Royal Palm Resort And Suites

Satisfaction Poor

More about Freeport City

TaxiTaxi

OceanOcean

Freeport from the Northwest Providence ChannelFreeport from the Northwest Providence Channel

!st Night in the Bahamas!st Night in the Bahamas

Loosing luggage when traveling?

by lala1234

I am taking two plane trips to get to the bahamas. From Texas to florida, then to the Bahamas. Does anyone know if people loose their luggage when they don't take them as a carry on?

Re: Loosing luggage when traveling?

by mccalpin

I made the same trip many years ago. I didn't lose my luggage en route, but my hotel room was broken into...don't get a room on the ground floor...

Bill

Re: Re: Loosing luggage when traveling?

by grandmaR

Are you going on the same airline with a connecting ticket? (That is - are you going on AA and American Eagle all the way or transferring from one airline to another one like Chalk or Bahamasair?) If you are going to transfer, it will be much easier if you do everything as a carry-on. But on the smaller planes you can't take as big a carry-on as you do on the bigger ones. So you may have to gate check the larger bag(s).

Note: I think it is rare for gate checked luggage to be lost. or sent to the wrong place.

However, there is no more chance of your losing your luggage on that trip than any other trip within the US. My sister lost her luggage (temporarily) on a flight from NY to Jacksonville without any change of planes. Also luggage isn't usually completely lost - it just doesn't get to your destination exactly when you do.

I almost always take two carry on sized bags and check one, and (knock wood) they've not lost them yet. I do take a change of underwear, a bathing suit an extra shirt along with all my medications, cameras, dive gear and/or computers in my carry on. You don't need a lot of luggage to go to the Bahamas anyway.

RE: Loosing luggage when traveling?

by msl0812

I have flown to and from the states to the Bahamas MANY times in the past 3 years. The airlines has lost my luggage 2 times. I always got it back anywhere form 1 - 3 days later.So...carry your toothbrush, make-up, comb & brush, deodorant and a lite change of clothes in a carry-on and let the rest go below. It makes traveling so much easier!

Travel Tips for Freeport City

Kindness

by blaird

When I was mopeding around, the local people were so nice. Everytime I stopped to check out the map, at least one person stopped to ask if I needed directions. The accuracy and detail of their directions was amazing!

Exotic Affordable Paradise in FREEPORT

by starteam144

Are you looking for paradise off the beaten path? If you are on a budget I have a great off the beaten path spot for you.

First use Southwest Airline and fly to Ft. Lauderdale. Stay at the Holiday Inn Express locally. $99 each way and $89 for the hotel.

Then take a day cruise offered by the Princess Hotel in Freeport and that cruise includes 1 week for $199.

For about $400 you will have a blast.

Now the "eats" you cross the street at the Princess and head towards the casino... you go throught the parking lot towards a "Straw Market" and you will see a little hut that sells lunch:

Fresh Grilled Grouper and Fried Plantain... amazing for about $5 bucks

There are alot of Rasta's but dont be afraid they are really nice.

Freeport

by grkboiler

Freeport is an industrial area on Grand Bahama. The harbour is where container ships, tankers, and cruise ships dock. The main industry is sand exporting. The sand of Grand Bahama is very popular for use in glass.

Freeport does not have much to see and is not the tourist area of the island. Around town, there are a few golf courses and the International Bazaar, which is popular with shoppers and has a casino.

During my visit, the island was still recovering from the devastating hurricanes of 2004. Many buildings were still being repaired and damage was still evident in many others. Trees were knocked down or stripped bare all over Freeport, and the International Bazaar was closed at the time.

Freeport is mainly just a spot for your cruise ship to dock, your plane to land, and to pass through on your way to other parts of the island. See my Lucaya page for more info on the biggest tourist area on Grand Bahama Island.

Grocery Stores and Fast Food

by grandmaR

Freeport City is not a tourist destination. The harbor is for big tankers and transport ships - not for pleasure boats.

Most tourists go to Lucaya. Lucaya is a different destination on Grand Bahama than Freeport.

On our first visit, Bob decided to go into town (from Lucaya) -he wanted to see if he could get an offset screw driver, some little ignition wrenches (to repair the Johnson outboard) that he hadn't been able to get in Bimini, and some R12. He also wanted to go to the supermarket. I thought Friday would be better than Sat, and definitely better than Sunday when things are closed.

Bob was getting ready to leave, and asked me if I was coming. I asked him if he needed me to navigate, as I wasn't really interested in shopping. He said it would be nice to have me along. I assumed he was going to rent a car and would want me to read the map, so I said OK. But he was taking the bus, and I suspected that a lot of walking would be involved and I should leave him to his own shopping devices. I was right.

Comments