Lady Young Rd, Port of Spain, Trinidad, Caribbean

Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre
Orbitz.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Brief Visit to Hilton Trinidad

I was at this property for about 8-9 hours -- hectic travel week. Decent hotel, but it was old in 2000 and definitely in need of a refresh. Beautiful views of Port of Spain. Typical Hilton business-focused property.

Unique Quality: I don't remember any unique qualities about this property.

More about Hilton Trinidad

Hilton Trinidad& Conference...

by Chantilly18

Hilton Trinidad& Conference Center They have a big pool where you can relax, swim and drink a Carib or have a nice lunch.
The rooms are also very nice and it's really worth a visit! I've been here a couple of times and I must say it has been the same for the last 15 years. Over the years they haven't changed a bit. Everytime I visit it just brings back memories.

Trinidad's highest hotel

by s_berg about Hilton Trinidad

Whoo, was I lucky I didn't have to pay for this one! The Hilton Trinidad is a beautiful hotel in a great location, but if you are not careful you might never leave the hotel to get true Trinidad experiences. The food was incredible, the service too, and some of the best pictures I took there were from their outdoor hallway, connecting the main hotel from the rooms. It is really easy, though, to enjoy the hotel without seeing the city, and unless you are up to a 15 minute walk downtown, it can be difficult to get away from that cushioned atmosphere.

It is the best place in Trinidad to hold a convention. The private party catering is wonderful, as are the conference rooms. It will be under two years of construction starting soon because the building has lasted without much repair since the 60's and its architectual design shows that. The pool is a relaxing place to hang out and there is a bar with staff waiting to take your drink or food orders.

Overall, the Hilton is a great place to spend a vacation but if you are looking for a deeper look into Trinidad culture, keep looking.

Hotels f generally good...

by GSXR

Hotels f generally good standard. The best is the Trinidad Hilton but a little on the expensive side for what you get ( $150 / night ). Best things is try local guest houses - They are cheap, very friendly and will usually cook good local food for you

Old, overpriced, needs renovation, but good service

by TripAdvisor Member brian_washdc

The Hilton Trinidad & Conference Center must be one of the world's most overpriced hotels, given how long it's been since any of the rooms were renovated. Clearly, because Trinidad has so few international hotels, they stay filled to capacity and so there's no motivation to renovate them.

PLUSES
The Hilton is in a nicer location with nicer grounds than the last hotel I stayed at in Trinidad, the Crowne Plaza. The service was also nicer.

MINUSES
I paid US$210/night to stay here which is absolute highway robbery. And it doesn't stop there...breakfast in the restaurant: US$20! A club sandwich and a coke: US$17! And of course, everything has service charges and extra taxes tacked on to it.

The internet service in the rooms costs about US$15-17 also, which is fairly outrageous.

On multiple occasions we had to wait extra time for taxis out in front of the hotel. The bellman was reluctant to call a taxi because it seemed he thought someone from the hotel's taxi service would be back "any minute now." Well, it made me late for a meeting in Port of Spain. Then, when the taxis do show up - they're dilapidated American cars from the 70s - Cutlass Supremes and Cadillac Eldorados, that have seen better days. Many of them do not have A/C, and are downright unsafe. A hotel that's charging $210/night and houses executives, should have hotel vehicles that are at least up to minimal safety standards so that those executives do not get robbed on their way to a meeting. One of the taxi drivers had the gaul to tell my colleague that he didn't want to take him to Port of Spain because it would take him forever to get back.

Overall, the Hilton is not great and is overpriced, but you don't have many options if you're going to Port-of-Spain. Now that I've tried Crowne Plaza (awful), Hilton (decent, but $$$$), I may try the Marriott Courtyard next time, which was sold out for this trip.

Executive Suite rip-off of room rate

For $375.00 U.S. per night during carnival. For that price in Washington, D.C. or New York, I get superior service. At the Trinidad Hilton for 8-days at Carnival, my husband and I had to beg for a roll of toilet paper which never arrived by the facilities staff and I had to go to the front desk and beg for a roll of paper. No clean towels, I had to beg for this as well, and I had to beg and plead for cleaning service to pick up dirty drinking glassware from my room after the maid had cleaned --- I was told this was not the maid's job. Buffet food and flies on the uncovered fruit, luke-warn coffee, everything turned me off. Hilton, your general manager should be fired for incompetence. Hilton has wonderful staff who cannot do anything about the deplorable rooms.

Paris would be appalled!!

For $380US a night, not to mention all the hidden fees, which brings it to almost $500 a night during Carnvial, you would think the service would be impeccable. This could not be further from the truth. Upon arrival, even though we paid for our trip month's in advance, the front desk somehow had no record of our payment. The customer is never right at the Trinidad Hilton. Ask anyone to help you with any mediocre task and they will tell you "they are working on it" but you will never hear from them again. And be prepared to pay exorbitant prices for everything from a hamburger to a bottle of water. With the upcoming Marriott hotel under construction, Hilton would be best to reconsider its strategy for keeping business.

It was definitely not the best business hote;

by TripAdvisor Member natster99

Stayed there for 3 nights iN February. Overall the experience was not a memorable one. I always stay at Hiltons in most cities, but was definitely surprised at the lack of service and quality. The rooms were okay. The food was nothing to write home about. The service the less said the better. The staff was rude, very very slow and inefficient. Would not stay there again except for its proximity to my business location.

Dated but charming in a quaint sort of way.

by TripAdvisor Member JohnMBStewart

We stayed here for two weeks in late October/early November 2005.

On arrival, first impressions are good, as you walk along a lovely old wooden floored corridor to reception. Greeting by staff was warm and friendly, and we were quickly on our way up to our room.

Being an upside down hotel, the lifts/stairs are slightly confusing to start. Reception is on level 3, and our room on level 6 is three floors further down.

Our room was "tired" and needed a good overhaul. The beds and furniture were clean and comfortable enough, but the whole room could do with redecoration and modernisation. Our TV had about 40 - 50 useable channels. A few were fuzzy due to poor reception, but at least there were a few film channels with reasonable films and no extra cost. We read an article on our way home that the whole hotel is being completely refurbished, so this should address these issues. Talking to other guests, some rooms are much better than others, having been more recently renovated. Speak nicely to reception if you aren't happy with your room, and they'll try to accomodate you. Please note though that a few nigths during our stay were fully booked, so a room swap may not be possible on your first night.

Each room has a balcony - get one overlooking the Savannah if you want the sun from around midday onwards. Some have better views than others, due to the high palm trees in the grounds. Good views over the Savannah and Port of Spain from most areas of the hotel.

If you get a suite, or a room on the executive floors (where the rooms are better), then you get access to the executive lounge where you get free breakfast, and also a free bar in the evenings. The staff in the lounge are superb - William Wallace was our host for a few evenings and he was superb, remembering all our drinks orders from a few nights before, and coming with top-ups at just the right time.

Overall, we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Not one of them hung around waiting for a tip, although be aware that a 10% service charge applies to mostly everything in the hotel, including food and drinks.

Although the prices were high in the "La Boucan" restaurant, we couldn't really fault the food or the service. Ate there about 5 or 6 times, trying different things. Some were OK/above average, but some meals were superb. Watch out for the 10% service charge and 15% VAT on top of the listed prices though! Not a great problem if you are on business expenses.

We tried room service a few times. The tenderloin/fillet steak was excellent, though slightly overcooked once. Each order took about 30 - 40 minutes to arrive and came complete with a small vase of fresh local flowers.

The pool is fine to use (unheated), but very deep (16ft) at one end, so be careful with small children. It was never busy or crowded during the two weeks we were there.

There is always a plentiful supply of taxis outside, using mostly 70s US cars, though there are some more recent ones. Seems to be a fixed rate of $42TT/$7US for most areas in and around Port of Spain.

There is also a small chemist shop in the arcade next to reception, which sells sweets, postcards, toiletries etc, plus a real estate agent and a hairdresser/beauty salon.

There are two local restaurant worthy of mention, just a 3 minute taxi ride away. Both share the same building. Tamnak Thai serves superb Thai cuisine. Slightly expensive, but excellent service and fantastic food. Wine choice was limited on the evening we were there. Downstairs is Apsara, and Indian resaurant. Good food - watch out for the very hot/spicy condiment with the poppadums. Solid copper plates and cups etc were a nice touch. Garlic naan bread is highly recommended to accompany your meal.

Overall, although tired and sorely needing renovation (should be completed by 2007), the Hilton has plenty of charm and style in a quaint way that is missing from many "clinical" modern hotels. As long as you are aware it's an old hotel with some slightly tired areas, then you probably won't be disappointed. If you are expecting a smart modern hotel, with up to the minute rooms, appliances etc, then you would be best to look elsewhere.

The location is fairly good and central, being just a 5 minute taxi ride form the downtown area. There aren't many people walking around, and security at the hotel is very good. The botanical gardens, zoo and presidents house are just a 5 - 10 minute walk away, though I wouldn't walk anywhere outside the hotel after dark - take a taxi, but during the day it's fine.

We would stay there again if going back, it was much better than the Crown Plaza where the rooms were more modern/stylish, but the noise levels due to the traffic outside were much higher and with rude staff and inedible food.

Excellent staff, good food, dismal rooms

by TripAdvisor Member simonbg

In summary: excellent staff and good food, but run-down rooms in serious need of re-furbishment.

I was travelling on business; had I been here on pleasure, I would have been seriously disappointed - the rooms simply are not worth the money.

The highlight of my stay was sitting on the terrace at the top, getting my work done (wireless Internet connection) looking out at the sun set over the city and the sea beyond. Unfortunately the Internet connection didn't make it as far as my room, which was no big deal as I tried to spend as little time there as possible. The carpet was the type you wouldn't want to walk on in your bare feet, and the air conditioning was barely able to keep up with the heat outside (the control on it was clearly someone's fantasy and had no effect on what came out of it).

I enjoyed the food I had in the main restaurant (a bit pricey, though the lobster was good value!) and also room service - the table they brought to my room folded out and was at least as large as the one I had in the restaurant, beautifully laid with white tablecloth, flowers, etc.

If the rooms were completely re-furbished, this might be a great place to stay for either business or pleasure. I heard that there is a shortage of hotel accommodation in Port of Spain, so there is no real incentive to do anything about it, but that new hotels are being built, so hopefully this will change. The one saving factor for me was that every single member of staff I came into contact with was friendly and helpful - that can make up for a lot of negatives.

• Sep 2, 2013 at 5:58 AM

I stayed @ Hilton Trinidad for the Independence weekend and I am absolutely disappointed, on Sunday 1st @8.30am when I got the lobby, it had about 5-8 families waited to be seated, the hostess was taking room number, I give my room number she told me I had to wait for 15mins which turn into 35mins. Didn't they know that they are booked out, couldn't they put something in place for this. Totally unsatisfied customer...