Tropikist Beach Hotel

Otel.com Hotelsclick.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 13% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Tropikist Beach Hotel

Cheap and Cheerful with the best pool

by waringa about Tropikist Hotel

Pretty good hotel for the price that you pay.
As long as you go with the right attitude and treat people as you would like to be treated, then this hotel is great.
I read a lot of reviews on the net before I went here that were very mixed and so didn't know what to expect.
During my stay I had nothing but the best possible service bearing in mind where you are.
That said, I also witnessed an arrogant couple get less than perfect service but probably no worse than the deserved!
The manager of this hotel (Sam) is a wonderful guy who I swear never sleeps. He opened the car door as we arrived and was ever present throughout our stay. Sam's attention to detail was a great plus point to our stay.
The pool at this property is fantastic and it is well placed to get to most places of interest.
Some areas of the property could do with a lick of paint but I think that this is reflected in the price and there is evidence of work being carried out. Pool, price, manager, view.
My Fiancé and I stayed in a Superior room with All Inclusive service; whilst I'd recommend the AI option as it only adds about $15 per day on (but do eat out!) I would only bother with a standard room, as there is little difference. We went with the Superior as it had a bathtub, however it's really only a half tub and of little more use than a shower!
Note that you can't swim from the beach here as it is a protected coral reef, however the pool is fantastic and you are only a 5-minute walk from some fantastic beaches.
Oh yes, and even though we went in September we did see a turtle swimming in the sea from the breakfast restaurant!

Convenient to beach and airport in Tobago

by pachen431 about Tropikist Hotel

A swim up bar, breakfast buffet, decent food, clean basic room. Two pools, one more traditional and one that loops around with a swim up bar. Pleasant service. Our flight left later in the evening so they kept our bags for us while we took advantage of the few extra hours at the beach and then let us use a room to shower and change for our flight back to Trinidad. Near the airport but now walking distance unless you like a long walk. Not far from Store Bay (beach). Near other restaurants if you feel inclined to eat off premises. While not luxurious by Amreican standards, the hotel is clean. The pool with a swim up bar has little benches built in so you can relax and enjoy your cocktail. This pool is shaped like a lagoon with an island in the middle to encourage just leaisurely floating and conversation. The second pool is the more traditional rectangular shape.

loved the tropikist

by TripAdvisor Member candykiss30

just got back 3rd sept from tropikist .loved every second of it staff great food exellent rooms clean pool fantastic .going back next year. dont read the reviews go there your self and see.

problems with tropikist

we have just literally returned from the tropikist, having spent 2 weeks there, we found it a big disappointment, having been informed that we were to be 5 mins from the airport, we were in fact right next to the runway, the food is repetitive and unimaginative as is the evening entertainment, only 3 nights of enterainment and one of those was on twice.
we found majority of staff extremely friendly and helpful others in need of some further training, in communication.
also although its called the beach hotel there is in fact no beach nearest beach is 10 mins away.

tropikist- don't go in fear

after reading all the above reviews and having just booked a holiday at the tropikist I went to tobago full of fear of what my trip would bring. However, to my suprise the rooms were clean and spacious. The pool was a little grubby though. I have to say the some of staff were intolerable and a few were helpful. The cocktails were great but lunch (don't have the burger) and supper were very much hospital food (go for the local dish if any, they know how to cook this). Oh and the towels and sheets were up to relativley decent standard.

Tropikist - Don't Believe the Bad Press

Like many of the other recent entries here, I travelled to the Tropikist with some trepidation - no need! Staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and spacious, and the food plentiful and enjoyable (Although I could see that the menu could get a little repititive if there for longer than one week). Even Hurricane Ivan could not dampen our, or the staff's spirits. An ideal place to unwind!

tropikist staff made our honey moon perfect

we have just returned home from our honey moon which we spent at the tropikist beach hotel resort, after reading some reports about the tropikist we were a bit weary about staying there, however we could not of asked for a more perfect honey moon!! We made lots of friends and they were mainly the staff who were out of this world! Everyone at the tropikist looked after us, nothing was too much of a problem! So much so we really didnt want to leave. the rooms were clean and spacious. the rooms had fresh clean towels every day, the food was lovely and freshly cooked at every meal time, lots of fresh fruit. tobago itself is an unspoiled paradise that we would happily move to tomorrow! locals are friendly and laid back nothing in tobago is a problem! You must go and make your own mind up the tropikist hotel and all staff will not let you down!!

You get what you pay for

by TripAdvisor Member Anna00

This resort can be best described as average. It has a great location, you get little disturbance from the airport and there are lots of amenities close by. The rooms are of a good size, and whilst the shower was not as powerful as what we are used to at home, it served its purpose. They are cleaned daily, and the sheets and towels were clean. The only problem we encountered, was that having a ground floor room, lots of ants would find there way in.

The pool is great, and the pool bar certainly an added bonus. The staff are all pleasant if a little slow, but you are on holiday in the Caribbean, we learnt by day two to just CHILL and go with it!

As for the food, we paid only £100 extra each for the all inclusive option with the intention of drinking it, and that we did! We occasionally had breakfast which was basic, and lunch which we always found to be really nice. We only ate in the evening once, which was not good, but by all accounts it got better as the week progressed. However there are some great restaurants near by, which are all quite reasonably priced.

In summary if you want the quality and the service of the Coco Reef (which is wonderful) then you have to pay for it (which would have been three times more than Tropikist). You don't get 5* luxury for 3* prices, and never was this more true than at the Tropikist. If you are quite laid back and realistic about what to expect then go to the Tropikist (room only - unless you enjoy a drink, or are not too fussy about food), and have a fantastic time in Tobago, it is a beautiful island, with lovely people. We shall certainly be returning!

I must also add that whilst there is not a long stretch of beach, there is a beach which is suitable for sunbathing and great for snorkling. There is also a jetty where my partner spent a lot of time watching the crabs, from here he also saw a morray eel and a baby turtle... which made his holiday!

Ignore the snotty reviews - its lovely

I visited the Tropikist in April with my boyfriend, and was worried that our first holiday together would end up featuring on Holidays from Hell after reading some of the reviews.
However, when we arrived I was pleasantly suprised by the friendly helpful staff, and the clean spacious room. Granted, the menu is a bit repetitive, but they serve hot fresh bread with every meal that is absolutely gorgeous! We just varied our meals with a few meals out.
Rooms are cleaned every day, and my only gripe was that the shower was a bit of a drip, but it did the job.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who doesnt expect the earth from their hotel and its staff, and wants a relaxing peaceful holiday.

dont send ronnie biggs there

The virgin brochure is very wrong in its description Im afraid , the grounds and pool area are very pleasant , but thats all its got going for it. The food over the two weeks was not to my liking and we missed 2 meals and went out round the corner to R-B- LOUS for 4 nights. The rooms especially the bathroom were short on several items and having reported them some were not forthcoming.We made allowances during the hurricane period but the communication from magement left a lot to be desired.T he staff were always very friendly and always courteous but never seemed that professional at times. The colour co-ordination of the sheets were nice....one white , one grey. Even with all that critiscism my wife and I had agood holiday because we made it so having met some exellent friends and who were of the same opinion as ourselves,but dont let me put you off , we could only judge the hotel with others visited in the past , thats all you can do. If I had to give it stars Im afraid i could only manage 1 to 2. Nice Island , nice people , average hotel.
A true trip advisor.