La Playa Hotel

CALLE AMAPOLA 6 ISLA VERDE, San Juan, 00979, Caribbean

More about San Juan

Jammin' in the streets (Jan 2011)Jammin' in the streets (Jan 2011)

Mosaic Tile Street Marker - Old San JuanMosaic Tile Street Marker - Old San Juan

Castillo San CristobalCastillo San Cristobal

Pigeon ParkPigeon Park

Day of cruise leaving from San Juan

by Dabs

I've booked myself another cruise that leaves from San Juan in early January, last year we spent the day that the cruise left wandering around Old San Juan and going to the Bacardi factory, this time I'd like to do something more active, snorkeling, kayaking, hiking. El Yunque was something that caught my eye last time that I'm considering. Assuming that the cruise leaves late (I think last time it left around 11pm and we checked in around dinnertime), what are some good options and the best way to arrange them. I'm staying at the Verdanza, Pricelined so it can't be moved.

by Jefie

Hey Kristi! Last year we booked our excursion to El Yunque through our hotel's concierge service. Perhaps it was more expensive than doing it on our own, but we did have a great guide and didn't have to worry about driving around San Juan. I see the Verdanza offers the same kind of booking service if that's something you're interested in?

by Dabs

Thanks for the reply Isa, I don't think I'll have the luxury of being able to book through the concierege since we are arriving quite late on Saturday (11 pm) and want to go on Sunday before the cruise leaves. I have seen a few online that I can prebook. Some of them have the option of all day to El Yunque, did you do a 1/2 day or full day?

by Jefie

We did the full day tour and that's the one I'd recommend, otherwise it's just too short. I think the main difference between the two options is that on the full-day tour they leave you enough time to swim in the waterfalls, which was a neat experience. Not sure which company you've found so far but we were booked with GSI (richard@gsipuertorico.com) and our guide's name was Antonio (he was great).

Travel Tips for San Juan

Luggage storage

by Dabs

Like many people taking a cruise that started and ended in San Juan, I had a period of several hours in between when I disembarked from the cruise and when we needed to be at the airport. The cruise line had a very expensive option to have your baggage sent directly to the airport but as we were only checking one bag, thanks to United having a $20 per bag fee, and carrying on the rest, that option didn't work for us. So we asked at passenger services on the ship and they told us of a place in Old San Juan that had reasonably priced luggage storage, $3 large, $2 medium, $1 small.

We took a taxi to Pier 4 as our ship was docked on the other side of the bay, across the street from Pier 4 in an office/retail building there was a place that had a sign on the window that said luggage storage here, when we inquired he said he didn't have a set price for luggage and that he worked for tips so we gave him the $5 we were expecting to pay.

Verify what time they close when you are leaving luggage, we had to leave San Juan at around 2 pm, he said he usually stayed until 4 or 5pm. And this should be obvious, but don't leave anything valuable, including your passports, in your luggage.

Go horseback riding at the...

by Priddylady

Go horseback riding at the base of El Yunque Rainforest and a tour of the rainforest. Althought we didn't go as far in to the reainforest as we'd hoped it was still a beautiful ride up and back. Flying on the very small eight-seater over to St. Thomas for the day. There was no airconditioning but, none was needed since there were numerous places for air to flow through.

Calles del Viajo San Juan-Streets of Old San Juan

by Gypsystravels

Unfortunately, Old San Juan isn't pedestrian only. Many of the small cobbled stoned streets see heavy traffic and much of the old world charm that is Old San Juan is lost. Nonetheless, wander along the streets and dodge into the great shops and cafes you'll find along these streets.

Re-enactments

by TexasDave

With all the history surrounding you, especially the military forts, it's not surprising to see some history buffs re-enacting 17th and 18th century events. We were fortunate enough to watch a small military brigade march from San Cristobal Fort down to La Rogativa, practicing for a future event. There is no set schedule as of yet, so it's just a chance thing. But it certainly makes history come to life!

a PGA time tested course

by ets

a great escape from the from the cold and drab Winter months of North America. Its green and lush fairways, the scenic water holes and the warm Caribbean breeze blowing in from the sea combine to make your golf game a real challenge. a set of good clubs!

Comments