27 Calle Benitez Castano, , Puerto Rico, 00765, Caribbean

• Great Place

Enid is great. Rent a Jeep (or 4WD) for a couple of days. DO NOT EVER leave anything in your car that you want. Leave the car unlocked at all times. You will enjoy driving on the more unpopulate parts of the island. Watch our for horses and cows. Everyone was very nice and very polite when we tried to speak Spanish. Do the Biobay tour. Blue Caribe was good, I hear others are too.

Unique Quality: We enjoyed our stay over my wifes birthday, Enid baked a cake for her. The room was clean. I had no problems with the guesthouse. It is walking distance from the ferry even with baggage. It was like staying at a friends house. A friend who had other stuff to do than hang out with your lame visiting ass! Food was ok, not great. We went to the deli/bakery about 5 blocks from the inn (past the square) and got a ham, egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast and a different sandwich for lunch. We put it in the fridge at C de E and ate it for lunch later.
    DO NOT EVER leave anything in your car that you want. Leave the car unlocked at all times. There is not any violent crime to speak of on the island, but pett theft is big. This is a poor island.

Directions: Turn left on the first street from the ferry, on the second block.

More about Casa de Amistad

Wonderful Surprise

Casa de Amistad actually exceeded our high expectations.
Owners Dan and Owen have thought of everything these two burned-out New Yorkers needed recharge. They had wine in the kitchen, coffee in the morning, coolers and beach chairs all included. I was able to keep up with email from our spotless suite through high-speed WiFi and my girlfriend could keep an eye on the Desperate Housewives via satellite TV. Great restaurants are a short walk away and, of course, Vieques' gorgeous, and nearly empty , beaches are a short drive. I've already talked to my son about having him and his finance join us at Casa de Amistad next winter.

Just like Home

We absolutely loved the place! Super clean! Towels and sheets were real comfy. Chairs and coolers for the beach.Nothing can beat that courtyard area in the morning, Sooo relaxing and tranquil.Delicious fresh coffee, lovely artwork everywhere. Prime location in town. Mamasonga's in the morning a must!The only thing was there is no insulation around the doors, so you really hear everything. Luckily, while we were there it was a relatively quiet bunch of people. But it certainly wouldn't deter us from staying there again. Who wants to sleep anyway when there are so many beautiful things to experience.

Stayed at the new house managed by Amistad.

by TripAdvisor Member 3po

We stayed at the new house, Casa Santiago, managed by the same owner of Amistad in Feb 2006. It was such a beatiful house, with three bed rooms, kitchen, washer and dryer, and a screened porch. The owner even provided large bach towels for the guest.

In addition, the owner, Owen, was very helpful in providing information on car rentals and Biobay tours.

Thank you Owen for the wonderful accomodation and great memories of Vieques.

We Loved Casa de Amistad

by TripAdvisor Member leatherhelmet

We felt more than comfortable at Casa de Amistad. Owen is a wonderful host. The rooms were meticulously clean.

Although this accomodation is not a 5-star hotel, it's a wonderful place that offers much more than the budget price might suggest. It's a very short walk to a great bar (Al's) and is in proximity to a number of great restaurants in Isabel Segunda.

Casa de Amistad is such a great place, we have plugged it to our family. As for us, we'd go back tomorrow if possible.

hmmm. i think you can do better

by TripAdvisor Member gbeaton78

I won't go in to details but our stay here was less than perfect. The house is cute. The rooms are cute and clean too...chock full of ikea furniture. The location of the house is not so good. Very close to the ferry, but very very noisy town streets. I was witness to a rather deafening domestic dispute right next door. The youngsters love to drive around with their car stereos SUPER loud...at 5am. The roosters are loud too but they were kind of charming. The beaches are on the other side of the island so a car is a MUST. I wish that the management of the place had been more available. Isa, the house pooch was the friendliest resident. It seemed that we and the other guests were a bit of an interruption in the owner's very active social life. There were several situations that urgently needed his attention (the house lost power and only he knew how to restore it- another guest tried calling his cel twice with no response all night) but he was busy drinking with friends across town or so hung over he couldn't get out of bed. I've stayed on Vieques before and unfortunately this was the worst accomodations I've experienced. It is budget but like I said before, I think you can do better. If you want budget, stay at one of the ones in Esperanza, at least then you have the beach across the street.

A Gem

by TripAdvisor Member bflspeck

This place is a gem. You simply can not do better for the money -- friendly, attentive management, nicely appointed rooms, a beautiful garden, great pool, and centrally located in the heart of Isabella II. Some people prefer to stay in the more touristy town of Esperanza, but I find it too noisy, especially on salsa or kareoke nights. Even though I could afford to stay at one of the more expensive places, I wouldn't stay anywhere else on Vieques, and I go there often.

this is our favorite guest house on the planet

We three, myself, my honey, and my sister stayed for five lovely nights with Owen at this guest house a few weeks ago. It is so sweet! Lovely ambiance, a most hospitable host, sweet courtyard complete with a pool and fruit bats at night, eating the nearby papayas. Vieques is the land of the 4am rooster, but we slept soundly in the white noise of our air-conditioned room. Owen is the perfect host--he makes coffee in the morning, gives great restaurant advice, and gives you enough space to feel really at home. We dream of our next stay.

Wonderful place to relax!

Staying at Casa de Amistad was a wonderful experience. Owen and Dan are amazing hosts that had great recommendations for beaches, restaurants, and anything else we may have asked them. The courtyard and pool was a wonderful escape. We will stay at Casa de Amistad again.

Good Place, Good Value, Good Location

by TripAdvisor Member Stepstar

My wife and I were in Vieques for 8 days in March 2006: two tired, stressed out, jaded New Yorkers arrived at Casa de Amistad and were eventually turned into waterlogged, laid back, gergarious islanders. In a nutshell, Casa de Amistad is a delightful and thoroughly affordable place to stay and Vieques' waters and beaches are very good indeed (we're snorkelers).

In the middle of a little town, the guesthouse is its own little world with a rooftop sun deck and very private planted courtyard and a small fresh water swimming pool. The rooms are small but the place is very clean and well cared for and the owner, Owen, couldn't have been more helpful. He lends beach gear and snorkeling equipment (if you don't have your own) and draws you maps of best places to go. The place is run sort of barefoot bohemian with guests having full access to a working kitchen and refrig, etc - great for planning lunches on the many beaches (be sure to rent a jeep to get to the best beaches). We checked out a number of other digs on the island. Casa de Amistad is one of the good ones.

Be advised that downtown Isabel has its advantages and disadvantages. There are a number of very decent restaurants within walking distance and one great bar with a spectacular view but many streets are currently ripped up for repairs this Spring. We still highly rec staying at Casa de Amistad and hope to vist there again soon.

Comments