Papillon by Rex Resorts

Reduit Beach, Castries, Caribbean

More about Papillon by Rex Resorts

Feb. 29th 2004 - Great but only double beds, no queens

The Papillon all-inclusive has to be the best deal in St. Lucia, but
it's not luxurious. Most rooms have two slightly smaller than standard
double beds and the T.V. has no remote, but the rooms are clean and
nice and much closer to the ocean than at the Rex or the Royal. Also
the Hotel is at the extreme southern end of the beach with only a small
mountain south of it, so people aren't always walking back and forth in
front of it. The Royal is much more luxurious but it's three stories
tall so that their beach and the Rex seem more crowded. One thing we
learned from people we met at the Royal and Rex is that those hotels
have a deal with crusie ship lines to provide a beach and bar access to
their passengers when the ships arrive so sometimes the Papillon ends
up with refugees from the more expensive hotals as their beaches get
packed when the cruise line buses arrive.
The buffet style dinners get old fast and everyone is on the quest for the perfect meal after a couple of nights. The hotel gives you a $40 EC allowance per person per meal if you eat at one of the other fancy restaurants on the adjoining properties. Chic is the most fabulous of those restaurants. My daughter said the rum and honey roasted duck gave her goosebumps. The appetizers often look more like flowers than food, but the experience is equal to the best of Paris.

There is no effort to constrain alcohol consumption or Hobie Cat rental or any of the other freebies that come with the all inclusive. My only real complaint is that when we all arrived at check-in the whole proceedure took more than an hour (same for the Rex).

Not exactly what I expected - but okay

by TripAdvisor Member PatriciaTraveller

My husband and I spent our 6 day honeymoon at the Papillon. I have to agree with some of the other reviews that the hotel and grounds wasn't what I expected. The papillon pool was SO much smaller that what the brochure made it look like. My husband and I were in a little bit of disbelief when we saw that the poolside experience wasn't going to be much. We spent most of our time taking day trips and tours because there wasn't anything to do at the hotel during the day at all. The beach was nice, but STAY on the sand by the water. We walked up towards the top of the beach and within seconds we were asked if we wanted to buy drugs - for real! Security guards patrolled the beach 24 hours per day, so if you didn't stray, you were safe. The restaurant food was actually pretty good. We weren't left hungry ever and the warm breezes that flowed through the beachside restaurant were great. We recommend spending the extra money and eating at the indoor (air conditioned) chinese restaurant on site. It was so nice and not as casual as the other restaurants. The rooms were okay, nothing special. We really didn't spend much time in the room. We had issues with getting fresh towels put in the room after the room cleaning, and it took a few phone calls until someone actually delivered towels. This happened for 3 days in a row and I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong! I would recommend this hotel to someone who isn't looking for the whole "posh" resort experience. What was nice was since it was more casual, I didn't feel like everyone was walking around like it was a fashion show. Really laid back and pretty much anything went.

loved it

We have been to St Lucia so many times, we dont personally stay in The Rex but we are there most of the time, We eat in the resturant which over looks the beach, the food is lovely, The staff are so friendly and I always feel this Hotel has a old english feel, not the butlins feel that some of the other all inclusives have. I would say this hotel is geared at the couple or older generation visitor, it does not have the discos or play areas that the others have, which was good for us. The evening intertainment was great, there was a small show to start with, then a different band would come on every night, all excellent. I love this hotel. The bar area is cosey and you can either dress up or dress down. The swimming pool area is lovely and the hotel is situated right on the beach.......all in all id go back again and again. Jacquie

Brilliant!

My wife and I had a wonderful week at the Rex. It is true that the pool area is small but the Caribbean Sea is pretty large and the beach and sea are beautiful. The staff at the hotel make the stay most enjoyable, they are helpful, humourous and spend their days trying to ensure that you have a good time. The food was very good. Not cordon bleu (you are not paying a cordon bleu price to stay here) but excellent quality and a good variety. The hotel is quiet at night so sleeping is never a problem but entertainment was on offer when you wanted. The room was spacious and comfortable, we chose a superior room with two double beds. All in all a very memorable holiday and I would heartily recommend the Rex for great value and a wonderful relaxing holiday.

'doesn't set the pulse racing!'

Have just spent 12-19 March 2004 at the Papillon. Transfer by mini-bus from the airport was a pretty horrendous 2 hours of potholes and suicidal local drivers! This is a good value all-inclusive hotel but proves that 3* means only average rather than exciting. If you did not have the use of the facilities of adjoining Rex St Lucian it would not work. The pool is really too small, the entertainment generally happens at the St Lucian, and the better bars are also there. We used their pool which was rather nice.

The food was generally good though not very exciting, typical of what you get in Carribean A/Is of this rating. Roast meats excellent however. But don't get hungry later in the evening after the restaurants have closed - you can't get anything to eat then.

Rooms (superior in our case) pretty standard, with TV, hairdryer, usual layout with king-size bed and bathroom 'just off'.

Beach is NOT white sand - but pretty nice nevertheless.

Staff excellent, great attitude, friendly, nothing too much trouble.

Overall, good value, but don't expect luxury.

A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT BUT DON'T STAY THERE

A NICE PLACE TO VISIT BUT DON'T STAY THEREReduit Beach is spectacular and the waterview rooms at the Rex Papillon are no more than 15 yards from the water. This is good because if you eat the food, you will be spending a lot of time there. The food was WRETCHED. The Monarch Restaurant, where the all-inclusive meals are served, is not even at the level of a college cafeteria. Selection is limited, poorly prepared, and presented in unsanitary conditions. For example, our welcome meal included pork chops in some sort of a tomato sauce, microwaved frozen onion rings, canned peas with onions, and dried out turkey from the carving station. So, I thought, there's always dessert. Well, there IS, but you wouldn't want to eat it. Coming from a woman who can eat Twinkies out of the box for breakfast, this should really tell you something. What they served was not very tasty on the first day, and even less tasty on the second or third day when they took the same desserts and varied them by adding sprinkles or food coloring. The food is left out from the beginning of the buffet until the end, it does not appear to be kept at a safe temperature, and if you arrive near the end, it looks congealed. Birds fly around the dining hall and the cooking areas eating food out of dispensers or worse, leaving something behind. We both got sick and ended up eating all of our meals out after the second day we were there. We tried the Mariner, the more upscale restaurant at the Rex but the food was the same, just higher priced. Fortunately, there are some good restaurants down the street in Rodney Bay and many are reasonably priced. We thought that the food might be just typical of St Lucia until we ate at the high end Rex Royal St Lucian (on the same property) where we had a meal as good as any I have had in an upscale Manhattan restaurant. We also had lunch at the Jalousie Hilton and it was basic (hamburgers, hot dogs, fish, pork, salad, rice, FRESH vegetables, dessert) but at only $14 per person, it was delicious. All-inclusive is very deceiving. Yes, you get your "meals", drinks, lodging, etc, but they clip you on the little things like beach umbrella rental, $4 a day, use of the in-room safe (which the hotel STRONGLY recommends) $2.50 a day, bottled water can be purchased but is not provided, etc. Lastly, with rare exceptions, we found the staff at the hotel to be indifferent at best and outright hostile at worst. I know it was the end of the season and people were tired but requests for even little things like skim milk with tea were met with exasperation. We ended up going to the store down the street, buying our own, and bringing it to meals in a styrofoam cup from Kentucky Fried Chicken. We started referring to the Monarch Restaurant as the "Mean Arch" by the second day. All-in-all, we managed to have a good time once we got off property for meals. But, we do NOT recommend this hotel. People complain about things like no remote controls, very basic rooms, etc, but the real issues at this place are the meals and the staff. I read a lot of reviews before I stayed here but realize now that there is a difference between the expectations of American travelers and some European travelers. If you are from the US, I strongly suggest that you pay close attention to the reviews from people from the US.

Fantastic

Had a fantastic holiday, stayed at the rex due to the cricket. The hotel was very good the staff were all very freindly, entertainment was good, and if it wasnt to your fancy you could walk 2 minutes down the road where there are various pubs/restaurants. The beach was fantastic, clear blue sea and plenty of water sports to choose from. The rooms were clean and tidy. But the only thing i will criticise about the place was the evening buffet, it was the same old thing every night and there wasnt that much selection. But the other restaurants that you have to pay a suppliment were fantastic. Recomend staying but stay clear of the buffet.

Very average and beware of the birds in the restaurant

I spent a week here in late May 2004 and was glad to get away at the end of it.

Here's the good bits:

- Beach was clean and sea is clear and there's plenty of sun loungers and a couple of good guys who deliver beach umbrellas for a small fee

- Sun is hot

- drinking in Castries with the locals is great and costs about 60 pence for a rum and coke

Here's the bad bits:

- In the Monarch restaurant there are birds flying, pecking at the food, sitting on the tables and most likely messing in the food! It was disgusting.

- The air conditioning in the bedrooms sounds like an aeroplane - it's pretty impossible to sleep at night with the noise, but if you turn it off you end up sweating buckets all night

- The music played in the restaurants is mind-numbing. After 3 days of the torture of soft-reggae for breakfast lunch and tea I wanted to slit my wrists

- Men cannot wear shorts for dinner. I am serious - it's a strict rule that men must wear trousers for dinner and don't try to charm you way around this rule. When I pointed out that it wasn't the Ritz in London I think I upset folks for a good few days and I got a frosty reception for the rest of my vacation

- the hotel is one and a half hours from the airport

- you are asked to check out of your room at midday even if you don't leave the resort until mid-afternoon. You are then "treated" to a BBQ in the sweltering sun, whilst wearing your "going home" clothes. My girlfriend said this was "barbaric" - maybe a little over the top - but it was certainly stupid!

To summarise, we had a good time - but no thanks to this resort.

Oh and without wanting to appear un-kind, it would appear that this resort attracts a certain kind of clientele - the type that used to take holidays at Clacton or Blackpool many years ago but have now taken that good old cheap British holiday feeling and exported it to St Lucia.

My family & I have just returned from an excellent 2 weeks here. Nothing really to fault the holiday. Even the birds were acceptable in the restaurant. Staff extremely helpful & friendly. The only irritation, & this is only a minor one, are the beach vendors who hasstled you almost the moment that we pitched up on the beach. The food was good, though heat in the food wasn't always there in the restaurant, none of us returned with dicky tummies. One of the things that my wife & I liked was the fact that there was no TV or radio in our room. It was nice to leave the world behind & not know what it was doing. I cannot understand these people who haven't enjoyed themselves. This is not Disney, neither is it 5 star hotel treatment. If they want that they should either stick to their own vast & sometimes inhospitable country or go somewhere else! My 18 year old son asked me towards the end of the holiday if either we could stay another week or that I win the lottery so that we could keep coming back! A big thumbs up from all of us

Beautiful Country, shame about the hotel...

My wife and I visited St Lucia with our son aged 7 and daughter aged 11, for a 2-week AI package holiday. This was our third AI holiday having previously visited Jamaica last year & St Kitts the year before on a similar budget. Hence we thought we had good idea of what to expect for our money.

The Rex Papillon is joined to its sister hotel Rex St Lucia. The two hotels are adjoined with the option to share most facilities. Unfortunately The Papillon is of a noticeably lower standard kinda like having Butlins joined to Centre Parks. What makes it worse is that the Papillon tries to sell itself as being a higher standard than it actually is. The food in the Papillon Monarch was ok - but NOT good. We were never ill but the food was never fresh tasting, with a lack of variety and often lukewarm. For example they never offered ice cream even if you asked. (People with kids you know what I mean)

As an alternative we often ate in the joining hotel Rex St Lucia that had two Restaurants of a much higher standard- The Mariner offering a greater buffet selection and the option of an al-carte menu; and The Oriental restaurant only offering al'carte but the food was very tasty and the kids loved it. Eating at the Rex St Lucia meant you got a credit of EC$40 per adult (£9) and EC$20 for children. OR pay EC$20 per adult for the buffet- (what the kids paid for the buffet seem to vary from day-to-day.!).

We had one of the superior rooms that was comfortable but tired looking and in need of a good decorate and a bit of modernising. For example our room was on the ground floor but didn’t even have a wall between the balcony and gardens.

The pool at the Papillon was small, but the beach was great with golden sands, clear water and good snorkelling. Unfortunately you have to pay for your umbrella (EC$10 per day.). Not a lot of money but on top of the cost of eating in the other Restaurants, the charge for the safe in your room, etc we ended up spending far more than we normally do of a AI holiday.

If you haven't booked it yet and you should seriously reconsider spending the extra £s and going to a hotel to the standard normally associated with AI holiday in the Caribbean.

If you've already booked it, don't worry. The place has its faults but not enough to stop you from having a good time, just a little disappointing.

Castries street cornerCastries street corner

rex papillon st lucia

hi
lookin for any info on this hotel, please!
thanx
emma

Re: rex papillon st lucia

by LisaMJ

I've stayed at the Royal St Lucian, next door to your hotel. The hotels are on the same beach, and it's the best beach we saw in St Lucian in my opinion.
The sand isn't white, it's golden, but beautiful all the same.

You have a lovely view across to Pigeon Island from the beach.

Within 5 mins walk of the hotel are over a dozen restaurants. I recommend La Piazza for a casual meal, Charthouse for a lovely waterside quality dinner too. Theres also a curry house, several international, chinese and english restaurants amongst these. (Of course there may be more now as we went in June 2002.

A further 3 mins walk is a small mall, where we found a little cafe. We'd sometimes pop in for a baugette that we'd take back to the hotel for lunch to have in our room........ not sure about the papillon, but the Royal was a bit pricey for lunch, and we preferred to spend our money on nice evening meals instead.

In all honesty, from what we saw, don't think the hotel is for want of a better word 'anything special', but as I said, it's on the best beach, with lots to do nearby, so if you are happy to see the hotel as a kind of base - clean, comfy, no major frills, then you'll be happy.

Hth

Lisa

p.S Really reocmmend the day trip to the Grenadines, pretty expensive but worth it!

hi lisa
many, many thanks for your helpful comments
warmest wishes

by mrsgumbah

Emma,
We are staying at the Rex which is a sister resort of the Papillon and it was our only choice through Apple Vacations. I have heard good and bad but mostly good about the Rex Resorts. It is on the best beach on St. Lucia. And, it is close to shopping and activities. When are you going? We are going 3-27-4-10 and I can hardly wait. Looking to meet up with people to share a catamaran with or a tour with Frank.
Nancy

hi there
Well this trip has been put on hold for now, as I won a 2 week vacation to greece, lucky me.Thanks for the replies though.

Comments