Cape Santa Maria, Off Queen's Hwy, Long Island, Caribbean
Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort

Honeymoon at Cape Santa Maria

My husband and I honeymooned at CSM in November. It was for us, the trip of a life time. We found the rooms to be comfortable, clean and well maintained. The staff and management increadibly helpful.

We had heard about the robbery, but our rooms were equiped with safes which with used with no problem. Oddly enough, I had dropped a ring in the room and had not realized it. The cleaning staff found it and put it next the dresser!

The food was amazing! Particularly lunches and dinners. It was such a relaxing time! We spent a couple of days bone fishing (a must) as well as snorkling. We were very lucky to be able to have our honeymoon at Cape Santa Maria!

THE BEST ON LONG ISLAND

by enofile about CAPE SANTA MARIA BEACH RESORT

Your room is one half of a duplex cottage on the best beach overlooking the most beautiful water. The accommodations are large and charming in a rustic Caribbean manner. While the living quarters are air-conditioned, a screened in porch allows you to feel the ocean breezes. The bathroom will fit all your needs. The resort provides all the recreational activity you desire including scuba, kayaks, fishing, bicycles etc. These are mostly due a hefty extra cost. The restaurant is servicable, yet rather expensive as everything must be shipped in to this idyllic island. The resort was simply beautiful but rather stuffy and the clientele somewhat aristocratic. It was expensive, but I would say you get what you pay for. The beach and the water were the most beautiful I have experienced anywhere in the world. The setting is simply incredible!

Christopher Columbus on Long Island

by JessH

Long Island is considered to be one of Columbus' early stops (Oct. 17th 1492), probably his third, after San Salvador and Rum Cay. Indians supposedly called it "Yuma" and Columbus named it "Fernandina" after his mentor in Spain.

His "landing-point" - Cape Santa Maria - is located on the northwest coast of Long Island. Cape Santa Maria is at the island's northern tip and was named by Christopher Columbus after one of his ships. The beach is in a protected bay that faces northwest. It is mostly calm and, even with strong inland winds, it is still swimmable and enjoyable.
The main geographical feature is a shallow, sheltered bay lined by white sandy beaches and lush green plant life.

Although a tourist attraction, we didn't really encounter anyone else and had the lagoon for ourselves for 2 hours... paradise!

A Slice of Heaven

by TripAdvisor Member whywaitinc

After reading the negative review from the guests from Atlanta, I felt compelled to write about my positive experience at Cape Santa Maria. As a single mother travelling alone with a nine year old daughter, I always felt safe at Cape Santa Maria, day and night. We were able to relax and unwind on the amazingly beautiful beach. The staff was always helpful and management treated us like long time friends. Common sense dictated that I lock my Rolex Watch, Diamond Earrings, Passport, Airline Tickets and Cash in the in room safe - I would do the same at any hotel or resort. My daughter and I live in the Metropolitan Washington, D.C. area, where I don't let her play alone in the confines of our backyard. While at the Cape she freely played in the sand on the beach, fished with other guests and I never worried about her safety. Cape Santa Maria is a safe, peaceful and relaxing place. The perfect place to let your children romp freely in the turqoise sea and talcum white sand.

Gorgeous beach

by TripAdvisor Member sowarr

I just got back from Cape Santa Maria and felt compelled to write this review. This is by far the most gorgeous beach I have ever seen; white sugar sand and turquoise water. The pictures used to advertise this place are not enhanced; it is as spectacular as shown.
We stayed here during spring break. It was about 80% occupied but still very quiet. This is not a place to come to party but to relax.
We scuba dived with Delbert and reef fished with Bert. Both were great guides. Delbert even loaned me his wetsuit when I got cold. All activities are personalized and not with a large group.
The rooms are large and clean with great screened porches though not exactly luxurious. Fabrics could use an upgrade.
The only complaint I have with Cape Santa Maria is the restaurant service. At times it was very slow and the staff forgot our order at least twice during a four day stay. The food though was very good and had a nice variety for such a remote location.
A notice to pilots: My husband flew our cessna 182 into the small strip at the resort with no problems whatsoever. Very convenient!

Best Christmas Ever

This year we decided to take a warm winter vacation over the Christmas holiday. We chose Cape Santa Maria after speaking with priate pilot frends (we have our own plane). What a great choice! We travel a lot to throughout the Carribean and have spent time at a great variety of locations. Nothing compares to Cape Santa Maria in over all quality. First of all the beach is simply the best we have ever seen. White soft sand and the water is crystal clear and very warm considering it was end of December. Second was the managemant and staff. They could not do enough for us and we were impressed that every evening without fail Wendy, the manager made an effort to visit every table in the dining room to see how everyone was doing. Breanda at the front desk had a smile for everyone. We took advantage of the adventure cruise which included a snorkeling trip and it is a must do. Had a great time swiming with the spotted rays and numerous tropical fish. Our accomodation was right on the beach and was very comfortable. We had a look at the new Villas on the Beach and they are impressive. I understand that they are both for sale and for rent, so we are considering bringing our family next Christmas and stay in the larger accomodation. If you are looking for a beach holiday at a first class resort, Cape Santa Maria would be our choice.

Our home away from home

My wife and I have been visiting Cape Santa Maria for the past twelve years, and over that period we have watched this little jewel in the Bahamas develop into what it is today. Simply this is barefoot elegance at its best. The resort while small is the perfect place to kick back and escape from the stress that envelops everyone in today’s fast paced hectic world.

The resort is situated on what must be one of the world’s finest swimming beaches encompassing both shallow and deep water with no surf, undertow or current. The water is warm and only a few steps from the charming duplexes that provide all the amenities and comforts of a five star city hotel. The Club House is only a short walk from the duplexes along a meandering boardwalk that at night is lit with soft path lights that provide a wonderful romantic walk before and after dinner. The Club House has a small very attractive bar that conveys a feeling of inclusiveness, and provides a place where guests can meet the other visitors or enjoy a quite intimate drink before dinner watching the sun go down over the Atlantic. The dining room opens to allow full enjoyment to those warm tropical Bahamian evenings, and the food only compliments the overall ambience.

Returning year after year confirms our love for this place and the island people who staff the facility. Over the years staff turnover has been nominal with the result that many of the employees have become like a second family to us.The attitude and friendliness of these people is so different from what one experiences in Nassau. The local residents are very loyal religious people and while this alone does not rule out the possibility of crime, after thirteen years of staying at the resort without locking a door we are very comfortable that this is a very safe environment. Notwithstanding, locks and safes are provided and should be used as a matter of good order albeit the island is for all intense and purposed is crime free.

Over the past two years two fourplexes have been built. The pace of construction is limited in that the resort is ensuring that all the required labour to the extent possible is being provided by residents of Long Island. Because the labour pool is very limited this restricts the level and pace of development. Some are concerned over additional development but frankly, in today’s world a resort on five miles of waterfront with twenty hotel type rooms plus two fourplexes is a long way from over development! This is an owner’s labour of love, not a profit motivated development of some greedy investment banker! Cape Santa Maria Resort is as good as it gets so pack your bags and go see for yourself – perhaps we will meet you there next year.

the best vacation

by TripAdvisor Member djw15

My wife and I stayed at the Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort for 6 nights at the end of July 2005. Just prior to arriving, I read the extremely negative reviews and wondered what we were heading into. What we experienced was the "very best vacation", my wife's words, we ever had. If you want to get away from it all and decompress, this is the place to do it. The Cape's setting provides a wonderful area to relax, take nature in or do any number of water based activites. The rooms were clean and spacious. The screened porches(verandas) provide an added feature to enjoy oneself. The staff was exceptional. We did not have a bad encounter with anyone, from the gardener to manager. All were very helpful and cheery. The food was very good. Not 5 star cuisine, but well prepared, tasty and good portions. We survived on 2 meals a day; a large breakfast and dinner. And finally, as far as safety; I, nor my wife, ever felt threatened or at risk at any time. After one day at the resort, it became obvious to me that safety was not an issue and the reviews that I read where hyperbole. Once inside the room, the doors do lock and a safe is present in the room. I would run early every morning for one hour, leaving my wife asleep in an unlocked room. It is that safe. By all means, go to the Cape is you want a relaxing and memorable vacation. One reason that I am writing a review is to make sure that people can experience the Cape as my wife and I did. We will be back in the near future.

Perfection

Simply the best beach vacation my wife and I have ever taken. The water was perfect - warm, shallow, clear, calm. Hotel facilities were exceptionally clean. The sand was so fine it felt like we were walking on baby powder. The food was good - we recommend the meal plan. You can order anything off of the menu (lobster, steak, fresh fish, shrimp). It's a 4-course meal. The staff was friendly. Frank and Wendy were exceptional (Managers). The island is secluded, safe and beautiful. Bungalows located right on the beach are all westward facing with perfect sunset views. You must go here. We will return.

Long Is. - I love the Bahamas this way!!!

by Sergeyu

"Victorious feeling upon reaching Cape Santa Maria"

"Beach at Cape Santa Maria (tsss!)- Bahama's best!"

"The time well spent"

Cape Santa Maria beachCape Santa Maria beach

Cape Santa MariaCape Santa Maria

Cape Santa Maria on Long IslandCape Santa Maria on Long Island

wave pools-real swimming!wave pools-real swimming!

Does anyone know of a hideaway or isolated hotel/resort?

by micahandalicia

I found a wonderful, isolated resort called Verana near Puerto Vallarta. The web address is www.verana.com. This is exactly what I want for my honeymoon. The problem is that it closes the week before my wedding. Does anyone know of a resort that is similar? Thanks for your help!

RE: Does anyone know of a hideaway or isolated hotel/resort?

by sanscott

Check out
http://www.losaltosdeeros.com/- Costa Rica
www.lamansioninn.com/ - Costa Rica
www.ceibadelmar.com - Riveria Maya
www.paraisodelabonita.com - Riveria Maya

All are awesome

RE: Does anyone know of a hideaway or isolated hotel/resort?

by greatlife

Hey why not try the Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort.The website is www.capesantamaria.com. Trust me its wonderful!!!!!!!

Caribbean Beaches

by ichibon

I am looking for the best Caribbean beach with best value for the money. Could be an island or country with a Caribbean coast line, such as Venezuela, need somewhere to go on short notice, I and my lady friend have a couple of unexpected weeks in late February to find some sun, and need a place that is easy for both her and I to get to, she lives in UK and I live in USA. Anyone?

RE: Caribbean Beaches

by solarone

if you consider airfare Trinidad might be best as Bewee has service from both uk and usa I'm also fond of Belize and it is cheap compared to some Carribean Islands, outside of Belize City it is a great place to visit.
ALAN

RE: Caribbean Beaches

by greatlife

The Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort sounds like the best spot, check out the website its www.capesantamaria.com Its really great and the price its bad at all

island trip with kids

by klhlash

Hi all,
I've been reading thru old posts researching, but I'm still unsure where I should take the kids this April so I'm hoping you'll help. Which island would be best for the kids (14,10,8,4)to do snorkeling from the beach, see local animals, birds, (turtles would be a big plus) and do some day trips with the kids. Not interested in a big resort, have looked at the maho camps in in St. John they seemed the perfect fit, but can't afford to get two tents, looking for a moderate priced place ($150 night) clean, but with local atmosphere and family friendly.

any help is very appreciated,

by Craigellachie

Some may think it a cliche but I think Barbados is a wonderful place for kids. South coast is cheaper but snorkelling is better on the west coast. Having said that April is in the middle of the dry season so the sea will be much calmer in teh south than it is in July/August when I would tend to go. Harrison's Cabve would be a good day (or half day) trip for the range of ages you mention.

by ptezoe

Dominica (not the Dominican republic) is a fantastic family destination! It is known as the Nature Island of the Caribbean and there is a lot of fun stuff for kids to do like river tubing, snorkeling, bird watching, hiking, swimming in the ocean, rivers or waterfalls... a trip to remember! You can rent a nice cottage for the price you mentioned. Try www.travelbarefoot.com for accommodation and travel tips.

Enjoy your vacation!

by vanderlust

Don't give up on St. John. It is the perfect island for a trip with kids. You'll find plenty of wildlife, calm, warm waters for the kids to smorkel in. Turtles and rays abound. Try this website to see of one of the rentals will work for you. In the past we have found a two bedroom for $1000/wk.

by greatlife

Hey the Cape Santa Maria is a nice resort for kids and for you to relax, however am not sure its in Your budget range. but you can still check it out, the website is www.capesantamaria.com,i think you will love it!!!

Comments