Bay and Hill St. Dunmore Town, , Caribbean

More about Rock House

Hostess ruined 2 years of going to the Rock House!

by TripAdvisor Member Audiowner

After vacationing for least six years to Harbour Island (we fell in love with it once we first came six years ago - won't go anywhere else) we thought that The Rock House was the coolest, most socialable bar/lounge area to hit the island when it open a couple of years ago. We spent every night of our 10 day stay there - even though we stayed at another hotel due to cost and loudness of the proximity of the rooms to the bar area (yes, we do need some sleep on vacation). We met new fascinating people every night and had a great time. Well, things have changed. They now have a hostess who stops you at the store with a rude attitude. If you don't have dinner reservations, you are felt not welcome. By 10 p.m. the place shuts down and you are pretty much rushed out the door. We heard this from a lot of visitors on the island when we were there. We wish them luck for the future but we won't be stopping by again.

Know what you are getting into.......

I chose this hotel as a surprise trip for my wife. I made the reservations myself; even called the hotel 3 months in advanced; Let me list the facts:
-Hotel is very nicely appointed
-great kitchen but liked the food better at the landing.
-Nobody assisted us with our bags coming in.
-It is the first time inmy life we get to a hotel (no matter how small) and are told that the restaurant is closed on tuesdays... if you get there on a tuesday pack your lunch/dinner!
-I was miseld by the staff when making reservations; the thruth is that the hotel faces the municipal dock; it is rigth on a street where trucks drive by (yes you do hear them in your room).
-The room we stayed in (The Palm room) the door faces the entrance hallway thus you hear everything that comes in or goes out of the hotel.
-It is walking distance from the beach; if you do not mind walking a distance equivalent to 3 city blocks.
-The hotel does provide beach chairs and umbrellas; everything else you have to carry it yourself to the beach.
-The beaches at harbour Island are probably one of the most beatiful in the world after Bora Bora.
-Go to Harbor Island with lots of cash; prices are ridiculous for cab service and shuttle boats to and from the airport.
-room closets are minimal; beds are extremely comfortable.
-Of the 2 owners one of them was understanding and accomodating; for that we are thankful; the other one was the rudest person we have ever met; please learn from your business partner some manners.

We booked the hotel for 6 nigths and left the day after we arrived; it was way below our expectations; I did not mind they keeping my 1200 dollar "3 day guarantee"; they will sure need that money to correct their advertising and make it more realistic. We have traveled worldwide and we have never been deceived in such a blatant way; we booked a last minute cruise to the eastern caribbean instead!

That is my dose of reality; it is what it is!

I highly reccommend to all...

I went to the Rock House last December with my boyfriend. We had a fabulous time on our first trip to Harbour Island. Service was curteous, the room was sheek and impeccably clean and dining at the Rock House was a great culinary experience with wonderful presentation. I would wholeheartedly reccommend the Rock House to anyone looking for a sophisticated getaway.

Rock House Rocks

After seven days at the Rock House in Harbour Island, Bahamas, I knew I found a "home" in the Caribbean. Undoubtedly, the hotel and restaurant are run by service professionals. Everyone, including other guests, was upbeat and friendly. The staff was friendly and accomodating making me feel special yet comfortable.

The decor and cleanliness absolutely floored me. The Rock House is beautiful and clean. The same consistency carried in my room and the restaurant.

The food was the best on the island. I've never eaten in a restaurant that makes excellent seafood AND meat. My favorites were grouper AND lamb, but everything on the menu is superior!

The Rock House rocked my world; I know it will rock yours.

Rock Solid Service

My girlfriend and I stayed at The Rock House for 5 days in January. The House is beautiful, the service second to none, and Don the Manager (definately the hardest working man in showbusiness!) could not have done more to make us feel at home. We were originally staying in the (small) Monkey Room, Don saw that it was a bit cramped for us and immediately moved us into a 2 room suite. The staff are attentive and courtious without being intrusive. The food is the best on the Island and there is nothing the staff will not do to make their guests feel at home. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone, we will be definately be going back and would not consider staying anywhere else.

Tropical Paradise

My husband and I just returned from an unbelievable and wonderful weekend at the Rock House in Harbor Island in The Bahamas. As we planned our weekend away from our busy schedules and overwhelming city traffic, our stay at The Rock House was exactly what we were looking for. The casual yet elegant accomodations, casual and fine dining options along with the friendly staff made our stay special and memorable. The food was incredible!! The fish (freshly caught the same day) was exquisite, the tuna perfectly prepared, and for my husband (the "picky" meat & potatoes kind of guy..) raved about his dish..and still does...

The desserts (made in-house) were good enough to forget the diet and the selection of wines completed our incredible dining experiences. Of course, we also enjoyed having their famous burger while sitting by the bar and pool area. It was casual, and a perfect lunch before leaving to explore the island.
Rent a golf cart while you are there and be prepared to see beautiful pink beaches, clear Bahamian waters, and the most friendliest people.. Everybody says hello!!!
As we were heading back in the water taxi to North Eleuthera to catch our flight, we looked back to this exclusive island and saw this was trully a Tropical Paradise.
So, if you are looking to getaway from the traffic, congestion, and schedules, - and want to enjoy wonderful accomodations, fine dining, beautiful views, ocean breezes, pink sandy beaches and top personalized service - The Rock House at Harbor Island will meet your expectations. They certainly exceeded ours!

A big thanks to all at The Rock House. Check them out at ----

Rock House, Harbour Island's Jewel

The bar has been raised! We have traveled far and wide to many caribbean and European islands (over 30 years) and we now have hit the jackpot--Rock House on Harbour Island. It is clear that the Rock House makes perfection it's goal. The design and location of the rooms, the pool and the restaurant are architectually brilliant. There is beauty, cleanliness and great taste in every direction your eyes go. The rooms are decorated in a comfortable and tasteful way--great furniture, comfortable bed and wonderful linens and bath products. But for those who must, there is also wireless internet. You could easily stay by the pool which is close to all of the rooms and have your complimentary breakfast, with excellent coffee, muffins, juice, etc. and even hang around until lunch, which is prepared for guests only. This gives you privacy and makes you feel like a guest at a private home. If you feel you must drag yourself away, the beach is a fun and short two block walk away--and what a marvelous beach--Rock House provides comfortable beach chairs and umbrellas. Dining was always fun and the food was fabulous. The chef, a lovely Australian woman, always inquired what we wanted for lunch and she makes the best ice cream that I ever ate! Perhaps most important of all, the staff, including the owners, Don and Wallace, were always accessible, working hard, answering questions, suggesting places to go and things to do, introducing guests to each other and interacting with every level of guest as if they were royalty--even in the midst of hosting the prime minister of the Bahamas, who was a guest at the hotel and having dinner while we were there--all of this going on without a flaw. Best of all there was always fun and laughter and great music and the greatest staff with nicknames like Fluffy the bartender and Mad Woman the maid and Flo. Given the ease of getting to Harbour Island from Washington, DC and the great experience we had at Rock House, we will definitely come back and it just might replace our other favorite beach destination.

A hotel or a restaurant?

The Rock House is indeed a wonderful place, and I would not hesitate to go back. The sense of design is evident throughout the hotel, and the room we Nautilus room was no exception. The choice of furniture, carpeting, window treatments, etc. all contribute to creating a very soothing atmosphere.
The service we encountered was the best we've experienced anywhere in the Bahamas. The two owners are involved on a daily basis, and their enthusiasm and spirit is reflected in everyone who works for them. I felt at home! Their energy is part of what makes the Rock House a wonderful place.
In the evenings, the hotel turns into a restaurant. 3/4 of the grounds become spaces for tables. The food was the best we had (and way outshone The Landing from next door, whose food was really nothing to write about, and whose service was really sour!).
What you won't get at the Rock House is seclusion. While our room was comfortably sized if not huge, the pool, cabanas, and lounge area are it in terms of places to hang out, and from 6pm to 11pm, they are a restaurant! So the pool (which is now in the middle of the restaurant) is unavailable during this time, and likewise there is no place to hang out in the evening that is not part of the restaurant. This was a bit frustrating (as it's not really comfortable to show up in shorts when everyone else around you is in "smart casual" wear).
So overall, what you have is a compact but really first class place. Compared to other places we've been, the service, the look, the food, are among the best.

This boutique hotel isn't for everyone

by TripAdvisor Member ggyItalia

It’s been two months since I visited the Rock House on Harbour Island and the memories still play back in vivid colors.

However, this hotel isn’t for everyone.

If you prefer the anonominity of a large hotel where you have to walk miles to your room and no one knows you from Adam, you won’t like the family atmosphere and the feeling of staying in someone’s home, yet with all the freedom to come and go as you please.

If you are accustomed to, and prefer, having to call reception to get an iron delivered to your room so you can iron out travel wrinkles from your clothes, you won’t like the luxury service of letting the house staff iron it for you instead.

If you get your kicks out of bullying hotel staff to get your needs met, you won’t like the fact that at The Rock House, you simply need to ask for whatever you desire and they will do the best they can to make you happy.

If you like to play the victim working out in an under-equipped gym, you’ll be sorely disappointed because one of the owners, himself, is a fitness buff and has personally chosen the state of the art gym equipment.

But, if you do like to be pampered in a beautiful setting where the people around you seem genuinely happy to see you each day of your stay, then this boutique hotel is just the ticket for a truly relaxing holiday surrounded by smiles, sunshine, luxury and fabulous dining.

There are a few things that I would put on a ‘don’t miss’ list.
Don’t miss sampling a frozen MOAM (Mother of All Martini’s) at the bar.
Don’t miss one of Claudine’s massages. She’s got the healing touch and is just the thing to help let those stresses and strains of your everyday world just melt away.
Don’t miss the dinners! Not only is the view of the bay spectacular at sunset, it’s a testimony in itself that you will see people from other hotels choose dinner at the Rock House night after night over other choices on the island.
Don’t miss getting to know people at the bar for cocktails before dinner. It was one of the friendliest bars I’ve ever been to in a hotel!

Oh, one last thing. I read someone who complained that it isn’t situated on the beach. The pink sand beach is a hop skip and a jump away and, along the way, you get to see the famous roosters, kids playing at school and a chance to chat with some of the islanders. I went to the mega-hotel on the other side of the island and found the walk to the beach on the hotel property wasn’t as much fun and it actually took longer to get there so don’t be fooled by the fact that it overlooks the bay and isn’t on the beach. It’s better the way it is.

Rock House keeps getting better

I visited the Rick House for the second year in a row and must admit to being blown away once again. Owner Don Purdy and his superlative staff did an amazing job at making our vacation a truly spectacular one. This year we stayed in the Pineapple room, which boasts a beautifully appointed patio/terrace overlooking the Harbour. Sunsets were absolutely breathtaking, with reflections from the water illuminating the entire room. While some early-to-bed types might frown at the slight noise from the adjacent dining room, we were not disturbed in the least. The staff does a great job of shutting all activity down by 11:00pm at the latest. The restaurant was superb, including the food, service and smiles from everyone on staff. You will not find a more beautifully appointed boutique resort anywhere in the world. Rock House is as good as it gets.

Comments