606 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Miramar, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 00907, Caribbean

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• edwintamara's Profile Photo

good choice for a short stay

We stayed in Hotel Miramar for one night in July 2010 and we liked it. The room was nice furnished, air conditioned and very clean. There was also a refrigerator and a microwave in the room.
    The location in Miramar district near Old San Juan is perfect if you have a car.
    The hotel has a small gym, a restaurant and a roof deck/solarium. There is a car parking available.
    The receptionist was very friendly and helpful.
    A basic continental breakfast was complementary.

I would recommend this hotel to everybody who comes to visit San Juan for a few days and looks for a smaller hotel rather than for a resort at the beach. We will definitely come back to Hotel Miramar next time.

Tip: we got a better price booking via Expedia that through the website of the hotel.

Unique Quality: Hotel Miramar is confidently located near Old San Juan, the rooms are nice furnished and clean.

• Worst Place To Stay In San Juan

i stayed at a place call miramar hotel..it was horrible the way i see it ..specially when when to check in ..front desk management deal with a guy on training and screaming at him...i dont think that was professional...then the owner of the hotel came and call attention on this two young guys all full of himself...i will never go to a hotel like that no more, not for the price they ask for...hotel dont have parking and I had my glasses stolen when I gave them my keys.managers and owner are not professional and after all i really dont recomended to anyone to come here..honestly. i came in to stay for two nights and had a reservation for a king sized bed with a nice view of the city. what i ended up getting was my room switched to the second floor, where the carpets in the room smelled like dog urine and the toilet couldn't flush. wasn't able to sleep because the noise of the AC and the cars was driving me crazy but i was too scared to go out on my own at night. there is a building right next to it that seemed to be about to fall in pieces, and crazy drunkards and homeless people wandering by. when next morning i suggest to the lady at the front desk if i could be switched to a different room. When I tried to get a different room they just told me"sorry, sir, the hotel is booked". Breakfast could have been better. ended up paying extra charges for telephone calls I never made. please, don't stay here. nothing like they say on the internet.

Unique Quality: 4 parking spaces, no "complimentary Internet", clogging toilets, cold water, sticky carpets, rude people working, no pool

Directions: Next to an old church that's closed and an old closed hotel in ruins

More about Hotel Miramar

Best bargain for your buck!

I visited PR twice in 2005. The first time in May on business, and then in June. On the second visit, I stayed at Hotel Miramar with my girlfriend for 4 days. For all the folks who really hated the Mirimar, I really think it's because they had super high expectations...I mean for the relatively inexpensive hotel fee, it was damn good. If you expect the luxury standards of the Condado hotels, you might not want to stay here. If you're into being pampered, do not stay here. My girlfriend who is PR born hadn't been there since she was a child, and I was exploring PR again for fun this time. We found The Hotel Miramar to be very cozy and the staff to be very friendly.
Yes there were kinks...the parking, a lil busy (but have a car or suffer the consequences: you'll have to brave a highway and lagoon to get to the beach w/out one)
The phone in the room wasn't working but we had our cell phones so that was fine. For hotel staff we used the phone in the hall.
We wanted to vacation as "locals" and seriously we were treated as such. We drove out to Condado where the beaches were glorious even in the midst of hurricane season. (When it rains, it only lasts for like 10 minutes then it's back to sunshine)
Having a car is sound bet...we drove out to many of the local area towns just exits away visiting malls, Old San Juan, and more. We then would head back to Miramar. It was like coming back home. We shopped at the supermarket which was like a block away, ordered food from the restaurant across the street, got nicknacks from the 24hr Walgreens. We washed clothes in the washer. We talked on the terrace as we sipped mixed drinks which we shared with other hotels guests in the evening. The night air was calming and the views serene. It was a fantastic experience.
A hotel is a hotel, but it is how you perceive the experience. We went in with great perceptions and were rewarded in return. Definitely recommended.

What a great experience!

I recently stayed at the Hotel Miramar for a Christmas week trip to Puerto Rico. I read several negative reviews about this hotel before arriving but found that the hotel was an extremely pleasant experience. The number one asset of this quaint hotel is the wonderful service at the front desk. The staff is bilingual (English & Spanish) and is very understanding and kind. Free Internet service is available in the lobby and the rooms are spacious and always impeccably clean. The Miramar district isn't exactly the height of the touristy area, but there is a grocery store and movie theater within walking distance and Viejo San Juan and the most famous San Juan tourist attractions are very close(a 10-15 min. car drive). Parking is limited, but if you leave your keys with the front desk, they will park and move cars for you. The continental breakfast was nice (yummy Danishes) - and the only bad things about my stay were the fact that the in-hotel restaurant was closed for repairs and the single elevator tends to be very slow. All in all though, I was very impressed and would most definitely stay again and recommend to anyone.

Not as Advertized

We needed a hotel for an overnight stay before an early flight. I did a lot of internet searching for a hotel not too far from the airport and not too far from Old San Juan. The Hotel Miramar filled that request. But any other similarity to descriptions posted on the website ended there. Our rooms were tiny with no frig, no microwaves, no desks--there wouldn't have been room for one. I don't know where they got the picture of the common room because it doesn't look anything like the picture. It is small, dark and shabby. The bar and restaurant were not open any of the time we were there. The hotel is located on a very, very busy street and the noise from cars and sirens was deafening. It must be on the Saturday night cruise route for young adults! Totally jammed with constant honking. Not a peaceful place for someone who had to get up at 5:00 AM. However, the staff was great. They were extremely helpful. The rooms were clean if a bit worn out. We would not stay here again but would definitely return to San Juan. It was a fascinating place.

SMALL STEP ABOVE MOTEL 6

by TripAdvisor Member MARINACH

Definitely not the place to book if you are looking for a beach getaway or a clean place to stay. Although located very close to a supermarket and a movie theater, there's not much to do in the immediate vicinity. What's worse is that it didn't feel very safe to walk around the area even during the daylight hours. The only consolation is the rooftop sundeck. It's definitely a small step above a motel room. The rooms were not very clean and the bed sheets were thread bare.

Well, well

I stayed there a few times, mainly because I was once on a low budget and the other times because I knew where it was...

One could compair it with a low-budget Days-Inn. The staff is indeed friendly (but everybody is in PR). It is in a resident area, very lonely at nights. I did not see any restaurants and these beautiful rooms must have been on another floor. It smelled indeed wet, but many hotels do in hot regions.

I always, check the fire excapes and when I did, I found a man eating a chicken in the garbage behind the hotel. The chicken was covered in flies but he did not seem to mind.

I am sorry but just had to mention this. There are much nicer hotels in PR, but nice for the person whom like to feel the locals and discover these things.

Needs improvements in logistics and services

We had a group of 24 people taking a cruise out of San Juan. The day before our arrival we had confirmation papers and confirmation from some employee from the Mirimar that we had reservations. After our group was dropped off at the front desk, we were told that only 4 of the 24 had rooms. The remaining 20 were shipped to a sister hotel were they had trouble setting us up for the night. We did not meet our remaining group of 4 until the next day. Our rooms were less than desireable. We shared one wash cloth and the water stopped periodically during use. The rooms did not smell fresh. Word to the wise, stay with a well named hotel chain.

Will not be a repeat customer!

by TripAdvisor Member yaritina

Having read the reviews on this site I knew not to expect much. But I got less than my lowest expectations. Although the rooms are clean and seem in good repair, we kept running out of hot water. The elevator is estremely slow and you are better off climbing the stairs. There is no swimming pool. I received a call from the Hotel owner demanding more money because we had four people in the room, supposedly there is an additional fee after the first two people. Nothing was mentioned during check in and he called me at 10:30pm. When leaving the room for the day you have to leave the room key with the front desk and request it when you come back.

Nice little hotel with great location

by TripAdvisor Member wadesworld

This was the best deal I have gotten on a hotel in a long time. After doing a lot of searching online about hotels in the area I took a chance with this one and it paid off.

The front desk guy when we checked in was very friendly and helpful. He helped us with parking got us checked in and instructed us to our rooms. After getting settled I went down and he gave me some info about cafe's and convience store in the area. I got info from him how to take the city bus to Old San Juan with where to get off and on round trip. Great customer service from him!

The rooms were comfortable and clean. Better than expected. The hotel is a little old, but they haven't let it get run down. I think it had a lot of charm. Make sure you go up to the roof for excellent views of the city!!

There was only two negatives during my stay. Parking is very minimal at the hotel. This seems to be common with many of the downtown hotels. It was even worse at the hotel I stayed at the first night of my trip (Comfort Inn - I would not recommend). The night shift girl that took over the front desk cared way more about talking on her cell phone than helping customers. After not getting a chance to ask her for any info I just went exploring.

I found there is a movie theatre just a couple blocks down, convience type store, a couple bars and a late night or maybe 24hr cafe. Me being somewhat of an insomniac. I think they were surprised to see a white guy wandering in at 1am... haha! They served me some excellent beans & rice and french fries. If you don't know much spanish pointing works.

Have fun in PR!