Coco Palm

Costs 68% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Coco Palm

Delightful Coco Palm Visit

by TripAdvisor Member Joewronko

Having stayed in Coco Palm @ Rodney Bay from 2/9 to 2/16/2006, we found the help and the facilities extremely outstanding. The Le Banane restaurant offered excellent cuisine. The location to other shops and restaurants are more than accomodating.

Island decor and wonderful food

by BROOKS about Coco Kreole and Coco Palm

It was something different and beautiful-almost surreal. A beautiful, modern "boutique-style" hotel that melds modern Caribbean style with the gracious hospitality of days gone by... Restaurants, bars, art galleries, sailing, and the best beach (in my opinoin).
Dedicated waitstaff, very personal and personable. Opened by the former St. Lucia Director of Tourism, Allen Chastanet, in fall 2003, Coco Kreole is a cute 20-room self-styled boutique hotel on Reduit Beach—and a refreshing antidote to the nearby cluster of giant resorts. Chastanet put a lot of thought into avoiding the typical reception-check-in routine, instead employing "hosts" responsible for tending their own block of rooms. Cable TV with VCR, AC, cordless phones, Wi-Fi, and a pool are the big-ticket extras included in the very small ticket price. The Brown Sugar bar is open all day. The brand-new, pricier Coco Palm has 72 rooms, including a few where (toddlers beware) your French windows open directly over the pool. Both hotels have exuberant, splashy, island decor, with sun-bright colors, bamboo furniture, and palm-frond prints.

Coco Kreole

by easterntrekker about Coco Kreole

We stayed here for a week in Feb 2005.
On the positive side , It's a small clean hotel...in a very convenient location.
The rooms are bright and cheery .
On the negative side. They were working on an adjacient hotel when we were there so lots of early morning noise. The pool is shallow and very tiny ...not at all inviting..
When we arrived the cab driver couldn't even get in the driveway as the hotel was being used for a private function and everything was blocked off....not very welcoming. Good price and convenient to beach and resturants.

Highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member JoJoStirling

We were lucky enough to spend 11 nights here in January. We usually go 5* but just didn't fancy the full all inclusive bit this time. After lots of research the Coco Palm seemed to be good quality at a good price (£95 per night)... and indeed it was.
The Coco Palm had everything we wanted. We had a pool view suite on the top floor and it was well worth the small premium. Large bed, 2 bathrooms and a sitting area plus DVD, flat screen TV, coffee machine ... all the 5* comforts.
The host thing is a bit of a pain but to be fair they couldn't do enough for you. They even ordered us a Pizza one night from the local Dominos and got it delivered to our room and rented us a couple of DVD's as well! A blissful evening after a hard day around the pool.
Just one bar/restaurant which is all you need as there are loads of restaurants in Rodney Bay.
I thought the dining out was generally good at about £50 for 2 for 2 courses with bottle of wine.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting top quality at a decent price.

Great stay overall -- only little quibbles

Just returned from one week's stay in St. Lucia at Coco Palm, and had to add our two cents to what are already, deservedly, glowing reviews for this place. It's new, and still hammering out a few details (like having enough towels laundered by the afternoon, or getting rooms cleaned before late PM). Perfection, or real high-falutin' quality, you won't get. But the atmosphere was comfortable and casual, the hosts were great, the room decor was plush for the price, and with beach and so many restaurants close by, the location was outstanding.

If you go, we recommend you seek out Nick the bartender at Happy Hour (ask for his special rum drink made with Seventh Heaven and coco rum), Buzz for dinner (amazing specials), and Elena's Italian gelato.

A 3* hotel with a 5* heart

by TripAdvisor Member cadra

This hotel certainly was a jewel in paradise. We have just returned from 2 weeks at Coco Palm and we had no complaints at all. The rooms are well furnished, the staff were great and the location is central to a good selection of resturants and shops. Ti Bananne, the hotels resturant served excellant food and the staff were great fun. Local entertainment was provided most nights. The staff arranged a number of trips for us all of which proved to be excellant value. The "Fish Fry" in Ansle La Raye was well worth a visit if you like local culture and good food. All in all this hotel operated far above its 3* rating and we will definately being going back next year.

Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member Randy2000

We stayed at the Coco Palm from Feb 9th to Feb 13th on a 3rd floor garden view room (in other words - not facing the pool).

The positives -

1. checking in was not a problem at all. I was worried about the "no check-in desk" reviews on here but guess what - they fixed that and now have a desk just to the right after you enter the hotel
2. a computer with internet in the lobby (not necessary for most folks on vacation but because I fly standby I need it to finalize my travel to get home)
3. really good restaurant at hotel (free continental breakfast was nice)
4. rooms were clean, looked new, had cable tv and good air conditioning and nicely decorated
5. staff was friendly and helpful
6. within walking distance to reduit beach and plenty of restaurants and a large supermarket down the road

The negatives -
1. I had some trouble sleeping. For one, the door to our room let in a lot of light at the bottom and sides (the hallways are brightly lit). I like to have almost complete darkness when I sleep. But also everything is tile, including the hallways. This helps amplify every little conversation and noise - especially ladies walking down the hall with heels. Whenever anyone closed their door, it made a loud slamming noise that echoed all the way down the hall because the doors are not sealed. Again - it's not that people were being loud or anything, it's just the way things are. Perhaps if you are a really heavy sleeper than you may not even notice these things. Earplugs didn't even help. Maybe they can put a long strip of carpet in the hallway.
2. Although the air conditioning was efficient, it blew directly on the bed. Hello wind chill. This bothered my girlfriend more than myself.
3. I'm not really sure this is a negative on the hotel - but one night we opted for the "sunset cruise" which was advertised on the sign in the lobby. Just a suggestion to the hotel staff - insert the word "party" between "sunset" and "cruise". That way people are not surprised when they find out they are signing up to get on a boat with 50 other people and listen to loud music with unlimited alchohol. We both had a good time - but thought it would be a little more peaceful.

Overall, the positives of this hotel far outweigh the negatives. This is a good value.

A great value, made for a great vacation

by TripAdvisor Member matouli

We spent 5 days here at the end of February. First saw the Coco Palm recommended in the Chicago Tribune's Travel section, then booked based on the Trip Advisor reviews. For the most part, this really is an underrated hotel. But that's what makes it great-- it is an excellent value. No, it's not perfect, but like other indicated, it exceeded expectations.

I do not like staying at all-inclusives. I like staying at hotels owned by locals, going to local restaurants and businesses, contributing to the local economy and experiencing the local culture. That being said, I do not want to rough it, or skimp on quality. This hotel really fit my requirements well. It's in Rodney Bay Village, everything is within walking distance. We did occasionally leave the area, but traveling by cab is no problem in St. Lucia. The hotel is new, everything is in good shape, great french/british colonial style, and the pool is really nice. We had a garden view room on the first floor-- I loved it because it was peaceful. I couldn't hear the pool or anything else but chirping birds. I did envy the swim-up rooms, but I think the garden rooms are a great value, since we spent little time in the room anyway.

Other reviewers' complaints are for the most part correct. They occasionally ran out of towels on the busy weekend, but towels were brought to our room as soon as they were ready. We needed a hair dryer, someone brought it by as soon as we requested it. The hallway is a bit loud, and light does seep through the door frame, but none of this affected my sleep (sound was drowned out by the air conditioner). Check-in has been fixed, it wasn't a problem for us or anyone else while we were there (I got to observe a lot of check-ins while on the free internet computer in the lobby-- another great touch).

The nice thing is that you have any issues, you tell them and they fix it right away. They also took care of a lot of things for us-- tours, dinner reservations, cabs. Customer service is excellent. Hotel employees, from the manager to the security guard, were always willing to give directions or suggestions on where to go.

Finally, I loved the Ti Bananne restaurant and bar. It wasn't overpriced at all, the chef is great. They would constantly be checking on the free breakfast buffet to make sure everything was stocked and at the right temp, and that's the free buffet. The attention to detail was great. Plus, it's really beautiful.

Highly Recommending but a Few Teething Problems

by TripAdvisor Member poleposition

We stayed at the Coco Palm in January and, apart from a few minor problems were very happy with the hotel.

I was a bit worried about the check in procedure having read previous reviews but on arrival were greeted by five hosts as soon as we got through the door, all very friendly.

After being shown to our garden view room we looked out the window to find it was more of a tank view room as there were two large water tanks outside our room. Although the hotel didn't seem that busy, when we asked to move to a room with a view of the garden we were told there were none available but we could have a pool view room - only at a price! This didn't really put us in a good mood to start.

There were a few other problems we encountered but, to be fair they were put right as soon as possible, these included
1. There was no coffee machine in the room but when mentioned one was brought to the room within 10 minutes.
2. For me, the pillows were too hard because the pillows were crammed into pillow cases that were too small. Again when mentioned they were changed to bigger pillow cases (until the bedding was changed!)
3. When they changed the bedding they used double sheets on a king size bed that didn't cover all the mattress. When mentioned we were told the laundry hadn't come back, however they did replace them the following day.
4. Towels and the bath mat were removed but not replaced.
5. As mentioned in a previous review, because of the tiled floors it is noisy.
6. At breakfast you nearly always had to ask for cutlery and plates.

There were also lots of positives
1. Staff are very helpful and friendly.
2. We could always get beach towels and a bed round the pool.
3. Hotel was very clean and comfortable.
4. Food in the hotel restaurant was very good and reasonably priced.
5. Location is great, close to the beach and lots of good restaurants.

Overall the hotel is very good but they just need to sort out the niggly little things, if they had done this it would have got a well deserved 5 stars. As it is only silly little things that let it down slightly, I would certainly recommend the hotel and would stay here again.

As well as good food in the hotel we also had a great steak at the waterside Charthouse about a two minute walk from the hotel followed by a visit to the ice cream parlour in the same vicinity. We also went to the Coal Pot, close to Castries airport, this was the best meal we had Mahi Mahi with a curry and coconut sauce - beautiful. This is also waterside but make sure you book, we just turned up and were lucky we were early, about 7.00pm, as about 15 minutes later they were turning people away.

I would recommend hiring a car to really see the best of the island. We found most drivers to be careful and only crossed onto your side of the road to avoid a pothole. Having read previous reviews I was concerned about the state of the roads, but most of them are absolutely fine, yes some have holes but it's not a place you drive fast as the roads are twisty so are easily avoidable. You must have lunch at Ladera resort near the volcano. The food was OK but it's the view you go for right between the two pitons, absolutely wonderful. We also had lunch in Marigot bay, we got the ferry EC$6 round trip to Doolittles for lunch, food was good and again a fantastic view.

We went to Anse Chastanet for snorkelling. If you drive you will take bumpy narrow road and will think you have gone wrong, but keep going for about 10 minutes. The snorkelling is good and the water is clear, there is a marine park cordoned off for snorklers. Go in the late afternoon so you can have cocktails in the bar and watch the sunset.

All in all we loved the island and were very pleased with the hotel.

Noisy - beware!

by TripAdvisor Member MamboMoose

We booked a room facing the "courtyard", which was in fact a parking lot off the main street entering Reduit Beach. Reduit Beach is a very popular party destination in St. Lucia. Between the continuous stream of cars blasting music, sometimes until 6:00 a.m. (especially on Fridays), and the bar and restaurant flanking either side of the hotel, it was virtually impossible to get a decent night's sleep. Otherwise, the hotel is adorable, very clean and close to a gorgeous beach – it’s just not a good choice if you are looking for a restful night.

Coco Kreole and Coco Palm vicinitiesCoco Kreole and Coco Palm vicinities

Coco KreoleCoco Kreole

Coco Kreole's private beachCoco Kreole's private beach

Suggestion on alternative lodging

by MuadGa

Hello all!

My husband and I are thinking about going to a nice beach in the Caribbean, but we don't want to go to a massive hotel. We've been to Tulum in Mexico to a nice small hotel/cabana right up front to the beach and are looking for a similar place somewhere in the Caribbean, any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Suggestion on alternative lodging

Hi
My husband and I have been to most of the Caribbean and our favorite island is St Lucia. It has it all. Nice beach, great weather , little resturants , shopping and fabulous scenery . There are two waterfalls , one warm and one cold. WE stayed a month , first in condo called Gateway Villas, which was great and then a small hotel near the beach called Coco Kreole. Take a look at my pages for more information.http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/a3065/a90/

Re: Suggestion on alternative lodging

by LaSpiaza

why don't you try the San Blas Island in the south caribbean coast of Panama?
they are indio territory and the 365 coral island (only 60 permanently inhabitated) are a wonderful and untainted corner of the real Caribe!

You can take a flight to Panama City and than, when you are there, buy an air ticket for San Blas (www.flyairpanama.com or www.aeroperlas.com)

You do not need to book in advance and I would reccommend to try the less know Isla Tigre or Corazon de Jesus zones.

You can give a look to my pics for having an idea of how the place looks like!

Have a wonderful stay

Elisa

best place for a hiatus

by skillet01

new member here but have read some really good stuff so far. Just wondering about your opinions as to the best places for an extended vacation or hiatus, possibly even for later consideration of permanent move.

Focusing more on Caribbean right now than Central American, but open. Have read some good things about Belize. But would really like some info on some of the islands.

Just looking to escape a bit and decompress from the everyday grind.

Thanks,

skillet

We've travelled to many of the islands and my favorite is St Lucia. I'm
sure if you ask 10 people you'll get 10 other favorites . We stayed three weeks in St Lucia and rented a privately owned condo . St Lucia has a bit of everything , wonderful scenery , small town atmosphere , warm waterfall and cold waterfall, beaches, and nice tropical weather. Happy travels!

by Marianne2

I also have been to many of the islands, and as the above poster mentions, people's preferences vary a lot. I frankly like the South Pacific islands better, but if your option is to go to the Caribbean, here are some that I like:
--British Virgin Islands
--Iles des Saintes
--Bequia
--Antigua
--Barbados

Good luck in your decision!

by skillet01

thanks for the tips....would love to hear more and will check these out in more detail tomorrow. I have heard wonderful things about S Pacific as well....just not quite there yet.

Also, i would love any advice or suggestion on some more "affordable" Caribbean options. I know it is expensive to just get away, but not looking at anything fancy and definitely no big hotels. However, if anyone knows or any good deals on a private villa or small place for an extended stay I would love the info. Primarily, something like a nice little cozy B&B would be ideal. Would be a great way to experience some more of the island culture b/c you could have daily interaction with residents of the island.\

Just feeling the need to take a break from the grind of what is everyday life here in the US.

Thanks again,

skillet

by gfinesilver

Cabarete in the Dominican Republic is a great spot. cheap too, like the whole island. i lived there for about 8 months and loved it. nice beaches, watersports like kitesurfing and windsurfing, and fun atmosphere.

Utila in Honduras is a good spot too.

And maybe San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua. it's on the pacific but is pretty cool.

by easterntrekker

In St Lucia we stayed at the Gateway Villas for 3 weeks . They were excellent fairly new condos. WE also stayed at the Coco Kreole Hotel . This is a small hotel , more like a bed and breakfast . Here is their website. http://www.cocokreole.com/English/press.html. From St Lucia we caught a ferry over to Martinique which is a fun weekend getaway. You can see the island from St Lucia.

Comments