4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Old Bahama Bay
Booking.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Old Bahama Bay Stay!

I have stayed at Old Bahama Bay several times and I fall I fall in love every time! The place is picturesque, with its beachfront beach houses and perfect clear water. We borrowed bikes and would just ride around the Resort and checked out the Marina where people were always coming in and out of with their daily catches and stories.
    The rooms are very well kept and are spacious, we had a large balcony to be able to relax and watch the ocean on. They have two good restaurants on the property, my favorite being the beach cafe where we would have our morning coffee and coconut French Toast.
    Last time I was there they were having a beach wedding and it was absolutely a dream wedding. I will be looking into OBB for my wedding!
    The staff is very friendly and accommodating as well.Overall we had a wonderful time and will definitely be returning back soon for some fun in the sun!

Unique Quality: Full balcony right in front of the water. Beautiful view, very relaxing and quiet. Perfect for weddings, group trips or romantic getaways.

• Old Bahama Sweetness

I have stayed twice in the past two years at Old Bahama Bay and loved it every time! The accommodations are very well kept and picturesque. The staff is very friendly and is always willing to help out in anyway they can. There are two restaurants on the property, both are wonderful but my favorite is the beach bar/cafe – the Coconut French Toast is delicious! There is always a new flow of people because some people stay in the Marina and some stay at the resort.
    They also have complementary water sports such as paddle boards and kayaks to choose from.
    If your in the mood to get away and go into town it is a 30 minute ride so you can still go shopping and check out the local bars and restaurants.
    Overall I love staying there and would definitely recommend it as a great place to stay!

More about Old Bahama Bay Hotel

Awesome, enchanting experience!!!

The Old Bahama Bay resort lived up to every expectation I had read and been told to expect! Although the resort is on the tail-end of recovery from the hurricanes last fall, the service and attention to detail were top-notch. The resort staff went well out of their way to make our engagement trip a success! The rooms were spacious, the massage was a very pleasurable 90 minute experience and the beach and meals were very nice!

We will return again later in the summer and will make the Old Bahama Bay a regular stop on our vacation/travel destinations!

If you want quiet, reserved elegance, the Old Bahama Bay is the place to go to unwind, sit back and do absolutely nothing! Old Bahama Bay is a quiet, relaxing escape.

Please keep up the great work, and thank you for the amazing, memorable engagement experience!!!

Best Birthday Ever!!

What a wonderful piece of heaven. There were four couples that traveled together. We were excited to get away and could not believe what we found. I have traveled to most of the islands in the Caribbean and have never met such wonderful locals as the staff at Old Bahama Bay Club. The resort itself was exactly like the pictures on the web site. We met many of the staff and other people staying at the resort. All the fish we caught on our day at sea the chef cooked to perfection. The only thing I would change is that we had planned to stay longer. Old Bahama Bay is a resort you come to enjoy the scenery, relax, laugh and watch the sunset. This is an easy island to get to from the east coast. We cannot wait to return.
The Fun J's

For honeymooners only!

My best friend and I (both female) booked at the Old Bahama Bay for a week of catching up and relaxing. We decided to stay here mainly because of the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. Here are some things no one mentioned, which would have been nice to know:
-This is a place (in my opinon) for honeymooners only. The only other guests while we were there were 5 couples who had gotten married the day before. There is NOTHING to do but talk to your companion while you are here. ( I do mean nothing.) It is extremely remote, a taxi ride into "town" (Port Lucaya) costs $80 (EACH WAY), and there is no shuttle service. We were bored after 3 hours and actually paid for another hotel in Port Lucaya and went there for a few days. There was no way we could face 6 whole days with only each other to talk to and absolutely no distractions. If you want to buy a t-shirt, go to a bar, try a different restaurant...even for one day!... this place is not for you.
Also, the bugs on the beach were unbearable. They call them "no see ums" It is 2 weeks later and I am still covered with bumps and bites. Don't know if this is because of the grass there, Old Bahama Bay is on the undeveloped part of the island, but be warned! Also, I do not know the correct term for this, but when you go into the water, sandbars covered with tough plants stop you before you get past your knees. Am not quite sure where people snorkeled but it wasn't there. It was a great relief to get to the beautiful clear-water beaches and pools in Port Lucaya.
This being said the room was beautiful, views great, lovely porches with fantastic view. And a nice couple we met there on their honeymoon loved the place. But it's in town for us next time.

Beware of bugs!

by TripAdvisor Member fatdawg

The wife and I stayed on Grand Bahama Island for a week and we decided to break the trip in two. Two nights at the Westin and the rest at Old Bahama Bay. I will concentrate my review just on Old Bahama Bay here.

First of all, you could not tell this place was destroyed by last year's hurricanes. The property is very nice. All the rooms are nicely decorated with beautiful furnishing. The bathroom was awesome. We had a jacuzzi tub and a roomy standup shower. Some of the rooms have stove, microwave, and etc. No complaints about the room. The bed was comfy as well. Each small bungalow has 4 rooms and each bungalow had its own name. The best ones are the ones away from the pool. The gym equipments are brand new and first class. We ran on the treadmill one day when it was raining. The food was average. Not a lot of selections. Pretty much the same menu for 2 (out of 3) of the places where you can eat. One by the beach serving lunch. One serving lunch and dinner. And one nicer place for dinner. Stay with the conch. Conch burger, fried conch (not the fritters), conch salad and etc. Conch chowder was so so. If you are a picky eater, you might have trouble after a few nights.

Now to the negative stuff. We read some reviews here regarding horse flies by the pool. We did not experience that. Pool was nice but we stayed mostly at the beach. The beach was clean and had a nice view. We did notice some small pieces of glass on the beach but it was not a huge concern. We also read some warnings about bugs. The first several days we had some mosquito bites and it was no big deal. However on our last day we went to our normal outdoor breakfast spot and noticed all these fruit fly like bugs. We got eaten alive by them. By the time we went inside it was too late. The people there did warn us, but they need to put a big sign out there to just tell everyone to go in. These bites lasted for a week and iched like hell! Several other couples had to go through the same thing and I am pretty sure they all had to endure the bites like us. Also one night we noticed a roach in our room. Didn't bother me (freaked my wife out) since it was only one. Although it makes you wonder if there was one....

Overall the Old Bahama Bay is a real nice place. Out of no where. Service was good. People there are friendly and nice. If you want a quiet getaway on Grand Bahama Island, I would recommend this place. Just remember this, food choices are limited, there is nothing near by, and finally be very afraid of those crazy fruit fly like bugs! Especially after it rains and if it's not breezy. Spray yourself with OFF (it is provided in your room)!!!!! I don't think I could stay there for an entire week. I was glad we stayed a couple of nights in Freeport.

The best vacation ever

My girl friend and I stayed at Old Bahama Bay May 8th - 12th and found it absolutely wonderful. It is very remote and relaxing. Thanks to reviews we decided to rent a car and knew that we could save some money by stopping at the grocery store.
The staff at OBB is very accomodating and met our every request. They even brought us a brand new coffee maker rather than simply replacing the missing filter basket.
Our room over looked the pool and beach for magnificent views in the morning and evening. May is the off season and I don't think we ever saw more than a dozen guests at any one time. We felt like we had our own resort. The weather was great and the water perfect.
Being on the west end of the island makes travelling necessary to get to shops, casinos, night clubs and additional restaurants so rent a car. Taxi fare is 75-80 dollars one way to town so having a car is much better.
We can't wait for our next trip back.

Luxury and tranquility

by TripAdvisor Member Josnand

We stayed at OBB during the 3rd week of March. Although the weather did not helped, (cold breeze, water was very cold) we had a nice stay. The hotel had only a few rooms operating, (they are still in the recovery phase of being struck by two hurricanes), but the atmosphere was nice. They were working, installling roofs on some of the buildings, but they started to work late as not to disturb anyone's sleep.

The rooms are quite luxurious with a small kitchenette (refrigerator, microwave, wet bar) has a sitting area, and our room was directly facing the ocean so waking up in the morning to such a beatiful scenery was great! The water is simply gorgeous, crystal clear!

Service was actually better than other hotels in the Bahamas, (island time remember!) but they did go the extra mile to accommodate your request and or take care of what you need. All the staff that we dealt with were very friendly and polite.

My only complaint is the food, although is not bad, it is pricey and the selections are not really there (No pasta dishes listed). The menu is fixed in terms of selections and there were no daily specials. The food is not consistent, sometimes it was very good other times it was so-so. The meal plan cost as much if not more than what you would spend daily. We dediced not to go with the meal plan and realized that we saved money, even though were having the three meals a day! I hope that this will improve once the hotel is 100% operational.

We are definetely going back in the summer. It is a great place to relax!

For Anyone Wanting Peace and Serenity - not just honeymooners!

by TripAdvisor Member chargad

My husband and I just returned from a five night stay at OBB earlier this month, and I give the resort an overall 3.75 rating. I had been planning to write a review but hadn't gotten around to it and when I read the last review about the girlfriends who left the property due to boredom, I felt compelled to write! I agree that OBB is remotely located, no question there. But, there is still plenty to do if you're open to it. One drawback of the resort is that they don't seem to tout their extra-curricular activities as best as they could (perhaps this was due to the fact that, upon our check-in, the front-desk staff was extremely busy and understaffed, and did not have a lot of time for explanations). Fortunately, on our first day, we found out from another couple staying on the property that you could ask at the Straw Bar for a boat to take you snorkeling out to some great locations, free of charge. They will also take you around the corner to a private island (really, not so private – but fun) for a picnic lunch (they’ll charge you for lunch). If you book some tour packages (we did the Swimming with the Dolphins at UNEXSO – definitely worth it), they’ll arrange transportation free of charge, if you book through the resort. There were plenty of new bicycles also available to ride around the resort and the surrounding areas. We took advantage of this and rode into the nearest “town” about a mile away and stocked up on snacks, drinks, etc. Of course there’s the pool and the beach, both of which were nice, and never crowded when we were there (even with the boaters from the marina using the facilities). Definitely bring your beach shoes as the beach does get rocky past your knees. The resort also has beach shoes, and snorkeling equipment available, again, free of charge. There are several kayaks, a Hobie Cat, and a small Sunfish. If you ask at the front desk, they have DVDs and books that you can check out as well. Granted, we did a lot of “laying around”, and that was fine; it’s what we expected, and what we wanted.

My husband is an “explorer” by nature and felt that we couldn’t possibly leave the island without exploring all areas – I was content to stay put at OBB for the entire six days. So, with initial resistance from me, we rented a car for a day ($80, they brought it right to the resort – older model car, cracked windshield, but clean and reliable – it is the islands, of course!). We headed to the touristy areas of Lucaya and Freeport, and beyond, and unlike the previous reviewer, we were both THRILLED that we had chosen to stay at OBB, versus the crowded, bustling resorts of Lucaya. Granted, the Westin and the other resorts were nice, we walked through them, but we much preferred the serenity of OBB, and enjoyed not having to “stake out” a spot on the beach/pool every day.

Having never been to the Bahamas before (only Jamaica, Barbados, PSV, etc), I’m not sure how “nice” the market places were prior to the hurricane damage, but walking through the International Bazaar as well as the shops at Port Lucaya Marketplace, I’d tell anyone to skip it. A lot of the stores were run down and there was nothing of real quality. If you need to quickly purchase a t-shirt for your drinking buddy, or a cheesy souvenir for your co-worker, you might find something, but I wouldn’t bother going back to these places. That being said, I do realize the island was hard hit by the storms last year and I’m sure the locals need our money…. Speaking of, (and getting back to OBB), tip well, please. The employees at OBB never gave the impression that they were looking for a tip, but given their loss of work for the last seven months due to the hurricane damage, we gave more than we normally would. Overall, service was pretty good, so it wasn’t an issue. A side note, we were told by two employees that OBB fed the locals on the West End, up to three meals a day, for several months during the aftermath of the storms. Many of the employees living on the West End lost their homes, as well as temporarily losing their jobs.

As far as the bugs…. Several reviewers have commented on them, and again, I don’t mean to sound like everything was perfect at OBB, but the bugs really weren’t bothersome when we were there – and my husband is a huge bug magnet! There was one day (out of six) where the winds died down to almost nil, and the bugs came out. The resort has SSS and Off in each room for your use, and we did use both products one day, but thankfully, the winds were somewhat stronger than normal when we were there, and that helped keep the bugs away (that, and our little Gecko friend who “guarded’ the outside of our patio every day).

Our only “complaint” was that we couldn’t get the combo washer/dryer to work in our room, resulting in wet beach clothes being packed in a plastic bag for the trip home. We grabbed a cleaning person from outside and she attempted to instruct us on how to use the machine, but it didn’t work, and she didn’t seem that helpful, or concerned. We also realized on our last day that the dishwasher was not operational (after we had loaded a bunch of dishes). Our room was void of any pots, pans, or cooking utensils, so it’s a good thing we didn’t plan to cook anything (spaghetti-o’s one night on a dinner plate in the microwave was as good as we got!). I’m sure if we had asked, we would have rec’d something to cook with, we just didn’t ask.

Speaking of food, we ate at both restaurants on the resort, and both were consistently good. We were never offered the meal plan, nor did we request it. It can get a little pricey (and mundane) eating at these places after a while, and another guest mentioned that they brought quite a bit of their own food along with them, including packing frozen meat to prepare in their room. The grouper sandwich and the Bluebeards hamburger in the casual dining room were both delicious.

Oh, one more service complaint (and then I’ll shut up, I promise!)…. The day we went to the private island for lunch there was a torrential downpour (and I mean torrential!). A resort employee knew that the rain was coming and quickly came out in one of the two resort-owned boats to retrieve us. In the meantime, the rain started, heavily. He skirted the boat around the storm for about 10-15 minutes before determining there was no way we could get back to the resort without heading directly into the rain and getting completely drenched. Okay, fine, this was Mother Nature - what are ya gonna do? The rain was blinding, and he had trouble seeing the resort. We finally hit the shoreline, and “the captain” promptly abandoned ship. He jumped out of the front of the boat like it was on fire and ran for cover under the Straw Bar area. My husband and I were left to fend for ourselves, get our gear, climb out of the back of the boat, etc. We’re laughing by this time, because, really, what else can you do? And so I’m thinking that the “captain” certainly ran ashore to grab towels for us since the pool towels were right in his path. We finally got out of the boat, ran for cover, only to find the captain standing on the covered deck with a towel around HIS head, drying himself off, ignoring us. Meanwhile, there were two other employees sitting in chairs watching the entire scene unfold. Obviously, at a high end resort, one would have expected SOMEONE to throw a towel in our direction, or offer assistance to two drowning rats paying a lot of money to stay there.

All in all, it is a very lovely resort, the boating people are friendly, the staff is courteous, it’s a very relaxed atmosphere, and perfect for a very quiet, peaceful getaway.

Nothing to do - but relax!

by hunter.nigel

"Just arriving and stuff"

We stayed at the Old Bahama Bay for a week in mid Jan this year. We had travelled from England to New York for a few days, and having hit the coldest New York weather in history, it was a relief to get to the relative warmth of the Bahamas. We flew in on a Continental airline 'minijet', which despite being tiny and having no entertainment was an experience.
We got to the hotel and were greeted warmly and shown to our room. The room was large and well appointed, with very comfortable furnishings, a simple but effective kitchen and a very well appointed bathroom. - All in all it was a very good room. We had booked a superior room, and Im unsure if there were any standard rooms - certainly from the outside all the rooms looked the same.
For the first two days the weather was 'fair' but not as good as we had hoped. We perservered, but to be honest there is 'bugger all' to do at Old Bahama Bay if the weather isnt good. Day three and the sun came out and the whole place took on a totally different complexion. I think by day three I had started to relax and the turn in the weather just came at the perfect time - all of a sudden - I relaxed!
From day three the place was amazing. The staff seemed more helpful than before, the bed seemed more comfortable and the restaurant seemed all the more fantastic. Did I mention the restaurant? We had booked half board and so got access to the main restaurant every evening. The menu and decor seemed out of place with the laid back atmosphere - they were both very cosmopolitan and 'sassy'.
I was there with my wife and son, who was celebrating his first birthday whilst there. The cook made him a special surprise birthday cake, and we ate it with the waiting staff and absolutely everone seemed relaxed!

"Picnic on deserted island"

For my sons first birthday we organised with the hotel for a trip to a small deserted island off Grand Bahama.
The hotel were keen to help, if not a little naive about what an English family would expect from a picnic. They tried to organise picnic food, and offered us anything from the beach bar menu, packed into a wicker basket. The trouble was that the menu was mainly burgers and fries, which isnt the best picnic food at the best of times, let alone one that is packed first thing in the morning and not due to be eaten for several hours! The hotel did do their best, and we ended up with some sandwiches, crisps and a few cakes - simple but adequate.
We went out to the island on speedboat, which was excellent fun - even for a one year old. We spent about 4 or 5 hours alone on the island, walking on sandbanks, collecting shells and generally spending the ultimate few hours of quality family time. I dont think Amos will remember his first birthday - but we will never forget it.

"The marina at the Old Bahama Bay"

Another Trip to The Bahamas

by jne7299318

"Freeport, Bahamas"

A timeshare exchange landed me in Freeport this year. This island, although much larger than Nassau, is quieter and less cosmopolitan. As a result, I found it quite amenable for a week of rest and relaxation with just enough activity to make my stay interesting and fun.

I happened to vacation on the island during the independence week. Junkanoo festivities were plentiful and provided an opportunity to take in some of the local customs and celebrations that take place on the Island. I also found out that the great jazz pianist, Count Basie had a home in Freeport and the plaza in Port Lucaya is named in his honor.

The biggest downfall with the trip was that it rained everyday for the first three days of my seven day stay. The upside to the rain is that it led to nice cool nights. Although it rained daily, there was enough dry time to allow for short stays on the beach and with some flexibility, an island tour was still able to take place.

"The Island of Grand Bahamas"

Grand Bahama Island is divided into three territories; Freeport, and the East and West ends. Freeport is the main tourist section of the island. Lucaya is host to several major hotels (Westin and Sheraton), a dock for yachts and other privately owned boats, and a shopping center that offers stores of all types. Freeport is the centermost portion of the island.

The East and West ends of the island have few, resorts. These are the two areas of the island that are home to native Bahamians. Smiling Pat, an independent tour operator, took us to the east and west ends where we actually got an opportunity to dine at places where local Bahamians eat and play. An afternoon was also spent at the five star Old Bahama Bay Resort, thanks again to Smiling Pat.

"Weather On The Island"

Typically, the month of July is not known for rain. However, because hurricane season on the island begins in June and ends in November, abnormal weather patterns can occur. As a result, out of seven days here on the island, it rained on three of them. Fortunately, there were enough dry spells on the rainy days that did allow for some time on the beach, shopping, etc. before the next downpour occurred.

Grand Bahamas are great!

by moneysavr

Just got back from the island had a great week stay and will be back soon!The Island Has Gone thru alot of changes in the past years with the closing of one casino and remodling of the other,The new hotels like Our Lucaya or Old Bahama Bay "the old jack tarr' resort at the west end,Some money is being spent and for all good things the Island that can be inexpensive to get to from the u.s. did get a bit run down, but now things have to change and big money is the answer!One company that runs the container port,now the airport,it needed help,and the resort our lucaya has a lot of capital at stake,so with this will come change and other propertys are following,like the old princess,Bahamia-towers,and country club is getting a major face lift!
So if you have not been dow to the Island give it a second thought will glad to answer any questions!

Wedding party at Bahama John'sWedding party at Bahama John's

Bahama JohnBahama John

Lucayan  BeachLucayan Beach

master bedroommaster bedroom

Golden rock beach

by Dada35

Hi; nest week we will go to Grand Bahama with a ship cruise. Our plan is to go to the Golden rock beach. I would like to ask if anybody know if is low tide in the morning ar in the afternoon. Thanks a lot!

Re: Golden rock beach

by mccalpin

I can't say that I know where Golden Beach is on Grand Bahama Island but this link for Settlement Point ought to work for you:

Bill