Pinneys Beach

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Four Seasons Nevis

Felt like royalty at the Four Seasons Nevis

by TripAdvisor Member Jen3

My husband and I just returned 2 days ago from vacation at the Four Seasons Nevis. It was terrific. I apologize that this will be a bit wordy but I'm trying to include all of the things I wondered about when reading reviews before my trip.

We flew from Fort Lauderdale to Puerto Rico and then connected to St. Kitts. (American Airlines) Both flights were on time and uneventful. Arrived in St. Kitts and were immediately met by Four Seasons staff. We took a short air conditioned van ride to the ferry dock. We boarded a ferry to the resort minutes after landing. We were given rum punch on the ferry over and the staff pointed out interest points on the 45 minute ride. The scenery was beautiful. You could ride on top open air or down in the cabin which was climate controlled.

We arrived at Four Seasons by2 p.m. and were escorted directly to our rooms. The reservationist asked me on the phone if we were celebrating anything special and I said jokingly, "Not really, unless you include a very early anniversery 6 months from now :) " When we arrived in our room, there was a hand written -Happy "Early" anniversary note with champagne and chocolates.

We stayed on the ground floor of the Morning Star building. We had a terrific ocean view from our patio and had breakfast there most mornings. Sometimes in the evenings the sand nats were bad but I still wouldn't trade the open view (no screen) and being able to walk right out on to the beach. There was also a great hammock just steps from our patio.

We were on the spa and sports package which includes breakfast and dinner, golf, tennis and 5 spa treatments. For the price, you couldn't beat it. We also added the lunch plan to our package for an extra $20 pp per day. That was very wise if you plan to eat lunch at the four seasons. Our lunch bill was always between $70 and $80 each day but with the plan we only paid $40 together. Of couse, we each had salad, appetizer, entree and dessert each day. Yes, we both gained too much weight. :) Dinner was great but also very expensive($200 per night without the wine) but the package made it worthwhile. If we had paid for all of our food bills, golf, spa and room separately, we would have spent a tremendous amount more!!

I thought the lobster entrees were excellent, the fillet was great too. There is Lobster on the lunch and dinner menu every day and come to think of it breakfast as well. For dessert, try the chocolate souffle with chocolate sauce. The breakfast buffet was awesome. The banana fritters were the best and room service was also good and always on time. They even bring a toaster and make your toast right in your room so it stays crisp. The seafood buffet is once a week and was delicious. Raw bar, grilled lobster and steak, salads, veggies and a large dessert station. Overall the food was great though we only ate at the italian restaurant one time, we weren't all that impressed. Stick with the Dining Room for dinner or the special seafood buffet when offered.

Enough about the food! My husband played golf and tennis and he said it was great! I went with him to drive the cart one day about 4 in the afternoon and saw a bunch of green monkeys playing on the 15th hole. The golf course was breathtaking and I live in Florida and see golf courses all of the time that are no match for the beauty of this course.

The spa was also wonderful. I had a beachside massage which was nice but a little warm and I couldn't quite relax outside. I also did 2 aroma massages. Nikata was very good. I had two other therapists but I liked her the best. I did the Four Seasons signature treatment which I had to pay extra for as it was longer than a 50 minute treatment but I think the massages were just as good honestly. There was a great inside and outside lounge area with fresh fruit and citrus water. A great steam room too.

The service is perhaps the one thing you would be hard pressed to replicate anywhere else in the world. We have traveled to very nice places, many 5 star as well, in the Carribean, New York, California and Europe and have never stayed at a place with service so personal and good. By the end of the first day, they called us by name, remembered our preferences. One server said, "Would you like the same dessert you ordered yesterday that you liked so well?" It was amazing. When we called for anything, to book a tour, make a reservation...it was done immediately with a written confirmation before days end on our bed.

The housekeeping service was meticulous (twice a day) I'm sort of a messy person and usually leave things strewn all over the bathroom counter. They always organized my shampoo, toothbrush, make up etc... neatly on a folded towel. It even started rubbing off on me.

The tours were great. We did the Source Hike with Linnelle. We also did the snorkel/catamaran half day trip with Lennox....both worthwhile. If you're a tennis player, one of the staff named Kelvin is a good player and played with my husband several times. I think he works at the pool cabana restaurant.
We also did an island tour and saw most of the plantations. Some were very nice and the Nisbet more than nice but we left the tour knowing that we'd made the right choice with Four Seasons.

If you spend any time in St. Kitts ( we spent one night there at the Marriott before flying out at the end of our trip) the Island Spice is a nice restaurant for local cuisine.

As for some of the negative complaints on this site. There were some children there but we never really noticed them. We did not see them in the quiet pool nor did we feel that the resort was over run with children.

We did not have the musty smell in our room that some have mentioned but I will say that our room got very cold sometimes even when we turned it to the warmest setting and we had to turn our air off for awhile. The rooms were very very clean, decorated nicely and the bathroom spacious and beautiful with marble and granite.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions. I'll be happy to help if I can. I hope this has been helpful!

Thanks, Jeannine

Terrific Service and Beautiful Place

by TripAdvisor Member DJR8500

Just returned from five nights at the Four Seasons, Nevis. I was there with my two children ages, 16 and 18. Great place, beautiful room, (we were in the least expensive Mountain side rooms. It was more than adequate). The service was incomparable. For example, the pool attendant addressed me by name wherever she saw me on the property. Excellent food. We opted out of the Modified American Plan but ate our meals on the property. It is a wonderful setting and for this trip we received great value for the price. My kids enjoyed the tennis courts and I thought the spa and the Sports Center were excellent.

Incredible resort and island in every way

by TripAdvisor Member rounsley

I just returned from a week at the Four Seasons
Nevis(7/7 - 7/14) with my husband and our two children ages 3 and 6. The resort is imaculate and the service was amazing. I have been all over the
Caribbean and this is the nicest place I have
ever stayed. My children loved the day care
facility and the ladies that worked there were
wonderful. Everyone that works at the resort is
smiling and happy and ready to serve you. Not
only are the rooms beautiful but even the
bathroom by the pool is gorgeous pink marble
with fresh orchids every day. If you are traveling
with children be aware when you make your res
that there is a pull out sofa bed in the rooms. If
I had know this I would have booked a king instead
of two doubles. When we arrived we were assigned
a upper level room over the family pool. Even though we were traveling with children we preferred more privacy so we moved to a lower
level room down by Sunshines which opened
up to a pristine grass area, then the beach and tall
swaying palm trees. Incredible! Take the catamaran snorkeling to St. Kitts, great trip and worth the money. Walking through this property
is like walking through a botanical garden. The
island is lush and tropical because the mountain
creates the clouds and weather. It's gorgeous!
The only down side: very expensive once you get
there. We got around this by eating a late breakfast
which was included with our package, skipping lunch and splitting entres at dinner.
Great vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A beautiful experience

My wife and I just returned from our Nevis experience, and found the Four Seasons outstanding in every way. The weather was fine, the people friendly, and the service/accomodations were typical of any Four Seasons resort. I highly recommend this property.

Outstanding Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Jackgam

Just returned from a wonderful stay at this magnificent property. We were there off-season, but the resort was heavily booked, and even so it did not feel the least bit crowded.

We have traveled fairly extensively in the Caribbean, and this property is as good as any we've been to. Pinney's beach is wide and long, and there are two different areas where beach chairs are arranged so there is a lot of capacity. The resort is also very well designed. The two main restaurants (a formal dining room and a less formal grill room) are in the center of the resort, along with the Quiet Pool, the Cabana Restaurant, and the Ocean Pool (for family fun). The rooms then flank out from the center in each direction away from the pools and overlook the beaches. The housing units are two floors, and the second floor is true ocean view. We have been to resorts where you have to look far out over the pool (often noisy) and tilt your head to get the ocean view, but here most rooms have very good, close views of the sea. The rooms on the second floor (where we stayed) probably have better views of the ocean, but on the ground floor you can walk right out onto the beach. The rooms themsevles are fairly large, and quite comfortable.

We were traveling with our three-year old son and when we saw how nice the Quiet Pool was, our hearts kind of sank thinking that the Ocean Pool would be tucked behind the property away from the Ocean. Not so. The Ocean Pool is every bit as nice as the the Quiet Pool, so honeymooners and families can both enjoy the beauty of the island. Both pools are right on the beach, have irregular shapes that meander through palm trees and have infinity edges. Spectacular.

As a family, we appreciated the good babysitting services and the Kids Camp. The staff at the camp could have been more inviting to children who, like ours, are a bit shy in a new environment at first. But by the end of the week our son loved it there. It is an indoor facility with games, a ball pit, a pirate ship and more -- and there are trips outside to catch lizards and visit the playground.

The food at the restaurants is very good, but overpriced. We found the service to be outstanding overall. There was always a server to take a drink order, or to set up beach chairs.

There is also a lot to do at the resort. There is a very challenging golf course, tennis courts, and instruction available for golf and tennis, as well as resort scuba courses.

In all, we had a wonderful time and will definitely go back -- whether as a couple or with the kids. The resort really strikes a great balance between catering to families, yet providing places where adults can enjoy a more peaceful environment.

The Four Seasons is Wonderful

I just returned last night from an absolutely fabulous week at the Four Seasons. My wife and I had some concerns about our choice based on some of the reviews on this site but found all of the complaints to be undeserved. We traveled from Baltimore to Puerto Rico and then hopped on a 50 minute flight to St. Kitts where we were greeted by name by the wonderful four seasosns personell at the airport. We never touched a piece of luggage as we were whisked onto their van and then onto the launch to Nevis. We were shown to our room which although not luxorious by 4 seasons standards, we felt was quite nice compared to othere carribean upscale resorts we have stayed including: Little Dix Bay, Caneel Bay, Dorado Beach. The bathroom was quite nice and the room was spacious and kept meticulously by the twice a day housekeeping. I would definitely reccomend a second floor room so that you can take advantage of the screened in porch which is lovely. The food at the buffet is adequate while the Italian restaurant and the main dining room provide excellent cuisine. We had breakfast and dinner included in our package and felt like it made sense. Nothing is inexpensive here at the four seasons and I was happy to have paid for all of my golf, food, and spa services as part of a package. The pools are nice and the beach although not the prettiest beach in the carribean was far nicer than expected. We had very little wind while we were there and the ocean water was perfect. The sand in the water is a little bit rocky and could be softer. The golf course has some of the most beautiful views of any I have played and is actually quite a good test of golf. It is not overly long, 6700 yards from the tips, but is narrow and penalizes wayward shots. I played every day and loved each and every round. The final and most important part of this review, and the defining characteristic of the resort for me is the staff. There must be 10 hotel employees for every guest and each and every one of them treats you as if you are the most important guest they have ever had. You are greeted by name constantly and everyone wants to know how they can make your stay more enjoyable. It is obvious that the people from Nevis are proud of their island, and they clearly enjoy sharing it with the guests of the four seasons. This is the first resort in the carribean my wife and I look forward to returning to.

The "Non-Tourist-Trap" Guide To Nevis, West Indies

by Nevis1

"Introduction To Nevis"

I have been writing about Nevis for almost seven years now, and while many things in Nevis have changed , it still is the most beautiful island (in my opinion) in the Caribbean. Picture going to any other Caribbean island in the 1950's before all the commercial development and you will have an idea what Nevis is like. This said, don't get the idea that Nevis is backwards.......far from it, it has one of the highest literacy rates in the world. The people in power in Nevis know a good thing when they see it. They have chosen to develop tourism with taste.

"Dining In Nevis"

One of the best things about a holiday, in my opinion anyway, is trying new foods and restaurants. I have to admit that good food is one of my vices, thank God that it doesn't show. If good food is one of your vices, well then I have bad (?) news for you! Nevis has world class Epicurean delights too.

I have had everything from a chili dog at a snackette, Yorkshire pudding at Prinderella's, caramelized onion and Brie tart at Tamarind, and of course oceans of GREAT seafood. While the selection of restaurants on Nevis are few compared to the "big" Caribbean islands, there are enough choices to suit any taste or budget.

I knew when I began to write this site on Nevis that the restaurant page would be the most difficult, not only because of the amount of information, but also for the fact that one person's pâté is another person's chopped liver. What I have decided to do is just give the basic information on atmosphere, service, food, and price. I'm not going to get into all that dollars sign and star ratings stuff....let alone a menu! Too time consuming! I have to do my "real" job too, so I can afford to go to Nevis and eat with the rest of you holiday makers.

Oh, and for those of you who plan on staying in a villa, house, or a flat, there are several good places to shop for groceries. If you are near Newcastle make sure to stop in at Julian Nisbett's, (Sunshine Shoppers) he is located across from the airport. He has a nice selection of fresh produce, canned goods, frozen meats, and even a decent selection of wine and beer. Good service and prices too. Although his business hours are hard to figure out, he is generally open if the sun is up. If you really get a craving for European or American brand foods then Superfoods, in Charlestown, is a must. I personally go there every time I am in Nevis just to have a browse round. Lots of UK brands there that I can't get in the States. The new Ramm's is great too.

"Travel Tips For Nevis"

Passport and Visa

For nationals of the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Commonwealth countries a visa is not required for stays of up to six months. A valid passport, birth certificate, naturalization papers and a return ticket are required.

Customs

The following items are duty free. 200 Cigarettes or 100 Cigars, 1 bottle (26 Oz.) of liquor, and 1 bottle of wine. Pets are not allowed in from North America but are allowed in from England with proof that they are rabies free.

Currency

The local currency is the Eastern Caribbean Dollar (E.C.), and is based on the US Dollar. The exchange rate varies from $ 2.55 to $ 2.70 EC for one US dollar. As usual the banks give the best exchange rates and hotels the worst. Credit cards and travelers checks are widely accepted.

Creepy Crawlies and Other Dangers

While Nevis is a generally safe island, there are things you have to watch out for. Watch out where you walk with bare feet, there are red ants, scorpions, and centipedes which can sting. Watch out for the Manchenil Tree, it grows near the beach and produces a small green apple-like fruit. The leaves, branches, and sap can cause burning much like poison ivy, but worse. The numerous lizards are harmless.

Television and Radio

Most hotels have cable, so many US network and cable stations can be seen. There are also local stations from Nevis, and other nearby islands that are available on cable. There are numerous radio stations that can be received from all over the Caribbean and even the US! I once listened to a Philadelphia Flyers hockey game on a Philadelphia radio station. Some good stations for local music and news are VON radio Nevis on 895 AM, ZIZ radio St. Kitts 555 AM, ABS radio from Antigua on 620 AM, and for a bit of a American slant on things WOSO from San Juan, Puerto Rico on 1030 AM. On the FM dial you will find far less, but you will find the GEM Radio Network scattered all over the dial. They play the same song on every station but from different islands. Too American for my tastes, but there it is.

Tipping/Gratuities

Same as in the US, 10% to 15%, depending on the service. Some restaurants and hotels will automatically add a 10% gratuity. If you are in doubt, do not feel uncomfortable asking. Usually, porters and bellhops receive $ 1.00 per bag, taxi drivers 10-15% of the fare.

Telephones

Calling the US is easy from St. Kitts & Nevis. Most hotels offer USA Direct calling service, or they can connect you with a US operator.

Taxes

St. Kitts & Nevis has a US $18.00 airport departure tax, a room tax of 7% and service charge of 10%.

Drinking Water

Safe spring water comes from numerous volcanic springs.

Appropriate Attire

Beach attire is appropriate for the beach but not the town, shops or restaurants. Please refrain from short shorts, bikinis and bare chests in these places. Informal, but conservative, clothing is the standard.

Time Zone

Atlantic Standard Time, one hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time and the same as Eastern Daylight Time, or GMT-04:00

Banks

Bank of Nova Scotia, Barclays Bank PLC, Royal Bank of Canada, St. Kitts - Nevis-Anguilla National Bank Ltd., Bank of Nevis Ltd., Nevis Cooperative Banking Co. Ltd. Banking hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 3:00 PM and Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 PM. The St. Kitts & Nevis National Bank is also open from 8:30 am - 11:00 am on Saturdays.

Medical Facilities

St. Kitts & Nevis has doctors on call at hotels and a 24-hour Emergency Department. Recompression chambers are available by air ambulance at nearby Saba and in St. Thomas. Pharmaceutical services are widely available.

Shopping Hours

Monday through Saturday 8:00 am to noon and 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM. On Thursdays, most shops close for the afternoon.

St Barts (St Barthelemy) - French West Indies

by skeeterusa

"My last trip to St Barts"

I always enjoy flying in to St Barts small airport. The runway is so short that it can only accomodate planes that are 19 seats or less. I flew in with Tradewind Aviation from San Juan. We fly right over the US and British Virgin islands - stunning views. The landing in St Barts was flawless, and I had my bags in seconds. I had rented a villa from Wimco (www.wimco.com) and walked up to their desk at the airport to get the key for my villa (SIB BBA). The staff was so helpful, they helped me get my rental car, then took my bags in their car and I followed them in my car right up to the villa - now that's door to door service. Villa BBA sits high above the village of St Jean and has great views down towards Gustavia Harbor. We used it as our base to explore the island, but we also took advantage of some great local services in the villa. One night we had the husband/wife team from Cordon Bleu come to the villa to prepare a gourmet dinner for 6 of us, and the next day we had two trained massage therapists from Ligne St Barts come to the villa for massage services by the pool. All very decadent, perfect for a vaction.

St Barts is everything we hoped for - unspoiled, uncrowded, sophisticated, easy to get around and friendly. The euro made things more expensive than we would have liked, but it was worth it. Recommend renting a car whether you are staying in a villa or a hotel, its great to have the mobility and I didn't see too many taxis or buses.

Must see - Bouccaniers cafe overlooking Gustavia harbor for lunch, Mayas for dinner, Shell Beach for sunset followed by drinks by the beach at Do Brazil (owned by former tennis star Yannick Noah). Have a drink at the Carl Gustaf hotel just to see thier view of the Harbor.

antigua

by vincent49

Booking accommodation in Antigua seems like a huge challenge!! Infact unbearable!! Is there any camping sites, trailer parks (caravans) or even self contained Rvs, vans, mobile homes or cabins etc..... ?? Is there any remote locations in forestry with water off the beaten track??
Surely there is an alternative than beach resort etc....

cheers!! : ))

RE: antigua

by cgf

In ANTIGUA and BARBUDA (West Indies) people live of tourism, RICH tourism like most of the Antilles. Once almost of sugar sold in UK was coming from Antigua, now they import from USA. I've been there at Jolly Beach but somebody I know has bought a cheap flight (BA has often good deals to Antigua), they had problems to find a cheap accomodations. I might be wrong, I believe camping is not allowed there.
I found this http://www.pelican-studio.com
and this http://www.lordnelsonantigua.com
there is this web site www.antigua-barbuda.com
with a lot of info, once there was a forum but I can't see it anymore.
Keep in mind ANTIGUA and BARBUDA is not a cheap destination, I was an ALL-INCLUSIVE resort and I did not needed, but if I had to search restaurants, grocery and whatsoever I did need a car. The best way to see well the island is by boat, we were eight and we did it with this http://www.alessandroprimo.com
we've been also on one of "their 365 beaches" where you get there only from the sea, lunch at English Harbour and very beatifull day, I don't remember how much, but not cheap at all.
people in Antigua live with a little, not the same for tourist that what you'll notice very soon.

Comments