Hacienda Tamarindo

Box 1569, 00765, Caribbean

More about Hacienda Tamarindo

Laid-Back Gem

I was a little bit leery about how the Hacienda would be after reading some of these reviews -- some people loved it, and others (mainly New Yorkers) seemed very critical.
My girlfriend and I just got back from a vacation in Vieques and it was absolutely fantastic. The Hacienda Tamarindo certainly exceeded our expectations -- while it certainly was not ultra-luxurious, it was clean, charming and well located near the Esperanza where there is some simple dining and drinks. Renting a car on the island is an absolute MUST, and Alta made all the arrangements for us. Breakfast was very simple but delicious, with excellent service. The rooms included beach chairs and towels to take with you which was very helpful. Service in general was friendly and prompt. And the views from the rooms looking over the ocean were spectacular.
If you are looking for pampering and lavish service, pool boys with white uniforms and valets to buff your shoes -- don't come here. In fact, don't come to Vieques at all. But if you want a charming, quirky, wonderfully situated inn from which to explore this jewel of an island, Tamarindo is a terrific choice.

Just like home...

by TripAdvisor Member iramcynyc

We had a wonderful time at the Hacienda Tamarindo!
I really feel like I need to address some of the negative comments written in other reviews.
Firstly, it is true that the hotel is not even remotely close to walking distance to a beach, but we knew that before we arrived, and therefore we had the Hacienda book a car for us. Upon our arrival, our car was already there, and once we were given a map of the island, it was extremely easy to get around the island and explore the different beaches (some of which are amazing). As for the views from the Hacienda - they are spectacular, and it is great to sit out by the pool or on one of the many verandas gazing out at the sea and stars. It was especially nice to come back to the cool, calm and quiet hacienda after a day at the beach.
As for personal attention - the Hacienda is not a place where you have people waiting on your beck and call. In fact it is more like being at a friend's house. They have a fully stocked bar including non-alcoholic drinks, yogurt, ice cream, and snacks, and they use what they call 'the honor system' where you can take whatever you like, whenever you like (there is no bartender) as long as you write down what you took in their little 'log.' They give you coolers, ice and beach towels, and off you can go to explore at your own pace. We preferred this atmosphere to one of a hotel where you have to deal with staff at every corner, because the Hacienda feels much more private and home-like. The ladies that made us breakfast every day were lovely - they were warm and joked with us, and made a huge, delicious breakfast every morning.
The hacienda itself is beautiful, full of flowers, plants, vintage decor and even a friendly dog and a talkative parrot. It is a very romantic place for couples, and a warm place for a group of friends. I highly recommend it!

Whimsical, homey,great staff

by TripAdvisor Member golfhead

Get to Vieques before it's too late......Hacienda was like a private home...small, very casual, good breakfast, honor bar.....bad rental cars, but you can't have everything. Ours quit at a remote beach....fortunately my husband figured out what was wrong. I gather the $165 we paid last week might be high for the island and the hotel is on a hill overlooking the ocean, so go elsewhere for a beach. Esperanza restaurants are pretty good....the "strip" of 5 or so is very atmospheric. Vieques is where to go if you want to drop out and write your novel. The inn is building villas around it at something like $450,000 so the chic set is coming....as well they should....it's what you want the Carribbean to be instead of tacky shops and high rises. I don't want to oversell it because it demands self sufficiancy.....beachcombing, books and vegging by the pool....but I loved, loved, loved it.

Loved Hacienda Tamarindo

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to sit back , relax and enjoy the peace and slitude that we discovered at the Tamarindo.We stayed in a suite since we were traveling with my mom. she had a comfortable trundle bed to sleep on. the breakfasts were awesome!!! I highly recommend renting a car and don't be upset with the peice of junk jeep that you may get, it ran and got us around the island. the beaches are beautiful. We ate dinner at the Crow's Nest and also went there for a happy hour. Had a great time, can't wait to return to this island paradise!!

Major Fans of the Hacienda Tamarindo

We have stayed at Hacienda Tamarindo three times -- mostly for long weekends. We really love the relaxed authentic feel of this intimate hotel. There are very few places that have such a special feel.

The views and location are great. The pool is perfect for a few laps on travel days. And we have been so welcomed by owners Linda and Burr. We highly recommend the hotel. They have created a beautiful retreat.

Planning to return very soon.

Beautiful Island, Ok Motel

We stayed at the Hacienda for 3 days during our spring break. We selected it from our guidebook. The staff was helpful with the reservation process via email before we arrived. We loved visiting Vieques and found the beaches to be very nice, we especially enjoyed "Blue Beach" the most. The only problem we had was a slight misunderstanding with the return of our rental jeep. Since we picked up the car at the Hacienda we thought that we would just leave it there when checking out. In fact, one of the clerks even helped us to reserve a taxi to take us to the airport. Well, when checking out another clerk made us feel a little stupid for not understanding that we couldn't leave the car there. We ended up leaving the car there and everthing was fine but for awhile it was kind of like having your Mom yell at you. So anyway, make sure you return the car to the airport yourself! Our room was ok, perhaps a little overpriced but we had a good visit. Didn't like the bathroom door, not much privacy with the slats! Never saw the owner so can't comment on his attitude/behavior as others have. We recommend "Bananas" for drinks and food. If we return to Vieques we may stay at the Hacienda again but will probably check out a couple of other places just to compare.

Beautiful, friendly place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member GingerGrouse

Just got back from a Thanksgiving break in PR. Hacienda Tamarindo is a beautiful old house with about 10 rooms. Gorgeous views of the water. A bit pricey at $170/night but a very comfortable, homey atmosphere.

$15 BOWL OF CEREAL

by TripAdvisor Member leeMorrisIllinois

We spent one week on this beautiful island. One morning we decided to try the HACIENDA TAMARINDO for breakfast. We discovered the menu had no prices. After asking the server if we could eat if we were not guests at the hotel. She explained that we were welcome to eat there. She explained that we would have to go to the front desk and pay Burr (whom I find out is the owner Burr Vail). I tell Burr I would like to pay my bill and start to tell him what we had for breakfast all I got out was two eggs when he cut me off and said it would be $15 per person no matter what we had. My wife had a bowl of raisin bran and I had two poached eggs and juice. Can you imagine my shock $15 for a bowl of cereal and $15 for two eggs. If you want good food I suggest TRADE WINDS and THE INN ON THE BLUE HORIZON.

Not for people who like "chain" hotels or walk out your door to the beach

I stayed at Haciendo Tamarindo for a week around New Years 2005. It was my first trip to Vieques and it was superb. I have travelled extensively in the Carribbean and for "holiday season" the price and service were top notch. No children or roosters waking you up, a relaxed friendly staff, a honor bar for a sip at any hour and beautiful views of the sea. There are several great restaurants for an island of this size. I especially liked Trade Winds, Crows Nest and the food, but not the vibe at Media Luna. Be sure and make reservations, as not every place is open on certain nights. The beaches are incredible; clean, beautiful sand and water and secluded. You could go to a different beach everyday for two weeks. Vieques and Haciendo Tamarindo are not for people who like "packaged" vacations. It is the real Carribbean and I hope it stays that way. Rent a jeep to get to the best beaches. It is a bumpy ride but fun. I already have reservations to return in March. Joey is the best concierge ever.

Comments