Staniard Creek, , Andros, Caribbean

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 54% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Kamalame Cay

Morgan's BluffMorgan's Bluff

Stall serving fried rice w/crab and conk frittersStall serving fried rice w/crab and conk fritters

Nicholls cresent beachNicholls cresent beach

Pub by the shipping yardPub by the shipping yard

Married in the Bahamas

by Kimbie71

Hello All,
I am thinking about getting married somewhere in the Carribean and I would like some information about the Bahamas. Does anyone have information on the Atlantis? Or any other nicer hotels/resorts there?Has anyone ever married here? How was that experience?

Thanks,
Kim

Re: Married in the Bahamas

by leffe3

HI Kim

You'll see on my Nassau pages that I refered to Atlantis as 'the blot on the landscape' - a 1000+ roomed, 2 towered hotel. Its gross.

One extraordinary place on the island is Compass Point - a small 'resort' hotel in Compass Point. Its about 30 minutes from Nassau (20 minutes from Cable Bay) and regarded as one of the most luxurious spots in The Bahamas. It doesn't come cheap, but it would be something very special for your honeymoon.

www.islandoutpost.com/CompassPoint/index.html

Good luck
Be well
Keith

Re: Re: Married in the Bahamas

by Kimbie71

Hello Keith,
Thanks for getting back with me. I was so excited when I read your email because you confirmed all the feelings and research I have been doing in the past couple of days. I have been researching 4 hotels: Atlantis, Compass Point, Pink Sands, and Kamalame Cay. From the research I have done on the Atlantis it seemed to remind me of Vegas even though I have never been to Vegas. It just did not seem to be the place for my wedding/honeymoon. It seemed to big and impersonal. As of yesterday afternoon the one place that stood out to me was Compass Point. And to my amazement this morning I read your email and you confirmed all my thougts exactly. It's gotta be a sign!!!!(even though I am not superstitious) My fiance's name is also Keith!!!

Thanks a lot for you help,
Kim

Re: Re: Married in the Bahamas

by leffe3

Call it serendipity LOL

CP really is a lovely spot - we didn't stay there as we were doing 3nights on our way to Cuba (weird juxtaposition of the island with highest percentage of millionaires followed by Castro's Cuba), so didn't need anything fancy (Orange Hill Bay). But we did eat there one night - best restaurant on the island. Nice thing about it is its isolation - at the end of the mini-bus service along the coast to Nassau, and as Cable Beach and Orange Hill Bay come before you reach Compass Point, few people bother. There's a recording studio at CP (not part of the complex) so you do get, at times, rock chics etc hanging out, which is fun as the place can never be 'precious' or 'stuffy'. But even if it comes as too expensive for your whole honeymoon time, would be worth staying a few nights and then moving on to another place or island in the Bahamas.

Be well, all best wishes and congratulations!
Keith

Travel Tips for Andros Island

Andros Island, Bahamas

by coneyislandgreen

Andros Island is not a tourist destination in a sense. It's more for the native Bahamians a place to live and for the occasional adventurous tourist a place to fish or scuba. It hails itself as the bone fishing capital of the world and also has the third largest barrier reef as well. While the other islands bank on heavy tourism Andros island ships them fresh water from it's vast inland.

The largest and least explored of all the Bahamas when you land you feel a slowness of character after the aerial view of a unexplored vastness. The landing strip is small, the international arrival building is also a small yellow room and although there are plenty of places to eat and drink they are probably someones house who will treat it as a pub if it means some extra money. There is not much money on Andros but the untouched beaches and normal everyday people, about 9,000, on the island make it a unique and rewarding place to be in the world.

Andros is blessed with natural wonders. A blue hole, many are sometimes shallow and blue or deep and green. They are formed from sinking sand and the coral life conitnues to thrive in them even inland because Andros is so shallow it was once under the water. Most life is on the east coast of Andros and much of it is untouched leaving pristine place to seek and find. There are nice family owned motels and lodges for anyone visiting Andros and the food from anyone of the locals places is fantastic like their conk fritters, a big snail from a conk shell dipped in spicy batter and fryed into puffy breads rounds.

Andros Island - No tourists, just sand and water

by E_R_I_C

"Just a quick visit"

I flew to Andros Island in a US Navy cargo plane - something like a C-3, but I can't recall what it actually was. From Jacksonville, it was a pretty long flight, especially since I had to be strapped into a little chair that was less comfortable than an old lawn chair... you know, the kind with the nylon mesh straps. Oh, and of course there was no air conditioning. But who am I to complain?

Anyway, the island is inhabited mostly by locals and the Navy base. That's about it. There are no commercial hotels or big businesses there of any sort. I rented a snorkel, mask and fins and spent part of a day swimming around a manmade barrier reef, accompanied by some barracudas that were interested in me. That was the highlight. That, and spending an evening at the local beach bar that was straight out of a Jimmy Buffett song.

The island is actually the largest of the Bahaman islands. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is too low-lying to accommodate any big resorts and they are restricted from building there. I was sent down there to write a story for the Navy about an aviation training school that is conducted there (and probably still is today). The sad thing is, I don't think I kept a copy of the story or even any of the photos I took. Maybe I'll run across some. I know I have them packed away somewhere.

But overall, it was a very awesome experience. The beach was EMPTY and there were no tourists on the island AT ALL. The bad thing is that there was nobody with me to share the adventure. Oh, and it would have been nice to have a few good restaurants. :-)

Comments