1 Sea Horse Lane, Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 31% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• VolsUT's Profile Photo

Beach front hotel

This hotel is loceted on the beach and across the street from the Lucaya shopping area. Like most hotels on the island the hotel is not very special (the typical has been beach resort) a resturant & bar a pool and beach access the Westin next door is about the same. This is not a bad hotel there is just nothing special about it.

• angelarm's Profile Photo

Sheraton, Grand Bahama Island, January 2005

I would definitely stay here again. We were able to buy 3 nights and get a 4th one free. However, we wanted to stay 5 nights. If we asked for a 5 day reservation we'd pay full price for each night. To remedy this, I bought the 4 nights through Sheraton and the 5th night through Travelocity. No problem, we let them know at checkin and were able to stay in the same room. They just had us check out on the 4th day & check back in, a formality. The rooms are not large, since it was converted from another resort. Bathrooms are tight, one person at a time, please!
    Alcoholic drinks at the poolside are $8 each. If there was a Happy Hour we weren't aware of it or weren't around.
    We felt relatively safe on the resort grounds but they are not private so be aware. One time my mom and I were walking between Westin and Sheraton and two young men were walking towards us & nearly bumped into us--we had to maneuver around them. It did seem a little intimidating, but they didn't rob us. There is a casino on site open only to island visitors. We both lost a bit of cash there!
    The restaurants were alright, but the breakfast brunches at Barracuda's and Willie Broadleaf's were overpriced ($18/person plus 15% gratuity) and the some of the food seemed, well, reheated. Nothing special. China Grill (pan-Asian) and Portobello's (Italian cuisine) are better options, good ambience, mood lighting, and discreet service. Since we spent quite a bit of money on food (made the mistake of adding another 15-20% or more on the standard 15% tip at the Prop Club--gratuity is usually already on your bill) there were times when we were glad for a simple Subway or convenience store snack. We liked Zorba's Greek Restaurant at Port Lucaya Marketplace for a casual, cheap lunch of gyros and Greek salad.
    Overall the island itself seemed a little light on the attractions we were looking for, not as well-maintained as we were hoping, but we went for a relaxing getaway and that's what we found, and were more than satisfied with Our Lucaya Resort.

Unique Quality: As a guest of the Sheraton, you may use the facilities at the Westin next door and Pelican Bay across the street (and vice versa). There is a large fitness center at the spa at the far end of the Westin. Bit of a walk, but if you are concerned about fitness, not an issue. The whole resort has several pools and never felt crowded during our stay.
    Front desk service was fantastic, not rushed, and attentive. There was no mini-fridge in our room when we arrived so when we called about it, they apologized and sent one up promptly, then offered to take $25 off our bill for the inconvenience.

More about Radisson Our Lucaya Resort, Grand Bahama

This was the view from my...

by kathycollins

This was the view from my balcony at Our Lucaya. My first visit was not satisfactory, and the manaagement invited me back - and treated me like a VIP! It was a MUCH more pleasant stay. I had a fantastic time!
Check out speacial web deals at the Our Lucaya website - much better than other webdeals for this hotel when I was pricing it.OurLucaya

Our Lucaya - Lighthouse Point

by Zenobi2004 about Port Lucaya

Very nice spa. Walking distance to straw market to shop. Outdoor entertainment at Port Lucaya near bay. Venture out to fish fry on the beach every Wednesday...music, fresh fried fish and counch fritters. Take a bus to the Casino from the hotel...and don't forget Junkanoo festival in January. Enjoyed the hospitality of the locals and the food.

We had a disappointing time at...

by kathycollins

We had a disappointing time at our accommodations at Our Lucaya - a 5 star up-scale resort that had just opened. Although we paid an undiscounted fee everything was not ready for occupation! Fortunately management has been receptive to my complaints so I'll be going back later this year to see if things are more established and running smoother!*****Went back in November and had a totally different experience - much better facilities and SERVICE! the Weather co-operated, too, to make this a great trip.

Windy Day at Westin Our LucayaWindy Day at Westin Our Lucaya

Lucayan Harbour and Port Lucaya - are they the same?

by zambrij

Can't find any good maps to figure this out so can someone tell me, is the Lucayan Harbour where the cruise ships dock and Port Lucaya, a marina, in the same place? Are they the same port with 2 names? Or, are they in two totally different locations? I will be visiting for the 1st time and am trying to figure out exactly where I'll be and what there will be to do there. Thank you!!

Re: Lucayan Harbour and Port Lucaya - are they the same?

by stan909

zambrij ,thanks for you the question.Lucayan Harbour and Port Lucaya is two differant place. it is five miles apart.
But never the less ,you will be visiting the port lucaya are. there you will be doing you shopping for souvenir, beaching and visiting the casino, where I work.
enjoy your trip and thanks for choosing the Bahamas

Re: Lucayan Harbour and Port Lucaya - are they the same?

by grandmaR

I'm not sure where the cruise ships dock.

Port Lucaya is the name of one of the marinas in Lucaya - it's the westernmost one. That is the one closest to the Marketplace and the Count Basie bandstand. Lucaya Village Marina is on the east side of the entrance. The hotels (such as Our Lucaya) are around the boat basin, which is too small for a big cruise ship. There are some cruise ship moorings off Lucaya near the Bell Channel Marker, but I've never seen any there.

RE: Lucayan Harbour and Port Lucaya - are they the same?

by CarrieK

Hi,

Lucayan Harbour is where the cruiseships dock.

Port Lucaya Marketplace is in the Lucaya area of Grand Bahama Island, just across the street from the Our Lucaya hotels (www.starwoodhotels.com) - the Sheraton and Westin Breakers Cay at Our Lucaya. Port Lucaya Marketplace's website is: www.portlucaya.com

Port Lucaya Marketplace is in a nice waterfront setting with several restaurants, bars, shops, a large straw market as well as free nightly entertainment in the main square.

A taxi from the Lucayan Harbour (cruiseship harbor) to Port Lucaya Marketplace will cost about $25 for one or two people, and $3 for each additional person. If you have luggage, they also charge $1 for each piece of luggage.

Hope this information helps you.

best regards

Carrie
carriek5@hotmail.com

RE: RE: Lucayan Harbour and Port Lucaya - are they the same?

by grandmaR

If someone is visiting from a cruise ship, why would they have luggage?

If you are not landing at the airport with luggage, it is far cheaper to take a jitney bus to wherever you want to go - costs about $1. There's a stop right at the Our Lucaya hotel area. Mostly in Lucaya itself, everything is within walking distance or accessible by water taxi.

AFAIK, the harbor in Freeport is where all the big ships dock such as oil tankers and container ships. It is also the name of the airport. It is NOT a tourist location. I don't know if they call Freeport Harbor "Port Lucaya".

Comments