3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Oualie Bay
Oualie Beach Resort
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 91% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Oualie Beach Hotel (Oualie Bay.)

The Jewish CemeteryThe Jewish Cemetery

Wedding in Nevis

by SharonLowe

Hi, I am interested in getting married in Nevis in June 2006. Can anyone suggest a good wedding planner and a nice place that can accommodate at least 20 persons. I am also interested in a romantic place for my fiancee and I to stay as we do not want to stay with our guests.

Thanks.

by 1smartblonde

I just visited in August. We stayed in a very private villa next to Nesbit Plantation Inn completely surrounded by gardens. See villa photos: http://www.a1vacations.com/coralreefnevis/1/
It is my understanding that Nesbit offers planning for weddings at their Inn. Nesbit Beach and the facilities looked beautiful. Unfortunately for us it was closed for the month of August and September for some remodeling/upkeep work. But this very accessible from the airport(approx: a mile) and is located off the part of the main road that is completed. Many of the other Plantation Inns are a good 20 -30 minute drive from the airport, up in the hills, on very poor roads.

Wedding in Nevis

by Liz_Pereira

Nevis is an excellent choice for a wedding. Breathtaking views, and friendly/helpful locals.

Visit www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com for more information on a wedding coordinator and places to stay.

Your guests might enjoy Mont Nevis, Old Manor or Oaulie Beach - depending on their budget. For you and your fiance, I highly recommend Montpelier. Very romantic, gourmet meals, and excellent service.

by Rachel_Sonoma

Have a look at this page, maybe this will offer some guidance.

Don't blame you for wanting to be without your guests LOL, does sort put a damper on the romantic aspect of the honeymoon.

Good luck, Rachel

by lizpereira

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

An excellent wedding planner is Judy Titley at Tropical Bliss. www.tropicalblissnevis.com

Depending on your guests budget there are lots of excellent properties you guests to stay at. Oualie Beach Resort is very popular.

Visit www.nevisisland.com

A romantic place for you and your fiance is Montpelier Plantation Inn or Nisbett Plantation.

A website you might find helpful is www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com

Travel Tips for Nevis

Breakfast Scenery

by grandmaR

When we came up the island chain from the south, we passed Nevis and that was as close as I got to it. We ate breakfast on the island side of the ship, and watched the scenery go by as we ate.

Unfortunately, the windows were encrusted with salt, so it was hard to take pictures.

Definitive Packing List

by Abeyna

yes.. bring them loose, light clothing. It is generally hot all year round (cooler around Christmas)
Shoes should be sandals or equivalent.. don't bother with socks
Bikinis for the beach
Jackets and jumpers are virtually unheard of All the usual travelling stuff you would bring, but anything you would need is readily available in chemists / shops here.
Mosquito repellent.. best to buy the brands they sell here.. find them more effective. they are particularly prevalent at night, so ensure your accomodation has either AC or mosquito nets. Get yourself sprayed up before it hits 6pm! Camera to record all your footsteps! Plenty of opportunity to windsurf, scuba dive etc. I had a problem trying to find snorkelling goggles.. cheap ones, so I advise you buy them before you arrive.

Nevis - The Queen of the Caribbean

by MikeAtSea

The Narrows, a scant two-mile-wide strait, separates St. Kitts and Nevis. The sisters were probably once a single land mass, but time, erosion and rising sea levels have separated them. St. Kitts is by far the larger of the two and is an enticing place filled with velvety green mountains, broad sugarcane fields, and fringed by inviting beaches. Nevis Peakis lower, but the island has similar features and it is a little easier to navigate. Also a place of verdant hills, its tiny secluded coves and inlets feature pink sand beaches – the color comes from the coral compo-nents.
Columbus discovered both islands during his second voyage in 1493. Carib tribes were already living inthe islands, so the European fleet, seen as an invasion force, did not exactly get a favorable welcome. To the Caribs, the island was Liamuiga (the fertile place), a reference to the rich volcanic soil that nurtures sustained bountiful harvests. The name has been adopted for St. Kitts’ central volcano, also known as Mount Misery. The crater towers more than 3,750 feet above the island.
British communities sprang up on Nevis, Barbuda, Tortuga, Antigua, and Montserrat as French settlers claimed Martinique and Guadeloupe. Tobacco farmer Anthony Hilton led one colonial expedition to Nevis where he hoped to establish a plantation. Unfortunately, John Smith’s Jamestown (Virginia) colony was already out-producing Caribbean farms, and the industry fell on hard times. Later, a large contingent of Sephardic Jews migrated from Brazil, and sugar refining and growing methods were introduced. Soon, the island had a thriving sugar industry, andwas known as “Queen of the Caribbees.” Pirates heard about the valuable cargo, and raids were common place. Nevis’ fortunes began to falter. By the mid-17th century, occasional factional hostilities erupted into intermittent warfare.
Today Nevis is a vibrant island with African charm and friendly warm people. Beautiful beaches with rainforests, diving and water sport make it one of the less travelled of the Caribbean islands - but a jewel it is!

Nuestra Señora de las Nieves

by jorgejuansanchez

Spanish discoverers named the island Nuestra Señora de las Nieves, because they seemed to observe snow (nieves means snow in Spanish) on the top of the main mountain of the island, actually a dead volcano, when they saw clouds. But English pirates deformed the name Nieves by Nevis. I had to fly to get there, from Kingstown, in St Vincent, although I always prefer taking boats between islands. But there was not boat service between those islands. I was finishing an eighty days around the world journey and had left in my pockets only a few dollars, plus an electronic ticket Antigua – Frankfurt, that I had bought by Internet very cheap, with Condor Airways, for a few days later, that I would pay back in my country. I was the only passenger in the plane; the rest of the passengers would continue to Basseterre, in St. Kitts.
In Immigration they asked me for the name of the hotel where I was supposed to spend the night. I asked the agent which one he could suggest me, since I had no bookings. And he recommended me Four Seasons Hotel. Then I wrote in de immigration form: Hotel Four Seasons. I was given one month stay.
Outside, the airport was almost empty; that was the last flight of the night. A taxi driver, the only one, came to me and asked me the hotel where I will stay. I said to him that I was going to sleep on the beach, as usual, and that I would walk until the main town, called Charlestown. I added that I was not a rich tourist, but a traveller on a budget.
He replied: - How? There are ten miles from here to Charlestown! And it is already dark!
I felt pity for him. Had I been a rich tourist I would have paid him the ride, even if I would have preferred to walk, because I learnt that he came especially to pick me up when he was told that a passenger was coming from St Vincent.
I started to walk. After three hours or so I found a shop and cafeteria open. It was about midnight. I bought some bananas and asked permission to eat them in the tables. The owner, a black woman, seeing the avidity with which I was eating the bananas (it was my only meal of the day), brought me for free an enormous cup of half a litre capacity containing delicious coffee with milk. She advised me to be careful in Charlestown because they are many young rastafaris who rob people to buy marihuana. But I did not pay attention to that, since in my small bag, weighing 3 kilos, I only carried some clothes, toilet items plus a notebook. One hour later I saw the silhouette of a beautiful church facing the sea. I said to me: oh! I found the suitable place to sleep! But when I went closer I saw a cemetery with many graves and resolved not to disturb the souls. I reached Charlestown half an hour later, and slept in the first park that I found, near to Alexander Hamilton’s birthplace. There were many mosquitoes. Early in the morning I walked back to the church that had impressed me the previous night. It was called St Thomas, and a sign said that it was the first Anglican Church erected in the Caribbean Sea. During the day it did not seemed to me so beautiful like in the night. There were many monkeys and lambs walking around the graves with total impunity. I spent the rest of the day visiting places getting to know many local people, and making a trekking to the dead volcano. In the late afternoon I took the boat Mark Twain to Basseterre.

"Welcome to Nevis"

This is the entrance to the island from the port.

Comments