4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about VHL Tobago Golf & Spa Resort

Fantastic time at the Hilton Tobago

by TripAdvisor Member Lynn018

We have just return from a fabulous 2 week holiday at the Hilton in Tobago. I agree with some of the other reviewers that the service is slow,but it is the caribbean,not the USA or Europe. Anyway you are supposed to be on holiday so whats the rush? The food is excellent and the staff could not be more friendly or helpful. The rooms are spacious and kept very clean. If you choose to eat in the open air then,yes,there are birds,but you are sitting in their habitat and they will try to share your food. If you don't like that then sit inside. we didn't have any problems with mosquitos the hotel provide bug mats in the rooms with complimentary anti mossie tablets.
Just go and enjoy. Remember you are in the Caribbean and chill out! If you go say hi to Natasha

Great bang for the buck

by ktduncan about Hilton Tobago

We loved this place. It functions about the same as the St Kitts Marriott - clean comfortable and reasonably priced base from which to explore a great island.

The beach isn't that great as there are far better in Tobago, but the nighttime views of the city along the coast are nice. The pool is great, the beer is cheap (only a buck a bottle - that has to be a Hilton record), and the architecture is great. It really feels as though you are somewhere really exotic - and I guess you are. It is pretty cool just to hang around in the bars and watch the businessmen do their thing.

You will have to rent a car though to see the rest of the island as nothing is within walking distance, but driving around Tobago is a great time.

Lovely and Serene

by TripAdvisor Member Jackson071004

We stayed at the Hilton Tobago in July for our honeymoom.

First the Good: Beautiful property, not too far from the airport, serene, peaceful, romantic. I disagree with the other reviewers about the staff. The staff was very pleasant and accomodating. After finding out we were on our honeymoon, they upgraded our room and surprised us with flower petals strewn about the room and champagne!

Bad: The food at the hotel is not that great. You have to compete with the local birds at the breakfast buffet. The open air restaurant is pretty, but the birds were a nuisance.

Ugly: Ants, Ants, everywhere! Mosquitoes too! The staff spray the rooms almost daily, but I guess this is just part of being on a lush, island.

Overall, we were pretty satisfied with our visit. Will we return to Tobago? Yes. Will we stay at the Hilton. Maybe.

Average Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SharonMansfield

The Hilton Tobago is a nice hotel but it is in no way a 5 star deluxe hotel. The rooms are nice and big and very comfortable. The restaurants are ok with average food and very haphazard service. The staff overall are very friendly and are really helpful. We enjoyed our stay here but we got the vacation as a last minute deal. Had I paid full price for this holiday then I do think I would have been incredibly disappointed. I have stayed in much nicer and efficient 3 and 4 star hotels throughout the world.
The gardens are well maintained and are very pretty but the hotel itself looks a bit shabby in places. I think that this hotel relies to much on its Hilton name and could try harder

A Wonderful Time

My mother remarried in the spring of 2003 and her new husband took her for a three week honeymoon in the Tropics. You'd think my mother would have loved Barbados the most since her father is from there, but both she and my step-father fell in love with Tobago. They loved it so much that they took me back with them in the Spring of 2004. I couldn't have been happier.
There was a problem when we arrived because we were held up on another island. We told them we'd be a day late and our reservation was accidentally canceled entirely. They were very kind and sorry. The staff put us in another room until ours was vacated and cleaned which took several hours. They even moved our things to the new room for us. I felt that they handled it to the best of their ability, bringing my very distressed mother some very good complementary food and drink and even leaving a fruit basket in our new room.
The cleaning staff and other staff were very polite and all smiles. I was a bit worried about traveling abroad as an American woman, but they made me fell very comfortable and relaxed. The bungaloes were beautiful and the on-site dive center is a fantastic feature that my step-father and I took full advantage of. The food and its presentation were fantastic and I'm a self-proclaimed picky eater.
The rest of the island was fantastic as well. I highly recommend a visit to Andre, Martin, and the rest of the people at the dive shop. They offer much more than diving for those of you who like to just snorkel or take a boat tour. Another not-to-be-missed of Tobago is a Rainforest Tour. The local cuisine is definitely worth a cab ride into the surrounding area. Beautiful beaches, friendly service, and just an atmosphere of ease and friendship keep me begging my parents to take me back to the Hilton Tobago as a graduation from college gift.

definately not delux!

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton tobago in January 2005. Booked through a well established long haul operator that we always use - not cheap - but usually they are a good company and worth paying a bit extra. Sadly they have been let down by this hotel and the local representatives. Arrived on 10th January, and at 19.30 when we went feeling very tired, to get a meal, first at the a la carte restaurant. Only a couple of tables occupied, but were told completely full until the following sunday! said ok would have a meal in the cafeteria style restaurant, but told they were also fully booked! Eventually had to settle for an expensive, not very nice sandwich in the bar! Service was non existant - the hotel was full and they simply could not cope. They were using sheets on the beds that were too small, and therefore wrinkled up and were uncomfortable. Fittings in our room were broken, including the patio door, which had a temporary repair so that it could be closed. General maintenance very poor, - roof leaked, and guttering had fallen away in places. Tiles missing from the pool - tide mark of scum all the way around the pool. Public toilets at the pool were often flooded or blocked with sewerage and smelt! The caribbean is very expensive, and this hotel is no exception - they need to look carefully at staff training and motivation and clean up the hotel. We have contact Hilton, but they have not replied. We are awaiting a reply from our travel agent.

Relaxing time in Tobago

We had a wonderful two weeks in Tobago staying at the Hilton in November. The service was excellent and I can't praise the staff enough. Unlike some of the reviews we didn't experience any insect problems in our room or anywhere inside. The breakfast buffet was fantastic, something for everyone, and the other meals were good. We stayed all inclusive and did find the buffet a bit predictable after the first week, but you couldn't fault the quality.
The entertainment on Thursday and Friday night was enjoyable, but I would suggest that you go to the Golden Star on their talent contest night, and stay late at Sunday School at Hendrix's Bar.
Tobago is a wonderful country to visit since tourism hasn't totally taken over, and we had a very relaxing time, would recommend the Tobago Hilton just based on the friendly and welcoming staff alone. However I would say, hire a car, get off the resort, explore and meet some of the friendliest people in the world!

Can be better

My brother and his wife, and my husband and I spent 2 nights at the Hilton during August. They had this great package deal we couldn't resist. I didn't give the 5-star rating for 2 reasons. One, management could stand to keep up with the maintenance. We found the iron cross beams over staircases and crevices to be rusting badly from sea blast. The hotel is also badly in need of a good paint job. Also, my husband and I had problems with the iron in our room, which was eventually replaced after repeated calls to the front desk. My bother also had problems with his iron and called for a replacement. Guess what they did? They gave him the same iron that my husband and I turned in earlier for being faulty.

Two, I noticed that the staff does not show the local and Trinidadian guests the same courtesy and deference that they reserve for European and American guests. With the exception of my husband who is American, the rest of us are Trinidadians. So the times when we wanted something, we had my husband call or make the request because of his accent. It got us what we wanted, but it shouldn't have to be that way. My husband was amused by this, but the rest of us weren't. If we're paying the same money in US dollars, we should get the same service.

On the plus side, we found the food to be very good. We also liked our rooms, expecially the modern bathrooms with separate shower and tub, and a marble sink. The grounds are magnificently kept and the swimming pool was clean and well maintained.

The hotel has to potential to live up to its 5-star potential, but it's badly in need of a staff overhaul in customer service.

Don't do it

Stayed Jan 8th to 15th, was supposed to stay until 20th, but changed flights and came home early. NO WAY 5 STAR DELUXE. Such a disapointment, couldn't believe it. Its in the middle of nowhere!!! Food awful. Hotel rooms basic, toilet didn't always flush, oh I could go on forever, but I won't bore you. Paid ������200 to return early with no likelyhood of refund. Good Luck to anyone else who is brave enough to try. Problem is no competition. Sorry.

Good facilities but poor location and incompetent staff

by TripAdvisor Member FulhamHugo

Unfortunately, during the period of my stay 9th-23rd January, the hotel was almost full, due to people diverting from SE Asia. This may be one reason why my experience was not as positive as some other reviewers'.

The room was large and well furnished. The lobby was stunning. I enjoyed the breeze (which could be quite strong) and the beach (coarse gritty sand), although many guests did not like either. Breakfast buffet was fresh and plentiful - although there were birds pecking at the croissants! Lunch buffet was poor. Dinner buffet was ok in the week and poor at the weekend.

There were some helpful, friendly staff, but they were the exception. Most simply could not cope. Some were rude. It took 40 minutes of discussions at the Check In desk to get the room we had booked. Some items 'disappeared' from our room and minibar. The hotel ran out of towels (both room and pool). It is located on a private estate - an expensive taxi ride from anywhere. The a la carte menu never changed. The all inclusive procedure was painful - you could easily wait 15 minutes for a drink then another 15 to sign for it. Actually, the record was 53 minutes for a pot of lukewarm coffee! The 'fine dining' restaurant had a policy of only accepting bookings 24 hours ahead - but was always full for the next 3 days! On one occasion I asked which flavours of icecream were available. Twenty minutes after ordering the waitress returned to tell me that my choice was 'off'! The ordinary restaurant was often full at popular times. So you either had to queue or come back later. Neither restaurant was well managed.

It's easy to find things to whinge about, but I paid a lot less than the brochure price so I really should not complain.

Friendly greetingFriendly greeting