Beach Buoy Inn

1853 McLeary Ave. Ocean Park, (formerly Beach Buoy Inn), San Juan, Puerto Rico, 00911, Caribbean
Oceana Hostal Playero
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Beach Buoy Inn

Had a great stay on our last honeymoon day

by TripAdvisor Member eagle2435

My wife and I finished up our 10 day honeymoon trip to Puerto Rico here. We had stayed in Condado on the same street earlier in our trip and Oceana Hostal Playero was a great stay for us on our last day. My wife and I really loved the decor of the hotel and the fact that we were able to snag one of the 7 parking spaces right out front of the hotel and that there is a restaurant right downstairs. Also, the walk to the beach will take about 2 minutes, if you walk slowly. So we loved that. In walking distance to good restaurants, shops, and Starbucks! The bed was so comfortable and we also enjoyed the ambiance of the room. The room was clean and hot water was working well (we had problems at the other hotel in San Juan that we stayed at, and paid $55 more per night). I got a queen room for $96 which was great. The hotel was quiet so my wife and I got great rest on our last night before the long flight. The tile in the room looked old and the bathroom could use some touchups; also the sunroof could be a great addition if they really make it attractive; if these things are taken care of Oceana will be first class all the way. We had a great stay and consider it our first choice the next time we find ourselves in San Juan. Great value!

FALSE ADVERTISEMENT on behalf of hotels.com which booked this NIGHTMARE!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Latin_Engineer

This was the WORST place I have ever seen in my life .... it was disgusting. When we arrived (my sister and I) we were amazed at the fact that:

1) There was NO LOBBY area ....
2) You had to walk through people seated at the attached restaurant to get to the "SO-CALLED" VILLA we were promised
3) Passing the BABY pool, you could not fit more than two people, you'll see what I mean, when I get the pictures uploaded.
4) When we got to the 2nd floor VILLA, we looked around, at each other, then LAUGHED, this was the WORST DUMP we had ever seen in our life.
5) To get to the beach, you'd have to walk down a DARK, SECLUDED ALLEY WAY (around the block) to get to it.

We called a few of our friends for assistance on obtaining a place for the night, so that we could leave, we did not even want to TOUCH anything in the room ..... it seriously looked like a CRACK HOUSE (no, I take that back, that would have been considered a resort, compared to this DUMP!!!!

WELL to make matters WORSE, we took our luggage and went down to the front desk DEMANDING our money back, although they stated there was a one night stay (non-refundable amount) on the cancellation, it's been a month and they still have a $588. charge for the entire stay that I have been disputing. They had me sign a piece of paper on the cancellation, yet refused to give me a copy of it because I wrote in big letters "FALSE ADVERTISEMENT on it. I continued to complain OUT LOUD, until they gave me a copy, then left.

I opened a complaint with AMEX, for assistance on having this ORDEAL resolved.

As for Hotels.com, although I had contacted them several times, have been put on HOLD (between 15 mins. and a half hour - as they were probably hoping I would get tired and hang up), they said they would take care of it and have not done a thing to ASSIST.

On February 19th, I called them three times (the phone call mysteriously kept getting cut), the final time, I got the most DISRESPECTFUL customer service representative that FLAT OUT REFUSED to put his SUPERVISOR on the line. He just continued to ANNOYINGLY repeat, "Didn't you read the cancellation policy, it says you don't get any MONEY back once CANCELLED!!!

BUYER BEWARE - HOTELS.COM are CROOKS and they will not get away with how they RUINED the beginning of my vacation! They forget that there are entities that protect consumers against, "FALSE ADVERTISEMENT", and "CONSUMER REPORTING AGENCIES" that will ensure I receive a "FULL REFUND", no matter what they think.

My advice: DON'T TRUST WEBSITES - Instead, speak with friends & family, when planning a vacation, for recommendations, to be on the safe side. We arrived after 7:30 p.m. and the area did not seem like a very safe place to be around after dark.

There are BEAUTIFUL CONDOS you can rent, ON THE BEACH, in LUQUILLO, look into that .... this was our saving grace. Wish we would have thought about it earlier, it was what made the rest of our vacation the most AMAZING EXPERIENCE, all for only $99./night.

Latin_Engineer from Florida

This place is disgusting

by TripAdvisor Member healy35

Arrived their at 2am on a late flight. They put my wife,5 year old and 9 month old, and myself in a disgusting room that was worn out, missing tile in the bath tub and no water pressure for 130 dollars. Breakfast was a slice of bred and a slice of fruit. Coffee was ok but there were cigarrette ashes on our table which we had to clean. I had reserved a villa for 2 days when we came bcak to san juan 5 days later and I wanted to see what i was paying for so I asked to see the room. They showed me a decent room (not a fully equipped kitchen) but I had already paid for it so I figured I would just deal. When I came back 5 days later they couldn't find my info or the key to the room until finally they said the room was ready except they brought me to a different room that was SO GROSS there was no way I would let my kids be in their for 2 days. MY WIFE Saw A COCKROACH AND the room SMELLED LIKE MOLD. The extra bed was buy the front door! The tv was on top of the kitchen counter. NO pots or pans or anything. They advertised a fully equipped kithcen so we bougth all these groceries. I demanded my money back. The female owner gave me my money back but gave us this death look as we drove off. Don't stay here it is not worth the money.

Just what I wanted and more.

by TripAdvisor Member BdgtTrvlr

I went to Puerto Rico for a weekend with my girlfriend on September and I did some research and decided to stay in Oceana. This establishment is actually a little bit bigger and comfier than a hostel, I would call it a 1 star Hotel.

Alma was a very helpful and insightful lady. She gave us tips on how to travel around Puerto Rico and what places we should go and visit. If I go back to Puerto Rico I would definitely stay here again. Room was clean and neat. Bed and pillows where comfy and homey. Bathroom was OK.

This Hostel is not a Resort, is more like a motor Hostel for people that are budget minded and are all about sightseeing, not relaxing the entire day in the hotel room.

When I book the Hostel I was looking for a place to sleep and go on my way, so if this is what you are looking for the Hostel gives you a great price on the room and gives you what you need, a nice clean room, a shower, a tv and a fridge. There is a supermarket at about two blocks where we bought some groceries and adult beverages.

I didn't try the food at the restaurant, nor would recommend it, if you want to eat, go to the main street where all the restaurants are at about 5 minutes driving, Av Isla Verde. And don't forget to go to Piñones to get some authentic Puerto Rican "Cuchifritos"; I can't wait to go back.

Try to rent a car for your stay is using this Hotel (The car rental is really cheap in PR, compared to many other places). This place is not walking distance from anything, plus everything in Puerto Rico is like in Miami, you would need a car to get there.

Pass on this one

by TripAdvisor Member Lillianna1

The one good thing about the Oceana is the staff was very nice and very helpful--so if that is all you are looking for, this is the place for you! Otherwise, I was not impressed. They messed up my reservation so when I got there, they didn't have what I booked available. I booked a full apartment but had to settle for a room, and wasn't compensated for the difference. The basic amenities that you come to expect in a very basic hotel room were missing. There was no hair dryer or kleenex in the bathroom. I had to hunt down someone from the housekeeping staff to ask for more toilet paper and towels, and the water pressure in the shower was only a trickle. The "pool"--if they can really call it that--is tiny and is more of a fountain than an actual swimming pool. They say that they renovated in 2004, but besides updating a few pieces of furniture in the bar area, I doubt anything has changed since the place was built in 1970 (i.e. yellow toilet and bathtub). Overall, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, nor would I stay here again.

Adequate with Minor Issues

by TripAdvisor Member grilledeasterbunny

Stayed over the weekend of March 6 - 10 2008. We got a room with a terrace, number 24. The room was clean, there was plenty of water pressure in the shower. The bed wasn't all that comfy though. The location was pretty nice as the beach and restaurants aren't that far away. Their parking was valuable as well as the area gets crammed with cars on the weekend.

The staff is nice, but overall I'd say they only do an average job. The fact that this place is considered a B&B is somewhat of a joke as the breakfast is only really toast, some thin slices of fruit, and coffee. If you want anything more than that, it'll come with a charge. The service for breakfast was horrendously slow, but things did arrive eventually. I honestly felt bad for the old guy who was the only waiter, he was obviously doing everything himself while other "employees" just sat there.

Overall I'd say this place is decent, but probably not worth the money. However, good luck finding anything that's a value in San Juan. The hotels are completely overpriced and I truly believe that there must be other B&Bs in San Juan that are done the right way (that is, they have owners that actually know what a true B&B should be like).

I don't think I'd stay there again...but I didn't feel like it was a huge mistake staying there in the first place. It's just kinda bla...but no cleanliness issues. Just slow service in the restaurant....

Don't do it!

by TripAdvisor Member WellTravelledVermont

I'm still trying to figure out how Hotwire could deal with a place like this. This was the single worst travel experience I've ever had. First of all this place is a Hostal not a hotel. The description said that the hotel I booked would be along the lines of a Holiday Inn Express, AmeriSuites, Country Inn & Suites, plus other top brands and quality hotels. It was so disgusting that I had to check out fifteen minutes after checking in (without a refund), pay for a taxi back to the airport and search for a new hotel at 10:00 at night and pay top dollar. It was so disgusting that I couldn't even bring myself to stay there for a few hours before catching a flight. This was a very rough end to an otherwise wonderful trip. When I checked in the man at the front desk asked me to sign a bill for $75. I asked him what it was for since I already paid for the room through Hotwire. He quickly responded that it was a "city tax". I told him to give me a break. He went somewhere and when he came back he said the bill actually belonged to someone else. So much for the "city tax". Then I owed them ten dollars for a "resort fee", which I expected. But when I handed him a $20 bill he left the room and came back without my change. I asked him where my change was and he said that he "promised" he would bring it to me later. After he took us to our dreadful room (I was seriously dumbfounded) I had to remind him about my change. To his credit he did go get it. But only after I reminded him! I chose to ignore some of the reviews and I paid the price.

If you stay you are going to have a HELL of vacation.

by TripAdvisor Member mayvel

FROM TAMPA TO PUERTO RICO!!

SO MANY PROBLEMS THAT THE LIST IS TO LONG!!
GAVE US A DIFFERET ROOM OF WHAT WE RESERVE!!
it was no cold water in the badroom sink! The water pressure was so bad it was difficult to take a good shower after been out in 90s degrres NO DRAPES -so you would see the sun come up and wake up early..TILE FLOOR -NO CARPETS AND DIRTY!!
BADROOM-so small only 2 feet to get in the small shower!
PILLOWS- with mildew and no covers!
they moved us to the FAMOUS VILLA- WELL THE ONLY GOOD THING WAS THE SPACE! Serious problems in there, mosquitoes inside the room, tile spalsh by old paint because the paint was so old and dirty that it was peeling.Roaches.
The most bad thing- The toilet was broken in the seal - SO- the dirty water was coming out flooing the badroom, we let them know and nothing was done,. i need it more than 5 towers to pick the water- and had to argue with the to get it!
Came tired from the mountains and the badroom still floded and no towels to take a shower. L ETS say i went to the desks and let them have it!
Dirty dishes, coffee mugs from the rest dirty,coffe maker did not work. And have to pay 3 $ for small one.
THINGS THEY DONT HAVE IN THE ROOMS
BLOWER FOR THE HAIR!
HANGERS - not cENOUGHT TOWELS ONLY 2
THEY TELL YOU THEY HAVE INERNET - NOT- ONLY IN THE RESTAURANT-
NO DRAPES ON THE WINDOWS-A PLASTIC BLIND ONLY!
THE BREACKFAST- CONTINENTAL- A LAUGH-ONLY TOAST. ONE SLICE OF FRUIT , AND A LITTLE CAKE ALWAYS THE SAME THINGS!
THE GARDENS NOT TAKEN CARE OFF.
NEAR THE VILLA GARBAGE FOR DAYS AND DAYS!
EMPLOYES TAKING ABOUT THE BOSS AND PERSONAL THINGS IN FRONT OF THE GUEST!
THE POOL FULL OF LEAVES, MAYBE OUT OF 1 WEEK IT WAS CLEAN FEW TIMES!
I can go on for more but let leave it there!!
I am from the island and native- went from florida to have a vacation but i had the worst acomodations ever in my life i would not recomend this place not even to my worst enemy!!!!

Great place for the Price!

by TripAdvisor Member chewybars

Despite what a number of other reviews say below, we found this place to be fine, and would definitely stay here again. We (2 adults, and two 18 yr old girls) rented one of the “villas”, and found it perfect for us. It was very clean (with the one exception noted below) and there was plenty of elbow room for the 4 of us. In the living room area, there were 2 full-sized futons, which the girls said were very comfortable. Upstairs in a “loft” area, there was a very comfortable queen sized bed, ample closet space, a bureau, and a good sized night stand with drawers. The bathroom was quite small, but well appointed and very clean. The full kitchen was plenty big enough. However, here lies my only criticism: a few of the dishes were dirty, and it did not fit my definition of “fully equipped”. No toaster, no coffee pot (although they did get one for us), only a couple glasses. The rest of the “supplies” were adequate: plates, bowls, utensils, pans, etc.
We loved the décor and the coziness of the lobby, restaurant, patio and pool areas. The pool is quite small: more of a place to get wet than to swim.
The people at the front desk were all very friendly and very helpful. We had dinner in the restaurant one night: the food was good and the service was fine.
As for location, this place is in a nice area, only 10-15 minutes from the airport. A very nice beach is just a 5 minute walk (if you’re slow!), and there are good restaurants within a 5 minute walking distance as well. Also, there was plenty of free parking.
In summary, we found this hotel to be friendly, welcoming, clean and spacious, and we were glad we stayed here.

Very PLeasant Stay...

by TripAdvisor Member SuncoastJae

We just got back from a weekend trip to Puerto Rico. My wife and I stayed at the Oceana and were plesantly suprised as to what we found inside (the outside really does show much).
We were greeted very nicely by the front desk host, Stewart, who was very courteous and easy-going. Inside was a beautiful courtyard with many native plants. Lots of seating areas and a small but quaint pool with a waterfall.
In our villa were two full size futons and a VERY comfortable king size bed, dining table for four, and a full size refridgerator. We slept soundly to the sounds of the island's coqui. The only thing we were somewhat displeased with was the shower's water pressure. Being in San Juan, the water pressure is not the greatest by any means.
In the morning we enjoyed a "Classic" breakfast with eggs, bacon, tostada, orange juice, and a "cafe con leche". I have to tell you, we had several coffees while on the island and the Oceana's was by far the best!
No, its not the Ritz nor the Hilton. It truly is a very pleasant "Hostal" with very nice people to help you and a beautiful island feel. Could it use a little renovation? Yes - minor.
Will you enjoy your stay. Yes, if you do not expect luxury and want simplicity. Will I be back? ABSOLUETLY!!

Comments