Almond Morgan Bay Beach Resort

Costs 33% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Almond Morgan Bay Beach Resort

Why go anywhere else?

by Trevor_Kerr about St. James's Club Morgan Bay

This resort had everything you could want - great tasting food with lots of variety, activities ranging from gentle to athletic, friendly staff, serene and picturesque location and proximity to shopping and other activities.

It takes about an hour to drive from the airport to this resort, but there is much to see along the way provided the driver doesn't go too fast.

Virgin Holidays operates an inexpensive charter from England and Signature operates a comparable one form Canada. There are two pools in two different locations at the St. James's Club Morgan Bay. The main pool is for everyone but the second pool (located near the tennis courts and fitness center) is an adults only pool. Food and drink is readily available in the core of the resort but the menu is limited at the adult pool.
The resort faces west and the sunsets are spectacular.

St James's Club Morgan Bay

by amandahep about St James's Club

All inclusive hotel. Have now stayed here two times - formally Wyndham Morgan Bay.

Recommend the location, beautiful gardens, friendly staff.

Food gets a little familiar if you stay for two weeks. Bar staff work very hard - nice fresh blended cocktails - try the non alcholic Scorpion or alcholic with a touch of Rum.

Beach is poor - don't go here if you expect a long white sand beach. This is a volcanic island. Gardens are fantastic. Beautiful flowers.
Nice friendly atmosphere.

Very nice

St James was just about right for the money. Older resort but room was very large and nice, food was good to very good (had a great steak at the restaurant), bar service excellent. Beach is small, water murky because of the fine sand, but water is warm and swimable. Nice adult only pool with a deck overlooking countryside and mountains. Grounds well maintained. Very relaxing, good overall service.

Ideal for the sun-worshipper

This was our first trip to the Caribbean, for our honeymoon.We found the resort very well-kept and clean with efficient and friendly staff. The availability of watersports was excellent and the adult pool was a great idea, quiet and secluded away from all the bustle of the kids and families. The entertainment was quite family-orientated, but pretty good.The tennis courts were of a good standard, however the gym equipment could be doing with an upgrade.The buffet in the Tradewinds was of a good standard, however it wasn't made clear to us that there was no charge for the Palm grill restaurant, or we would have been there all the time!! The barbecue night in the Tradewinds on the Wednesday was well worth a visit. Nicole's is well worth the small surcharge.We were a little disappointed that the beach was on the small side, but the water was ideal for swimming in, as it was shallow for a fair distance.If you're someone who likes everything at their fingertips and fancy sitting in the sunshine with a drink, this is the place for you.It's not ideal for people looking for a more active holiday, as I wouldn't consider it to be very safe to head beyond the resort outwith a planned excursion. We hired a car, but were very conspicuous as tourists and got hassled by locals.A couple of small tips - the "jump up" at Rodney Bay is a pretty daunting experience - go in a group, stick together, don't leave the main street and women should wear something understated. We found it quite a scary atmosphere.If you want to play golf, book it at the concierge desk, as the Thomas Cook rep wanted to scam $80 out of us for a round - it's complimentary through the hotel!!Joy's tour (available from the watersports pavilion) was excellent - well worth the money and much more pleasant than the larger excursions, if you prefer travelling with 11 other people rather than 111!!!

A fantastic time...

by TripAdvisor Member UKJosie

Like everyone recently I read all the reviews and was concerned but it is a great place.We have just returned from a 1 week stay at St James' - a family of four with 2 children aged 7 and 9. The hotel catered for every one of us.We had a room overlooking the ocean. It was very clean, fresh towels every day and nice toiletries as well. The air conditioning was on all the time - a necessity and it kept the room lovely and cool.The pool was fine and we all went in. It was cleaned every day and the pool area was well looked after.The beach was great - perfectly safe and clean sand. St Lucia is a volcanic island so the sand is very dark - we were told by the tour rep that the white sand is imported. The water is cloudy - but this is CHOC BAY and it lives up to its name. Having said that we did go snorkelling around the small coves and we did find fish.The restaurants were excellent. The food was in plentiful supply with plenty of choice. The buffet in Tradewinds was themed each evening, or there is the more formal Palm Grill which we had no problem booking up. We didn't eat in Nicole's as they do not take children and we weren't organised enough to put them in Kids Club for the evening.The drinks are plentiful - absolutely no shortage there.The staff are extrememly friendly and helpful. All wear name badges and enjoy a quick chat. Nothing is too much trouble.The watersports were great. We tried the banana boat, snorkelling, sailing boats and there were no problems with booking them out although you do need to be there early - first come, first served.Would I go again? absolutely!

Top Spot

by TripAdvisor Member corkyccat

OK...so I'm no Caribbean expert...but in my humble opinion this is seriously good resort for a family holiday. We went for two weeks May/June. Its the second year in a row that we've been to the Morgan Bay resort. Last year, of course, it was Wyndham. This year it's St James Club. We thoroughly enjoyed both our stays.Guests seem to be 95% Brits, a few other Europeans and a handful of Yanks. We Brits have been brought up on dodgy seaside holidays and to come to somewhere as beautiful as St Lucia, with plenty of sunshine, free watersports, locals who aren't trying to rip you off and and as much booze you can drink is clearly far more than we can cope with.Its an attractive looking resort, not pretentious, staff are on the whole extremely friendly and helpful and after a while some of the the entertainments staff are even calling you by your first name (something else we Brits find hard to cope with). A couple of the staff from the Kids Club even recognised us from last year. Food generally good - breakfast brilliant. Night-time entertainment variable - sometimes excellent - my wife was third in the conga one night she was that overwhelmed with the music emanating from Dr Dream and his band or whatever his name was (she's normally very shy you see). Other nights it was yet another band murdering "No Woman No Cry".Tell you what though....Kids Club...brilliant. No question. They take the kids off your hands during the day and in the evening up to 9 pm....and they entertain them. My litle boy (aged 7) loved it. The Kids Club even took them on a number of trips - up the coast on the speedboat to Windjammer, to Pigeon Island and to St Lucia's zoo (my boy claimed he saw a dead tortoise there but that's another story).Sure - you can pick holes in the resort if you want and find things to complain about it. That seems to have driven some of the negative reviews I've seen. Parts of the resort do need a bit of a makeover - certainly some of the watersports equipment and parts of the main pool - but the St James Club crowd seem to be gradually doing that and have made a number of improvements from last year - new adult pool, brand new kids club building, switching the al la carte restaurant to the Palm Grill, even repairing the giant chess set (now that IS important). So they do seem to be investing in the place.Tours - we did go on Joy's tour last year - most reviews seem to mention it, and it was good - though it wasn't his mum doing the cooking - perhaps it was her day off. This year we went on whale watching and snorkelling trip with some bloke called Vincent and that was excellent too.Overall verdict - great resort and for us, a great value holiday given how very much more expensive some of the other resorts are in the brochures - and this definitely seemed to be the view of all the people I spoke to. We plan to return.

We Hated to Leave

by TripAdvisor Member happyscamper1

We just returned from one week at the St. James in St. Lucia and I am happy to say it was fabulous. I found myself worried before we arrived because of the negative reviews. Once there my husband and I kept shaking our heads trying to imagine what inspired any complaints. The grounds are lovely, the staff consistently pleasant and helpful while not intrusive, the variety of activities was great, and the rooms were completely satisfactory with good beds, water pressure and housekeeping service (my priorities at least). Everyone I spoke to while there was similarly happy. The crowd covered a wide age span of mostly Brits and a pleasant number of unbelievably well behaved kids (Are children always so well mannered in England?!)This would definitely not be a place to go as a single looking to attach. By the end I decided I would change the entertainment and improve the coffee, but that is mostly to console myself for having sadly to leave. I'm already scheming a return.

A magical trip

by TripAdvisor Member 104obe

We just returned 6/25 from a 7-day trip to St.Lucia and St.James Club. One word sums it up. "Magic"!! One can be as active or as laid- back as one feels, and the staff will accommodate you either way- without being intrusive. The rooms were spacious and clean ( pay a little extra and get 2nd or 3rd floor deluxe ocean-front ---great view ). The water is not as clear as some of the other Carib. isles, but is warm and relaxing. Theme night dinners offer some " interesting" and plentiful food choices, and breakfast & lunch can't be beat. At Sundowner bar get Brutus to mix for you a mar- garita (double tequila & shaken). Delicious, Mon!! Boat ride w/trips to volcano, tropical gardens, waterfall is wonderful. We could go on and on, but suffice it to say that we have been to most of the islands, and St.Lucia & St.James Club are " Simply Beautiful".

It's right up there with the best !!

by TripAdvisor Member Grateful-Guests

We have just returned from spending two weeks at SJC. We had a Superior Room, which looked out over the Caribbean and our accommodation, which was of a high standard, was always spotless.The standard and choice of food and alcohol were both excellent. We had no problem booking the Palm Grill, in fact we ate there for each of our last seven nights. The service in this restaurant was extremely good, as it was throuighout the resort. One of our son's birthday occurred while we were there and Sharon in the Palm Grill decorated a table for him with little flowers and bought him a card and present. While presenting him with a cake(that we purchased in advance) the enntire staff (chef and all) came to the table singing to him. We could not praise the staff there highly enough. We will definitley miss Sharon, Allison, Kurt, Benus and co.The only drawback we encountered was the fact that SJC does not recognise 3/4 length trousers as gents pants - they classify then as shorts instead. If you wear them to the restaurant you are sent back to change, and there is no flexibility shown (I had to return in the rain). We believe that the resort needs to update its policy to reflect the world's changes in fashion.The big question on any holiday is "Would you go back".Well, we definitley would.

Fun in the Sun

by TripAdvisor Member MrsJockey

After reading some really bad reviews on this hotel i was very apprehensive about my holiday. However, I was really suprised to find that the resort was a lot better than i was expecting!! We were upgraded to a sea view room which was clean and spacious. The Beach was clean, the sea wasn't crystal clear but this is a vulcanic island and the sand is dark and gets churned up, but you could still see the fish that swim up to you!. The swimming pools were clean, if you want to get away from the constant noise at the main pool go up to the adult only pool its VERY quite and has its own bar. The food was fantastic, lots of variety and all very tasty! especially the fish! We had no problems booking into the Palm Grill and the food was excellent. The entertainment could be improved. A couple of the band were very good (I think one of them was called 9-10 and played on a sunday night) Staff were so friendly, you were always greated with a smile and hello and the service you recieved was first class! Go on Joys excursion which you can book with the activities centre on the beach - well worth it! Overall my holiday experience was excellent. I think this hotel is geared towards families as they have an excellent kids club. If you have no kids you will still have a good time, but be prepared for the noise round the pool area! I would definately go back again!

Tal and St.Lucian PolicewomanTal and St.Lucian Policewoman

Assistance

by CALIGULACABBAGE

Hi I have been lucky enough to win a trip for 2 7nights all inclusive in St Lucia staying at the Almond Morgan Bay Hotel...was going in may 2008 but now the girl friend has fallen pregnant! eek...

I am looking at going in September 2008 but this is now hurricane season..anyone on this forum been in September want to know how good/bad the weather is.. granted here in the UK we have had some spectacular weather recently but am just curious how bad these hurricanes can be..

Re: Assistance

by J.L.Johnson

I've been to St. Lucia, but it was in June. The weather between January and mid July seems to be the calmest. The Atlantic Hurricane season picks up around the midddle of July and peaks near December's end. It's not common however, that hurricane development or hurricane track is that far south, though on occasion, it can happen. But I can say this with certainty, if you haven't been to St. Lucia before, it is one of the most ruggedly beautiful islands in the world. Enjoy and, Live Life.

All Inclusive Get Away

by ehamilton0909

Brand new here! Just wanted to get some suggestions. My 30th birthday is in April and my husband and I are planning a get away. After this vacation, we are going to try and have some kids, so we want this vacation to be very special, being it might be our last one as a couple with no children! We are looking for an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean. We have been to Jamaica a few times so that is out for an option. My husband does not like to sit on the beach all day long. (unlike myself) We need a resort that can keep us occupied but also let's us relax when needed. Food and beverage is very important to us, and so is the service. At this point, I am open to anything. Thanks for taking your time out to read this!

Re: All Inclusive Get Away

by bajantraveler

St Lucia has lots to do besides beaches and they have several AI resorts. Check out Almond Morgan Bay. They also have 3 Sandals resorts which are specially geared towards couples. Many resorts/hotels will offer an all inclusive package anyway, which opens up a whole lot of other options.

Comments