Coqui Inn

36 Calle Mar Mediterraneo, Villamar - Isla Verde, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 00979, Caribbean

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• AnMelch7's Profile Photo

DANGEROUS PLACE Robbery!

We stayed here on the recommendation of AA vacations. Upon arrival The clerk gave my friend and I vouchers for their restaurant.. upon leaving the hotel mewe immediately got jumped by a robber in the bushes who ripped the bag off my friend almost breaking her shoulder. We screamed to the hotel but no one bothered to help or come out (It is open-air) we fought with the robber and I chased him down the street and a white car was waiting by the hotel and wisked him away He got passport, 200.00 cash, DL, Credit cards and phone.The response of the whole situation seemed very STRANGE by the hotel staff..You can draw your own conclusion of the hotels involvement from this review.. Then my friend with bloody toes aske dfor some water after the robbery the hotel staff poured it froim her personal jug and they charged me 80.00 for a nice night of robbery! This is VERY unsafe and in the ghetto and DONT stay here! Do u hear me?? You may end up like us and Im glad we were not killed!_

Unique Quality: A complete robbery set up were the hotel staff were hush hush and didnt care.. sort of like it happened alot!!???

More about Coqui Inn

Nice Place for Less Money

For $55.00 a night, you can't cask for more. If I let myself, go by the reviews I would've probably have never stayed in The Mango Inn. The neighborhood is very safe and quiet. The outside appearance is more of a guest house. The room that we got was very comfortable. We asked for one double bed, and there was an extra twin bed for the same price. The bed was very comfortable and clean, also the bathroom was clean with hot and cold water. Air Conditioning was perfect, and enough closet space. The only thing that I highly recommend are "Do Not Disturb" signs for the doors. The maid was knocking at the door at 9:00am, and we wanted to rest longer. Staff was courteous and friendly. Also, they have vending machines (juices, sodas, and snacks)...there's a microwave in the lobby. The pool is small, but good enough. It is very well located, with food stores and shops around the vecinity. There's parking available right in front of the Mango Inn. Late at night it's hard to get a spot, since they have limited parking space. In my opinion we had a great time, for a good price, and we are planning to go back soon. If you are on a budget, The Mango Inn is one of the places to stay.

No no, Don't go!!!

I almost went but read the reviews and was spared. But, while in Isla Verde I rode past these dumps and realized that I had almost stayed there and went and took a look. These are run down hotels on an 8 lane highway mixed in with a bunch of body shops and other commercial businesses. The sound and exhaust fumes will depress you if the visuals don't. You have to cross over the highway and find a public entrance to the beach in order to get to the sea. It's also not a safe area. Save yourself a lot of trouble & go elsewhere. The Hosteria del Mar and The Wind Chimes have nice accomodations at the same price.

Here's a TIP...

They say you get what you pay for. Not always. It isn't so in case of Ritz Carlton in San Juan and many other places. In the case of the good old Mango Inn, it rings true. You just cannot expect The Four Seasons quality (now that's a perfect hotel) when you're paying $65 a night. The hotel is indeed worth that much. It's a semi clean (we found a big roach crawling in our shower), quiet hotel, 15 minutes away from the beach. Ours had the standard things, such as t.v, clean sheets every morning, fresh towels. We made love every night and seemed to forgot that the place really wasn't that special.TIP: stay at the Mango if you're on the budget, walk across the street to the big chain hotels and use their pools, restaurants and casinos. Soak your tourist butt in their hot tubs (Wyndham has a few, they're located in a beautiful garden) and dance, drink the nights away. As for Old San Juan, yeah...it's not Paris but it has its charm. Beware of the crime in the city, don't venture out at night, especially alone.

STAY HERE AGAIN!!!

by TripAdvisor Member holylola

They have really improved themselves since the last review was written. I would definately stay here again. Everything was great, the rooms were nice and clean, and the service was excellent. The restaurant also served great food. Would stay here again.

horrible

As soon a we looked at the room, we turned around and refused to stay!
It was that bad. The guy at the desk said it would be no problem, we wouldnt be charged, but of course we were. He said he voided the transaction but it appeared on the credit card. I have been calling them ever since, (2 months) trying to get it straightened out. Don't even bother with this hotel. There is a reason its so cheap, and it looks like you wouldnt get out alive!

BEWARE!!!!!!

Spare yourself your sanity and money! ANYWHERE in Puerto Rico is better than the Green Isle. The staff tries to appear friendly and accomodating but they are anything but. If you encounter a problem, they NEVER get around to fixing anything. They just smile and take your money!! If you choose so unwisely to stay there, be warned that you risk a toilet that won't flush, no hot water, no air-conditioning, no lock on the door, or as my spouse and I discovered, a door that wouldn't let us OUT AND A NON-WORKING TELEPHONE. (We were stuck in our room (on a 98degree day with a non-working air-conditioner) for greater than 3 hours banging on the walls and doing eveything we could to get someone's attention). And if you would decide to check out a few days short of your reservation end time(as we did because our party which had reserved several rooms for a 5-day stay, did as we encountered ALL these problems and we moved to the Mariott down the road), they will continue to charge your credit card for the days you didn't stay!! Then you enter into a credit card dispute with your holder that (at this time)is still going on almost a year later. In addition, the establishment does NOT have a restaurant nor a bar as they advertise.
At the pool side(very small) they have a covered formica free standing "bar" with an ice machine. There is no service. Period. None. DON"T give this place a second thought. It's a place for losers and those who are too drunk to care (which is who most of the clientele were).

The Rate

This place is so disgusting that I actually never checked in. Prior to check-in, we were led to our room and it was a horror! No closets, or dressers, the lock was on the nob, our room would have been on street level and the door had a good 6 inches from the ground. Filthy and full of ants. I would imagine at night you would probably get large bugs and even huge lizards and rats crawl in your room. We would have had to carry our luggage everywhere, had we stayed here. This place is a disgusting - "RAT HOLE" and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. This would not be a relaxing vacation.

The Truth about the Mango Inn

We were a group of 4 and after our cruise we decided to say in this hotel for the night before our flight back to the states. We paid $130 for the night and we staid on a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment. We thought it was a great deal so we took it. I tell you it was pretty horrible, it turns out that there was no phone on that apartment so we had to go to a public phone. We gave that a try but it was a pain having to go to the payphone every single time. Finally we went and complained and asked to be changed to a room we a phone line among other things. The managing staff then connected a phone in one of the rooms (even though they had previously said there wasnt a working line there), since the phone was install in one room we had to all take turns, which meant that there wasnt any privacy for the couple that was staying there (annoying). And to top it off they had the rudeness to charge you .80 cents a call, even if it was a 1-800 free of charge call. In addition the kitchen was pretty filthy and there werent any utensils also the air-conditioning in one of the rooms liking as well so you had to be careful that you didnt slip. I can go on forever, but I hope this helps you in your search.

House of Horror

Stay away!!!! After a wonderful stay in Puerto Rico, my last three days where booked at the Mango Inn, My girlfriend and I arrived around 9 P.M. It took the clerk on duty almost 40 minutes to check us in, and that was with me doing the math, and helping her with the paperwork.
After getting the key to our room, we were told that the room was outside the hotel thru a door that had a broken lock. Arriving at our room, we found no hot water( for both days) The door had a opening at the bottom that was about 3 inches wide. The sink leaked the whole time, the toilet flushed when it felt like it. There were ants all over the place. On the second night while coming back in from a nice dinner, my girlfirend almost had a heart attack when she open the door and there was a rat on the bed. No closets, no remotes for the TV. Having traveled all over the world, I have never stayed at a more discusting place in my life. I can recommend some great little inns in Puerto Rico, but this one should be demolished and a parking lot put in it's place.

for those people stayed at Coqui Inn-Formerly Green Isle Inn & Casa Mathieson

by 9tigers

Does each room has a basic kichen stuff, pots and pans and plates
and what about frig and safe box?

thanks!