3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Orbitz.com BookIt.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 91% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• bahama,hidden treasure

My wife and i stayed in the resort from 19th to 23rd of january to celebrate our 10th anniversay.that was also my first trip to the carribean.i chose the hotel because of the affordability,but what a surprise to see how my wife love it.it is not the top of the line but we were so please with everything.positive ambiance very safe.Exeptional employees.food is very good.lot of surprises. free snorkling,kayaking.i am definetly going back and this time with my kids.honestly i was very deceive to see guest not leaving tips for waiters eventhough it was all all inclusive....for god sake.very clean place.i just loved it.the only i didn,t like is how early they start the loud animation.not the music itself but the dj.too much talking on the mc.

Unique Quality: i loved the adjustable jaccuzi.i wish i could chose my room.the outdor jaccuzi.

The Best Kept Secret in the Bahamas

I really hate to brag about this place, because it is so secluded and I selfishly don't want anyone else to find out about it! But I have been there 4 times now, and will continue to return. It is just the best VACATION for those who want to lay back and listen to the sea!

Yes, there are things to do, but it you want to be a TOURIST, go to Nassau!!
    This place is for relaxing.

And you can't beat the price, especially if you book directly thru the Wynham website.
    Don't forget to check at the BOTTOM of the reservations page for discount groups,
    like AARP. AAA, etc...

Unique Quality: Great food.
    Quiet beach.
    Rooms are basic, but always very clean and they keep your refigerator stocked!
    Pool area is nice, but hot tub can get rowdy depending on how many kids are there.

Best Getaway in the Bahamas

This hotel has just recently been acquired by Wyndham. Before that, it was know as the Viva Fortuna. It is an all inclusive hotel and originally was based on Italian theme, especiallly the food.

I originally found this resort because I could pay for it using my American Airlines points. How can you beat free?!?! Once there, I was hooked! I have returned two more times since my original trip, and have two more trips planned.

The rooms are nothing special, but who stays in their rooms if they have the Carribean Sea just out the door?! There is a small refrigerator in the room, which they keep stocked with the soda of your choice. Since it is all-inclusive, there is no additional charge for these.

This is the ONLY hotel on this section of the island, so the beach is available to guests for as far as the eye can see! There are a few homes on either side of the hotel, but the beach is not blocked off and there is room to spread out and enjoy sun, sand and sea.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available in an open-air dining hall. There are also 2 restaurants onsite for a change of pace. One is Italian and the other is Oriental. Wherever you chose to eat, the food is marvelous. During times when Dining Hall or Restaurants are not open, there is always something cooking in the Beach Hut...burgers, hotdogs, pizza, french fries, cold sandwiches..and the bar is open and limitless.

ACTIVITIES GALORE! Snorkeling gear and sailboats are available at no charge. Staff always has something going on either the beach or poolside during the day; scuba intro, water aerobics, yoga by the pool, beach volleyball, contests, kid mini-golf. Each night there is a show in the amphitheater and when that ends, the Disco opens up and the outdoor Pizza Kitchen starts throwing out pizzas on demand.

Mini-store, liquor store, jewelry shop, and internet access is all available onsite.

If you are looking for a self-contained quiet vacation spot, this is the place! It is cost effective, especially if you book online at the Wyndham website.

Unique Quality: The pool is at the epicenter of the complex and close to everything. The hottub is always a popular place, adjacent to the pool, but there is almost a waiting line to get into it! They could use about 3 more of them!!

Of course, you will get hit up to attend their seminars about their timeshares, but the time is well spent, even if you don't sign up. They have a nice list of things you can get in exchange for your time. I picked the coupon for 2 free days on my next visit to the resort. Quite unexpectedly, I also received a gift card in the mail, 2 months after I was there, for $75 at Samsonite.

A 10 minute taxi ride will take you into Freeport. The flea market is large, and all the international shops adjacent to that will take you more that one day to wander thru. There are also LOTS of restaurants to choose from, and the port is full of lovely yachts to drool over! This is also where you can find the boats that will take you out for a Dolphin petting trip, or Diving with the Dolphins

Directions: Doubloon Road & Churchill Drive
    P.O. Box F-42398
    Freeport,
    Bahamas
    Phone: 242-373-4000

Best Getaway in the Bahamas

I originally found this resort because I could pay for it using my American Airlines points. How can you beat free?!?! Once there, I was hooked!!! I have returned two more times since my original trip, and have two more trips planned.

ACTIVITIES GALORE! Snorkeling gear and sailboats are available at no charge. Staff always has something going on either poolside or on the beach during the day; scuba intro, water aerobics, yoga by the pool, beach volleyball, contests, kid mini-golf. At night there is always a show in the outdoor amphitheater and when that ends, the Disco opens up and the outdoor Pizza Kitchen starts throwing out pizzas on demand.

• plannersis's Profile Photo

All-Inclusive Resort

Our stay at the Viva Wyndham was great - it is a large complex of 6 or 8 buildings with 10 or so rooms on two stories. These are clustered around the grounds, the pool, the common areas and of course the magnificent beach and ocean. The rooms are large with TVs and numerous cable channels, bathroom was functional, had a small patio, a frig and closet.
    The Wyndham is all-inclusive which means your stay includes 3 meals a day with all beverages, evening entertainment and all non-motorized sports, like snorkeling, sea kayaking, wind-surfing, etc.
    I would recommend this place as I feel it was a good value, not a 6-star resort, but at least 3 and 1/2. Note: many Italians stay here and the women do sun-bathe topless, so Americans with children need to know this.

Unique Quality: The pool was nice, the beach is soft, white sand with palm trees and palapas and nice beach loungers for guests; the staff is young and helpful, the food is buffet-style with lots of variety.

Directions: Resort beach area, outside of Lucaya town

More about Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Hotel

If you are diving, or just...

by eclark

If you are diving, or just vacationing, Pelican Harbor is really nice. It has just been redone and the rooms are great. They have two pools, a restaurant that is very good, and a nice poolside bar. Since I usually dive with Unexso when in Freeport, this place is perfect since it is literally next door.

CLUB FORTUNA is an...

by drolkar

CLUB FORTUNA is an Italian-owned all-inclusive resort that is located on Grand Bahama Island (near Freeport). I guess you could say it's kind of a 'European Club Med'.

The staff is multilingual, the food is great, the beach is gorgeous... and the cocktails are lethal, thanks to 150 proof Bahamian rum. (I tried my first Bahama Mama while on the beach, and a few sips knocked me out to the point that I fell asleep under the afternoon sun! Fortunately, I don't burn easily...)

The one drawback to Club Fortuna is that transportation to and from Freeport gets pricy -- USD $15 each way for a car to the city. You can share with other hotel guests, though, which brings the price down considerably.

I'll try to locate this information.... In the meantime, please check their website!

Had a GREAT Time letter to travel agent

Just thought I'd drop you a note on our trip to Club Viva Fortuna on Grand Bahama. GREAT PLACE!The staff was very attentive and the place was clean ( Caribbean Standards )It struck us as a cross between the places that ran in the Pocono's in the late 50's, and a beach resort,very family oriented but not exclusively! There were young newlyweds, spring breakers and couples of all ages as well as family reunions. They ran activities for young and old all through the day , at the pool or on the huge well kept beach.The staff put on a show each night at 9:30 in the onsite theater. Costumes, music, lights! all fun! and well attended. Snorkeling? right off the beach! They provide the gear and the reef is 50 yards off the beach. They have three small sailboats, many sailboards, kayaks, and you can rent jet ski's. Glass bottom boats and parasailing are just down the beach. Dining was all inclusive and cafeteria style. The variety pretty much guaranties you will find something you like. They have an Italian restaurant that was excellent and the wait staff was very attentive. The extra bar on the beach was a nice feature! Now for the down side.We got nabbed by the "CLUB" people and had to endure the 3 hour sales pitch for the time-share. They were relentless! After numerous times telling them we would not plunk down 27,000 for a thirty year, one trip a year, NOT including food or bar (additional 500 per person ), time share, they finally let us go feeling like we went 3 rounds with the heavyweight champ! A damper on the day.All things considered, it was a great vacation and we would like to thank you for all of you assistance.

A Pleasant Surprise

We just got back from a wonderful, relaxing pleasant stay at Viva Fortuna. I was pleasantly surprised to find a very clean resort, with very friendly, happy staff. The reviews I had read did not reflect these thoughts at all. However, I have been told they have recently changed managers and so things are beginning to be upgraded. My guess is the staff is happier due to this change...However, a tip here and there to the housekeepers and bar tenders didn't hurt! The "hard sell" for the "time share" was the most disappointing part of our vacation. They "capture" you when you get there making you give them $10 to assure your arrival for their "sell" beginning at breakfast one morning. The $10 is refunded when you show up for the breakfast meeting. If you have a stronger backbone than I do then you can take care of that faster than I did. The food was cafeteria style so if you want to be waited on for meals this is not the place to go. We found many food choices and were able to enjoy a few evening meals in their "sit down and be waited on" restaurant. The beach was fantastic and they have so much beachfront that you never feel crowded. The other guests were very friendly too.... The main reason we went was for sun, relaxation, and rest so we didn't partake in the many activities available. I would recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for an Deluxe Five Star Resort. This one is laid back where one can be comfortable in shorts in the diningroom at dinner time. We plan to return sometime in the near future!

Fantastico! Vacation Getaway

This was a great vacation for the price. My wife and I wanted a quick getaway that was all-inclusive and affordable. Viva Fortuna was much better than we expected. The grounds and rooms were clean, the beach was excellent and the bartenders and staff were very friendly. (Within 5 minutes of being at the resort you are completely emerged in the island atmosphere) - The rooms are not as bad as we expected. Clean and simple (i.e. you would not want to be stuck in your room all day but sleeping and showering was comfortable, afternoon naps were pleasant) Our last All-inclusive was at the Moon Palace in Cancun. This was not as nice, if you are looking for 5 star (Sandals etc.) this will not be to your liking, but remember it's half the price. And in the end had just as much fun. Again it was very clean.The Good: BEACH (Clean w/incredible snorkeling), BAR (Any drink you want, they are not cheap with booze. I ordered a Rum and Coke and I don't think the bartender ever heard the word coke, if you know what I mean...), FOOD (Good Variety, Vegas Buffet Style. Do not expect Caviar and Jumbo Shrimp) ACTIVITIES: (Volleyball, Entertainment, Snorkeling, Mopeds, Bikes, Gym, Bar...)The Bad: Like I said you have to make the best of this vacation. If you want to be in the lap of luxury every moment then cough up the money and go stay at a Sandals resort. This is for beach lovers and rum drinkers. Read all the reviews posted here; there are some really good tips. Dont forget your Travel Mug! Fantastico!!

We had a Great, relaxing time!

We went to Fortuna Beach for our honeymoon in 1997. It was HEAVEN. We had a great time. The food was in abundance and it was excellent. The beach was private and beautiful. The staff was very helpful and fun. It was very laid back. The rooms were basic but were clean and accomodating. We had no problems. It was a great vacation. We are hoping to return for a future anniversary. We did get tired of rum drinks by the end of the week, but just figured that was part of being in the Bahamas. Definitely a good trip and great value.

Viva Fortuna BeachViva Fortuna Beach

Viva Fortuna BeachViva Fortuna Beach

The Beach at Viva FortunaThe Beach at Viva Fortuna

Sunrise on Fortuna BeachSunrise on Fortuna Beach

Freeport, the Bahamas mid May

by plannersis

We're going to the Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach in Freeport, Bahamas for 5 nights May 19th - any VTer going the same time? Hoping to snorkel and lay on the beach, but also want to ride bicycles - any good bike rental places there? Would appreciate your input, thanks.

Re: Freeport, the Bahamas mid May

by sailon

If you want to have an exciting fun day.....catch the (local) bus to downtown. ( Freeport).....go to the bus terminal ( it is just a big bus stop)( the farmers market is but a short walk across the hiway by the shopping center) and catch the bus to the west end of the Island........their is a great resort at the end of the bus line where you can lay in a hammock under a palm tree right on the beach....a good beach bar is thier also.....Check with the bus driver and stop off at a resteraunt called the ( Chicken Nest ) ( water view)a native resteraunt on the bus route...the fish was fresh and the beer was cold....( Couch salad a must)..don't forget to tell the buss driver to come back and pick you up on his last trip to Town.....go native....have fun

Re: Re: Freeport, the Bahamas mid May

by plannersis

Thanks so much for the info - we'll have a blast going 'native'! I'll plan to bring some change and small bills for the bus, hoping we'll have the right amount.

Comments