1000 Coco Beach Boulevard, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, 00745, Caribbean

Satisfaction Poor

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• LATINA_GODEZZ's Profile Photo

WORST TRIP EVER

and then we were told to stay at the resort we had to put down a $150.00 deposit a day credit card for incidentals.

The Gran Melia is a expensive hotel, we stayed aug 14- 20, 2009 far from the airport

The bad thing about PR is that in order to really sight see and get around you need to rent a car

but I thought it was ridulous to pay 15 dollars a day to park @ the hotel

The resort is far off the main road and there isnt any public transportation readily available.

I felt all extras were ridulous and should have been known ahead of time.

dealing we had with the front desk were frustrating.Food and drinks at hotel were very expensive too.

Also, by the pool, a coke cost $3 for a 4 oz glass (no free refills).

As for food, since the hotel is located pretty far away from the city or
    outlining towns you are left with the Hotel restaurants which are crazt over priced

beach is poor really small,The bed loungers around pool are are extra at 50 per day.

the beach at the hotel is not suitable for swimming. It's really shallow and rocky.

instead its beauty masks the fact that the management is constantly trying to jerk you on your vacation,

it was just a really bad trip. I could not possibly write all of the things that went wrong.

We will NEVER visit this resort again I would not recommened this hotel.

Unique Quality: We booked in advance with ORBITZ.com and thought everything was cool until we went to check in

but I thought it was ridulous to pay 15 dollars a day to park @ the hotel

I felt all extras were ridulous and should have been known ahead of time.

Also, by the pool, a coke cost $3 for a 4 oz glass (no free refills).

As for food, since the hotel is located pretty far away from the city or

We will NEVER visit this resort again I would not recommened this hotel.

Directions: IT IS ABOUT 1/2 OR 1/4 OF A MILE FROM RT 3

More about Gran Melia Puerto Rico

Relax and let go!!

Paradisus-Puerto Rico.....the warmth and friendliness of the staff makes this resort shine. As the new 'kid on the block' Paradisus is experiencing it's first shake down cruise....However, it should not deter you from coming...particularly if you're looking to do nothing but relax. Paradisus is 'laid back' compared to the other 'glitzy' San Juan hotels. It's a great place for long walks along the beach, and the property. The food options are great...lot's of choices and great quality.

The key to truly enjoying a vacation at Paradisus is to (1) relax...and enjoy the friendliness, warmth, and good food.

Take a pass on this place....

My wife and I just returned from a trip at the Paradisus Puerto Rico. Overall. I would rate the resort extremely average. The resort is beautiful but not yet done. There was construction and landscaping going on, which brought a good deal of noise through out the day. The staff was very friendly, but the service was very inconsistent. The bars were short staffed most of the time and it took a long time to get a drink. On 3 occasions in a 5 day period, the bars ran out of Coconut Rum! The food was average. Breakfast at the poolside cafe offers a buffet that most of the items were cold. Avocado's also offers a breakfast that was much better. The lunch was decent, the highlight being steak and lobster (which they conveniently were in short supply of each day). Dinner at Bamboo was horrible one evening and great a few days later. A lot of this had to do with the inexperienced chief we had the first time. The French restaurant was not very good. The steak meal offered was cold and tasted like pot roast Room service was quick with a limited menu. The evening entertainment provided was good. The beds in the rooms were very hard and the rooms did have high speed internet that was very inconsistent. If you like a beach vacation, this is not the place to go. There is no sandy beach available at this resort you can lay out at. The pool was very nice. The lobby area was very nice with lots of marble but BE CAREFUL- It gets very slippery when it rains. We saw several adults and children fall. I would wait a while before considering to vacation at this resort. The reviews we read on trip advisor were very helpful preparing us for this vacation. I would want to see more positive reviews before booking a trip at the Paradisus Puerto Rico.

It's getting there

by TripAdvisor Member VApensfan

My husband, son, and I just returned from a 7 day stay at Paradisus Puerto Rico. All in all we enjoyed our stay. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and the rooms were very nice. We stayed in Royal Service. I guess my biggest complaint was the inconsistency in the service. It was very good at times and not very good at other times. The staff clearly needs more training on hotel policies because if you ask two different staff members the same question you will get two different answers. Most of the staff spoke pretty good english however a lot of the maids did not. If you are looking for a good beach find another property because the beach is pretty much dirt with a little hint of sand, and there is a lot of coral and sea grass and it is very shallow for long way out. We didn't mind this since we prefer the pool. Royal service has a private pool with a bar which is nice if you want quiet and no crowd. The main pool is huge with a swim up bar and is absolutely gorgeous. During the week not all the restaraunts are open depending on the number of guests. The Bamboo and Romantico are always open and require reservations. The Bamboo was the best in my opinion. The Mirador Grill is open air at the pool and has a little bit of everything if you dont mind the heat and the birds. Our room keys stopped working a couple of times which was kind of inconvenient since the hotel lobby is quite far away. Room service was always pretty quick but needs a little expansion in choices. Overall it is a nice place to stay. I think it will get better as time goes on. I think it is a little overpriced though. Next time I think we will try Paradisus in the Dominican Republic.

Had a wonderful time

My boyfriend and I just got back from staying at Paradisus for 5 full days and we had a wonderful time. The resort is beautiful! The room was amazing, although the bed was pretty hard, it was still a beautiful room. The pool is huge! - no need to even go in the ocean with such a big pool, but it's right there if you want it - with some fun water activities. The staff was super nice - no problems with communication, they all spoke English very well and we got to practice a bit of our Spanish. The food was good, although breakfast buffet was cold a few mornings. We only ordered room service twice, but it came within a reasonable time. My only comment would be for them to expand their room service menu, as it lacked variety. I felt that the food at Bamboo and Romantico (the 2 restaurants that require reservations) was excellent and likewise the service. The Mirador Grill was not open at all the entire time we were there. The casino is a bit small, but still fun. We were there from Monday-Friday, so Paradisus was not crowded at all. They have a wonderful spa, gym, tennis courts and fun activities/games. The whole resort commands relaxation and beauty. There was no need to even leave the resort, but we had rented a car so we went to El Yunque for a few hours - which I STRONGLY recommend if you are looking for some awesome hiking trails and amazing views of the rainforest and of Puerto Rico. We booked the horseback riding tour thru Paradisus, although we could have just drove there ourselves and saved some $$, because they provided transportation but no other perks... But it was still a lot of fun! On our last day we checked out and drove to San Juan and spent the day walking around and taking in the sites - so much fun and lots to do. My only question is why on all these websites do they say that Paradisus is in San Juan?? It's not! It's in Rio Grande, which is about a 45 minute drive East of San Juan....right on Coco Beach. That we found to be very confusing because we didn't realize that it was almost an hour to the hotel...but I'm glad that we rented a car so we could explore on our own!
We had a wonderful time and Paradisus Puerto Rico is an amazing resort and we hope to go back real soon!

Paradisus was Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member MMSilverman

My BF and I stayed at the Paradisus, PR and were Royal Service guests, from May 28 - 31 and on the overall, we had enjoyed ourselves tremendously!

Pros: The grounds and landscaping, albeit still very young, were nice enough and weren't an eyesore; for the most part, the staff aimed to please, there were enough activities that were pretty good to keep guests occupied, the pool was beautiful, all the restaurants were operating fully, the casino was a happening place, the bars were packed (also due to the fact that the Resort was fully booked that weekend); our requests for specially prepared foods were obliged; the buffets and foods served at the specialty restaurants - Bamboo (the best Hibachi I've ever had cooked by WingLock!) & Romantico - were not bad at all for an all-inclusive; the gym is one of the best & most equipped in any hotels/resorts we've ever been to; the Spa was wonderful though pricey; Jennifer and Leslie at the Royal Service had made on-the-spot decision to drop us off at the airport when our transfer had left without us.

Cons: Some front-of-the-house staff needs to learn to speak English, especially in a popular restaurant like the Avocado; the Paradisus should cater to those with restricted diets (i.e. fat-free, low-fat diets); the staff needs to get their act together when it comes to managing big groups or a lot of guests staying at any one time; the transfer bus had actually left us behind despite the fact that we had confirmed our transfer at a certain time and were waiting at the lobby (this was soon rectified)!; room service for breakfast didn't arrive; the marble floors can be very slippery when wet (from rain).

I have to mention that Pablo, Leslie, Jennifer and Yoshira from the Royal Service, and Luis from the Mirador Grill had made our stay all the more enjoyable! Thank you & keep up your good work!

Fantastic

We just returned from a two week stay and were overall very impressed. We upgraded to the Royal Service and had a ocean view suite which are very nicely furnished. The balcony has a oversized jacuzzi tub which was great.We found the bed very hard and requested a foam pad which was a big improvement for us. Housekeeping did a excellant job our entire stay. The pools are beautiful and I recommend the palapas which are small huts around the pool with hugh cushions to lay on. We thought the food was very good the buffets offered a wide variety of choices and the sit down restaurants were very good. The hotel itself is simply beautiful and the landscaping is coming along well, it will take a while to mature. There are lots of activity's available for both adults and kids. The spa and helath club were both excellant although the spa is expensive even when you factor the gratuity into the price. Above all though was the attitude and actions of the staff they were fantastic! Always a greeting, a smile, what can we get for you.The management of all areas were always very visible ensuring customer satisfaction. First time at a Paradisus but definately not the last.

Least favorite all-inclusive

Vacationed in May, 2004.

I can't complain too much because my husband won this trip, however, I must warn others . . .
We have stayed at many all inclusives (Sandals-St. Lucia, Jamaica, Super Club-Grand Lido, Moon Palace-Mexico, etc, etc) and I must say that this was our least favorite. Since this is a new resort I can only hope that within a year this will be a great resort.

The problems we incurred:

My husband found a large piece of glass in his frosted mug. When we asked to see the manager it took over a 1/2 hour before he arrived. Did not handle the situation properly. We got a better response from the bar manager. My husband remembered seeing the bartender break a glass. Litttle did he know was that the glass fell in the freezer of frosted mugs. Luckily, he did not swallow it and we can only hope that once notified they cleaned out the freezer.

T-times were limited at this resort. There was a golf tournament taking place during our stay.

Service was very slow. However, they were nice and polite.

Room service took about 1.5-2 hours for delivery. When it finally did arrive it was not accurate.

There really is no beach.

Construction was going on. Pool bathroom ripped apart - noise, etc.

During dinner, service isn't that great. They are not too quick to offer you drinks.

They allow locals to come in and use the bar/casino. This results in the all-inclusive guests being served slowly at the lobby and casino bars)our tips are included in our price)

The Good . . .

The pool was nice.

Dinners were good. Reservations were made, however, not always needed. With only two in our party we were able to walk in. Food arrived in a timely fashion and was hot.

I can honestly say that I will never return to this resort. The prices are too high for the service/faciliites that are included.

MT to Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

by echoprs82

Some people in my church were organizing a mission's trip to Puerto Rico, some of the youth were going, and some adults from my church (Tree of Life) were going too. I thought it would be good for me to go on another mission's trip and get some more experience... little did I know that I would be creating some awesome friendships with people and having a one on one ministry and heart to heart talks with the people in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico...

RIO GRANDE HOME SWEET HOME

by 4erving

"EL YUNQUE RAIN FOREST"

COME TO RIO GRANDE PUERTO RICO AND ENJOY OF 28,000 ACRESS OF THE MOST BEAUTIFULL RAIN FOREST OF THE WORLD. THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN THE FOREST, PICO DEL TORO, RISES 3,523FT. ABOVE SEA LEVEL. FOR THE TAINO INDIANS THE MOUNTAIN WAS A SACRED PLACE. AVERAGE TEMP. AT EL YUNQUE IS 77.9 F AL LOWER ELEVATIONS AND 65.3 F AT ELEVATIONS ABOVE 3,280 FT.
EXPECT RAIN ALMOST EVERY DAY AT SOME POINT OF THE FOREST. FOR MORE INFORMATION GO IN THE WEB TO...THE CARIBBEAN NATIONAL FOREST WEB SIDE.

the perla

by chillstem

i read that la perla is not a good place.why? i do misionary work and would like to see if i could do something for the residents in there.any suggestions.

Re: the perla

by Gypsystravels

Historically, La Perla has been an area of low income, high crime and drugs...

Unless you are acommpained by a group or have someone how lives in the area guide you, it definitely is not safe.

Janet

Re: the perla

by 4erving

I live in Rio Grande Puerto Rico and I have been in La Perla couple of times.In la perla there are couple of small groups of people that do communitary work, They work in a daily basis.If you go there, ask and anybody lets you know.La Perla is located in old san juan,and it is not bad or criminal area.If you want to do misionary work,go ahead, It is not a dangerous place.

• Jun 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Big deception weekend at EL Grand Melia , Rio Grande

One hour waiting for two rooms after check-in sharp at 3:00 PM and the minimum information from the front desk personnel about the status of the rooms and “Resort” amenities. That was the beginning of my family experience at El Gran Melia Rio Grande Puerto Rico. Smelly rooms and air conditioners that never work properly (the cable TV did not work neither) was the second part of my experience but the worst part was the unprofessional employee without good manners asking when we leaving so they can start cleaning the room and that were at 10:00 AM two hours before regular check-out, they never made my family feel welcome. The pool was a disaster at 8:20 AM trash everywhere beer cans, cigarette and food around. My daughter hurt her knees with the expose cement in the bottom of the pool surface, clearly lack of maintenance. The best part was left behind the worst weekend ever.