San Juan Hotels

Our Members Say

• ainsleigh profile photo ainsleigh
  • Reviews: 127

Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde: Quick stay, great swim

We chose this place because it's less than one kilometre to San Juan Airport and we were getting in pretty late. We usually avoid gigantic chain hotels like this but this place had one outstanding feature: it's right on a great stretch of Isla Verde Beach. We had tons of room to ourselves, and we woke up our first morning in Puerto Rico with an awesome swim. We find swimming in the waves to be especially fun and there were some pretty good ones here. The hotel pool is also pretty nice and is open 24 hours so we could cool off as soon as we arrived. Service was pleasant and helpful. I thought once the "Beachfront Tax" was added the price was a bit high but it does seem similar to other chain hotels on the beach. Rooms are clean, comfortable, nicely air-conditioned, they all have private balconies, and some have a view of the ocean.

Right on beautiful Isla Verde Beach.

• Written May 29, 2014

View from the balcony

• cjg1 profile photo cjg1
  • Reviews: 5422

Celebrity Summit: Aquaclass State Room

My wife and I took a cruise out of San Juan in November 2013 aboard the Celebrity Summit. We stayed in an Aquaclass Stateroom; room 9090. Our cruise was seven nights in duration stooping in St. Croix, St. Thomas, Grenada, Dominica and St. Kitts.

We have sailed Celebrity before and found that Summit was a bit of a dissapointment. The ship's layout was just strange and the service was not the best we have seen. The ship went through a refurbishment in the last two years but I can't see where as there were many areas for improvement. The room was standard; nothing to rave about. The balcony is always a nice option.

As Aquaglass guests we did have a few extra perks: dining at Blu, spa quality bath products, complimentary bottles of water that were replenished daily, afternoon tea, flavored water, fresh flowers in the room, upgraded robes, spa slippers and unlimited access to the Spa's Persian Gardens (which were a big dissapointment compared to the Persian Garden on Silhouette).

We did though enjoy several of the dining options available to us such as Blu, Qsine and Normandie. We never ate in the main dining room as we had better options elsewhere. Would I sail Summit again; probably not as there are better Celebrity ships out there.

• Written November 8, 2013

Aquaclass State Room 9090

• asolotraveler profile photo asolotraveler
  • Reviews: 17

The "Palace" Hostel: Nice, Fun Place to Stay

If you are looking for a 5 star Hilton then this is not the place for you. The building is about 100 years old and could use a bit of tender loving care which the two managers, Shannon and Chris are working hard to take care of but with the owner spending his time in Texas, it is a bit of a challenge to get things done, but they are trying. From the outside it is a typical Spanish-looking building. On board are 3 housekeepers: Mordacai who writes poetry, Nick the pilot who is funny as all get out, and Billy who loves to teach you different games to play. Wealth of information these guys and I want to thank each and every one of you who made my stay pleasant. From letting you know about the little store around the corner where you can buy wine and get a sandwich for only 3 bucks, (very tasty). To the cash-n-carry store to buy food or the big grocery store along Ponce de Leon. To which bus to catch to get into "Old" San Juan. Go though the gated doors and immediately you see the narrow outside courtyard that has two tables and four chairs. The floor of the courtyard has as it floor, small rocks. You could walk on them, but I didn’t. After entering make a right and your are in 1 of 2 waiting/seating areas. The reception desk is right in front of you. There is a kitchen with hot-plates, toasteroven, cooking utensils and pots and pans. On this level there is a small bathroom with a shower. Nice dining area. Dorms and double rooms occupy the other space. The 4 bed female dorm that I stayed in was a tad on the small size with all of us in there. Really little floor space to put things, but we managed. There was a place to hangs things on the back of the door. The air-conditioner work, thank the Lord because it was very hot. Most days over 90 degrees. I felt like a moist French fry. On one of the walls in the dining area there are make-shift cubbies that you can store your non-perishables food items in. As you ascend to the 2nd floor you notice that there are cubbies with a front panel that you can secure your belongings. (Bring your own key and lock). Upon going up the few remaining steps you enter the second seating/waiting area with TV, Video equipment. Just to your right is the little outside balcony that amazingly holds a lot of guest even though there are only 4 chairs. Boy howdy did we have good times out there with everyone laughing and telling of their own adventures from all over the world. On this level there is a rather large kitchen where you have your “Free” breakfast of bread, peanut butter, jelly, coffee, tea, oatmeal and hot chocolate. There are no cooking surfaces here so if you want anything hot, you can use the microwave oven. On this floor you will find dorms doubles, singles, two bathrooms (one with a bathtub) laundry room and a nice non-smoking outside area. Overall the place is clean, pleasant and yes they do have memory foam mattresses. They will give you directions to the main grocery story and other places along Juan Pounce De Leon. I plan on staying there again in the very near future. Thanks so much Shannon and Chris, I hope that by the time I get back you will have your own little happy place across the courtyard.
If your looking for a nice, clean place to stay and don't mind the younger crowd, this could be your place. Stores and buses within a short walk.

The 3 different outside seating areas and 2 inside where you can sit and shoot the breeze with other travelers. Laundry facilites if you need to freshen up your clothes. Only cost $5.00 USA for a single Load. Breakfast around 7am each morning if they have not stayed up all night having a ball. Nice neighborhood.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Castles and Palaces, Arts and Culture
  • Written December 28, 2012

Foilage in front of the Main gated Door

• joiwatani profile photo joiwatani
  • Reviews: 1818

El Convento: El Convento

Most hotels charge extra fees for extra guests if you register them (meaning, if they know) - which means that the hotel have to put in extra bed and extra pillow, etc.

I think it also apply to El Convento, which is one of the nicest hotels in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

To ask inquiries about charges of extra guests in the room and other fees, here's their address:

Hotel El Convento

• Written November 2, 2011

• Dabs profile photo Dabs
  • Reviews: 4148

Verdanza Hotel: More Priceline in San Juan

Once again we headed into San Juan a day early before our cruise to avoid any potential weather delays and so that we could see a little more of San Juan. Knowing that we were only going to sleep at the hotel, we used Priceline again and bid 3 1/2 *. It took me a couple of weeks of bidding to finally get a hotel and ended up at the Verdanza in Isla Verde for about 1/2 the price of any other hotel in that category booked direct. At 1st I wasn't thrilled with the location but it ended up being the perfect area to stay in for what we were doing as we didn't have to try to drive in old San Juan or even Condado to get to El Yunque and there was a car rental location within walking distance of the hotel. A taxi from the airport to this hotel was $13 ($10 fixed rate, $1 night charge, $2 for 2 bags)

This hotel wasn't nearly as nice as the Caribe Hilton which we got the prior year for the same price ($90 + taxes), the room was smaller but once again it was just for sleeping. I'm not sure if I would want to stay here for a long period of time. I was a little surprised to get socked with a 10% resort fee of $9 as it didn't seem like it was a resort like I'm used to.

The room, with a king size bed, which was on the ground floor near the pool was on the small side but as all we needed it for was sleeping it wasn't a big deal. The photos on their website aren't very helpful as our room looked nothing like the photo for the cheapest room available. There was a coffee maker, complimentary water, a small refrigerator and a TV in the room.

The bathroom was fine and the shower had hot water with shampoo, lotion and soap provided. There was a hair dryer in the bathroom, not that I needed it in that climate.

We didn't spend a lot of time walking the grounds but there is a pool, jacuzzi and spray park. In the main building there are a few restaurants but there are also lots of restaurants along Isla Verde

• Written January 19, 2011
Tip Photo

• jumpingnorman profile photo jumpingnorman
  • Reviews: 927

Courtyard By Marriott: Close to airport; Beside Isla Verde Beach

We arrived in Puerto Rico today and took the taxi to the hotel because when I called, they said there was no shuttle service (for a Marriott? That was odd). Oh well, we took the cab and in Puerto Rico the airport personnel give you a paper which states how much you are supposed to pay. The taxi driver asked for mine and it said $16 and I saw the sadness in his eyes, and so i said not to worry and I will double it. His face lit up because he said he had been in line for 2 hours!!! The Marriot is very close to the Ritz, in a nice area and beachfront property.

But the hotel was really just less than 10 minutes from the airport - I think I even got a shot of the airport from our 9th floor room. The check -in was at 430PM and ours was stil not ready so we went out to eat first.

The lobby is okay and the valet were not too helpful in carrying our bags, maybe I didn't look like I would give a good tip, hehehe...but the reception was nice and when I returned for the room at 430PM, gthey had lost the copy of my credit card so they asked for it again.

While checking in, I went to the travel agency beside the reception and booked a tour for the rainforest.

I was supposed to get two queens but they had only as kindg bed...okay. Well, the room was huge with a sofa and a patio and a separate window with a great view. Flat panel TV was good because twins like LCD clarity, and the bed was very comfy -- my wife slept while we took a swim at the very nice pool which has a depper 5 ft part by the bar and a 3ft area which was huge and the twins enjoyed swimming in that - perfect for these 5 year olds. No lifeguard on duty.

Nice loud live Latin music at the lobby which was beside the casino which I am going to try later when the twins are asleep...(update: I did go and won $10). The atmosphere is great because you even see kids in strollers by the ice cream bar (Banana). People everywhere (even myself) dancing to the dancing salsa music.

There is also a small fitness room but loaded with equipment.

But the main feature of the hotel is being on the Isla Verde Beach which is rated as one of the best in Puerto Rico - the coveted "Blue Flag" for its distinctive qualities. This is one mile in length and witnh many activities ranging from beach volleyball to water sports.

Isla Verde Beach direct access

• Related to: Casino and Gambling, Luxury Travel, Family Travel
  • Written June 14, 2009

Huge room at Marriot in Puerto Rico

• nyonnetti profile photo nyonnetti
  • Reviews: 116

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hampton Inn Stes San Juan Pr: A great location and nice place to crash!

Nice hotel, very clean. The lobby is very nice as is the pool area. We got a suite and it was very spacious. The staff were very friendly and helpful as we planned out our stay here. They were more than happy to recommend restaurants and to set up tours. The downfall is the rooms are quite pricey. The other downfall we had was we had very noisy neighbors. We slept in the living room area and the walls are paper thin. However, you can't hear the noise as well in the bedroom. We did call and complain and the hotel staff promptly took care of our problem.

The pool bar is very nice and they offer a grill of which the food is quite good and moderately priced.

• Written May 18, 2009

• jandris profile photo jandris
  • Reviews: 26

The Water Club: The Water Club

I read a review that just panned this hotel in every way. This was not my experience. This hotel meets the description "upscale," but not for people who wear white gloves just to find dirt or for people who try to find something to insult the waiter about. I would use the words "flair," "different," "kinda subtly sexy," and "relax in your room." The rooftop attracts with its pool, cafe and great view. Yeah, you do have to WALK across a not-busy rode to access the wide, gently-curved and beautiful beach. Nice fancy restaurant on the second floor, service ok, good food. But for my money, the room was the best. Too bad I didn't snap some pics. It was VERY roomy, just laid out by someone who knew how to make a sexy room if you wanna stay in for a while, y'know.

See above. This is not a cookie-cutter place, if you are bored with the perfect paradise room. It has a "younger" feel to it. Even the elevator shaft has a wierd electric-blue light. Pricey, but glad we went.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Beaches
  • Written February 15, 2008
Tip Photo

We immediately were drawn to the rooftop cafe

• jandris profile photo jandris
  • Reviews: 26

Wyndham Old San Juan Resort: Nice way to start a cruise

I probably would not reserve this hotel myself, but Stephanie picked it out, and we went along. We got in early evening and left for the cruise early the next morning, so we unfortunately didn't get the most from our stay. Nevertheless, we had a fine time here. Steph had arranged for there to be champagne and a chocolate dessert in the room, and that was elegant and fun. Both the evening view of the patio and the morning view of the bay were excellent; we were up high, on the seventh floor I think. The band on the patio was quite loud, but then people were celebrating the holidays.

The fact that the hotel is so close to Old San Juan gave us an excellent opportunity to explore this area in the early evening hours. We found an outdoor restaurant with a patio and lots of people and had a nice dinner. So, location, location, location. But comfort, too.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Cruise
  • Written February 15, 2008

Wyndham from the outside

• nena2997 profile photo nena2997
  • Reviews: 9

El San Juan Hotel and Casino

I lived in Puerto Rico for about a year and I go back every year. If you are looking for a luxury hotel in a great location you should give this one a try. It is a bit on the expensive side but you have to pay for luxury and it is well worth it. Try to get travel deals from some of the more popular travel sites. We payed about $600 for 5 days including air fare. The hotel is beautiful and has everything imaginable. It has 2 huge pools and is beach front. The restaurants are very expensive, but there are so many other restaurants within walking distance it wasn't a problem at all. Give "Los Pinos" a try. It has excellent Puerto Rican food and is very inexpensive. I paid $3.50 for a huge sandwich, rice, beans and a drink. Enjoy!

The views are amazing and the pool is one of the nicest I've seen.

• Related to: Family Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written January 13, 2008

One of the Pools at the El San Juan

• BellaMora profile photo BellaMora
  • Reviews: 129

Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa: Absolute Paradise

I rented a villa on this property on http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/26139.html and it was exquisite! There is the actual hotel and the villas that share the same property as the hotel. There are seven clusters of villas on the same property as the hotel and I rented in Cluster 2. Security is VERY tight. This place had better security than the airport. I would advise renting a car for sure because the area is so remote from San Juan. At the 3 leaving the hotel, if you make a left and drive for 10 miles, you will find Walmart and lots of restaurants in Fajardo. 3miles in that same direction is a nice clean coin operated laundromat directly across from the Esso gas station and Amigo grocery store. The two high rises are your landmark. That is actually Luquillo. This is also the area where Eco Tours and other agencies meet at the marinas for snorkeling trips, fishing, etc. The staff is wonderful at the hotel. There is direct beach access from the Beach Club before you get to the hotel. Right now there is construction in that area and the workers park there but thats the area to get to the beach. There is a pool and the pool bar then a pathway down to the private beach area.

I spent 2 weeks here and this place had everything. The business center is only open until 5pm if you need to fax or make copies. One word of advice. The hotel has free wifi access directly in front of the front desk. So ensure your laptop is configured before you come. Mine was not and I paid the $10 for 1 hour in the business center because it was imperative that I get to a computer. I also went to an internet cafe in Isla Verde which is 30miles away from the resort until I got my laptop configured for the wifi. (turns out, my radio was turned off). But the amenity is there in an emergency. You can receive faxes there as well. There is a very lavish spa and gym on the 2nd floor, the ATC (ATM) is on the main floor, there is a great bar on the main floor and Ded the bartender is very good and nice!
Check out the views in my pictures attached. This was absolutely exquisite. It can be inconvenient however if you need to conduct business in San Juan. It is 25-30 miles away and there is a 1.50 toll each way. The Esso gas station was my favorite because they take credit card at the machine outside like in the states. Not all gas stations in PR do that.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written September 23, 2007

Cluster 2 Villa

• moiraistyx profile photo moiraistyx
  • Reviews: 664

Andalucia Guest House: A HOME AWAY FROM HOME-WELL SORT OF

I absolutely loved staying at this great little guest house. The owners, Esteban and Emeo, have got to be the friendliest and most helpful people on the island. Let me tell you about our room first. I slept so well when I was here that I didn't want to leave. I had a wonderful view of the hot tub from my window. We had a deluxe room which had a small refrigerator and basic cooking and eating supplies (coffee pot, toaster, plates, cups, silver ware). One of the first things you notice is that the rooms are simply decorated but very pretty. Esteban and Emeo even put together a small guide of restaurants they love (this comes in handy). The room was bit on the small side, but hell, I only needed it to sleep in so who cares. I loved the shower in the bathroom. Our hosts were quick to satisfy any request we had from more pillows to extra towels. My one dislike, was that the neighborhood wasn't so great, definately not a place I would walk around in after dark alone. The guest house was about 3 blocks away from the beach, which was perfect for me.

If you need it, they have it. Esteban and Emeo offer guests everything from beach chairs and umbrellas to sea grass mats and coolers. They also have on hand sunblock, aloe, bug spray etc, just in case you run out. There's an outdoor shower to keep all that sand from getting in your room. The outdoor hot tub was a great way to relax and settle down at the end of the day. If you need directions, places to see outside of the ordinary tourist crap or just want to shoot the ***, Esteban and Emeo are more than willing to accomodate you.

• Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel
  • Written August 9, 2007
Tip Photo

• lonestar_philomath profile photo lonestar_philomath
  • Reviews: 573

This one along Calle Mcleary: Apartments

If you are going to spend a period of time on the island, get a rental company to find an apartment. Mine was just one short block from the ocean along Calle Mcleary. I was on the seventh or eight floor. The apartment faced the ocean on one side and the downtown area of San Juan on the other. Air conditioning was not necessary. There was always a breeze blowing through the apartment off the ocean.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Work Abroad, Business Travel
  • Written July 6, 2007

A residence nearby

• windoweb profile photo windoweb
  • Reviews: 354

Cruise Ship: Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas

Michael and I are headed for an 11 night cruise on Empress of the Seas. We start out and end here at San Juan Purerto Rico.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Cruise
  • Written September 16, 2006

Oceanview Stateroom

• allenk_007 profile photo allenk_007
  • Reviews: 28

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wyndham El Conquistador Resort And Golden Door Spa: A Palace of a hotel!

This place must be seen to be believed. And, if the hotel itself is not enough, they have their own private island too. An excellent championship golf course, gorgeous pools, great restaurants and shops. Another of the great hotels in Puerto Rico for celebrity sightings.

This place makes you feel rich even if (like me) you're not!
Beautiful!