Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel And Casino

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Priceline yet again-Condado

I got the Radisson by bidding on Priceline for a 3 1/2* in San Juan less than a week before traveling. A lot of people fly in the day before their cruise as we do, after the storms and cold of last week it's even more evident that this is a good idea. I bid $100, with taxes it was $120. When we booked and when we checked in we were not advised that there was a $12 resort fee but I figured there would be because of previous stays in San Juan. The Radisson is more of a hotel than a resort but it wasn't really worth fighting over.

Condado beach is a block away, there is a rooftop swimming pool. At check in we were given a coupon for a complimentary drink in the bar and another for $10 off at the casino that was just off the lobby. The bar was a small area with a band, a small dance floor and some seats at the bar and more in a little area with a view of the dance floor.

A taxi was $17 plus $1 per bag from the airport and $15 plus $1 per bag to the Pan American cruise port.

The area around the hotel had a lot of restaurants, souvenir shops, liquor stores and a 24 hour Walgreens where we were able to find some bottles of soda to take on the cruise with us.

Unique Quality: We got room 318 with a king bed, the room was spacious, the view of the neighborhood, not the beach. There was an in room safe and coffee service. Free wifi in room, the speed varied but at times it was painfully slow.

The bathroom was fine, toiletries were shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap, everything I needed.

• vabchtraveler's Profile Photo

Pleasant Accomodations

I've stayed twice at the Radisson, some five years apart; the most recent was February 2009. On both occasions, I found the staff very pleasant and helpful. The room was clean and well appointed, (no mold or mildew), the rooftop pool was a great place to lounge and swim, the casino seemed busy but not overly crowded, and there was live music for dancing in the lobby bar area. The location is a short ride from the airport and about a $15 taxi to Old San Juan and the cruise piers. The hotel has an area for luggage storage if you need it pre or post check-in/out. The Condado area has several good restaurants (the staff suggested Yerba Buena and it was wonderful!) and is safe for strolling and shopping daytime and early evening. I would definitely stay at the Radisson again and recommend it to others. I listed it as average price - what I mean is average for a good hotel in a nice part of town, about $120-$135.

Directions: Condado area - near beach and restaurants

• So Awful I left MID Vacation for Another Hotel

This hotel was so horrific, I left it MID-VACATION to stay at another hotel. I have decided the nasty staff, gross rooms and unkempt amenities are all tied for what I hated most about this hotel. I love Puerto Rico-and visit several times a year. I will never go back here. You can get more bang for your buck many other hotels in Condado.
    There was mold in the shower. The hotel boasts a rooftop pool, yet the signs for the pool, rooftop bar and fitness center all boast hours that are incorrect. We were incredibly disappointed to find that upon entering the pool area, the pool was closed and locked off to guests. When we did attempt to enjoy the pool we found the pool bar wasn't open at all. We had to go back down to the casino to get a beverage. When I called for room service I had to make four separate calls to place an order, once placed it arrived almost an hour later. It was cold and one of the two parts of the order was wrong. I had to call five or six different numbers (concierge, room service, front desk, etc) before I got through to someone to tell them that the order was wrong. No apologies were made for messing up my order, when I asked to send it back they said that I should leave it outside. I asked to have something else brought and they said the kitchen was closed and I was out of luck. So there I was, over two hours later, now really hungry but unable to helped whatsoever. I asked for it not to be on my bill. The man at the front desk said no problem. We passed by the executive suites the next day to double check that we had not be charged. The woman working assured us that it had been taken off. Upon check out, we found it had not been taken off.

More about Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel And Casino

Luxury Hotel in San Juan

by no1birdlady about Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel

This is a very nice luxury hotel with water and air conditioning and nice big rooms. After several weeks of dealing with lack of water and air conditioning, it was very welcome. They were having to buy water in large tanker trucks so they asked people to conserve water but the shower sure did feel good. It is located about a block from the ocean. There is a parking garage where you can leave your rental car for the duration of your stay because San Juan is not a place we wanted to drive. When we came int, it was horrible traffic. There are 3 restaurants in the hotel, pools, 3 lounges with live music, a fitness center and huge casino. The casino seemed to be where most of the people were spending their time.

Standard Hotel in decent area

I just stayed at the Radisson Ambassador in Puerto Rico and I wasn't terribly impressed. Everything was just standard for me. The lobby was clean and the employees very helpful. I got upgraded to a suite so I can only speak for the suite rooms. The room was large with a seperate bedroom and living room. It had two tv's and the air conditioning would keep ice cream frozen. I was only there one night and didn't use too many services. They did offer me a free drink in the bar that night and when I went down to claim it, they had a live band performing and the place seemed to be really happening. As for location, it is close to the Marriot and very near the beach. I visited friends staying at the Caribe Hilton and this was a much better location and property. I'm not sure why, but the hotels in Puerto Rico were very expensive (March 2005) and for what I paid for the Radisson Ambassador, I would expect much more. The Radisson is great for the business traveller or someone staying just one or two days.

Would stay again

My husband and I along with another couple stayed in a very large room after a cruise Nov. 14, 2004. We checked in very quickly at 11 a.m. and the room was completely ready. We found the room to be clean, quiet and to contain all the amenities that we needed. The hotel is conveniently located in the Condado Beach area and is very close to a bus stop and that for 25 cents you can take the bus to Old San Juan. Careful here, the bus drivers drive very fast over bumpy roads. On our return to the hotel our bus was hit by a car and my husband flew into the aisle. No one was hurt, but the bus driver didn't bother to ask anyone. The hotel is close to restaurants and coffee shops and a Walgreens which is open 24 hours. There is a bank machine in the lobby if needed as well as the Casino. Would stay at the Radisson Ambassador again and would recommend it to others. We had booked on the internet and had no trouble with the registration on arrival. We received 4 free drink coupons and vouchers for the casino which was an unexpected bonus.

Terrific!

We stayed at the Radisson Ambassador hotel from 02/17/05 - 02/20/05 for a three day pre-cruise vacation. We booked the hotel ourselves through Priceline. The rates for hotels in San Juan for the week we wanted were horrendous but we were able to get a rate from Priceline of $120.00 p/night. Having stayed at many hotels in the past in San Juan, I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The room is update and extremely clean. A beautiful granite (or marble) bathroom and nicely decorated two queen bed room with a balcony was our assigned room. The balcony looked down onto the street where Burger King was located. It stiull provided a decent place to enjoy the sun while having morning coffee or the warm evenings. The pool on the roof was delightful. There were adequate chairs and great views of the area. There was no bar service however. There are two restaurants on the property. One is an upscale Italian place we didn't try. The other is a Cafe atmosphere with good food and coffee as well as a bar. The staff at the hotel were always helpful and smiling, especially the Assistant Manager. There is a decent sized casino with all sorts of slots from penny games to dollar machines. There was not a craps table but there were several Blackjack tables along with a Texas Hold 'Em game table. The machines were not as tight as some we have tried in San Juan. That was confirmed by the high number of locals playing the machines.

As far as dining options, we ate Danny's (breakfast and a dinner), located within two blocks of the hotel as well as Pizzeria Uno located less than two blocks in the opposite direction (located next to the hospital). Next to Uno's there was a Fuddruckers. The Burger King was located on the opposite corner of the street from the hotel. There were numerous additional restaurants in the area with all sorts of different cusines available.

One evening, we took a cab into Old San Juan. ($12.00) We walked around the area and then went to Senor Frogs for drinks and dinner. We also went to the casino at the Sheraton San Juan where it was difficult to find an avaiable machine.

The hotel was located within a block and a half from a beach as well as in the heart of the Condado area. It was a short walk to the Marriott and to the Walgreens drugstore (almost a mini grocery store).

We would definitely look to stay at this location in the future.

This one was great

STayed there in Dec. 2004 and we loved it. The staff was great, although the hot tub was not working it was still a great place to stay. Stayed at the Diamond Palace before the cruise and this was the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. The place was dirty, smelled and had bugs. The personnel were the rudest on earth----NEVER STAY THERE

lunch and dinner.

My husband and I were guests at the hotel, December 26 – December 31, 2004. We loved the location of the hotel; however, were disappointed with the hotel. This hotel shouldn’t rank itself as a four star hotel, maybe a 2 star hotel. Upon checking into our room, we immediately felt that the room was unclean. In addition to that, the toilet seat was broken, several bathroom light fixtures were burned out and later we discovered that the tub drainage system was not working. My husband issued a complaint and the next morning we were escorted to another room. This room was better. In addition to that, we received 2 complimentary tickets for lunch and dinner.

To our dismay, each night, we placed several calls to the Housekeeping department to request facial towels. Housekeeping response was “everyone requests these towels and we don’t have enough”. Now, I would think that a hotel would have ample towels. I rate the housekeeping room skills a C. The hotel overall housekeeping skills is a C-. You all should really do something about the filthy elevator doors and floors. Due to the housekeeping skills, we didn’t dare utilize the complimentary lunch and dinner tickets. Also, the hotel doesn’t have a concierge and provides no tour brochures. We booked our tours through the Marriott. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Strongly disagree with post who checked in on 12/26

I perhaps am among the most difficult person to please when it comes to staying in a hotel away from home...Apparantly, I stayed @ this hotel within the same time frame of the person/s, who checked in on 12/26, and I can not disagree any more with their opinion....I concede that we are all entitled to ones own opinion, however, I feel I should elaborate on mine. Too begin with, I had absolutely no problem with housekeeping, I had ample towels, and the staff, upon my asking in the hallway, allowed me to take virtually anything I wanted off a fully replenished housekeeping cart..yes, bearing in mind, one day my friend put up the 'do not disturb sign' who was ill from an outside restaurant. I saw NO problems with the elevators...and the front desk could not be any more helpful, as a matter of fact, after one night of dancing the night away, we found ourselves @ 4 am without cigarettes and the front desk arranged to have a security employee go off-site and buy us some....That is what I call SERVICE!

by TripAdvisor Member SouthernCalifornia

Okay, I admit that prior to my arrival to this hotel I was a bit concern due previos reviews that I had read, however, how wrong they were. We stayed December 24 - December 31, 2004. We arrived around noon on the 24th. I was exhausted from my long trip from LA with a lay over in Miami. Upon arrival I was told that there were no rooms available until after 3pm. A gentleman by the name of Guillermo was at the front desk. Well he must have seen how tired I was because he offered to upgrade us to a suite in the 8th floor. I was so impress with my prompt check in and with the professionalism and courtesy of Guillermo. Trust me I'm very difficult to impress, but I sure was with the service at check in.

The room was terrific. It had a common area with a small refrigerator and a wet bar. There was also a desk and television. The room had a king size bed and another television. There was a nice size balcony which faced some condos, but if you looked to your left you could see the ocean. The bathroom was a nice size. There was also 2 closest, which is great since I'm not a light traveler. Overall, the room was well above expectations. My only disappointment was with the pool which is located on the roof. The pool was not very clean and there were no clean towels available there. However, this is my only complaint.

The location is terrific. The hotel is right next to major attractions. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and clubs. The beach is also right next door. I loved the fact that I was able to walk to many of the places of interest. The casino was one of the better ones in Puerto Rico. The lobby bar also had lively entertainment every night.

I want to thank the staff of the Radisson for making our vacation special and a special thanks to Guillermo for being a great assistant at check-in ensuring that our stay would be pleasant and satisfying.

hotels

by fedelesm

I was looking at three different hotels. Reading reviews, good and bad about all. Was wondering which one was the best out of La Concha, El San Juan, or SAn Juan Water and Beach hotel. Reading that La Concha's beach is gone. That El San Juan hotel rooms are dirty but has great pool and Beach. Also what area is the best for bar and restaurants in walking distance.

Re: hotels

by Donna_in_India

Hi - it's been quite a while since I stayed at the El San Juan but we recently stayed at the Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel & Casino in Old San Juan. The hotel itself is really nice and it is within a few minutes walk of "restaurant row". Easy walking access to Old San Juan bars, restaurants, attractions/sights.

Comments