3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Coconut Bay Resort And Spa - All Inclusive

Recommend Coconut Bay

by TripAdvisor Member nastarskier

Our family of 4 spent 9 days at Coconut Bay from April 15th thru April 24th. My wife, I and our two boys (ages 11 & 9) had a very enjoyable time and will return if the prices to not increase too much once all the work is completed. We, like everyone we spoke to, got a deal to stay at Coconut Bay as they try to market the new location.
We spent time everyday snokeling, swimming, playing in the waterpark, playing tennis, participating in the organized activities and just lazying about on the grounds or going on tours of the island (and one tour to the Grenadines). At night the evening shows were good and always just enough to keep us occupied until the four of us apssed out from exhaustion.
We enjoyed each day with only a few minor disappointments. We did have a couple of less than acceptable meals (but these were the expception versus the rule and I've had the same experience at every all-inclusive that I've gone to) and one of our tours to the Pitons was overprices.
The room was stellar, clean, of good size with all new furniture (regarding the negative pictures posted a couple of reviews ago - the photos are misleading as they do not show the positives of the resort. I did not see anyone uncompleted lights in key common areas or rooms and the yellow tape really was not an issue as it was in areas where we did not need to go anyway). If you take the time to walk the full property (or jog it as I did most mornings) you'll see where future expansion will/could occur. There is an old go cart track they are thinking of reopening, an old achery site, a golf driving range and I understand a golf course and another hotel site may be in the future plans.
We enjoyed the snorkling as did everyone we spoke to that went out to the reefs. There a number of reefs just off the property and take the time to find them. The water was not too rough to swim in - NOTE BRING YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT. Also for some good body surfing walk down the beach to Sandy Beach (or take a quick taxi ride) which is where the Mistral Windsurf School is.
All the staff was friendly, however many of them are new to the hospitality business plus remember this is the caribbean so people do not move at North American speed and do not expect them to.
All in all we had a good time, yes the property is still being developed, but we got a deal to stay there and enough facilities were open to keep the four of us happy for 9 days. DO NOT GO IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A PARTY, this is a slower resort which I would recommend to people looking for a quite time or to families.
By the way, if you have the time and money go on the tour of the grenadines. You will have to leave the hotel at about 5:30am and not get back till that night but it was a great outing if you like snorkling.

St Lucia's atlantic coast hideaway

by autumnshamrock about Coconut bay resort and spa

We had a great stay, there were plenty of activities to do. It had plenty of choice for food as well as 4 bars. all rooms are ocean view. The downside was the only bar that had stools was the pool bar and the seaweed. Great pools and water park, with slides and lazy river

Good for a Fat Camp

There were some nice things about Coconut Bay but I cannot turn a blind eye to exposed wires and poor quality and selection of food. I must concur with a previous reviewer who complained about the coffee situation. Having your cup filled before consuming your "hearty" breakfast (she said in jest..) was a major feat. A refill would be like hitting the lotto. While it is true that the staff greets all with smiles, I have come to consider that maybe, before each new arrival, they are actually laughing. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money for a better rated hotel.

Fresh new resort

by TripAdvisor Member firefly30

I have noticed not many,if any at all, review's from the uk.I visited the coconut bay on the 27th April to inspect the property ,as i am proposing to bring back an incentive group next year.I spent the day their, although i did to stay over night,i wish i had.We were staying at jalousie hilton & that place really, really needs the refurb that the coconut has nearly completed.We were greated on arrival by Marc the general manager & Bridgette the sales manager .We toured the resort all warts & all,sure they have had teathing problems.. tell me a new business that does not !!!the hole place was Fresh & Airy with vibrant Carribean Colours.The rooms were large,Clean with views to die for.Fantastic pools & i definately saw a very very long beach & i believe their is a world rated Mistral Windsurfing beach in the next bay.Lunch was taken in the Main Restaurant,it was buffet style with waiters serving drinks.Choice was good,i had the local delicasy conch.The restaurant was prestinely clean.I did not have the chance to eat the the Italien or the Oriental but i got the opportunity to ask other guests who spoke very highly of both venue's.Marc had imformed me the have imported a Chef from Thailand ... impresive.All in All i have decided to return next May with my small group... maybe i see you there ??

Great time!!

by TripAdvisor Member KarenL1718

My boyfriend and I visited Coconut Bay Resort and Spa from 4/30/05-5/5/05. We were very nervous after all of the negative reviews but were very pleasantly surprised. We had such a great time!

CHECK IN: The staff at the front desk were very friendly. She checked us in and then went to make sure our room was ready. While we were waiting, the bartender motioned us over and got us both drinks and welcomed us. Everyone was so friendly.

ROOMS: The rooms are very spacious. Ours had a king sized bed, a couch, a chair, a small table, a desk next to the bed and a dresser that had the tv on it. We had no problems with fluctuating water temperatures in the shower and the A/C worked great the whole time. There are safes in the room and you can set up your own PIN number to use them. There was also two large closets.

POOLS: The pools were great. The one with the bar had a lot of little tables in the water and places to sit around the edge, kind of like benches but in the water and up against the side. There was some sand in places on the floor of the pool but it didn't bother us at all. We also went on the lazy river which was very relaxing. We didn't do the waterslides but heard they were really fun.

FOOD: We only ate breakfast a couple times but it was excellent. There wasn't a lot of fruit but we had heard the local fruit wasn't in season yet. We only ate lunch twice in the buffet because we were kind of disappointed with the options. We just went to the Beach Grill and had cheeseburgers and fries or chicken. Then we would head over to the buffet for desert. Dinner was very good. There was always a good amount to choose from, salads, soup, rolls, and of course the main meals and deserts. We went to Bellagio, the Italian restaurant which we both really liked. The menus are somewhat small but I am a pretty picky eater and I still loved it. Overall, the food was good. If you couldn't find anything you liked, which never really happened for us, then you would go to the beach grill.

BAR: Everyone says the drinks at the bars were limited. My boyfriend and I never had problems getting what we wanted. There was a drink menu with 8 or so drinks on it but they also had other drinks such as margaritas and the local beer. The bartenders were great. They were so friendly and had a great sense of humor.

BEACH: We were a little disappointed with the beach. The only other caribbean location we have been to is Punta Cana is the Domincan. Directly in front of the hotel, the water is not that pretty blue you see elsewhere. Everyday, pretty much all day, we saw people raking up seaweed and seagrass. They tried so hard but it was an endless job. If you walk down to the right a little bit the water is much better. The beach was still beautiful but not what we saw on the resort website.

STAFF: VERY FRIENDLY. Some of the nicest people. The sad part is that some people go on vacation without engaging with the hotel employees as human beings. They are very interesting and admirable people.

TOURS: We took 2 trips: One to Soufriere and one to the rainforest. We took a taxi for both of them and I am so glad that we did. He was a great guy and taught us a lot about the island. His name is Dickson and if anyone wants his e-mail or phone number, you can e-mail me at KarenL1718@aol.com. The trip to the rainforest was amazing. The tour guide was very knowledgable and we saw a couple of lizards and some really cool birds. It did start pouring rain on our way out but it was very refreshing. Make sure you wear sneakers! The trip to Soufriere was just as cool. We went to the sulpher volcano and the botanical gardens. There were a lot of humming birds in the gardens which were beautiful. We stopped at the Steel Hotel/Plantation on the way back to a drink and a bite to eat. Again, the people were all very nice and went out of their way to great us.

WEATHER: Don't pay attention to the forecasts on the internet. Ours said rain everyday and it only rained once. The temperature probably is 90 degress as it says but there is such a strong, cool breeze that it feels (in the shade) like 75 degrees. It is beautiful.

OVERALL: We had a great time. The hotel exceeded our expectations and I would give ANYTHING to be back there right now!! If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Had an enjoyable time

Here is my assessment. The resort is 4 to 5 minutes from the airport, so you vacation starts right away. I stayed at the resort from April 29th through May 7th and had a good time. The resort is clean, people are friendly, and things are getting better every day. I will definitely go back again.
The places that are not opened are: The sauna and steam room, but messages are available. The gym is a bit lonely but I went in alone every day and felt safe since there is security around. The food is not in abundance but it is good for a three star resort, and getting better every day. They do have fruit now for breakfast, and sometimes for dessert at dinner. The Italian restaurant has better food than the Asian, but ensure that you make a reservation in the morning for that night. The beach is definitely not nice, and I never went in because of the seaweed, but I enjoyed the pool. I visited the children’s club, and it is delightful for young children. The drinks are not in abundance, and it is true that they have about 12 to 15 bottles mostly of local drinks, but the mixed drinks that they provide are okay, and plentiful. The gift shop is now open, and I bought a few souvenirs there. They are still expecting more merchandise to fill the shelves. Note: It is better to buy souvenirs before you get to the airport, because at the airport the choices are limited.
The resort is mostly for families, and couples. I do not think single people would enjoy it very much since it is not close to other attractions being at the south of the island. There are Tour Operators now at the Hotel. Do take trips to Soufriere, the active volcano, the sunset cruise at Rodney Bay, Castries and stop at Ledera resort for a drink as the view is fabulous! The resort sits on a lot of land, so if you like to take walks – you will enjoy it. We enjoyed Caribbean night on Tuesdays, and they do have different types of local entertainment now. It is definitely getting better, and will be a great place to stay in the future.

Coconut Bay Resort

by agator

This resort seems to be away from the majority, which seem to be near Castries. I note that it is on the Atlantic, rather than the Caribbean side of the island. Does anyone have any familiarity with the resort - or the difference between staying on the east rather than the west, Caribbean side?

Planning a trip in a couple weeks - and the prices to a few places in St. Lucia look better than normal. Any known reason why this might be so?, would be another of my questions.

Thanks in advance to the responders

Re: Coconut Bay Resort

by Craigellachie

Based on my experience of neighbouring islands (not been to St. Lucia but no reason too think it will be different from St. Vincent or Barbados in this respect) the Caribbean will be much calmer than the Atlantic - with a few sheltered exceptions, swimming is not recommended on the Atlantic side. The upside may be a much more dramatic landscape, though as a volcanic island the landscape probably isn't dull on St. Lucia anyway.

So if it's important to you to have a nice calm sea to swim in without having to take transport to get there, take local advice before booking on the Atlantic coast. That is probably why most resorts are on the Caribbean side. Probably appeals to people who like to be away from the hordes :) But as I say I am basing that on knowledge of nearby islands so it may not be 100% accurate. But at least now you know what questions to ask if you decide to email the hotel :)

will 90 minute car ride from airport make me sick?

by dizzygoogrl

My fiance and I are considering traveling to St. Lucia for our honeymoon. We definitely would like to stay at an all inclusive location. We're thinking one of the Sandals resorts, any other recommendations would be appreciated though :-)

Anyways, I am VERY concerned with the road conditions. I get extremely motion sick/car sick and I am very nervous about the 90 minute/40 mile drive from the airport to the Sandals resorts. How are the roads? Are they twisty and hilly? Has anyone else had a problem with the roads? Additionally, if the roads are terrible, are there any nice all inclusive resorts closer to the airport?

Thanks for you input!

by sunloverfrance

You don't say which airport you are arriving at. The main long haul airport (Hewanorro) is in the south, and does involve a 90 minute transfer to Sandals, along some quite steep and twisty roads.

If you are arriving at the smaller airport (SLU)in the north, it is only 10 to 15 minutes to Sandals.

Look to see whether you have the possibilty to fly into Vigie (SLU) airport. If you are coming from the States, try to stage at San Juan. If you are coming from the UK, look at trying to change in Barbados or Antigua, and then catch a small plane into Vigie.

If you have no option but to arrive at Hewanorra (UVF), there is a helicopter transfer between the two. Details at

by dizzygoogrl

Thanks for the information. Yes, we would be flying into the southern airport (UVF). I will look into the helicopter transfers! I found flights flying into SLU but they are very expensive! One more question, do you know of any all-inclusive resorts closer to the UVF airport? I don't mind the drive by car as long as it's not a very far distance!

by sunloverfrance

Coconut Bay Resort is quite close to UVF airport. I haven't stayed there, and don't know if it is all inclusive, but if you google "coconut bay resort st lucia" you will find more information. I personnally prefer to be further north in St Lucia, but, yes, that does involve a long transfer by road.

by luckiday

Hi, yes it might make you sick if you get travel sick anyway. The roads out there are quite poor, so maybe if you could take some car sickness pills this may help. I would recommend you don't stay at Sandals though. I'm sure the complex itself is fine, but it is very isolated. So if you want more entertainment outside of Sandals you will have to take a bus to it. St Lucia is a fairly safe island!! I was out there for a month as a white woman, and I walked in the early hours of the morning along country roads. So where ever you stay make sure you get out and about as it is a very beautiful island.

Happy traveling!!