3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

West Bay Street, P.O. Box CB 13842, Nassau, New Providence Island, Caribbean

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Rated 19% higher but also costs 35% more than other 3.5 star hotels

• Compass Point: Great Place to be Poisoned!

I stopped off at the Compass Point restaurant for lunch on 10/4/2011 and ordered the grilled fish of the day (that took 45 minutes). Within 3 hours (thankfully back in Florida), I was on the toilet for the rest of the day. Then next day, I couldn't get out of bed with weakness and flu-like symptoms. Now 6 days later, I'm still suffering from a classic case of "Ciguatera", cause by eating toxic fish like Barracuda. I'll probably be sick for weeks to months.

I was later told by a Bahama Customs agent that restaurants will sometimes serve Barracuda because it's cheap and plentiful and they expect most customers won't know the difference. (I didn't know I and it tasted fine.)

A friend of mine was also there later that week and had diarrhea all day from eating their fish and chips, although is not as sick as me.

If you frequent the Bahamas as I do for business, you’ll have to put up with the typical total lack of enthusiasm, attentiveness, and downright disdain from Bahamian staff, as well as a “Why should I care if you’re not handing me money?” and “It must be YOUR fault” attitude that is common amongst the locals.

But I suspect Compass Point is knowingly serving toxic fish to unsuspecting customers that they know will be long gone before they get sick (with my backpack, it was obvious I was not staying there). They certainly have no quality control over what they’re serving.

And why not? It's the Bahamas, Mon! It would take a year and 10 bribes before their "Health Department" did anything about it.

Unique Quality: Yea, the view is nice but I can look at the ocean somewhere where I'm NOT eating toxic food.

• Compass Point Bahamas WORST hotel

This place is a glorified Boy Scout Camp, painted like a McDonald's Play Land. If you have $400 to spend on a room/night, I would suggest ANY other hotel on Nassau. This is NOT above a 3 star, and could easily be a 2 star.

My partner and I stayed at Compass Point for one night. We arrived on Dec 8, for a nephews wedding at the hotel the following day, Wed. Dec. 9th. In July 2009 I contacted the hotel directly with some pre-booking questions. I was immediately concerned by the snotty attitude of the front desk. So much so, that after several calls, and rude treatment, I would only book through the wedding planner Anita.

Why she is not the General Manager is ridiculous. She seems to be the ONLY person there that gives a crap. During the wedding, this classy good looking 50-something woman, was working her butt off. She was sweating hard as she served drinks, made drinks, served food, cleared food, pretty much EVERYTHING, with very little or no assistance from any of the other staff. And there is a lot of staff here, too bad none of them like to work, and are so often unpleasant. If this was my only impression of the Bahamas, I would suggest skipping the Bahamas altogether.

This place is a good deal, if you were paying $85.00/night. Not the $400.00, plus hidden fees, they charge. And there ARE hidden fees, so BEWARE!!! They also charged my credit card twice, once in August 2009. And again in October 2009. When I called the General Manager, he seemed pretty ill-equiped to handle the error, and the staff. Almost like he was afraid of them. Very weird.

With disgust, I called Anita to handle it because I hated speaking with him and the front desk so much.

Anyway, if you are planning a wedding, this place is okay, but ONLY if Anita is in charge. I would NOT stay here overnight. The food was VERY good, and Brendan the new chef from Atlanta seems very talented. Again, I think he does ALL the work, and the remaining staff are slackers. This guy always looked exhausted and everyone else kind of stood around. Management might like to invest in some nice clean upscale chef's jackets for him. The poor guy looked like hell in the cheap-looking, stained and ill-fitting jackets he had.

I must say, ALL the food we had here was excellent. If it was available. Check with your server, to see what is available, and what they feel like preparing for you. DO NOT make a selection, and assume the cook's feel like cooking it. Again, what we had was excellent, the dinner, the breakfast, and the wedding food.

Stay elsewhere and have lunch or dinner here.

Bar and restaurant service stinks, expect to ask for everything, at least twice, from an ashtray, to a toothpick. I was amazed that the bartenders had no clue when an ashtray was full and needed to be emptied. Again, two bartenders for maybe 10 people, but it felt like you were putting them out when you asked for anything. Expect eye rolling, and disdain from the entire restaurant staff. I remember the bartenders slapping down these cheesy, dirty placemats.

The two of us spent $275.00 at the bar/restaurant for dinner/drinks. Of course, when it came time for bed, (around 9:30, the kitchen closes at 10) we ordered some desserts to take to our room, but the only thing available was Chocolate Cake. And I know why, everything else took time to prepare, and the lazy staff didn't want to make anything else. It is much easier to tell the guests they were out of everything, BUT the easily sliced cake.

Back to the room conditions, like other posters, we also checked in and were just pointed to the room. Had one of the 3 front desk people showed us to the room, MAYBE the broken TV would have been noticed before we had to change rooms at midnight. And the night manager was miserable, when I demanded the room change at midnight she gave me a look like she wanted to call me names, and so full of disdain that it almost scared me. If she were a man, we would have "had words".

She was VERY rude, and borderline abusive. There was only one other couple staying here, but we got THE WORST ROOM, number 101. It was right next to the "lobby". The room where all the broken things go, and working things get scabbed from.

Maybe because we are gay they chose to give us the worst possible room? There were, after all, another 15 rooms available.
    Maybe they just like to see how abyssmal the service can get before someone says something?
    The room was very dated, crowded, and not very romantic.
    The floor was dirty with sand.
    The mirror was filthy, and there were cobwebs everywhere.
    Something like food staining the TV screen.
    The bathrooms are RV sized, with no real counter space, so be prepared. .
    The "safe" didn't work.
    The clock couldn't be set to the proper time.
    Neither of our two keys worked, and so the room couldn't be locked.
    All of this we didn't care much about, as there were really no other guests, and we weren't ever far from seeing our front door.
    Again, this was 400.00 per night? This "funky place" was worth $85.00.

Hidden fee number 1: $35.00/night "Housekeeping Gratuity".

The straw that broke the camel's back?

I refuse to pay $400/night and NOT have a working TV, even if it is only to watch for 15 minutes while falling asleep.

So, at midnight we had to pack up our stuff and moved next door, room 102. Did they check the room first? Did they help with bags? Did they apologize? Did the GM apologize the next day? No, no, no. The GM made excuses and gave us some BS about how the Bahamians were innately lazy, and it was some government thing. He explained because of the added gratuity, there was no motivation for the staff. He explained this all hushed up and looking over his shoulder, so the staff wouldn't hear. As if he were actually afraid of them. VERY weird. And frankly, I didn't care what his excuses were. His staff issues are his problem, and not my concern. It seemed rehearsed, and like he had said this to many, many guests before, but again, for 400.00/night, not my problem.

And you would think they would have realized that there were going to be 30 people joining us the next day. Naturally everyone asked what we thought, and saw the room. One would think, a good opportunity to show off, and sell future rooms? Apparently lost on the staff and management.

Regarding the property. It is laughably painted in loud garish colors, not so much Bahamian as McDonald's play land. This place is NOT child friendly, handicapped friendly, or even adult friendly. There are many, many places to twist an ankle, get cut in the kid's pool by sharp broken tiles, fall off the pier onto the rocks below, this is a very dangerous place, especially at night. USE UTMOST CARE walking anywhere. And NEVER bring kids or the elderly here.

The swimming pool is right next to the restaurant and is cold. It also has many tiles missing, and has not been properly maintained. Again watch those sharp tile edges. And expect to be the center of attention during the lunch/happy hour crowd.

Hidden fee number 2: $25.00/day "Resort Fee".

After our stay here, we booked into the Atlantis, for 4 more days. It was far cheaper, safer, and the staff far nicer.

This place was probably cool, and a funky nice place back in the 80's. Now, it is a cartoon. I am embarrassed for them and to admit I stayed here, and shame on you if you choose to do the same. I would recommend a youth hostel, and a $300.00 donation to a favorite charity. Paying for this dump only encourages them.

Unique Quality: Not really any. the view is good. The food is good.

Directions: Way out on the west side...30 minutes to anything but the airport

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Fantastic Beach Huts

Compass Point, located on two secluded acres just 25 minutes from downtown Nassau is a very colourful, relaxed, friendly hotel, small and intimate in size, yet big in style!

The striking, bold exteriors hide more muted and subtle interiors, with simple yet charming accommodation all boasting hand-crafted wooden furnishings that blend with the tropical setting.

The hotel now has direct access to Love Beach and is located near the island’s renowned Lyford Cay and Old Fort Bay sections in a quiet, secluded neighbourhood just a short drive from the island’s golf courses, tennis courts, casinos and nightlife. Watersports available close to Compass Point include scuba diving, water-skiing, snorkelling and jet skis.

Unique Quality: 19 Units, 13 Huts & Cottages, 5 Cabanas and one 3 Bedroom Apartment. All with king or queen-size bed, satellite TV, CD player, coffee maker, fridge, private deck, shower only. Cottages have kitchenette.

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Compass Point

If you are looking for a secluded romatic beach haven I can not recommend The Compass Point highly enough.
    There are several self contained beach huts with hot and cold running water, pleasantly but simply furnished. Fall asleep to the sound of surf and the rustle of palm trees in your ears.
    Average Price: Summer Rate: $195 - $250

There are 13 huts and cottages on stilts and 5 cabana studios, all painted in vibrant Bahamian Junkanoo colors. The huts and cottages are not air-conditioned but are designed with louvered windows to be cooled by tropical breezes. All have private decks facing the ocean. All of the buildings are decorated with whimsical Junkanoo motifs such as owls, roosters, sunbursts and fish. In contrast to the brightly colored exteriors, the handcrafted interiors of each unit accent natural woods with batik fabrics.

Unique Quality: Absoloutly stunning, informal and intimate boutique style resort hotel. Fully functional private beach huts.

Compass Point is located on 2 oceanfront acres 4 miles west of Cable Beach. The resort is convenient to the excitement of downtown Nassau and Paradise Island, both known for casinos, nightclubs and duty-free shopping.

Hailed as "a work of art" by Travel Weekly, Compass Point is a collection of octagonal huts and cottages brightly painted in kid's crayon-box colors: yellow, lavender, teal, blue, tangerine and pink and is adjacent to famous Love Beach. Compass Point's creative desinger Barbara Hulanicki mirrored the Bahamas annual Junkanoo parade using bright and cheerful colors on the buildings exteriors. Additional local color includes artistic use of conch shells as decoration. In contrast to the exteriors, the handcrafted interiors of each unit feature natural woods with colorful batik fabrics. Units carry such whimsical names as Lookout and Rock Lobster. The hotel is known as a casual vacation spot for celebrities and hip travelers from around the world.

10 minutes from airport.

Directions: Compass Point Beach West Bay Street, P.O. Box CB-13842 Nassau, Bahamas Manager(s): Mr. Peter Phillips No. of Rooms: 20

More about Compass Point Beach Resort

Compass Point.

by steph4867 about Compass Point.

Located on two private acres of Love Beach. Beach club, access to private island. 20 rooms have handcrafted, wooden interiors and furnishings that blend with a tropical setting, ceiling fans (no air conditioning), TV, direct dial phone, CD/cassette player, AM/FM radio.

Compass Point - perfect for relaxation

by TripAdvisor Member patrish

My husband and I stayed at Compass Point for five nights this past valentine's day. It is a lovely, boutique property -- perfect for a short, relaxing getaway. This was our first visit to the Bahamas so we really didn't know what to expect. Compass Point is located at least a half hour drive from the "nightlife" so be prepared to spend $$ on cabs or learn how to use the bus system if you plan on going to Nassau or Paradise Island often. The on-site restaurant was good although my husband quickly got bored eating at the same place for both lunch and dinner. The little beach on the property was often deserted and mostly the guests stayed around the pool. We had an elevated ocean view hut. The furnishings were very comfortable and you can't beat the view! Throw the balcony doors open at night and listen to the waves as you fall asleep... heaven. Although the resort is very close to the airport (10min drive) and you can watch the planes as they come in for landing, we were not bothered by any airplane noise. Be sure to grab a book (or a glass of wine!) at sit at the end of the dock at sunset and just enjoy being there. If you are looking for an active vacation this is not the place for you. If you are looking for relaxation in a beautiful natural setting, try Compass Point.

by gabriellefox about Compass Point Beach Resort

Summer Rate: $195 - $250 Absoloutly stunning, informal and intimate boutique style resort hotel. Fully functional private beach huts.

GORGEOUS!!!

by TripAdvisor Member kabeauchemin

I just got back from a 5 night stay at Compass Point. I can't say enough about Compass Point--I absolutely loved everything about it. It's unique and beautilful, staff is ultra-friendly, and the food it excellent. I have nothing at all bad to say, and I highly recommend to anyone considering going. If you are looking to relax, Compass Point is the perfect place. It is secluded, and nothing else is within walking distance. However, the buses (jitneys) run until about 5 or 6pm and only cost $1, so we would take a jitney into Nassau and then take a cab back later in the night, which costs about $20. I didn't think that was unreasonable. Compass Point is 100% better than staying in a hotel--you simply open the door to your hut and you are looking out on the crystal clear water, as opposed to looking into a hallway. I encourage everyone to visit!!!

TERRIBLE dining experience

by TripAdvisor Member Banjoman2007

My friends and I made a special $100 (roundtrip) taxi ride from the Nassau Harbor Club to Compass Point where we expected a wonderful dinner.
I visited there maybe ten years ago when it was a part of Island Outpost -- but I am not sure if it is still one of their properties now.
Management has definitely changed recently -- and the evening we were there, the staff was untrained, the service horrrible, and the food barely passable.
No rum in the rum drinks either -- and the manager charged us for a second round.
No music as promised -- just dumb karaoke!
What a disappointment on our last night in the Bahamas following a wonderful sailing voyage.
What's happening at Compass Point?

A Gem

by TripAdvisor Member tlaxt337

What a find on Nassau Bahamas! As a Manager in the hospitality industry, I can vouch for excellence from checkin to check-out. The check-in experience was wonderful. The staff was very friendly and helpful throughout the stay. I travel frequently and found Compass Point resort to be "right on the mark" with amenities, room furnishings and cleanliness. The Raised Seaview Hut was very private. Comfortable beds made each night a perfect night's sleep.

The local transportation, "jitneys" are just a dollar and the Number 10s will get you into town or anywhere along the way and return you safely. What a deal! Say "thank you often,"and smile ! Compass Point is a great escape from the "cookie cutter" hotel resort experience.

Amazing Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member simba46

We were looking for a quiet romantic getaway for two, and Compass Point turned out to be the perfect spot. Amazing location, excellent access to Love Beach (which is a great walking beach, alot of people don't mention this in their reviews, but it was one of our favourite things about this vacation). The service was very attentive, and the food was surprisingly good as well (especially after some of the other reviews I've read). As for the planes, yes, there are quite a few (but not constant) and it didn't bother us at all. In fact we quite liked watching them fly overhead. We stayed in a sea front hut and fell asleep every night to the sound of the waves crashing on the sea wall. The room was spacious, exceptionally clean, and I particularly loved the Aveda toiletries that were refreshed everyday. The resort is out of the way if you want to get out and see a lot of the island, but we found since the location was so beautiful we weren't really motivated to leave. We went out once to Villagio's down the street for dinner (upscale Italian). Highly reccomended and it was only five minutes down the road.

All in all, we loved Compass Point and would definitely go back!

Compass Point Surf and TurfCompass Point Surf and Turf

Compass Point Resort CabinsCompass Point Resort Cabins

Compass Point Restaurant SunsetCompass Point Restaurant Sunset

Compass Point half rack ribs and chickenCompass Point half rack ribs and chicken

Compass Point

by TerriBerry

Does anyone know why Compass Point is closed or when it is scheduled to reopen?

RE: Compass Point

by crazygal59

From what I have heard, Compass Point will not be reopening. Apparently the owner has a restaurant or something on another island and wants to devote more time to that.

Comments