3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 85% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about St. Lucian by Rex Resorts

The Rex

by medicaljoe about Rex St. Lucian

We all stayed at the Rex St. Lucian which sits between the Rex Papillion and Rex Royal. These can be all inclusive trips however we decided not to. We all thought that it probably was a little cheaper not to. We all liked the hotel. The Royal had the best resturants and pool although we didn't use the pool there. The Papillion had a good pool as well. The staff were okay but not great. The food was on par with a 3 star resturant but no better than that. The rooms were also on a 3+ star level and we were in a delux room. However, they were kept very clean. The nightly entertainment was enjoyable. The view was the best part of the hotel. It sits in Rodney bay and the sand is soft and golden, the water warm, and had a great view. The consesus was that it was slightly overpriced for what it was overall. Not great but no bad flaws. It sits on a great beach and the has the most resturants surrounding it on the island. Our taxi driver told us that it is in the center of the best night life on the island. However, this is not that impressive. If you want nightlife St. Lucia is not the place for you. This is a more sporty/relaxing type of spot.

Not too busy!

by LisaMJ about Royal St Lucian

This hotel is part of Rex resorts, further up the beach is the Rex st Lucian and Papillon.

The Royal St Lucian is the best of all three, rated as about 4.5 star property depending on which brochure you look in.

The entrance is open air, large, marble everywhere with a central water feature.

Our room was a beachfront suite. There are only 8 of these rooms, which have a seperate lounge and bedroom, very big with high ceilings, bathroom, with shower with side jets.

The terrace is outstanding, about 20' x 13' I'd say, plenty of room to eat, drink, sunbathe, and a view to die for - over Reduit beach, but private enought that no-one on the beach can see you. The pool is great. A figure of eight. In one end is a mini waterfall, and greenery, in the other end is a swim up bar and pool cafe.

Vanessa and Dave manned the pool during our stay, and they were both great. So friendly, chatty, and great at making lethal cocktails!

There would also be a pool drinks service which was good.

As it was June, the hotel was dead - we would often have the pool to ourslves. By the way - we had 2 amazing weeks of weather in June despite the statistics of rainfall.

Sunsets

by LisaMJ

The tip is, get a rum punch, a comfy chair, and lie back and the sun slowly sink below the horizon.

Here is a partiluarly colourful sunset, snapped from our terrace at the Royal St Lucian Hotel, overlooking Rodney Bay.

I have wonderful memories of lying on one of the comfy loungers, glass of red wine in hand, watching this beautiful sunset.

Not what I expected . . .

We just returned yesterday from a week-stay at the Rex St. Lucian. To be honest, it was not what we expected.

Yes, the beach is BEAUTIFUL, and may be worth the trip itself. However, the hotel and service was far from 4-star. Our room was clean and the maid service was nice, but there were cockroaches on the ground floor (which we saw running down the hallway and one a a lady's hand.) When we expressed our concerns to the front desk, they seemed very unconcerned.

We were told by people in St. Lucia prior to our trip that this is the "dry season." Wrong. It rained EVERYDAY, at least three times a day. The good part is that as fast as the rain comes in, it usually goes out that fast. But get ready to make a mad dash from the beach to shelter!

The restaurant service was perhaps the most frustrating part of the hotel accomodations. We have visited several all-inclusives and are accustomed to buffet-style service. At the Rex, you must wait for your beverages to be brought to you. I averaged about 20 minutes per morning waiting for a cup of coffee, and if you went to the coffee pot yourself, you were yelled at (literaly, yelled at) by the staff. Also, you are always made to wait while they 'prepare' a table for you. The tables are never set, never cleared and the restaurant staff is never operating in an organized manner. Again, very frustrating. Furthermore, we did not have a pleasant experience with most of the staff, which was very disheartening as we always treat every person with the utmost respect and curtesy.

Also with respect to the inclusive plan, there was neverending confussion as to what was included and what was not. If you are used to a relaxing, "no need to worry about the wallet for a week" vacation, the Rex is not for you. Our motto for the week was "that costs extra." We heard that phrase so often that it became an on-going joke.

Please also note that male guests are treated far better than female guests, for whenever I asked for anything I was made to wait but if my husband did, he was taken seriously. I know it is a foreign and conservitive country and unlike the US, but it is also a bit frustrating when you are a paying guest.

If you do stay here, be sure to try the restaurants outside of the hotel. We dined at Capone's, which was WONDERFUL and Charthouse, which was pricy but good.

We did meet some wonderful people from England and Canada on our trip, which we are very thankful for.

Overall, the beach is WONDERFUL but the service and rain were VERY frustrating, so much so that we will probably not return to St. Lucia, nor to the Rex. St. Lucian. Please feel free to email me if you have any specific questions regarding St. Lucia or the Rex St. Lucian. I wish I could have emailed someone before our trip!

Just enjoy!

by TripAdvisor Member -Wildy-Things-

I've got to admit that having read loads of revies I had a confused outlook on the Rex St Lucian. Some review really slated the place and some mede it out to be the best thing since sliced bread. I guess I'm more toward the in favour side of the comments. The only real downer for me was the room. It was billed as a "superior" room but I would class it as basic. I guess this is largely down to the age of the property....30 yrs plus. The decor was old and jaded, and tatty. The A/C unit was mindblowingly noisy and the fixtures and fittings were below what I think is reasonable for what was advertsed.

Having said all that all the rest was great, (and after all I'm not on holiday to sleep). The general facilities were good, the staff excellent and attentive and the beach was great. From my perspective the beach sellers and locals were a real high point. Just talking to them was an education in what life is all about......just chill out and enjoy.

If you want to go somewhere absoloutly top notch then this isn't the place for you. If you want somewhere well priced, well focussed on customers and with a huge mix of cultures then get on and book it.

To those who complained!

I have just got back from the Rex St Lucian and had the most amazing time. With patio access from our large room straight onto the beach this was more then we were hoping for. To start with, our room was very clean and spacious. The d?cor was nice and simple with fresh towels supplied as and when we needed. The restaurant was over looking the beach and with regards to dressing formal for breakfast/lunch and dinner we did not find it a problem to throw something over out swimming costumes during the day. After all who wants to see people parading around in their trunks over lunch!! I saw no problems with the buffet regarding the quality of food and the level of service and truly do not understand some of the comments I have read about this. The staff where more then friendly, courteous and polite and made sure we had everything we needed and were satisfied. The beach was lovely, water sports were available whilst some where not free (those that require fuel for the boats/jet ski of course) but was more then sufficient for some fun in the sun. As for St Lucian, what a really beautiful island. Having been to Barbados and Grenada and comparing Caribbean islands only I truly think this is a wonderful place everyone must visit. Unfortunately I only had a week on this beautiful Island but from trekking in the rainforest to a secluded water fall, snorkeling, horse riding and visiting the drive through volcano and touring around the island I really got to see it's true beauty. Obviously there is a lot more to see and do which I plan to do when I go back next year but I truly can't comprehend someone visiting this island and not to be swept of their feet by it's sheer beauty and friendless of the local people. Please note this is a Caribbean island thus it will have windy roads and pot holes!!! It does take an hour and half to get to this hotel from the airport but in relation to what you will experience once your there this will become totally irrelevant. For those people who's comments I read and feel are a bit too trivia or simply just plain silly, did you really open your eyes to see what was around you or just to busy complaining? I myself never got to experience the crack in the pool (comment read), as I was too occupied enjoining my time on the beach. The way I see it, if you want a 5 star hotel then I suggest you book one! Your on holiday to enjoy something different and possibly a different way of life then your used to, so treat people as you want to be treated and I'm sure they will treat you the same. St Lucia is a wonderful place to visit and being a seasonally traveler the St Lucian Rex one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in!!!!

Made my life

Having visited St Lucia on several occasions and staying in private Villa's, my girlfriend and i decided that this was the place we were going to marry. We stayed at the Rex for 2 weeks from 2-16 july '02 and booked everything over the phone...the cake.the video,steel band,photographer,food, drinks,flowers etc etc..We were greated on arrival with champagne breakfast and from that moment the holiday/honeymoon just got better. like a lot of people we went on a RO basis and would advise anyone else to do this also. The staff were polite,friendly and courteous at all times. we sat and drank cocktails on the deck built over the beach just watching the sun go down every night before heading off to the local bars . Limes, Triangle spinackers etc.. and ate most nights at our favorite restaurant The Charthouse, where the food is superb.Back to the hotel though, good pool with whirpool at the end, great service ,increddibly clean, a central parade with art gallery,ice cream parlour and lots of other shops , and even its own vendors market where you can haggle for souvenirs.Just in front of the hotel sat on the beach is a little shack bar with reggae music and cocktails where you can sit and just take a load off. watersports are available at very decent rates and there are numerous island trips available (of which we have tried most) the most memorable of which was sailing on the Brig unicorn, which is a restored spanish galleon. I haven't even got started on the lvl of attention they gave to our wedding arrangement. Needless to say it went as smooth as our new baby's bottom. anyone who writes in and slates this hotel/resort/island has either nothing better to do, has had a fluke bad trip or has not bothered to discover what a wonderfull island St Lucia really is. i have been back to the island oncesince my stay at the Rex and we are going back for our 2nd anniversary this year to stay there again. To sum up. Relax and enjoy the friendliness of the island. soak up the rays and take a load off. the most memorable 2 weeks holiday ever.

Lovely place for a break

by TripAdvisor Member Droggs

Before I visited this resort I had read the various reviews on these pages and as a result I was a bit wary of what was ahead of me. I needn't have been. This is an excellent resort with clean rooms, friendly staff and good food. Having re-read some of the reviews again before writing this it is amazing that some people ever venture over their own doorstep. Admittedly the hotel has seen better days but it is kept clean at all times. The staff are very friendly and extremely helpfull. Nothing is too much trouble. Rating 3star plus. The food is very good with a good and varied slection however if it is Fish & Chips, Burger and Fries or Pizza and Fries, you are wasting your time coming here. There are plenty of watersport activities at the hotel but other activities are a bit limited, so if you have children there are probably other hotels more suitable. If, however, you just want to relax and chill out then this is your place. The area around the hotel has several bars, clubs and restaurants plus a few shops and a supermarket in easy reach and, of course, the superb beach and views.
Finally, there is one drawback and that is the journey between the hotel and the airport. On a good day it takes at least 90 minutes on very bumpy bendy roads, in cabs whose suspension has seen better days.
All in all we had a great time on a lovely island.

Snorkelling at Anse Chastenet

by SMeeds

Anse Chastenet is often named as the best site for snorkelling and diving in St Lucia. It is the base for Scuba St Lucia. We snorkelled with them as part of a trip package which took us from our hotel, the Rex St Lucian, in the North West of the island to Castires by mini bus and on from there to Anse Chastenet by fast boat.

The snorkelling area stretches from the cliff over beyond the wall, where the divers do their thing.

A Trumpet Fish on Fan coral.

Near the outer edge of the snorkelling area there are Barracudas swimming near the surface.

The trip also included hire of snorkelling equipment and a locker for our own gear. This was the first time I used the underwater housing for my digital camera.

At Anse Chastenet they cater very well for novice snorkellers. There is an area of reef under the cliff which is bounded by a buoyed rope.

These are Sergeant-Majors.

St. Lucis Adventure

by Kimbie71

I spend five nights in St. Lucia and wanted to move here but I still have not done so. We stayed in Gros Islet which is about five minutes drive time from Castries(the capital). We stayed at the Rex St. Lucian resort and it was very nice and the food was wondeful. One night we ate outside the resort at the Charthouse and that was exceptional because of the food and atmosphere. You must eat here if you are ever in St. Lucia. We traveled through the rain forests and ate bananas. My favorite thing on this trip was snorkeling at the Maria Islands. We took a tour with Trim Tours. Trim Tours is owned and operated by Tom Trim and was the best tour guide I have had. You must look him up if ever on the island or go to his website. The maria islands is made up of two small islands:Maria major and Maria minor. We were on Maria major.

Castries marketCastries market

Sulphur Soap

by cpreston123

How do I go about purchasing Sulphur Soap. I have been to St. Lucia and I expect to return,but for now I would like to purchase the Sulphur Soap and some of the sauces.

Hmmm, interesting.
Have no idea, however, I would suggest that you send an E-Mail to my pals at Scuba Steve. I am sure they will point you in the right direction. Steve and his wife Shirley are great people. Since you are returning to St. Lucia, they are the best at any ground arrangements you may need. You may already know them since you have been on the island already, Good Luck.....d:o)

by leics

list sulphur Soap and if you click 'St Lucia' you'll find sauces etc too. Have never used them so cannot give personal recommendation.

And there is a St Lucia-based soap company selling online here;

Their sulphur soap is 4.98USD.

by leics

Possibly not considered a travel question?

Who knows? :-)

by Odinnthor

Absolutely the sauces are edible. The Caribbean is very rich in "sauces". I think that you may mot be used to calling condiments, sauce. They call ketchup a sauce. Still, the words in US "hot sauce" is from that particular dialect.

Being a big fan of Caribbean Jamaican and St. Lucian sauses, I am sure they have nothing to do with "massage".

Although not my favorite Barons from St. Lucia is a well known brand. Look:

Caribbean soaps are also a popular item, and the Volcano/Sulphur soap is well known. It is similar to the Blue Lagoon beauty products from Iceland.

by leics

We do have condiment 'sauces', Erik: tomato, brown, apple, 'hot', soy....

I think it's desiring both soap and sauces which intrigues.....but the first site I gave sells both anyway. :-)

by Odinnthor

Very true J. I found Barons sauces on that site. I cook with Jamaican jerk sauce all the time......often make my own with Jerk base.

by Odinnthor

Yeah B. I kinda figured that........d:o)

Can someone prove me wrong ?

by Dewy111

Stayed at Secrets Excellence, Punta Cana in Jan/04.
Although i'm not an experienced traveller, I'm thinking there's not a place around that can compare to this place. Planning a trip (all incl) Jan/05, can anybody suggest a place that could even come close to this place ? Adults Only would be what I'm looking for, to make your job even tougher.
Many thanks !!!

www.NeckerIsland.com

by YVRDave

Paula, this is about travel

by YVRDave

Oh I see now. Well thats about travel to, just not my type either.

by zizkov

Assuming you are taking 'adults only' as 'no kids' and not how some people might take it ;-) you might consider the Melia Cayo Coco in Cuba. Not been wealthy enough to go myself (yet) but it looks really good and I've stayed in other Melia hotels in Europe that have been excellent. There are other SolMelia hotels in Cuba but I think this is the only adults only one - www.solmelia.com

by gcmm

Seems like a nice place. tough one but try Sandels Saint lucia....
There are Three there. They even have a stay at one play at three program...Sandels regency is top of the line...and so is Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort...
Saint lucia is also a fantastic island...
Any questions please ask.
Greg

by gcmm

here are some links..

Greg

by Dewy111

What I mean by "Adults Only" is just that.
Wife does daycare for a living and just wants a break from them for a week. I'm too old for anything else, just want a relaxing good time. I'm fully aware this site is not like that.
Thanks for the advice though !

by islandjim

Have I got the place for you.

CLUB MED TURKOISE

Setting in the islands of Turks and Caicos, this adult club offers everything uyou could possibly want. Diving, Snorkeling, Sailing, Swimming, Circus, and many other things. It is all inclusive and NO KIDS! The shows at night are focused more to an adult crowd. The pool and beach will have more topless than a family resort, but thats okay with me. We frequent this resort and reccommend it highly. There are some very good deals available. We just returned and had agreat time as usual. You can check out my reports right here in Virtual Torist. Give it a try, you'll really enjoy it.
Jim