La Pompe | Friendship Bay Beach, Bequia
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Bequia

View from our bedroom balconyView from our bedroom balcony

My art in BequiaMy art in Bequia

Climate/Bequia

by booboo1531

My boyfriend and I are planning on traveling to Bequia In May and have been finding mixed facts on the internet regarding the climate. Some sites say that mid to late May is rainy (which is when we are planning on going). While other sites say that Bequia is nice anytime of the year. Please Help!!!!!!!!

Re: Climate/Bequia

by Theisos

Bequia is nice all round. Saying that it is rainy certain times of the year isn't saying much. Rain in Bequia can mean many different things.

Visit our Site http://www.CariChat.net and Chat with some of the Vincentians on that site about Bequia. They'll be able to tell you all you need to know.

Re: Re: Climate/Bequia

by curiousx

May is the loveliest month in Bequia - so say all who live there year round.

RE: RE: Climate/Bequia

Travel Tips for Bequia

Bequia

by Howstap

"TIP ON GETING THERE"

Getting to Bequia can be a little stressful if trying to make all connections in 1 day. In my case there were 3 flight legs 1 taxi and a ferry ride needless to say i didn't make the ferry the last leg.This was due to a very incompetent LIAT Airlines. who were 3 hours late leaving Barbados and then Lost my luggage. On the return they were late Leaving St Vincent causing me to miss my Air Canada connection. So break your travel into 2 days if visiting this island.

"About Bequia"

Bequia is a charming little Island but it is remote. If not staying in Port Elizabeth you will need a rental or a lot of Taxis, as walking is not really an option. The Island is very hilly with one road basically going around it. The Food was good but a little pricey $14.00 US for a Hamburger & Fries. There is no source of fresh water on the island other than rain water or purchased bottled water.The beaches are nice but there are nicer in the Caribbean that are easier to get too. The Taxis are not a dollar as stated in some travel books Port Elizabeth to Princess Margaret Beach (the Closest) is $7.00 US each way water Taxis the same. Fresh Meat and Produce are scarce and expensive.
Pack lots of Insect repellent and After Bite.

"Is it worth the Trip?"

This is a popular destination for yachter's.However we went to Bequia for a relatives Wedding which turned out well.The island, Flowers ,Trees and beaches are beautiful. Would i go back strictly for a vacation? No just to much hassle getting in and out and there are much nicer less expensive and easier to get to places out there. However if your the type that likes to get off the beaten path this could be for you.

World Art for ALS Awareness

by PALS

"MY PROJECT:"

My idea of getting my art photographed in every country in the world stemmed from the increased isolation my progressive disease brought on. After the reality that I would never work again and would forever be confined to a wheelchair with a steady loss of muscle control, I decided to seize the strength I still had to create art, initially using adaptations to draw with pastels and carve linoleum prints (I did this by strapping a chisel to my hand –my gripping ability gone – and using the movement of my shoulder and torso to manipulate the chisel.) Soon this became impossible and I then turned to drawing on the computer by moving the mouse wedged between my hands and using lateral pressure in order to control the mouse. By this method I created over 60 images.

When I heard a friend of mine was returning to India, the thought occurred to me that it would be neat if he would take a piece of my artwork there and bring back a photo of it. I liked the idea of getting my art “out there” making a statement, a connection, knowing my disease will surely shorten my life. After more pictures came in, from my brother’s business trips, traveling friends, I decided on trying to get every country (and interesting, isolated locales) as a challenge and as a vehicle to raise awareness of my rare disease.
I think it would be a great accomplishment, under my circumstances, to get a photo of my art in every country in the world. Conceptualizing the world from a map presents images of vast oceans, rugged mountains, immense desserts, isolated islands, jungle heat and artic cold, people different from me, harbored in my wheelchair in a small coastal New England town, in ways I can only imagine. But then the responses start coming back, Iran “I like the whole concept and I would like to be a part of this art project”, Brazil “other people around the world will be your legs, your arms, and carry part of your art with them”, Brunei “I'd consider it a great privilege to help you out in this small way”, and then the images. Wow, there’s my art in Bangkok, at the Pyramids in Giza, at the very pole that marks the bottom of the Earth!

I work nearly everyday, typing with a mouth stick because my arms and hands are too weak to lift or use, and hooked to a breathing machine because my weakening diaphragm has left me with only 20% of my normal breathing strength, scouring the world wide web for likely participants in my project from all corners of the globe.

"MY DISEASE:"

ALS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease in the United States and elsewhere in the world as MND motor neuron disease, is characterized by the rapid, progressive death of motor neurons, nerve cells that feed all the voluntary muscles in the body, including muscles used for breathing. As these motor neurons die, the muscles, lacking nourishment, atrophy, resulting in paralysis of all voluntary muscle. In about 90 percent of cases of ALS, there is no family history. Ninety percent of ALS patients die within three to five years from the date they are diagnosed. The cause of ALS is unknown. There is no cure. There is no effective treatment. ALS occurs throughout the world at about the same rate of roughly one in 100,000.

PALS = Person with ALS