Cockburn Town, Caribbean

Costs 1466% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Club Med Columbus Isle

Wonderful Service All-Around

by TripAdvisor Member jhatch

My wife and I spent a week at the Club Med Columbus Isle and it was basically heaven, not one false note to the trip except for the mosquitos. We were greeted at our arrival by the Club Med staff and from that moment until our return to Montreal, they took care of everything. The activities were complete, we could kayak, snorkel, play tennis, etc at our own pace, with none of the usual come and join us routine. We booked diving packages and the organisation was among the best I have seen in years of diving, truly great. Sadly the water was a bit cold for my 3mm, but the sight of hammerhead sharks, barracudas and so on made up greatly for the oversight of mine (5 mm would have been better).

The food was exquisite with lobster, fish, sushi, Italian meals, foie gras et al. Excellent food and very fresh, no heart burn, nor the other notable annoying island related illness. The bar actually provide canned beer, a change from the usual low grade draft beer. Excellent. Truly enjoyed our stay and will probably return next year. By the way, we also met wonderful people from France, Canada and the US. Congratulations Club Med and thanks to Voyages Dumoulin for having advised us well and taken care of the trip.

Serene, sexy, fun & luxurious!

Club Med is always a great deal, but Columbus Isle is unique! The turqoise ocean, beautiful surroundings and the architecture of the resort are undeniably fabulous. The GO's are mostly young and energetic. They make sure your stay is memorable and make sure you have all you need. The accomodations were beautiful. Our cottage was facing the dunes, the closest to the beach. We did have some AC problems but were quickly sent to another room for the evening, the AC was repaired the next day. Caroline Dewinter, a GO was instrumental in making our stay exceptional. She was courteous, professional and a pleasure to be around.
The meals were very good. The restaurant we had to make reservations at were mediocre, although, the service was excellent. A great getaway for couples who want to spend qualtiy time together. Note: For some reason, some people do bring kids-only two couples did, not a place for kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paradise found!

by TripAdvisor Member fluffyb2

I just returned from Club Med Columbus Isle and it was incredible! We had a C type room which they say has a 25% to 50% ocean view, but our room had a full ocean view. A few palm trees between us and the ocean, but it was beautiful. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Had a small walk in closet w/ 2 personal safes. The bathroom was quite large with seperate w/c. Balcony was very comfortably furnished and the a/c worked very well. They provide a large bottle of water upon arrival with waterfountains nearby to refill. If you stay in a B or A type room they automatically refill the water.

The food was outstanding. Tried all 3 restaurants. Berimbau is a Brazilian Churrascaria (sp?), Watlings which had wonderful seafood and Christopher's, the large buffet style restaurant. The food there was also great. I love fresh seafood so I was in heaven. Lots of variety at the buffet too, and you've got to love a wine captain filled with bottles that you select and take to your table. The drinks were always good, not watered down. There is a new beachside bar which was always fun. They have a grill there where you can get salads, pizza, wraps, etc... Also, there always seemed to be fresh fruit and munchies around.

The GO's were great. Everyone was so nice and went out of their way to say hello and help in anyway needed. The instruction on all the sports was fantastic and professional. I don't dive, but did go on one of the snorkel excursions. All of their equipment is top notch. They bring in new equipment every 6 months.

The beach is the most beautiful I've ever seen. And so peaceful. There were mosquitos at night, but Club Med sprays twice a day and they provide OFF in your room. I usually get eaten alive, but this time returned home with only a couple of bites. Probably areas I did not spray.

Flights from the West Coast are long, but very worth it.

I will definitely be going back to Columbus Isle. I also recommend finding a good travel agent that is familiar with Club Med. They can get you the best prices.

Wonderful wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member Minoumouse

We just returned from Columbus Isle Club Med (May 22-29) and have only nice things to say. The beach is spectacular, sand like powder, the colour of the water unparalleled anywhere (we've been all over the Caribbean and Mexico, including other Club Meds), the staff wonderful and plentiful but not-in-your-face, the locals friendly, the food wonderful, the accomodations great (one negative, we had called to see if there was any internet access beyond that provided in their computer room--2 PCs, .20$ /minute, and were told that there was not. It turns out there has been wireless access ($15/day, $35/week) for months for those of you who want to stay in touch with home/work). Another slight negative, but not anything to do with Club Med, when we came back, my wife discovered that she had caught some sea lice, rashes on underside of both breasts, but not a big deal, cortisone cream and it's clearing up. Finally, we went with our 2 year old, and while no facilities for children and only two other children there, had a great time with her.

That's it. Go.

One word...Wonderful!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member AndreMontrealCanada

My wife and I just came back from a wonderful vacation at Club Med in Columbus Isle Bahamas, Aug 14-21st, 2005. We flew from Montreal a direct flight of 3:30hrs. When we arrived at the airport the GO ( Gentil organisateur) Club med staffs were waiting for us with a drink and right at the airport they gave us our room key and they mentioned that the luggage will follow in few minutes. We jumped in the bus that was waiting for us and 2 minutes later we arrived at Club Med.

The site is very nice and colorful, we had a little welcome ceremony and right after that we were on our way to our room, this is probably the first time that we didn't to wait to get our room or the keys. Our room was very close to the beach and well equipped, flat screen TV, hair dryer, frige, walk in closet, 2 safes and a nice view. We had 2 beach towels on our bed and 2 bottles 1.5 liters every day. The room was clean and smelt good. The beach is long, beautiful and not crowdy at all, in many occasion my wife and I felt that we were the only one but the club was all book up. We went few years ago at the Club Med Turks and Caicos but Columbus isle is definitely much nicer. The food was amazing, we had 2 gala dinner during the week French, mediteraeen, italian, tex-mex and more, we tried the reversation restaurants but the buffet restaurant offered everything you want, the desserts were fantastic and deligthful. Keep in mine that for lunches and dinners you have a choices of red wine, white wine and rosé bottles, soft drinks and beers

Sports: Wow the GO are so friendly and they know how to show you how, I learned Tennis during the week and some day my wife and I were alone with our tennis instructor who uses to be a Pro few years back. The last time I touched a racquet was 30 years ago. I learned a lot and we are going to pursue our experience. Windsurfing, sailboarding, scuba diving, snorkeling, nautical ski...everything is free and it's like an all who can play...no limit and the equipments were top notch. Days are too short at Club Med

Shows: we had one night the Opera de Paris dancer another night a french stand up comic...but most of the night we walked on the beach to watch the stars and the moon and by 10:00 PM we were back in our room dreaming of another beautiful day at Club med.

Yes defintely we will go back, it is a little more expensive than Cuba, Domican republic, Mexico but this is way better, the only time I pulled out my wallet was to send an email back home that's it ... no tips, no hassle a real vacation in a wonderful island!!!!

You will enjoy it.....

Great village vibe

I spent the week of March 12th at Columbus Isle, and had a great time. This was my 6th Club Med and I'm planning my 7th. I ended up going as a single, since I broke up with my girlfriend before I left.......and I'm glad I went.

The food was good. The restaurant at the Sea Center is nice......but there's only a choice of three entrees. Still, it's nice to sit and get served (the main restaurant is typical Club Med buffet style). I thought the food at the main restaurant was very good. Good variety and fresh.

The G.O.'s were friendly, and I wound up hanging out with most of them during my stay. The scuba diving here was great! April is the best instructor! Beautiful coral walls, sharks, rays, turtles, etc. FYI, if you're a diver....request a room near the Sea Center so you can be close by. Scuba is extra $$, but worth it.

The shows are silly. It's for the French, and I guess they think it's funny (well, they do like Jerry Lewis!). It's like an amatuer night........but that's nothing new for Club Med veterans.

It's very clear that the French do not like Americans....but that's fine.....they weren't too bad. The week I stayed, it was about 70% French.

This village is very laid back.........and quiet (which I loved). Of course, you get pool games going on in the afternoon sometimes, and they play loud music with an MC. It doesn't last long. They were building a beach bar that looked almost done, so the noise of the workers should be over by now.

I would highly recommend this village for couples or scuba divers......it's perfect.

~HK

Perfect in every way!

by TripAdvisor Member Singlediver

I was at Club Med Columbus Isle on the Island of San Salvador From October 8 through the 15th, 2005. A snow ski group I met at Crested Butte has a contingency of scuba divers and there were some last minute cancellations so I just couldn’t turn down the opportunity and joined them as a single. It was a perfect last minute get away!

Getting there: Being from California (and hating red-eyes) I flew into Ft. Lauderdale the evening before Club Med's SPIRIT charter on Saturday. Club Med GM’s were at the airport to assist with check-in, which was flawless. The plane was only about 1/3 full and we were offered champagne and/or orange juice. In no time we landed, received our room assignments/keys, were transported to the club and our luggage was found outside our room shortly thereafter.

The Club: The accommodations were spacious with all the amenities of a fine hotel. The beds were very comfy, the water pressure and air conditioning were just fine (floors can be slippery). The club's common areas were inviting and the artwork worth pondering. The dining was excellent! It was overyly plentiful with something for every palette and I don’t think they ever “ran out” of anything no matter how popular it was. Yes, everyone raves about the white chocolate bread and you must try it with the blue cheese, you’ll be addicted. The sports were never ending. Don’t forget to try archery that is found behind the sea center. Diving was nice, the corals great but my desire to see a hammer head shark did not come to fruition. We had one rainy day and the GO’s set up a Vegas style Casino and will teach GM’s the various games. The evening music before and after dinner was nice, with plenty of dancers and the shows were entertaining. As the disco was at the opposite end of the club it was nice to be transported on the busses to the Disco after the show. Yes, the Iguana is real, roams the club and is amazingly friendly.

Praise: I must say that the whole team of GO's was great and it is clear that they s truly enjoy being a part of the village and being secluded on an island with limited diversions this is key. A few of the GO’s stood out and made my holiday great. Carline Dewinter at reception was very helpful. Scuba Bill and Scuba John were great along with Jenny in the dive office. Paco, Paco, Paco, he seemed to be everywhere with a friendly greeting. Jamie in the bar always had a great green club-tini or diet coke waiting. Lastly, the chief Karim. His energy and interaction with both the GO’s and GM’s obviously makes the club! He is a great tennis player and even though his village has its own “crazy signs” he indulged me in the traditional “crazy signs” on more than one occasion.

Pointers: I found that the GO’s were a bit more laid back than other clubs (which was fine with me!) For example GO’s don’t schlep or set up your scuba gear and if you want instruction or help with the activities you need to be assertive and ask a GO. When you do I find they were always willing to assist you. Wanting several massages during my stay I contacted the club to pre-book and was told the club did not pre-book appointments. To my dismay, upon arrival I was told that there were no appointments available. The reasoning was that some groups had been allowed to pre-book and there was only one masseuse due to staffing problems. Hopefully, that has been resolved. Take plenty of good bug spray with Deet as the mosquitoes are out in the am and pm. Don’t leave food or sticky drinks in your room or you will get ants. The largest contingency at the club is French so if you don’t know French be prepared for a bit of a language barrier. Remember a smile is universal, brush up on the basics before you go, pretend you are in France and enjoy the experience.

I would highly recommend Columbus Isle and believe it is probably one of the best-kept.

Cub Med Junkie

by TripAdvisor Member njr

My husband and I just returned from a one week stay at Columbus Island. We had been to Club Med at Turks and Caicos, so we had an idea of the how Club Med "works." We had a wonderful time.

The accommodations were perfect- we had a garden view room that faced the ocean, so we still had an ocean view. The food was very good. The main restaurant buffet had so many options, that even the pickiest of eaters will be fine. We like the variety- two specialty restaurants for dinner in addition to the main restaurant as well as the two other options- Bar Azul and the specialty restaurant for lunch. One thing that differed from the last time we were at Turks and Caicos was that this was a total all-inclusive, meaning drinks and snacks are included. It was nice to go the beach bar to get a drink and find homemade cookies or fruit. The common areas of the resort were nicely decorated and in good condition. The beach and ocean were fabulous! The beach is a nice size, so we weren't crammed in like sardines. A lot of the people we spoke to that had been to several of Club Med resorts felt that this one is the nicest.

Since some of the reviews mentioned several common negatives, I will provide our review of them. The GOs were average to great. I believe that almost all of them are from Canada or France, with a few exceptions. The scuba and snorkeling team were very knowledgeable and enthusiastic and provided all instructions in French and English. The tennis instructors were also great and very good natured. They provided 1 hour lessons for the groups in English and French. This is no small feat, particularly if English is not your first language. We did not encounter any Club Med GO or employee that refused to speak English or begrudgingly spoke English.

As for the other guests or GMs, the majority are from France. I'm not sure what percentage, but my guess would be around 75%. The remaining 25% is a mixture of Canadians (many from Toronto or Montreal who speak French), other Europeans (Italy, Germany, England and Belgium) and Americans. I would guess Americans make up about 10%. My husband and I found this to be a definite positive. We felt like we were off the coast of France, not an hour away from Miami. It definitely added value to the overall trip. Two of my snorkeling buddies were from Italy. It was nice to learn about where they were from and where they had recently traveled. I also expanded my French from two basic sentences (where's the bathroom and can I have a glass of water) to being able to have an exchange pleasantries and answer basic questions. Many people, once they realized that I did not speak French, spoke English. I had two occasions when this was not the case, but it was because they did not speak any English (gasp!). Again, we did not find the language or cultural differences to be a problem.

All in all, we had a wonderful relaxing vacation. On our way back, we decided that we would go to Columbus Island and/or a Club Med resort again. Everything is so easy. It's nice not to carry a wallet around. It's nice to be able to roll out of bed and have a great breakfast. It's nice to just show up and play tennis or go snorkeling without having to arrange anything. Our next trip will probably be to Martinique once Club Med finishes the renovations to its resort there

Fun in the Sun and Also relaxing and romantic

by TripAdvisor Member ChicagoTravel

We just returned from a week on one of the nicest beaches I have seen in my travels (May28-June05). Club Med has it all. This resort is rated most serene. Some GO's try to get people to participate but there is so much to do and so little, whichever way you want it.

The charter from Ft. Lauderdale offered nice champagne and o.j with some small tasty appetizers and a welcome gift of organic lotion and lip balm. This was special for the charter and had me very pleased. These small niceties no longer exist in the travel industry let alone on a one hour flight.
The resort is walk able from the airport. Our bags were delivered to our room which had all we needed and much more. Most rooms have views so no need to upgrade unless you absolutely must have a full ocean view. We spent very little time in our room.

The only setback was lack of organization at the reception desk) a message was never given to us and staff is very slow and rather incompetent with their billing system), and the fitness instructor does not know English. I and another lady decided not to take the classes as she did not understand us and only answered back in French.

TIP: If you have any questions about local things to do or arrangements, ask the Bahamians that work at the resort. They WILL have answers and help you. DO NOT ask the reception people. They gave me three different answers and they were all wrong.

But GO and do your own fitness and prepare yourself to wait at the reception for whatever you need.

The food is great some GO's are nicer than others, but I go for the ocean, the ability to do as little or as much as I wish. I will go back again!

Simply perfect place

Perfect food at the buffet and the seaside restaurant.

Perfect beaches (white sand,...).

Very good service.

May be good to avoid the period of April as we had 3 days of very strong wind and big waves.

We will come back.

JumpingNANCY, VTer conejita71, San SalvadorJumpingNANCY, VTer conejita71, San Salvador

hot spots in San Salvador

by odoggmtz

Im doing a research project for my english class and I have to look at San Salvador. I have maps and other info, but I want to know what are some good places to go and what are some places to stay away from. Any feedback?

San Salvador to San Pedro Sula with a stop in Copan Ruinas

by shesgone

I'm looking to bus it from S.S. to S.P.S. and read in a forum from March of a route that would go through Guatemala. It was also stated that Guatemala is a very violent country. I haven't been there in about five or six years and don't remember it being such at that time.

A: Is there a more direct route that goes from San Salvador to Copan Ruinas to San Pedro Sula?

B: Is Guatemala actually a violent place as was stated? I'll be a solo-traveling female so I'd like to feel safe of course or I'll avoid an area all together.

by Hunita

I travelled alone as a single female to Guatemala in 2002. I had no problems. Arrived in Guatemala City at 7 pm with no accommodation booked. Got a bus from the airport to Antigua and was fine. Then travelled up to Chico, then down to the Caribbean coast and into Honduras. Came back and went to Copan en route. Loved it!

Just have to be careful about making choices about safe travelling and not take too many risks.

Sorry don't have any info re your route and SS.

by Luke6647

Dear Shesgone,

I travel to Guatemala at least twice a year and it is my favorite Central American country. Can Guatemala be violent? Yes, like any other place, it can be, but in 18 visits there, I've never been robbed or anything. I am not a solo female traveler, but as you will do, just exercise travel cautions: if you travel by (chicken)bus, do so only in the daytime; always keep your suitcase or pack with you - not on top or in the back of the bus.

Actually, I'd be more afraid of San Pedro Sula than I would of Guatemala! I have been there a few times and do not like it. One idea is that if you go to S.P.S., you can catch a very reasonable taxi or even a shuttle from the airport (or town) to Copan Ruinas. A good place to stay in this nice little town is Casa de Cafe - a bed & breakfast. Be sure to eat at Mimi's (or MoMo's - something like that. It's a restaurant in someone's front yard - with delicious steaks smothered in green peppers and onions.)

If you have further questions, feel free to ask. I'm preparing to return to Central America for the 41st time!

by june71

I may be too late to answer,I don't know when your ad was posted.But I will give you an answer just in case.
I spent 2 months in Guatemala,and I found it to be a lovely place.You do not want to spend time in Guate.city, but in the outlying areas ,you should be fine.It helps if you speak spanish ,off course,but you will manage,as long as you travel daytime,and do not go to places that are shady at night.

Car rentals in San Salvador

by AndySpb

Is there any car rental agencies in San Salvador city, not in airport? (with online booking system, but not so expensive like Avis)

Thanks in advance