Apartments by El Viejo Adoquin

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about San Juan

Colorful Building - Streets of Old San JuanColorful Building - Streets of Old San Juan

Eugenio Maria de Hostos - Old San JuanEugenio Maria de Hostos - Old San Juan

Inside Castillo San CristobalInside Castillo San Cristobal

Pigeon ParkPigeon Park

Excursions and hotel-help!

by lallarebecca

Hello!

I´m going to San Juan next summer, and will stay there 4 days pre-cruise.

I´ll go with my mother, and we will not rent a car while we are there.

I´d like to know if there are excursions to places worth seeing that can be bought somewhere in San Juan?

What are the excursions that is offered? What is the pricerange?
We both enjoy snorkelling and beautiful beaches.

I´d also like to know which is the best place to stay while in San Juan?
I´d like a place with at least 3 stars, that is clean and tidy, as well as close to Old San Juan/the beaches nearby.

Which is the best way to get around if you do not drive yourself?
Are taxis expensive?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Excursions and hotel-help!

by TexasDave

I'm always a rent-a-car-and-do-it-yourself type, so I can't answer that question. A little bit of googling should get you some ideas. There is a resort, El Conquistador, which has its own island with water activities, near Fajardo. We're going there next month and will be posting some tips when we get back. In Old San Juan there is a nice Sheraton, and El Convento is a super cool, although a little pricey, experience- a real colonial convent converted into a hotel. Slightly outside the Old City is the Condado area with a wide variety of hotel choices, but not really a snorkeling area.
There is a public and free bus which circulates around the Old City, although traffic is so slow you can sometimes walk faster that the bus moves. But it is at least a way to rest a while and do a little of sight seeing. I have a tip about it on my San Juan pages.
Taxi prices are regulated and not very expensive.

Re: Excursions and hotel-help!

by Jefie

If you like nice beaches, you might want to consider staying in the Isla Verde area. It's a bit further away from Old San Juan, but the beaches there are nicer than what you'll find closer to the city. There are plenty of nice hotels in that area, and from there it's easy to catch a taxi to Old San Juan and I believe the fixed rate is $19. Most hotels offer the possibility of booking tours through their concierge desk. Popular tours include the El Yunque rainforest, Luquillo Beach, the Bacardi factory, kayaking in a bioluminescent bay and Camuy Caves. Most excursions are in the $70-$100 range. Hope this helps!

Travel Tips for San Juan

MONFONGO

by moiraistyx

Just about every place you are going to eat in San Juan is going to offer you some type of Monfongo. Monfongo is basically smashed plantains mixed with spices and sometimes shrimp, octopus etc. The first place I had monfongo it was very dry. I didn't like it. I decided to give it another try at the second place we went to. I am glad that I did. The second place had monfongo that was seasoned perfectly and it was soft and moist with no huge clumps. My advice is to give monfongo a try at a couple of different places before making up your mind. Jason eating monfongo with octopus

Visit the old Forts. There are...

by sramey1

Visit the old Forts. There are historic sites to see and an island tour is worth the price. Walking through the 'downtown' or shopping area is not the most pleasant experience. It smells like garbage. Streets are narrow, traffic is heavy and the shops are the same in every port. Nothing special here. While in port, there was a Portuguese Naval training ship in port. Visitors were allowed to board this magnificent Sailing vessel and tour it free. It was very impressive and had a great story behind it.

Regata 1993.......celebrate...

by pacus3rd

Regata 1993.......celebrate the 500 years of the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus.
And Puerto Rico was the host of this big event party......and more than 200 sailing ships came here from differents countries of the world.

Fast and Furious, Caribbean style?!

by Jefie

I've already mentioned this on my introduction page and I think Puerto Ricans will be the first to admit that there are many bad drivers on their otherwise wonderful island! Someone explained to me that Puerto Rico has a population of 4 million people, and that there are 3 million cars registered on the island. That's quite an impressive car to people ratio! It should therefore come as no surprise that traffic can be pretty bad, especially going in and out of San Juan. Many Puerto Ricans, who are in general very laidback, have a rather aggressive style behind the wheel, constantly switching lanes, tailgaiting, honking, cutting in front of other cars, breaking at the last minute... I was sure glad we'd decided not to rent a car!

Banco Popular

by Dabs

I found the Banco Popular building listed in an article in the December 2010/January 2011 issue of Budget Travel 20 Best-Kept Secrets of San Juan, Puerto Rico so as we were on our way back to pick up our luggage from storage we popped in and we were told to go up to the museum on the 3rd floor, the Sala de Exhibiciones Rafael Carrión Pacheco. The article said that the museum showcases "island-centric exhibits, such as an exploration of area coffee plantations and a 38-foot scalemodel of the old city" but what we think we were looking at (all of the exhibits were in Spanish) was the scalemodel of the old city with the proposed light rail system for Old San Juan.

The 11 story art deco buidling is located at Calle Tetuán 206. The museum is open from Tues.–Sun. from 10 a.m.–5 p.m. and is free to visit. Be sure to have a look at the outside of the building as well as have a look into the lobby from the 3rd floor viewing area.

Comments