P.O. Box 225, Soufriere, St. Lucia, Caribbean

Costs 37% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Ladera Resort

High-end camping

by aort about "Ladera" Resort

Photographs don't do it justice and neither does the website. Imagine a two story suite with only three walls, the one missing looks out to a valley and a bay nestled between "the Pitons". Not for the faint at heart. We were visited by insects, occasional bats as well as lizards and little frogs. There is a mosquito net over the bed though.
There are no telephones or TVs in rooms, no room service either. I knocked on the kitchen door every morning and took a tray with coffee back to my suite. The view!!!
Not a five star hotel - and it's a compliment.

Ladera St. Lucia--what a joke!

Since we love the Caribbean and have the means, we try to stay at most of the exclusive and unique hotels. I can provide the opinion that Ladera is for those who are complete eco-tourists/nature lovers. This is not a luxury HOTEL (restaraunt is) but rather an out in the wilderness experience. Neat, but way to quirky--You can get the same experience camping out or hiking to get the flavor. Views are terrific, but they are just as good at Jalousie. Honey mooners that want perfection with no aggrevation, PLEASE do not be fooled by some of the reviews by people who suggest this place is for honeymoons--it is most definately NOT! Humidity, heat in the summer months, rain, endless bugs, below par accomodations such as bed, bathroom, etc will await you. Nothing else to do beside Ladera for dinner. Must be taken to the beahc. Hands down, try the Hilton--The two hotels are not even on the same level (ladera being 1, Hilton being 10.)

nice view

by Erin09340 about Ladera Resort Restaurant

The restaurant at the Ladera Resort serves delicious food. It's very expensive, but you pay for the view and location, as well as your meal. We only ate lunch here and we enjoyed it.

Located between the Pitons - Beautiful Open-air

by EileenK516 about Ladera

We ate lunch at Ladera Resort located in Soufriere, St. Lucia.
The food was excellent (see more info on this restaurant in my Must-See Activities page.
This picture is of me, my boyfriend Bob and our cab driver/tour guide Eso, overlooking the grand piton on the left and the petite piton on the right. It was taken from the balcony of the open air restaurant bar area.

Climb the Gros Piton

by laurenkjones

Climbing the Gros Piton, the taller and southern of the 2 pitons, was the most excting and rewarding thing we did on St. Lucia. The hike takes on average 4 hours, 2 hours up and 2 hours down. It is a difficult hike and you should be in good shape to enjoy it. The piton rises to 2,600 ft. and you will climb most of that. You can set up a tour at one of the local hotels or you can do it as we did it - we just drove there and found it ourselves. When heading south out of Soufriere ( towards the volcano and sulfer springs) continue on that road, past the famous Ladera resort, on your right. Continue driving - On your right hand side you will see a small green sign saying, "Gros Piton Nature Trail" , and a road leading down.( Just ahead on the main road is a big pink house, you can also keep and eye out for this). Take the road to the piton. This is a poor road, make sure that you are driving a 4 x 4. When you reach the end you will be at a small village. Head into the visitors center and there you will find a giude to take you up the piton. The cost for the guide is around $25 US per person or $65 EC. It is also reccomended that you tip your guide at the end of your trip. Whether you book a tour group or Arrive there on your own, you will have to pay for a guide, so why not save a few bucks.

Just Do it!!

Ladera…an experience that we will never forget. For those of you that are thinking about going to Ladera, don’t think about it just do it! It is one of the most incredible adventures that you will ever experience; however, that being said you must be the right frame of mind to get the most from Ladera. If you require your bed turned down at night and chocolates on your pillow then stay away. Ladera is not for you. Ladera is about providing you with the opportunity to spend time with the people that you love, unhindered by the distractions of the modern world and being at one with nature. Ladera is about the simple pleasures in life that we forget all too often. Yes there are bugs, little lizards and birds that sing you awake in the morning and loud tree frogs that bellow all night long….but that is what we wanted and expected when we decided to get married at Ladera. If you are looking for a resort where the staff and management are genuine, friendly then Ladera is for you…no pretense here I am afraid. Just good hearted people willing to do the utmost to make your vacation the best they can offer. The views are second to none, the accommodations are rustic elegant and the food is fantastic, fresh and authentic! If you like fresh “local” juices with your full on breakfast, tasty lunch menus and creative Caribbean dinner menu’s using the finest of ingredients then staying at Ladera and eating at Dasheene is for you. For those of you out there who read ‘negative’ reviews about ladera they are from people who have no idea, have done zero research about Ladera and who went to ladera expecting it to be like other 5 Star resorts…. It is not…it is much better.
Simply put, it is the closest we have come to experiencing Paradise. You will leave rested, rejuvenated and with tears in your eyes having experienced one of the most unique resorts in the world.

Mr & Mrs Mckinnon

I have never so much exaggeration

Without bashing anyone's opinion, I will tell you that Ladera is the biggest disappointment I have had. If you are looking for the equivalent of a luxury camping experience, Ladera is FOR YOU. If not, then head to the Jalousie Hilton. There is NO COMPARISON between these 2 properties as we found out on a recent trip. Ladera had a wonderful service staff but they couldn't make up for the inadequecies of the room itself. Bugs, tiny frogs, and humidity were seemingly always present in the room and the pool was filled with bugs every day. DO NOT LEAVE ANY LIGHT ON AT NIGHT as the bugs went right to it. If you want the best in a camping experience, Ladera is the place. If you are looking for a luxury romantic vacation, I would suggest you check out the Hilton.

paradise

My husband and I honeymooned at Ladera over the Christmas holiday in 2003. The views, of course, are the selling point, but the service was also amazing. I've stayed at many top-notch resorts but never encountered friendlier, more helpful staff. The onsite restaurant, Dasheene, is also just wonderful. Those who dislike the sights and sounds of nature -- including birdsong, tiny frogs in your bathroom, and the occasional in-room windstorm -- might prefer the Hilton down the hill, but if you want to actual live this gorgeous view among very gracious native staffers, Ladera is heaven on earth.

recent changes-not in order anymore

My wife and I have just returned from our second visit to Ladera. We loved it the first time around. This time the place looked tired, but more seriously, the staff were unhappy and unfriendly.

The story we picked up, is that the very popular manager who had been there for seven years, has just left. No one is really in charge and "care-takers" come and go.

A big difference form the first time we were there.

We can no longer recommend Ladera.

The view was as beautiful as ever. Stay somewhere else, and come up for a drink. (If you ever get served)

Laders v. Hilton

by TripAdvisor Member JeffandTrina

We have stayed at both the Hilton and Ladera, and as some people suggest, there really is no comparison. We thought Ladera was approximately a zillion times better than the Hilton.

The problem comparing these two properties, though, is that they are, to some extent, opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't like tourists. I don't want children around during my vacation. I care most about views, uniqueness and solitude. I don't mind bugs in my room, I think geckos are cool. My idea of a perfect evening is sitting in the Dasheene bar, drinking a Piton and watching the cruise ships pass between the Pitons.

The Hilton is a classic all-inclusive type resort that happens to be in a very beautiful setting. It is a great place, and if that is what you like, you should stay there.

I am constantly amazed by the consistency of those who do not like Ladera. I can tell you what their reviews will have in common: (1) Bugs/lizards in the room; (2) humidity; and (3) Nothing to do but great views. I agree, those are potential negatives to Ladera. My question, though, is: Did you do any research at all before going? It isn't like Ladera is hiding the fact that all rooms are open air, they are at 1100 feet and you have to take a cab or shuttle everywhere. If these things are big turn offs, stay at the Hilton. Some of these reviews are like people going to Vegas and complaining about all the bars and casinos.

Ladera resort with the petite piton in backgroundLadera resort with the petite piton in background

Resort for 26 year-olds Honeymoon HELP

by Goopy

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find the perfect all-inclusive resort in St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Here's my problem: We want something that is somewhat secluded and very photogenic like Ladera, but we also want something with a great nightlife and not too far from the main attractions. We want to be able to socialize a little and not be alone in the resort after 10pm. Although Sandals would seem like the perfect fit, it's simply too mainstream or popular for us. Not to mention, we want a room that has more too it than a nice hotel room. We have a pretty big budget to work with.

Please help ASAP.

by Odinnthor

Congratulations are in order eh?? Well. you are in my domain now....d:o)

There are two such places I can personally recommend. The Ti Kaye and the Calabash Cove. I prefer the Ti Kaye as it s a place lovingly put together by a nice family. I have recommended it before to honeymooners, and they were in heaven.

Sandals is a Sandals is a Sandals. They are all the same and generic. As honeymooners, the Ti Kaye will definately make your trip memorable.

Now, here is a website that will inform you about all there is to do and see, done by another family of enthusiasts, - Scuba Steve, and his lovely wife Shirley. They are technically a scuba diving place, and as such it is great, - but they can do almost anything that you may like to do while in St. Lucia.

The island of the Caribbean were my stomping ground for a long time and I frequently go back, and will likely end there eventually.

Have a great honeymoon folks.......d:o)

by Odinnthor

....sorry, I just noticed that you want an AI, (all inclusicve). Oh well, cannot help you much there. Not a big fan of AIs as they just tend to be generic. Sandals is as good as any of them frankly. These are likely less so.

The St. James Club at Morgan Bay (it is a Elite Islands Resort), and The Body Holiday at LeSport.....

I still would recommend an alternative to an AI, but that's just me. Good luck!

by Matt420

My wife and I were married at the Jalousie and have nothing but good memories/pictures and comments about it. It's AI and secluded.

by anneb49

try Rendezvous, its AI and really nice for couples, look up reviews on trip advisor.

Costa Rica vs St Lucia Or a cruise???

by Lemonsky

Hi There,

Me and my husband will be traveling Oct2-12. After researching Costa for sometime, I am very uncertain of the time. Since it will be the "rainy" season. Will it be a washout... Should we consider St Lucia or a cruise?

Any comments would be great.

I want to visit badly, but dont want to be in my room the whole time.

Also any comments on the Tabacon Resort, Ladera Resort, and the Anse Chastanet resort??

Thanks!

Re: Costa Rica vs St Lucia Or a cruise???

by TempNomad

Costa Rica would never be a wash-out. If you take a look at my pictures of the volcanoes and other sites in CR, almost all of them were taken in October and November of 2001. A few were taken in August of 2002 (Chirripo). You can see that it's not always raining! The rain is very predictable, although it can affect some travel.

Don't rule CR out for its weather!!

Comments