Da House Hotel

312 San Francisco St, Old San Juan, San Juan, 00901, Caribbean

Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com

• Bad

DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS PLACE.

I stayed at DaHouse Dec 25-28 in room 408. The place is a disaster.

The mechanical equipment directly on the roof makes loud noise and vibration every 5-20min that makes it impossible to sleep. We complained to front desk staff but nothing was done.

On our last night it rained heavily overnight. Two of the shut windows leaked and left water on the floor. There is a large leak from the roof through the ceiling on the interior side of the room that ran down the wall behind the hanging clothes rod area. The ceiling above that area is damaged so the problem has existed for some time. I had a backpack up against the wall that got soaked and ruined some papers inside.

Water temperature was lukewarm at best.

Floor was in terrible shape.

Blanket had holes in it.

They don't even provide little shampoos, let alone TV yet try to charge first world prices.

• gdilieto's Profile Photo

Midrange Boutique Hotel in Old San Juan

Friendly midrange boutique hotel, with charm and character, in the heart of Old San Juan.

Housed in a historical four-story building, rooms are all different from one another and decorated with art from local artists. The quality of accomodation is in the "midrange" or "three-star" grade for international standard, rooms are basically furnished and with no much of amenities but clean and comfortable.

Note that rooms at night can get very noisy as the ground floor of the buildings houses one of the hottest salsa/dance clubs in town and there is loud music and people outside in the calle until late at night (i.e. early morning hours) The Hotel does a good job in their website in pointing out the grade of noisiness of every rooms, and you can book yours accordingly. I stayed in two of the less-noisy rooms, they were fine but I could still hear some background noise. Not an issue for me as I can sleep in almost every conditions, but if you are of the kind who need silence you better pick some place else.

I enjoyed my stay and experienced good accomodation. Only negative note is that water in the bathroom and in the shower had weak flow and pressure (I guess because of the fourth floor) and the rooms had no TV (sometimes you just want check the news...). There is access to a shared-computer and the Internet in the lobby as well as Wi-Fi connection. There is no breakfast included in the rate but "La Bombonera Restaurant" and the "Mallorca Café", two Old San Juan institutions, are one block away to serve you. Front-desk service was friendly with young staff willing to be helpful.

All in all a good-quality midrange place with character in the center of Old San Juan's action. I would consider returning here if back in town.

More about Da House Hotel

Perfect Surprise

by TripAdvisor Member SalseroRuso

Perfect location. Excellent staff. The room was perfect – we stayed in one of the top storey rooms with a patio. There was A/C in the room but we did not need it – two windows had a good breeze going. Room was clean
The best part for us (and I can see how it could be the worst part for some) was presence of two bars adjacent to the hotel. One had customers occupying el callejon (little walking street) on which hotel is located every night. They created a street ambiance that my wife and I loved! On top of that, the second place – “The Nuorican Café”, that I think, is similar to the one in NYC, had life music blasting every night! Most of the nights it was Salsa! One day it was Latin Rock! My previous trips to PR I had to look for Salsa places, and with Regaton invasion it was a difficult task, believe me! This time we had Salsa party with life music going on every night next door! That was beyond my wildest dreams. Both of us adore Salsa and love to dance. We were very happy with our stay in Da Hause.
Thank you all very much!

LIve Salsa - in your own room!

by TripAdvisor Member yetanotherone

Don't be fooled by the nice pictures and perfect location, or by the nice NYT review (that's what happened to us).
The deal seemed to good to be true: when we entered the hotel, we were amazed to see that it was such a nice cool place. I thougth the reason for such a low price was that the hotel was still under construction and rooms were missing fine details. However, that night we discovered what the problem with the hotel was: it's sitting on top of a salsa club. Starting at 10 pm the whole building vibrates to the rhythm of the music played downstairs. If you are lucky enough to have a room facing the alley, you also get the noise of the party going on in the bar right underneath your window.
The location of the hotel is hard to beat, but this is certainly not a place for resting. When I complained about the noise, the manager suggested to solve the problem with earplugs, and was even offended because I thought the room was a place to sleep! She replied that this hotel was for people that wanted to enjoy the nightlife.
We had planned a 4-night stay, but we had to leave and find another place (impossible for the same amount of money) after the first night (which was not even a weekend night!).
In summary, despite the very nice atmosphere, I would not recommend this hotel unless you don't need sleep (music goes on until 3 am or so, construction noise starts around 8 am).

Loud, yes, but so stylish and clean

by TripAdvisor Member exaltron

This hotel reminded me of some of the coolest places I've stayed in Europe, especially in Barcelona. With it's modern/vintage furniture, beautiful tiled floors in every room, high ceilings and huge windows, you would pay at least twice for a comparable hotel in Europe.
I agree with the reviewer above about the noise, but it shouldn't necessarily put you off. I was on the third floor directly above the entrance to the club and I could make out every instrument and every note. Maybe just because I was exhausted, I was able to conk right out once I put in the earplugs they offered at the front desk. A room on the fourth floor towards the front of the building (the entrance to the club is along the side), would probably be considerably quieter (though with the balconies, they go for at least $20 more).
One more thing: if noise is an issue in the morning, you may want to check with them if construction is going on across the alley as it was when I was there.
And make sure you spend a few minutes lounging in the lobby of the hotel, easily one of the most gorgeous and interesting I've been in.

Nice for the price, but Loud!

by TripAdvisor Member Erin_Chicago

I read the reviews and knew the noise reputation, but we needed a place for 1 night on a layover. This location was fantastic, hotel was fantastic, staff was fantastic--and an unbeatable price. Noise at night was so much louder than I could've imagined! The bar downstairs wasn't so bad but the party in the street--live entertainment in the street--right outside the window on a Wed night. The live music featuring lots of drumming stopped about 1:30am and then the club went another hour maybe. The club wasn't so bad as it was contained inside, but the music in the street--I can't get over how impossible it was to drown it out.

If we went back, I'd see if I could upgrade to an interior room (I think they've got interior rooms)--it would be worth it & still a good price. The rooftop deck was very nice too. But if there were no noise, I'm sure this place would charge $200/night.

Great if you can sleep through anything

by TripAdvisor Member mrsirin

As others have noted, Da House is very stylish, with a great central location in Old San Juan. However, the music, whether from the adjacent Nuyorican club, or from the bar in the alley, went on until about 3 AM almost every day I was there. I wore earplugs, but they couldn't block the sound of a trumpet in the alley at 2:30 one morning. Also, there's no elevator, so be prepared to carry your bags up four flights of stairs if you stay on the top level (the one with the terrace). The owner and the staff are very nice and friendly, though, and partying twenty-somethings likely would love the place.

Great Find!

by TripAdvisor Member Kione

This is a beautiful, art-filled hotel in an awesome location - the heart of Old San Juan next to all the restaurants, bars and attractions. As others have noted, the Nuyorican Cafe is right next door and live bands play salsa there until the wee hours - so if you are seeking tranquility this is not the right hotel for you. However, if you are in Puerto Rico for a good time, why not go down and join the party! The patio on the top floor is also a great place to take in some of the atmosphere of a very happening Caribbean town.

All that said, Da House does seem to be a work in progress. We had no hot water for a few days during our stay, which I suspect has something to do with the fact that some parts of the place still appear to be under construction. They also really need some kind of a sign outside because the entrance is in an alley and can be hard to find. Also, be warned that there did not seem to be TV's, clocks or radios in any of the rooms we saw ... not saying that's a bad thing, but it is another reason why Da House isn't for everyone.

Bottom line: if you are looking for a stylish room in one of PR's funkiest neighborhoods and you are flexible enough to deal with minor inconveniences you can't beat Da House for the money.

Recommended, but not for families

by TripAdvisor Member enjoyandre

This was a pretty cool place to stay, its a renovated spanish colonial era building with rooms on the small side (at least ours was) and with a very european sort of feel. Our room opened up to a small patio, and a stairway beyond the patio led to the rooftop with a larger patio area. Great views from the roof of Old San Juan.

The staff was very helpful and polite, and spoke flawless English if thats something thats important to you.

While we stayed there, there was a loud private party in the alleyway, and in the hotel lobby, which we weren't informed about ahead of time... although we were ok with it, I could imagine that some people might be annoyed. Overall it was pretty loud every night we were there (Tuesday to Friday), which is why I wouldn't recommend it for families with children. Also the alleyway where the hotel's entrance is, is shared with the Nuyorican cafe and a small bar... so expect to see drunk people if you go out at night...

With that said, I would definitely stay there again, because I felt like I was at the heart of where the action was in old San Juan.

Great for the price

by TripAdvisor Member proswthrt

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. It's definitely a quaint eclectic hotel. The room we had was small, but very nice and clean. I know you are not supposed to do this on vacation but there was no TV. We weren't planning on staying in the room and just watching TV the whole trip, but on our down time it would have been nice to have. The music from the cafe below sneaks it's way up into your room at night. For the most part it wasn't that bad, but our last night at the hotel there was a lot of screaming going on so it was hard to sleep. The staff was helpful although when we arrived they stuck strictly to the 3pm check in time even though we got there at 2pm and the hotel seemed quite deserted.

The location is a plus and Cafe Puertorico that is around the corner from the hotel is GREAT! The food was amazing. I wanted to go back for more!

All in all it was good. Probably would not go back, but it was good.

Great Deal, Great Location, Great Bed!

by TripAdvisor Member jonesgirl84

The previous reviews were fairly accurate, and Da House was everything I expected it to be. It really wasn’t that hard to find (the taxi will drop you off at the front of the street, it’s down on the right just before the café). There’s even a sign on the wall in front of the two wooden doors. Yes, there are a a lot of stairs, but it’s really not a big deal, and you’ll be walking plenty in San Juan anyways. The décor is great—so classy and hip, with lots of colorful paintings covering the walls. I felt like I was staying at some design editors apartment in NYC or something, which was awesome. We arrived early (they are pretty strict about the 3pm check in), so they kept our bags in the office and we grabbed some lunch. Yerta’s (east one block on the left) has great sandwiches and are very affordable. Our room was cozy and stylish, with its own original paintings. The bed was soooo comfortable, with soft pillows and a duvet (no scratchy comforters here), and the bathroom was great as well. The room was immaculately clean, and the towels were as soft and fluffy as you could ask for. The handle broke in our shower on the second day, so the manager gave me the key to take a shower in another room, which worked out just fine. The management was very friendly and gave us great service, including recommendations to Taste, an absolutely amazing restaurant down the street where I had the best meal of my entire life. It’s brand new and we wouldn’t have known about it if not for their reccomendation. We also ate at Tantra, which was right down the street as well, and the service and food was wonderful. We had dessert at a little Tapas place next to the Starbucks (it’s owned by the people who own Dragonfly) and that was heavenly as well. The food in San Juan is great, just be prepared to spend a little dough on a good meal (the cheap food is good too, but you’ll be so glad you ate somewhere incredible for dinner). Breakfast at Mallorca’s Diner was great both mornings—the Mallorca pastry and Western omelet sandwich = muy bien! We got lunch from a vendor near the city gates and it was cheap and fillings.

There was loud salsa music at night, yes, but our room (409) was pretty well insulated and it definitely didn’t keep us from sleeping. Just try to get a room on a higher floor if noise bothers you. Da House is a great location, great price—they are still a work in progress, so not everything is as it should be yet (although the rooftop Jacuzzi was days away from being finished when we were there, and it looked like it will be great). Don’t go expecting a luxury resort, but you can’t beat the people or the service. Highly recommended!

Comments