105 Calle de Diego, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 00925-3313, Caribbean

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 31% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• HailVibrainia's Profile Photo

Lower Your Expectations And You'll Be Fine

The vast majority of the staff at the front desk are either incompetent or...something. It's not "the language barrier," there really wasn't one. Make the effort to use Spanish and you'll do fine. They just didn't do their job, nor care. One example, a fax came to the hotel for me. I confirmed three times that it was sent. For two and a half days, the front desk staff swore it had not been received. Logn story short, I finally got on my cell while at the desk, had the sender call the hotel; in the office behind the front desk they checked the out-put tray of their fax: there it was. It had been sent days earlier. No one at the front bothered to check; it was easier to say, "no, we didn't get any fax." Polite folks, friendly, helpful with giving directions even if they had no idea...just...not that bright. Asked what room number another member of our party was in; they didn't know how to look it up.

The continental breakfast is as you will see in other postings here: get there early or the selection is limited. And it isn't that great to start off with. You have your choice of breads: bagel, toast, muffin. Sometimes cereal, on some days we saw bananas, some days we didn't. Do yourself a favor, leave the hotel, go right to the light, hang another right, go less than a block and a half to bebo's cafe. Great breakfast.

Free internet...worked for less than 24 hours, out for days. The front desk couldn't say anything about when it might be back up.

That's the bad. The good: it was a room. Nothing fancy. The maids (which you will see in other postings) are loud at 7am, but they are not obnioxious. They're friendly and will try to help with whatever. Consider the noise part of the charm. Cabs are easy to get. It's centrally located if you are not going to be in Old San Juan ALL the time. Would I stay there again? Yeah, I probably will. It's cheaper than most. That's a big point in its favor. But I won't ask the front desk for the time of day.

Unique Quality: Nice (small) pool surrounded by palm trees.
    Nice view of the major construction project next door.
    During spring break it is full of multiple groups of 8th graders. (Since when do 8th graders take spring break trips?)
    Across the street from a supermarket. Don't wait for traffic to stop as you cross the street, just walk - like the locals do. It'll stop.

Directions: Right next to Condado neghborhood

More about Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

Perfect stay at Doubletree!

by TripAdvisor Member 1goodtrip

We recently stayed at Doubletree, San Juan to celebrate my friend's birthday. It was our first time in Puerto Rico and will not be our last! The staff was very warm upon reception and very helpful and accommodating throughout our 5 night stay. We booked 2 adjoining rooms with queen and pull out murphy beds. I was pleasantly surprised that the murphy beds were so comfortable. The rooms were modern, clean and well appointed...we had everything we needed. The hotel was within walking distance to the Condado beach area, and right next door to a 24 hour grocery store...very convenient. Cab rides to Old San Juan will run you about $15-20 each way and well worth it...OSJ is beautiful with a great variety of restaurants...try Tantra for Indo-Latin fusion cuisine!

Beautiful Hotel/Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Keiff

What can I say, service was great, the hotel was great, the property is beautiful. I want to thank Dreamy Oahu who posted the 1st review, I was going back and forward whether or not to book this hotel. I kept checking Trip Advisor and finally Dreamy Oahu posted a review I contacted Dreamy and was assured that my family and I would enjoy our stay, I also contact Jose the operations manager via e-mail and he too responded, not only did he respond but he gave me some great information about San Juan great places to eat and places to see. I felt that Jose went above and beyond the call. Although we only stayed 1 night prior to our cruise, we will stay again. The hotel was only about 10 min from the airport and about 10 min to the port. We booked the package with breakfast and it was great, not to mention the warm Doubletree cookies you get upon check in, we were able to purchase water from the 24 hour store right across the street to take on the cruise. We got a great rate, there's an old saying you get what you pay for, in this case we got more than what we paid for...LOL.

Great friendly staff, convienient location, don't miss the cookies

by TripAdvisor Member AlmostThere82

My girlfriend and I recently stay here. We were in PR for vacation, to go to the beach and see some of the islands attractions. This was a prefect hotel for what we needed. It served as our base for exploration of the island. Parking in the garage seemed pricey at 15 dollars a day, but then again I am not too familiar with local rates. The pool is small, but the pool area is really nice and if you are going to puerto rico for a big pool consider orlando. The hotel is close to the beach and ashford avenue and is a short drive from the airport, rain forest, fajardo and luqillo. be careful when booking through hotwire as the promised included breakfast has been discontinued. Wanda and Courtney were extremely helpful and accommodating.

Kudos!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member tr45NewYork

I loved this hotel. The staff, room and location is superb. They really took care of us and went above and beyond to accommodate us even when where stranded with out any reservations. From now on I will always stay here and only wished we would have started our trip with this hotel.

Clean Hotel, close to beach and great price

by TripAdvisor Member reanbean1

We loved our stay at this hotel. We stayed for two nights with a party of 5. The hotel was very clean and the front desk staff was very friendly and informative. The rooms were a bit small but they were very well organized so you had everything you needed in the space. The bathrooms are gorgeous! The beach was about a 5 minute walk and it was clean and well kept. We were about a 10 minute drive away from Old San Juan. I would definitely stay here again.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member slforsch

Good location, lovely rooms- very comfy beds.
Microwave, small refrigerator, even do-it-yourself guest laundry was available. Great guest coffee in the room.
On the public bus line- take A5 or B21 to old San Juan for 0.75- exact change required. Otherwise cabs are $20.
Nice W/O room, lovely tropical pool area with spa.
Comfy lobby.
Nothing bad about this place.
Also, a 24 hour grocery store was across the street.
Would stay here again.
A few blocks from the beach and hotel/casino row in the Condado beach area.
Will seek out this place again if we return to San Juan.

BEST HOTEL IN SAN JUAN!!

by TripAdvisor Member mokavlak

By far the BEST hotel in San Juan! Newly-rennovated, clean, comfortable rooms, exceptional staff who are very courteous, helpful, and friendly, especially Alejandra! Easy walking distance to Condado (and Condado Beach) and Ocean Park area (and Ocean Park Beach). Lots of dining options to choose from. Old San Juan only a short taxi/car ride away. Great for business travelers - rooms have free cable Internet, microwave oven, mini-fridge, as well as wall-mounted flat-screen TV. Free wireless Internet in lobby. I highly-recommend Doubletree by Hilton San Juan to anyone planning a visit to San Juan, Puerto Rico!

Grrrrrrrrrreat Place for many reasons

by TripAdvisor Member Eggs_Benedict

Newly redone place and renamed Double Tree Hilton. Redecorated with modern deco style. Rooms, lobby and and facilities are top notch. Staff friendly. Great location, even the supermarket across the street changed name and ownership from Pueblo to Super Max. Definitley recommend. Short trip to a nice beach. 2 great food places - Under The Trees and an el cheapo Bebos, both within walking distance.

Beautiful hotel, superb service!

by TripAdvisor Member CaribTraveler787

We stayed here for one night. It was a special trip for my wife's 40th birthday, so of course I wanted to make sure everything was just right. I emailed Jose Cepero ahead of time with a special request, and he responded right away and was extremely gracious. When we arrived, we were very impressed with the hotel itself. It's a beautiful building. The room was a great size, with a cool, minimalist, ultramodern look (blacks, reds, smoked glass bathroom and closet doors, etc.), but very comfortable. There was a bar that ran the length of the room that we found very convenient. But the highlight for us was the exceptional service. Everything was just as I had arranged beforehand. We arrived right at 3:00 and were very warmly welcomed. Not only were they professional and courteous, but it was apparent that they truly cared that we have a good time. Thank you to Jose Cepero and your team!! My wife's birthday was perfect. The next time we need to stay in San Juan, the Doubletree will be at the top of our list---and next time we'll stay longer!
PS: The warm chocolate chip cookies are as good as we've heard!

Shopping/Accomodation in San Juan

by Buckwild3000

I'm planning to visit San Juan from June 18-20 with my wife and two small kids. I've already been referred to Hotel Pierre and a small hotel in Rio Piedras but I've also been told that Rio Piedras is somewhat unsafe. Is this true? I would like to stay somewhere safe for kids with great shopping nearby.

RE: Shopping/Accomodation in San Juan

by pecaspeca

I don't know about the Hotel Pierre, I don't know where it's located nor I have ever heard its name but I can reccomend you not to stay in Rio Piedras. Both my high school and university are in Rio Piedras (in total I have been studying there for 12 years so I know the city). Although Rio Piedras is an important city, specially because the most important university of PR is located there, it is unsafe and not so clean. I mean, I have never had serious problems but I have heard many stories, and besides I am a local... I guess that if you look like a tourist the situation will be difficult.

Well, I will just tell you that if I, as a tourist, end up in a place like Rio Pidras having a lot of better choices, I would be really mad.

I hope all that help you,
Melissa

RE: RE: Shopping/Accomodation in San Juan

by Buckwild3000

Thanks a lot, Melissa. Actually, it's the Best Western - Hotel Pierre. I think it's located in downtown San Juan. I also came across El Canario Inn in Condado which looks pretty nice and affordable. Thanks again for all your help.
Nigel

RE: RE: Shopping/Accomodation in San Juan

by BergsFinest

I also have never heard of Hotel Pierre, nor the hotel you said in Condado, but that's common when big resorts like Wyndham and Marriott steal the spotlight. Condado is a very nice area, and Old San Juan is nice, too. The areas to avoid are La Perla and alot of Santurce. I live in Isla Verde and that's a very nice area, with the Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn not being too expensive. You can't go wrong in Condado, Isla Verde, and San Juan. There are even special tourist police to ensure safety. If you want shooping, I'd give Condado and Old San Juan the edge. If you want beach, Isla Verde is your place. Either way, everything is close, and you will not be disappointed.

Comments