3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 54% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Grafton Beach Resort

All inclusive

by kyoub about Grafton Beach Resort

Grafton Beach Resort Is located five miles from both the International airport and Scarborough.
Surrounded by five acres of lush, tropical hills and fronted by the Caribbean Sea

Fabulous island

by TripAdvisor Member marilyn007

Just got back from a terrific two weeks at Grafton Beach resort. Excellent food, lovely friendly staff, comfortable beds and friendly people all over this beautiful island. Everyone wants to help, even complete strangers. The beach is beautiful. Don't be put off by the black sand. It feels the same as the white silky stuff. Can't wait to go backMarilyn Mahabir

Surprsingly pleasant

I too was very sceptical at first after booking myself in the grafton yet any doubts were quickly set aside as soon as I got there. As a single traveller all I wanted was 7 days of relaxation, lying on a deck chair on the beach reading a ton of books, and basically switch off and do nothing...and that's exactly what I got. The food was good, the beach was clean and the staff friendly. Beach vendors were a tad annoying yet not overbearing once you strongly (yet politely) indicate that you're not interested. Don't spend your entire trip being stuck in the compound, you HAVE to see the rest of this gorgeous island. The hotel is very good at helping to organize day trips to other parts of Tobago. I did the 'Speyside Safari' hiking through the rain forest and then snorkelling on the Northern tip. I have nothing but good things to say about both Tobago and the Grafton Beach resort. I'm already trying to organize a return visit within the next 6 months.

Still some work to do......

Having just returned for a 2 week visit residing at the Grafton Beach , I was slightly disappointed with some of the staff's attitudes. Some of the staff were very helpful , however a number mostly based in the restuarant at lunchtime and also on duty at reception left a lot to be desired - they were very unhelpful and uninformative. It took us 6 phone calls one day to acquire clean towels !! Also the swimming pool was constantly mirky and a number of guests (including me) contracted an ear infection from it - we were "informed" this was due to the wrong type of chlorine being used !! Apart from this , the weather and surroundings were quite beautiful which made up for the above. I do not think that the hotel is in the 3+ star category , and could do with a substantial amount of modernisation in the near future.

95% there !

by TripAdvisor Member shazr2

We have jsut returned for an excellent week in Tobago. We loved the island, the scenery left us in awe, it is a beautiful place. I am a customer service manager in the travel industry so sometimes never switch off and have the following comments. I never experienced any problems with sunbeds at the pool or the beach, so perhaps we were lucky, but i agree with the person who said the british were bad at putting their towels over them ! 2 days at the beach we saw towels on loungers and never actaully saw the guests ! but they could do with a few more. We found the beach excellent apart from a very tiny bit at the end where the best snorkelling is. We werent bothered by beach vendors except on the first day and even then there were only 2. there were vendors on the beach who had stalls set up and they sat back and waited for you to go to them. the one tip i would say is stay away from the man who offers aloe vera, he was very pushy with us but never approached us again. The food was excellent and we had no problems with the restaurant - 99% of the staff were excellent. I agree with everyone about Neptunes - this is a first class restaurant that the management need to make better use of. As for making block bookings - if you do then please use your reservations and dont make other guests miss out.
The food is fantastic. The guest relations staff Skye and Elroy were great, but they could do with more brochures etc to let people see the products that they offer. I also found 1 or 2 of the reception staff a bit unfriendly but that cannot be said for all of them. Overall i think the staff are a very strong point for the hotel. This hotel is value for money and people must remember that the way of life in Tobago is more relaxed than in the UK. I would go back and i would reccommend the Grafton Beach, remember its not a 5 star resort so dont expect that !

Veddy, veddy British

The Grafton is a well-priced place for what it offers. I checked out other resorts along that part of the coast that were far more expensive, such as the "Grand Coulan" and the "Rex Turtle." The Grafton offers nice cheerful rooms and patios with lovely views. The bathrooms rate as the best in all the places I stayed at on Tobago. Bathtub and shower were clean and modern, and there were small things like the line over the tub for hanging up a wet bathing suit.

You'll find yourself amongst a frolicking crowd of well-to-do British vacationers. The food often reflects their taste for things like herring for breakfast. The dining hall is staffed by a quite starchy bevy of uniformed Tobagan woman. It feels formal and obsequious without being exactly unfriendly. Meals are often banquet-style with plenty to chose from.

The hotel overlooks the ocean but is actually separated from it by a road. Hectic breakers and strong undertow would make it an unsafe place for children to swim.

A different View

Well ,all the recent reviews on Grafton are pretty positive, let me balance it a little. This is a 2star hotel that is creaking. Numerous folk complain of broken air con, leaky bathrooms, and count the number of fans that dont work in the bar . It is in serious need of some investment that cant be covered by the lick of paint its had.

True the food is of a high standard , and the majority of the staff try very hard to smile. But with the hotel at high capacity , it all starts to creak. There arnt enough beach towels to go round so you have to carefully plan your attack on the front desk. The pool cleanliness is questionable (sit in the neptunes restaurant at night and you'll see what I mean) . The restaurant booking service is fun , as long as you get up nice and early to book , otherwise condemn yourself to eating after 9pm every night. The Neptune restaurant is good (but only sits 18 people) not alot when the hotel has 100 plus bedrooms. And sadly some folk just book it for days and days ahead !

And whilst the beach is nice.... (thats if your ok with old fridges and junk at one end of it) the beach sellers are a joke ! !!! Whilst they are cool/ chilled out/ free they always t come for their chat ....even if you are fast asleep ! Sure they eventually get the message but only if you say no thank you every day ....And if you can cope with 20 plus interuptions every morning ...and afternoon .thats ok I guess. Not my idea of relaxation actually Now to the nice guy who snuck beer out of the beach bar for these guys (firstly not sure the hotel would thank you for this) . One assumes he didnt mind when the local alccies and Ghanja boy came along begging for beer too ! I also see that everyone seems to have neglected to mention that the gates at the back of the hotel get locked at 6 pm , so you have to be off the beach, and cant be there at sunset (unless you walk the 20 minutes round the block , which the hotel management go to great pins to point out is 'at your own risk' !! So some positive stuff. Tobago is a beautiful Island. The Seahorse Inn next to the hotel is a stunningly good restaurant (DO NOT MISS IT !!)

But for me......I'll head east from the UK next time

Almost There.....

Great food, great location, good accommodation except for the air conditioning which let us down for three nights !! The problems we experienced were mainly on the beach - not enough sun beds or parasols, and we often couldn't get fresh towels for the day.The front desk staff leave something to be desried. Some are really friendly - some are anything but ! One or two clearly should not be employed on the front desk, as all they do is scowl !Overall, we enjoyed what we had - lots of sun, great snorkelling off the beach, including turtles and moray eels, and a beautiful island to explore.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I would like to start off by saying my wife and I had an absolutley magical holiday on the island of Tobago and The Grafton Hotel did there part to ensure we did. However all good things have an ugly behind so let me pre warn you of one or two things which will hopefully make your time there even better than ours. Let me begin with the complimentary green towels that the hotel supply you with on your first day. Try and keep hold of these for as long as possible as after a few days the hotel runs out of them and you will have to do without (They are like gold dust after day 4!) It's worth reserving them at reception so that you do not have to get up at the crack of dawn to grab one. Secondly, each morning before you are taken to your breakfast table you will be asked what time you would like dinner for that evening. When you book in make sure you book for the following evening too. This will mean that you eat at sociable times and not 10pm which is the only time that would be left if you happen to lie in or skip breakfast. Next, let me tell you about the hotels Neptune Restaurant. The Neptune offers a menu dedicated to seafood and it is absolutley delicious however, it only has room for 16 or so people so you have to book up days in advance to get to sample it. If you like seafood make a block booking for a few nights in a row when you get there. You will not be dissapointed. My last tip is too get up early to get yourself a good spot on the beach or by the pool. The British are the worst in the world when it comes to putting towels over sun loungers! If you lie in too long you will be left with very little choice. I recommend getting up at 6:30 to get the best spot, also the beach is breathtaking at that time in the morning.
Before signing off let me put your mind at ease on areas which others have been a little unfair. The rooms are comfortable, extremely clean and the views awesome. 80% of the staff will bend over backwards for you-ignore the other 20% and the beach sellers aren't to bad. We will certainly go back. Have a nice time.

Loving Tobago

by Chantilly18

"The map"

This is as you can see the map of T&T. In this Travelogue you'll find information about Tobago.

Some nice flowers. I always thought these flowers were called Boganvillas, but a VT friend thought me that these flowers are called Rosus Sinesis. In T&T you will find the most beautiful flora&fauna. T&T is also known for this, so if you visit, you'll be certain to see beautiful things.

"The Argyle waterfalls"

There was so little light, so the picure looks like it's black&white. It'so peaceful to hear the water run. Taking a dip is nice too. The first time we wanted to visit the falls it was raining too hard so the water was too high and it was too dangerous for us to go there. This picture was taken when we were touring around the island.

This the Nylonpool. In the sea a natural sandbank has been formed here. Because of the clear water and color it looks like a pool. You can visit the Nylonpool with a glassbottomboat which leave from Store Bay. It's not expensive, so don't let them rip you off! Make a good deal with them.

"Pigeon Point"

In the distance you can see Pigeon Point. You have all the entertainment you need to spend the day here. You have to pay an entrance price, last ime I went it was about TT$2. You can play volleyball with some friends or eat and drink something at the bar. Or if you want to have some peace you can lay on the beach!

Here you see Pigeon Point Beach from closeby. If you're in Tobago for the first time, this is a great way for you to meet people.

"Grafton Beach Resort"

This beach has another name, but I forgot the name. Since it's laying directly at this hotel I used that name to give you an indication.

blue waters love this beachblue waters love this beach

Backward roll for divingBackward roll for diving

Bago's Beach Bar signBago's Beach Bar sign

Piegeon Point, TobagoPiegeon Point, Tobago

wetaher tobago

by leahingham

I am due to be travelling to tobago with my partner on mon 24th jan 2005- we would like some idea on what the weather will be like as we have been told to expect rain-
has anybody recently returned from here and could give us some info please?

were staying at the grafton beach resort and would also like info on this- thanks

Re: wetaher tobago

by LisaMJ

January is the beginning the peak time in the Caribbean! It does rain there hence many of the islands being so lush, but you won't be rained in at all. The rain usually comes at night so you won't notice it, or if it does come during the day it's usually only for a short time, and often a welcome relief from the heat.

hth