Rodney Bay Lot B, Gros Islet, 9999, LC

Costs 97% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about BAY GARDENS BEACH RESORT

Beautiful Island & Great Resort

by TripAdvisor Member ZoomZoomTO

Our stay at the Bay Gardens Beach Resort was out of this world! I highly recommend it to anyone wishing to forget about the daily grind and escape to a truly beautiful island.

The hotel itself is beautiful: brand new, decorated with taste, and full of colour and light. The staff were very knowledgeable and always willing to assist. They even called to ask if our suite was OK – and it was perfect! We stayed in a spacious one bed-room suite facing the pool. We had an awesome view of the sea and neighbouring mountain. We indulged in local cuisine, but also enjoyed several delightful meals at the Hi Tide Restaurant. You can order your meals while relaxing by the pool, or dress up for a candle lit dinner. They also have a really nice buffet style brunch on Sundays.

After a couple of days of relaxing on the beach we were ready to explore the island. We went on a day-tour to Soufriere where we walked around the volcano crater dipped our feet into the Sulphur Spring baths – hot! We visited the Diamond Waterfall and botanical gardens and were captivated by the Piton’s all the way. We returned to the resort on a catamaran to face the setting sun on the beach.

We also went on our own excursion to Pigon Island – just minutes away by boat or cab and so worth it. The view from the top is breathtaking – on a clear (and most of them are clear) you can see Martinique to the North!

In truth , we absolutely fell in love with St. Lucia and will definitely be back.

Good hotel, good location, good staff!

by TripAdvisor Member johnogate

We returned from the Bay Gardens Beach Resort on 6th February after a thoroughly enjoyable 1 week stay. We booked an all-inclusive package and found the quality and choice of food in the beach front restaurant to be very good; my wife doesn’t eat red meat and was very pleased with the varied menu choice of fresh sea food and vegetables. (The red and rosé wines from Chile were very good by the way and they also had a nice dry white.) I think a great part of the enjoyment is the beach front location of the restaurant and eating in the fresh air with the warm Caribbean breeze wafting over you adds greatly to the atmosphere. There is a second restaurant due to be completed very shortly so that will enhance the choice even more.

The hotel is very new and is architecturally very attractive in appearance being constructed in a sort of British Colonial Georgian Plantation style hybrid; it has a cool Caribbean kind of elegance. We found all of the staff to be very friendly and attentive; we certainly noticed members of the hotel management team walking the job to ensure this was so and they often enquired directly as to whether everything was in order as far as we were concerned. I think making eye contact with a friendly smile helps anyway and people respond to it.

We had a large, very clean room with 2 huge beds in it directly overlooking the beach; when they say beach front they certainly mean it as I think you can see from one of the photos. The sound of the waves at night lapping onto the beach just a few yards away was very soporific.

The hotel is westward facing and is situated at the extreme north end of Reduit Beach which is about ¾ mile long and enjoys some lovely sunsets. All we really needed was a week of rest and relaxation in the sun with a good book on the beach and this hotel certainly delivers that. We were never really bothered with the very few beach traders and a polite, friendly response “Good morning but no thanks” suffices; in any event the hotel issues distinctive orange beach towels and they seem to understand this especially since the hotel security blokes are always hovering close by making sure that no one else uses the sun loungers. So the main target of the beach traders we saw seemed to be passengers from the cruise ships which dock in the nearby capital of Castries who sunbathe or promenade up and down Reduit Beach before returning to their ships in the afternoon; if you like people watching this is a great place although it was never over-crowded on all 7 days we were there because, I think, of its location at one extreme end of the beach. However, The Fruit Man in his little boat bedecked with the flags of all nations was a charming daily visitor. “Mangoes, Pineapples, Bananas, Coconuts – de fruit man he got dem all!”

Just a few things to be aware of. There was a very good shower in our room but no bath tub. The only rooms that have bath tubs are the suites, so if that’s important to you enquire beforehand. Secondly, there was a hair dryer in the bathroom but my wife also uses hair straighteners. The bathroom shaver sockets aren’t designed to carry that sort of load and there are no mirrors near the power sockets in the bedrooms. The hotel management are aware of this and are looking at correcting it. The hotel tends to be quiet in the evening although there were 2 entertainment nights during the week; however there are other bars, restaurants and entertainments a short safe walk away.

Finally, the nearby Pigeon Island national park is well worth a visit with an entrance fee of only £2.50 GBP ($5.00 USD) and it has its own quiet little beach with sun loungers. Also, the Friday night “Jump Up” street party in Gros Islet which is only a 5 minute taxi ride away is quite a hoot!

We LOVED BGBR

by TripAdvisor Member Mousie206

On the day we returned from our 8-day stay we attempted to book another trip in November - that's how much we loved it. St. Lucia has become my favorite island and BGBR was top notch. I have always been a Marriott snob and this has changed my view of all resorts.

Our one and only complaint was the view from our room.

Upon our early arrival (12 PM) Jackie at the front desk greeted us and introduced herself to each of us with a handshake. We asked if we could have a beach or pool view. Jackie very nicely told us that the resort was full and switching people around was not possible. She stated that we had a lobby view. What she didn't mention was the lobby view was from the front door and not the balcony. The balcony looked out over a vacant lot with storage units. I believe this is where the 2nd restuarant will be located as construction workers were in and out all day. However, I did not feel comfotable sitting on the balcony with strange men walking by all day. Also the balcony could easily be seen from the street. Later in the week we heard people on the beach saying that they had been upgraded to a beach view. But this was the ONLY downfall to the trip.

After we checked in Desmond stored our luggage and showed us around the resort. We did not expect the room to be ready since we were so early but Jackie called housekeeping to tell them we had arrived and then came to find us when the room was ready.

The room was spacious. The bathroom was luxurient. We had none of the plumbing issues mentioned by other reviewers. The kitchen was missing some supplies but someone came by to take stock while we were there and immediately replaced what was missing. We also found the complimentary robe and slippers to be a nice touch.

Housekeeping was spotty the first 3 days - no clean beach towels, no new shampoo. But the rest of the week was fine.

The beach was beautiful. BGBR supplies lounge chairs and some huts. There are trees on the beach and plenty of shade so you do not need to claim your hut at 8 AM like at other resorts. The beach is public but the chairs are reserved for resort people and security will question you if they don't recognize you. Also, the beach wasn't overcrowded like it is just a few feet past the BGBR proprty line.

There was visible security on the beach at all times which I liked. There were very few beach vendors in comparison to other islands and if you are reading they don't bother you. However, if you do acknowledge them they will sit on your chair and not leave. If security notices they will come over and get rid of them for you.

The best meal I had on the entire island is from a shack on the beach. It is right in between Hi-Tide and Spinnakers and run by a local woman. The menu changes slightly each day but it's fried chicken/fish, rotis, bakes (fried dough cakes) and creole sauce. You can get 2 heaping plates of food (comes with rice & beans and salad) and Piton for $12 US. We ate there almost every day and it is way better than the BGBR restaurant. (A side not if that if men go to the shack they get bombarded by drug dealers. Women seem to get left alone. But it's worth it.)

I didn't use the pool much b/c I found it to be colder than the sea. But it was ok - could do without the fountains. The umbrellas were only at the tables and there weren't any for the lounge chairs.

I order lattes from the lo-tide deli every day from our beach waiter (Kendall). I never had a problem with the delivery time or his service.

We ate 2x at the high tide restaurant. Once was the Sunday brunch buffet for $27 per person. While the staff was friendly and attentive the food was not worth it. The selection was not that good and the food was not kept warm enough. I was a little concerned about food poisoning at one point. The second time we came off the beach for lunch. First off there 2 menus - one for the restaurant and one for the deli (paninis/burgers/etc). You have to ask for the deli menu. We ordered 2 paninis and after an hour still had not gotten them. No one paid attention to us - even to refill the water. We got up and walked out and then they noticed us. We said it was too late and went back to the beach. I have found all resort restaurants to be like this so I am not surprised.

Throughout the trip Jackie was always available to answer questions. There was always a lot of security at the entrance at night which I liked and the front desk never had problem calling us a taxi. I had read reviews that said the internet is free - it is not.

The resort is walking distance from a supermarket, mini-mart and a lot of restaurants.

We absolutely loved BGBR and will return again and again.

Great Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member Jon39

Great location on best part of beach. New resort with well appointed and very comfortable rooms. Was a little worried abut service, given some comments on this site, but we found staff very helpful and friendly, especially with our two young children. Worth noting that eating in the hotel (food is good) is actually cheaper than many of the nearby restaurants.

Right on the beach

by TripAdvisor Member jillrich

We stayed in this lovely hotel for 3 weeks in December 2007. Our room was a suite on the top floor overlooking the beach and the bay. The facilities were excellent, we had a huge bed and there was always enough hot water, and plenty of towels, including beach towels. The staff were fantastic, very friendly and always helpful. The food was good, the breakfast buffet excellent. The hotel is right on the beach so we fell asleep to the sounds of the surf and woke up to early morning swimming.

There are lots of restaurants in the vicintiy so we did not have to eat in the hotel all the time.

St Lucia is a beautiful island and deserves to be explored.

Ideas for a 30ish sisters beach trip. One single, one married.

by amy11

Looking for a resort style, relaxing, lay on the beach by day and a bit of night lift for my single sister. Not a bunch of binge drinking collage age kids kind of night life though. Any ideas?

by aerbare

I very much agree w/Anguilla. This is going to sound stupid, but I've not yet been. I've done a TON of reasearch into going and we actually decided on somewhere else and it had nothign to do with the beauty of Anguilla. The only issue I had with Anguilla was the timing of the flights. I was just not willing to leave my house at 4am and not get in until 9pm. From what I've read it's very laid-back, safe, and there is a lot going on w/out being crazy busy. Each section/town has it's own draw. I think you'd like something on the mid-west coast and south-west. Have a nice time!

by asahelys1

I like your sense of Humor!! & just to let you know is Anguilla!!!! LOL

by asahelys1

Depending on where you're flying from, I would also suggest Barbados, ST Martin (french side), now if you want something on the less expensive side, try Dominican Republic, Bahamas. Jamaica definitely NOT!

by bajangirl

You will not be disappointed with Anguilla. The problems are deciding which fab beach to spend the day on as there are so man and, which great restaurant to eat at and not put on 50 pounds. However, there are lots of other choices if flights aren't convenient. St Lucia is another good choice - check out the new Bay Gardens Beach Resort on the beach in Rodney Bay - walk to everything. Barbados is another option - Southern Palms is on the beach and walk to everything, Almond Beach Resort is AI and on the beach.
Enjoy!