Caribe Hilton San Juan

See Amenities
love2travel2gther's Profile Photo

Beautiful hotel

by written on November 13, 2013

Since I was a child I have been staying off and on at the Caribe Hilton. It was and always has been a beautiful property. The lobby has been redone over the years and is just gorgeous and the tradewinds that pass through it are always so refreshing. The rooms are all beautiful and very tastefully done and the views are always so stunning. There are only a few negatives that I would say about this property, one is the fact that is sort of away from everything else leaving you to only stay at this resort and not be able to get to much else unless you rent a car or take a cab and that brings me to the second negative. Since one is not able to really get to too many places by foot you are left to dine at the resort and the prices are a bit high. If you are only planning to stay at this hotel for a night or 2 then by all means go for it, it will be a place you will love and not soon forget.

Worst hotel I've ever stayed

by written on August 22, 2011

First off they LOST my reservation. My gut feeling is they overbooked. After an hour of scratching their heads on what to do they gave us a "parlor room". The only bed in the room was a fold out couch with a hard bar that ran across my hips. Since the bed was so small, they brought in a cot for my wife to sleep on. The entire hotel seemed very unorganized and poorly run. I can't believe that Hilton would allow their name to be associated with such a poorly run hotel. The worst part of the whole stay was the attitude of the staff and the manager. We told our travel agent what happened, so she called the hotel to talk to them. They told our agent that it was "all taken care of". We spent $268.00 to sleep on a fold out couch and a cot? Does that sound like it was taken care of? I would avoid this hotel at all costs! I only wish I could give it less than 1 star!

Never Again

by written on May 18, 2011

I stayed here for a week with my friend, and since check in, i thought to myself why did i come here. Front desk was not friendly, acted like they were doing me a favor. Room was dingy,old, and did not have a view of ocean. Rug was torn and ac did not work, in caribe tower, moved 1 hour later to main tower. Balcony door did not open, room was so dated, ref did not work, and just a few things, housekeeping did not come the first night, toliet overflowed 2 X in a week, balcony had view of lower rooftop, best buy was there and bars were reserved for them only, key was deactivated 3X and no explanation and staff was so rude. Never will stay here again, only spa and pool were nice.....$$$$$$$$$$$$

Great Hotel

by written on July 4, 2010

It's hard to go wrong with Hilton but it will cost you. We stayed at Caribe Hilton for a week during the last part of June 2010.

Our hotel was great. The reception area was open and inviting. The front desk workers were very friendly and helpful. Looking passed the reception area, the background wall was constructed of glass to show the pool areas, the palm trees and the ocean. There was a bar and eating area right before exiting to the pool area and beach area.

The concierge was very helpful and provided good advice. The reception area also had water for guests to drink that contained cut fruit - it was very refreshing.

We visited other beaches but it would have been better to just stay at the hotel beach - it was better equipped with chairs/umbrellas/snorkeling equipment/food&drinks, nicer, and close to our room for changing. The public beaches in Puerto Rico had limited facilties for showering and changing which we found disappointing. The hotel beach had a barrier for smoother water for the beach front area which makes it easier for smaller children to play. The barrier had coral areas which contained schools of colorful fish which was very nice during snorkeling.

The hotel had about a dozen pools and a hot tub area along with a bar area to enjoy a drink while dipping in the pool. While very nice, it will cost you. A pina colada here was $12 and a virgin drink was $8. There were some birds walking around and a peacock. There were also some macaws and a cockatoo in a large cage in the reception area.

The room size in the hotel was about average but adequate with a decent view of the water. We stayed in the villas. The cost was about $180 a night. While food is plentiful in the hotel with numerous restaraunts it can be expensive. The first night we had a dinner that cost $150 and I had a turkey sandwich - it was 4 of us with 2 drinks per adult and 1 virgin drink for each of 2 children and an appetizer and 2 desserts.

The staff were very friendly. Housekeeping went up and beyond just making our beds and giving us fresh towels but actually arranged my daughter's stuff animals on the bed each day the bed was made.

We did have to switch rooms on the first day due to mildew on the outside of the room.

This hotel seemed to be one of the best hotels in the area. We would certainly stay here again if we visit San Juan Puerto Rico again.

Dabs's Profile Photo

Priceline in San Juan

by written on January 2, 2010

Discouraged by the prices and availability at hotels for our 1 night pre cruise stay, I decided to have a look at Hotwire and Priceline. Hotwire had a couple of hotels in the $130-160 range so my plan was to bid on Priceline until I got to that point and then book through Hotwire. I successfully bid on Priceline and got the Hilton Caribe for $90US plus tax. I was bidding in the 3* category but I think "resort" gets added to every bid which is unfortunate because it was a waste for us who just needed a place to sleep. With Priceline, the 14% resort fee was not included so we had to pay an additional $12 for something we didn't use. Still it was better than paying $200 for a room to sleep in.

We didn't see much of the grounds because we arrived late and checked out early, the resort is a sprawling complex with rooms and villas. We ended up at the Condado Lagoon Villas section of the resort, our room had a mini kitchen and could sleep four.

I would have preferred a hotel in Old San Juan but the location of this hotel isn't too bad, we walked to Old San Juan but it was a good 30-40 minute walk (1 1/2-2 miles) and some people say the neighborhood in between the two isn't the greatest although we didn't have a problem during daylight hours. If you go out at night, a taxi is probably a good idea.

From the airport a taxi was $19 + $1 for each piece of luggage, taxi fares from the airport are fixed not metered.

Unique Quality: Room-we had two queen size beds, very comfortable with lots of pillows and a down comforter

Bathroom-the unit has it's own water heater so plenty of hot water, La Source conditioner, shampoo and lotion, good towels

Kitchen-mini fridge, microwave, sink

Horrible Customer Service & Room at a High Price

by written on July 16, 2009

This is the type of hotel that will nickel and dime you. But that is often the case with a large resort that has trouble keeping itself full. So that wasn't that big of an issue.

I've lived in the Caribbean for about 10 years and customer service is often lacking (but if you make an effort to talk with people they will generally warm up), but I have never come across anything like this. Every single employee I encountered was sour. From the Check in to the check out., no smiles and no courtesy. Check in took over 45 minutes and most of that time was for us check in, not waiting in line. All we asked was to upgrade to a King Villa with Ocean View (we were not asking for it for free but to pay for it), from an ocean view deluxe room. He said it was available as soon as we asked for it but then took FOREVER to check us in, never chatting with us or telling us what was wrong, just frowning silence.

On a side note I hate the loud squawking parrots in hotel lobbies. Feels like its going to pierce your ear drums, but I guess kids like that.

So after a long very confusing walk to the villa area of the property we get to our room. I was really disappointed. It was beige, beige and beige with a white bed (Who decides to make a Caribbean room brown? Just makes it look dingy). It was a very dark room and on top of the disappointing first impression we had no ocean view but some kind of canal view with construction going on.

The windows and the walls are extremely thin, we could hear our neighbors every night and construction woke us up every morning!!! So we were kept awake late at night and woken up early, sounds like a great vacation doesn’t it? And the room would barely get cool. We’re paying all sorts of taxes, resort fees and energy charges and we have a hot room. Also after discovering our room OPEN (if you did not lift the door handle back up it wouldn't click and lock) we called down to the operator right away and reported the problem, no one came, reported it again, not one came. That was pretty much the last straw.

We ate at Mortons several times and had excellent service. That is the best part of the hotel. Ask the Concierge for recommendations twice and the recommendations were awful. And again she acted like we were putting her out by bothering her.

We moved to the Marriott San Juan & Stellaris Casino, halfway during our stay because I could not stand the service any longer at the Caribe. We had a wonderful stay there. I told Caribe front desk at check out how awful my stay was and they had no concern about it at all. Caribe made my stay so awful I am telling everyone how bad it was. I feel like I came back from vacation angry and I’ve never experienced that before.

Directions: Just outside of Old San Juan

rojo_diosa's Profile Photo

$ $ $

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 26, 2007

first impression: nice but i expected more for the $$$. Not my kind of place, materialistic, American-mall, over-priced stores in the lobby, Starbucks for the tourist who can't let go, several good restaurants BUT waaaay too $$$. The breakfast buffet has a huge selection($18), fresh fruits, bacon, egg, pancakes... take advantage +then eat out for lunch +dinner. Lemongrass restaurant (in the hotel) was delicious food but very $$$
+a long wait.
On the weekend Caribe was 10X as crowded w/non-puerto-riquenos, sardinedinto slatted-lounge chairs with frat-pack to the left of us discoursing on the previous nights' drunken-slurpies+to the right: an older New Yorker couples'drawn-out argument, warts + all.
Supposedly the Hilton has activities for kids but they didnt actually exist. BUT they did stay "free".

I felt "so-so" about my stay + considering the price, I should have been ecstatic imo, but I do not know how this one compares, we have only stayed at the Marriot Condado. The Marriot had a casino, the Caribe does not, the Caribe was Much larger, the Marriot had a water-slide.....I think I would like to stay in a smaller place, because there is so much to do in San Juan, you do not have to choose a hotel with many activities or a beach, you can find these things elsewhere.

Unique Quality: Its what you would expect... two pools and a swim-up bar, a garden area with lizards and some mean swans, a bird named poncho in the lobby, music on the weekends and a BIG TV showing games. We had to ask for washcloths, mini-bar was empty, the view from our room (over the roof of the lower floors) was Ft San Geronimo (cool) but I wondered about this gross Hotel sitting ontop of historical ruin.
View from the tiny beach is palm-treed park (Balnearo Fuerte Escambron). At the end of the pier at the beach area there are many tropical fish, you get bread from the towel stand and feed the fish, THIS is cool.

Caribe Hilton

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 11, 2007

We had a nice stay at the Caribe Hilton. The beach was nice. The pools were also a lot of fun - especially the swim up bar. The location was good - walking distance to Old San Juan, but beware - this walk in the middle of the day in July is quite warm. Only ate at two of the restaurants there, one outside a nice place for a light lunch, and an Italian restaurant that was also a good experience. And the Starbucks on the premises makes for a convenient and not too expensive breakfast. I'd stay here again if I returned to San Juan.

Unique Quality: The pool and beach were nice. The hotel also offerred daily activities for both adults and children. The one that I participated in was yoga on the beach, which was a very relaxing experience. You can also arrange day trips such as to El Yunque, the rainforest, through the hotel, which is very convenient.

allenk_007's Profile Photo

Super hotel at gateway to Old San Juan

by written on September 6, 2006

The Caribe Hilton is a very nice hotel at the gateway to Old San Juan. It sits adjacent to San Geronimo... the remnants of an old fort (there are two nicer forts minutes away in Old San Juan). The hotel boasts nice restaurants including a Morton's Steakhouse.

If the beach is your thing, this hotel lacks some of the others in Puerto Rico in general and San Juan in particular, yet it is seaside and located beautifully.

Unique Quality: Location
Open air lobby
Sipping a pina colada at the bar overlooking the ocean.

Directions: Located close to the entrance to Old San Juan, across the bay from the Condado section of Puerto Rico, and adjacent to San Geronimo.

Blayz's Profile Photo

San Juan Resort

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 3, 2006

When we arrived it was about 1030p so our first stop was to check in and get something to eat - the Thursday night buffet was really delicious, and left us hopeful that we would have some good eating in the following days - WRONG! The Hilton has four upscale restaurants and thier food is ok, but a little over priced. The Thursday buffet was great, even if it was $40, but the breakfast buffet (@20) and the other evening buffets (priced from $25-$45) were uninspiring.

Other than that the hotel was great. The beds were ridiculously comfortable and the manager had no problem giving me an upgrade to a room with an incredible ocean/city view.

Unique Quality: There were multiple pools and a private beach. I had read lots of complaints about the beach being only 5 feet of sand and filthy, but during my stay that was not the case. Maybe when those (poor) reviews were writted it was during high tide, because it does cause the beach area to get a bit shallow. Other than that it was picturesque, I could have made my own Corona commercials (substituting Hurricanes for Coronas).

But be careful about your bar/room tab... you can drink yourself into nightly $200 bills if you are not careful...:-)

Nearby Caribe Hilton San Juan

Caribe Hilton San Juan

• San Juan Caribe Hilton Hotel
  • Hilton Hotel San Juan
  • Hilton Hotel Caribe
  • Caribe Hilton San Juan Hotel San Juan

Address: Las Rosales St, San Geronimo Grounds, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 00901, Caribbean

13 Photos of Caribe Hilton San Juan

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

San Juan Travel Forum

Need advice about San Juan, Puerto Rico? Visit the Travel Forum for San Juan and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Juan hotel reviews

Favorites
Incredible Sail Away Dinner
Bacardi distillery
Things to Do
Clubs, casinos and so much more
Nightlife
El Morro (Castillo San Filipe)
Things to Do
The Cristo Chapel ('Capilla del Cristo)
Parque las Palomas
Paseo de la Princesa
Bacardi Factory
Birthplace of the Piña Colada
Restaurants
The best breakfast in OSJ!
Our favorite place!
Visit on Foot, Take your Time
Cathedral of San Juan Bautista
A Word About Cruising
Transportation
A Nice Souvenir Opportunity!
Shopping