3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Island Seas Resort

On the Beach

by cdapello about Island Seas Resort

We arrived late and tired from an uncomfortable trip on the "cruise" ship that connects Grand Bahama Island with the mainland at Ft Lauderdale, FLA. All we wanted to do was get to our room and crash! Very nice personnel (Miss Veronica?) advised us that the room was not ready. She was so gracious and concerned that it was impossible to be miffed at the circumstances. My home town is Las Vegas.....so....I thought that a nice tip might rush the process. Miss Veronica refused and promised that it was not necessary! (that would not happen in LV...!) We finally got our key and was shown to a wonderful suite. It was the size of a one bedroom apartment with a kitchen. I would guess around 600 sq ft. We were so pleased. Everything was clean and pretty. The bedroom had a king isze bed and there was a sofa bed in the living room the was very comfortable. There were 4 of us, so the accomodations were perfect. The pool (similiar to the pool at the Tropicana Hotel in Vegas) was clean and inviting. Just beyond was the ocean and its cooling breeze. The hotel restaurant was central to the pool and was actually an outdoor patio area. Make sure to have a massage on the beach! It was amazing! This trip was taken in May....within the year of two big hurricanes. The destruction from nature was obvious, yet the beauty was still there.

See Mr Victor

by cdapello

When staying at the Island Seas Resort, ask for Mr Victor Devaux (Last name may be a little different...cannot recall). We made a deal with Victor for his services for the entire time that we were there. We were a group of four ladies traveling on our own. This arrangement made us feel much safer in a strange area and the convenience was wonderful. Like having our own car without the hassle of parking. His prices were very reasonable.

Love Island Seas and the Bahamas

My family and I have been owners at the Island Seas for four years. We are never ready to leave when it is time to go home. We usually end up booking our next trip before leaving. We love it so much we bought a second week. There are a variety of rooms. Many people pay an inexpensive package price and stay at the Island Seas with the agreement of seeing the timeshare presentation. They fail to read the fine print to see that other charges are added to their bill. Being an owner has advantages, like choice of room location and flexible time. Plus you don't pay all those extra charges. We find the staff to be wonderful and helpful. One year we accidentally left our brand new camcorder on the checkout counter. We discovered this AFTER we had been through customs at the airport. We called the resort and a staff member brought us our camera!! Prices are more expensive here than other places you can travel to, but everything is imported, the Bahamians are paying those same high prices. We always find that if we are pleasant to the staff, they will go out of their way to be pleasant to us. We love Island Seas and cannot wait to return.

Loved it!

I have travelled to the Bahama islands many times and I have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Island Seas Resort. It was in a great location and we loved the resort amenities. We had one problem regarding a phone call charged to the room that was not made but the situation was quickly remedied the following day. We actually loved the resort so much that we purchased a timeshare unit...This was our honeymoon. My husbamd and I plan to return to Freeport at least every other year!

nice location/place, did encounter a problem but resort eventually resolved the issue to our satisfaction

I booked our late February stay at the Island Seas resort through condoexpress.com. We did encounter an issue the first night but resort and condos express eventually resolved the matter. Having your own kitchen and staying on the water was definitely better then staying at inland hotels. I would stay at the Island Seas again and will definitely use Condo's express again. We did not encounter any timeshare sales pitch. The food served at the onsite restaurant was also very good. The staff and the resort were kid friendly. We have traveled to many Caribbean islands and found the Grand Bahamas to be a nice place, especially considering how easy it is to get there on a direct flight from Atlanta. We felt very comfortable with the people of the Grand Bahamas and at no time did we feel uncomfortable with our surroundings.

absolutely dreadful

Absolutely dreadful! Front desk attendant was rude. when i asked her questions she was short with her answers and acted as if she didn't want us to have a good time. Resort was located too far from any attractions or resturants. Bus line does not run by the resort. Taxi ride was usually $10-12 per person. As for food, my wife and I did not have a good meal the whole time we were there. The only resturant that we had available to us was located on the resort and the prices were too high for average food. And if you drink alcohol expect to pay $4- $6 a drink. Our condo was nice. But we did notice that the Iron, Microwave, coffee pot, electric can opener ect... were either bolted or chained down where they could not be taken from the room. Only one days complimentry coffee was provided. when we used it up, we had to purchase our own coffee from the grocery store or from the resturant located on the resort, where we were charged $5 for a days worth of coffee. The swimming pool was not heated and the hot tub was out of order. The beach was small and dirty. The further I walked down the beach the nastier it got. I saw broken bottles and old tires all along the beach. But it was clean in front of the resort. The tours were boring despite being expensive. Some one told me they went on a snorkeling trip but did not see any fish in the water. Also, in our condo was a small safe that we rented to put some personal items. we were charged $20 for renting the safe, plus we were charged seperately for the safe key which was $5 a day. Also, when I first arrived I was suckered into agreeing to attend a timeshare presentation on the last day of my vacation. I gave the lady $10, which was refundable after she gave the presentation. But when the last day came around I told the lady I was not attending, and let her keep the $10. I was just that disgusted with the place. So, I hope everyone will learn from my mistakes and stay far away from the island seas resort.

Not Happy

My husband and I just returned from staying at the Island Seas Resort. Where do I start.....when we checked in the first thing we were asked for was a $50 dollar deposit to turn our phone on. Next was will we watch their time share presentation, which we did agree to do. We were placed right next to construction of their new building, although we found out there was plenty of other rooms available. So we put up with noise and construction workers walking by our room windows the whole time! We complained a little but didn't get anywhere. Everytime you go to town expect between $10-$20 for your taxi ride...they are amazingly all different prices. There are no vending machines or ice machines to be found ANYWHERE on the property!! You can go to the Winn Dixie uptown and get groceries to save a little on food costs..I say a little because expect to pay $5.50 for a gallon of milk, $2.00 for a loaf of bread, $7.00 for a pack of Oreos!!! No joke. The gift shop did have 2 liter bottles of soda for $3.50. A buck a can for soda or this weeks deal 6 cans for $6.00 :) It was a bit crazy. Well our worst experience was the time share demo..we were given the 90 minute guarantee in and out promise. We expressed to them we were already owners of timeshare at which time they belittle our program and tried time after time to get us to switch to there program. After I kid you not 5 and a half hours we finally gave our final no we are not interested and literally had to walk away from him so he would shut up! We were wild by then, wasting our whole day basically argueing with this guy! We expressed how very mad we were with the whole ordeal , only to get an oh well sorry about that. We also took a snorkeling trip thru Paradise Cove and ended up seeing about 5 fish the whole day. Through all this we ended up spending $900 the 4 days we were there, and really no good memories of the trip aside from the good friends we met.

the Bea's

We really enjoyed Island Seas. The rooms and resort are top shelf. The beach is beautiful with all the services. Try the Zonk the chonch guy. The other restaurant at the resort is a tiki hut with good food but after a few days, we rented a car and tried a bunch of other places. Had a nice enjoyable visit and will return again.

absolutely beautiful resort!

I have read through all of the previous reviews many times wondering if Island Seas was going to be the resort I was hoping for. Some of the reviews had me a little concerned. I have just returned from the bahamas and had a wonderful time. Island Seas has an excellent staff, very helpful and courteous. We did attend the time share presentation and received our free T-Shirts. They were persistent without being over pushy with the presentation. Bahamians are very Friendly and good salespeople, it's their way of life. We even considered possibly buying, but declined, maybe in the future. We had a two bedroom condo, ground floor, and it was wonderful. The restaurant was a little pricey for the food you got, but if you didn't want to cook or go to town, it was fine. Let's face it, if your going to the Bahamas, you should plan on taking a little cash, things are more expensive, but what the heck, your on vacation! We would recommend this resort to others, and would go back.

"Do Not Stay Here!!!!"

From the moment we arrived at the hotel, things were not as we expected. We had booked an oceanview room with a full kitchen and all the amenities. What we received was a room facing the street with a kitchenette. After voicing our concerns to the staff several times, we were told they couldn't help us. Then, we did not receive maid service until calling down to the front desk on two different occasions. While we were told that nothing could be done about our room, the guy from the timeshare presentation told us that if we became members, he could do something to help us, indicating that there were, in fact, other rooms available. Additionally, the $15 per person/per night tax added an extra $150 onto the price of the room. I would not recommend this self-proclaimed five-star resort to anyone!

Running around in underwearRunning around in underwear

shoppingshopping

KFC ad in the Grand Bahama free mapKFC ad in the Grand Bahama free map

by tibbismind

Has anybody heard of this resort? It seems like a good rate for what it includes - kitchen amenities, close to beach, etc. But I never want to believe advertisement so I want to know if anybody knows about this hotel?

by deedlebug

The Island Seas is a very nice resort. We stayed at it's Sister Resort and wish we would have stayed here. It is directly on the beach and has a beautiful pool area and good food. I would definately recommend staying here.

by BobsBetterHalf

I just booked Island Seas for May 30th, a trade for my timeshare. I've found mostly good comments about this place on TA. I saw your ? because I'm looking for info about the area. Never been before, hoping for a great vacation. I'll try to post here after I return. Happy Travels...

by tibbismind

Tons of thanks for your help!

Freeport

by Auxerre

Hello,
My sister and I are vacationing at the Island Sea Resort in September. We would like to cut costs by cooking some of our own meals (we have a kitchenette in our room). The reading I have done on-line tells me groceries are quite expensive. Does anyone have a suggestion as where to shop for a few provisions that won’t “break the bank”?
Also, any other suggestions on what to do, what to see and where to eat are very much welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Deb

by pacompay

they had little store out of the turist area you can get anythin

by Johanna1962

you can find some info about what-to-do/see etc. on this board:

for groceries: use the board's search option, search for "grocery" and "groceries".

hope this helps

by SunTanBob

Not sure about provisions, but have you and your sister considered taking pre-made meals from home? It is quite cost-effective and makes for an effortless vacation meal.

Prior to our vacations, my wife and I typically pre-cook and freeze meals ahead of time, and pack them in disposable tupperware-like containers. You can find a variety of coolers on wheels at any sporting goods etc. store that transport as easiliy as any wheeled luggage. I usually duct-tape shut the cooler to be safe. The multiple frozen meals transport to the destination just fine, and this plan really maximizes your vacation time and minimizes grocery shopping and prep work etc. time, who wants to do that on vacay?

by grandmaR

Freeport itself has a Winn Dixie and another similar type market which is not much more expensive than the states. There's another one out on Sea Horse Road. Lucaya has a more upscale grocery in the marketplace.

Taxis are expensive, but you can get a jitney bus for about $1 to go into Freeport or to Lucaya. Lucaya has many restaurants of all prices. Freeport has mostly things like Subway, Burger King and KFC.

There are some parks on Grand Bahama (one an underwater park), but we've always just walked around Lucaya, and shopped and eaten. Check with Island Seas when you get there. They have their own watersports tours with parasailing, snorkeling, etc

I've read wildly varying reviews of this place on tripadvisor.com

Transportation from Freeport to Nassau

by WallaWallaOnion

Arriving in May for 1 wk at Island Seas in Freeport and would like to do an excursion to Nassau/Paradise Island for perhaps an overnight trip ...perhaps staying at Comfort Suites in order to use Atlantis facilities. Would like to know the least expensive way to Nassau that would allow us a full day of visiting there. Also, looking for tropical setting to do a vow renewal while there. Thanks for any info, we are first-timers to Bahamas.

Re: Transportation from Freeport to Nassau

by pieter_jan_v

Just take an official taxi. I guess it's around $20 for a single ride.

The rates are at my Nassau page, directly visible at: http://p.vtourist.com/1233317-Taxicab-Nassau.jpg

To Paradise Island you pay $1 more for the Toll bridge.

Be sure to agree the price on forehand.

PJ

Re: Re: Transportation from Freeport to Nassau

by Wojtek_R

Bahamasair flies the route at least 4 times a day.
You can leave as early as 7am and come back as late as 9pm. Check out Bahamasair.com for times and prices, but the cost should be around $150 round trip

A taxi from the airport to P.I is $27
A taxi from town to P.I is $4/person, a ferry is $3

You do not need more than a day to visit Nassau, but if you stay overnight, the British Colonial Hilton is perhaps the best hotel there with its own beach

Re: Re: Transportation from Freeport to Nassau