company to hang out with and show around that will be great as well.

Hoping for numerous responses.
Thanks
Kimish

RE: travelling alone:accommodation in san juan and ponce

by xxgirasolexx

did you try looking at www.couchsurfing.com?

RE: RE: travelling alone:accommodation in san juan and ponce

by kimish

Thanks a lot for the info.

Places to Stay in Rincon

by frogsneedsomebooks

Hi Kimish:

I'm a UCLA Alum, so I probably shouldn't even be talking to you since you're a USCer, but here it goes anyway ;) I don't know if you've gotten any useful info yet about where to stay in Puerto Rico. Are you traveling to Rincon, or San Juan, or Ponce... Or all three? And by the way, what are you going there for? Is it primarily to surf? I was there two years ago and am currently planning my own trip there.
If you're going to Rincon, here's some info:
Camping at Playa Corcega 787-823-6140, campsites are $10-$20.
Paradores (small inns):
House on the Hill 787-823-5306, $20 for a bunk in a 4 person dorm room, $35 for a double room.
Rincon Surf & Board 787-823-0610, $20-$75, a favorite among surfers.
Sandy Beach Surf Club 787-823-1146, $20 for dorm rooms.
Mr. G Guesthouse 787-823-4621, Rates start at $20.
Beside the Pointe 787-823-8550, on the beach $60-$125.
Myrna's Beach House 787-823-4450 competitive rates
Vista Vacation Resort 787-823-3673 competitive rates.
El Mirador Guest House 787-823-5481, bunks $30.
Puesta del Sol 787-823-2787, competitive rates.
El Faro Guest House 787-823-5247, competitive rates.

I got this info from my guide book, so I don't know if it's up to date, but you can look 'em up online.

Buena suerte y
Happy Holidays!

~Nitaña

Re: travelling alone:accommodation in san juan and ponce

by davidhpr

The # for Mr. G's Guesthouse is 787-823-4721 - the other posted number is incorrect. Its a great, cheap & friendly place to stay.

Comments