Tobago Island Suites

Corner of Auchenskeoch & Shirvan Road, Mount Irvine, Caribbean
Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Tobago Island Suites

Visit Little Tobago Island. ...

by roamer61

Visit Little Tobago Island. The larger island in the accpanying photo is Little Tobago.
This is one of the great seabird colonies in the Americas. On the island, one may see both Red Footed and Brown Boobies, and the main attraction, Red Billed Tropic Birds.
Both in flight and, during certain times of the year, nest. Other birds are found here, but these 3 are the real draw.

Content is coming up!

by Lenski

Last year, I worked and lived in Scarborough, Tobago, for 5 months. I completely fell in love with this beautiful island and especially the people. I am planning to go back some day for a longer period but it is very hard to get a visa. I have tons of pics which I will be adding to this page soon!

Exceptional island with Letonian inhabitants

by jorgejuansanchez

I went to Tobago Island by ferry (flying is for tourists. We, travellers, prefer to take boats, trains, buses, or just to walk to contact the local people and get to know more closely the country).
There are several sailings from Port of Spain. The boat was called T & T Ferry.
After a few hours the boat called in Scarborough, Tobago capital. I noticed that Tobago inhabitants are mainly black, from Africa, while in Trinidad the majority of the population is from India.
Tobago was baptized Bella Forma (beautiful shape) by Columbus, but it was never colonized by the Spaniards, although several times we removed from it the Dutch, who wanted to install themselves there. Spain only controlled Trinidad Island, until we cede it to England in 1802.
I read that the first colons to get to Tobago were the Latvians, from the Courland Dukedom, during the XVIII century. But they were soon expelled by the Caribs Indians. They returned several times and founded a fortress plus a Lutheran church. Afterwards, the Latvians founded another settlement, called New Courland, in an island of Gambia, Africa. I felt curiosity for the legacy of the Latvian people, so after visiting in the morning the town of Scarborough and its fruit market I walked during two hours to Plymouth (nobody gave me a lift). But I did not see any remains of them. Then I headed to Pigeon Point Beach to sleep on the sands of the beach, but before of that I climbed a coconut tree and cut two coconuts, one for my dinner and the other one for my breakfast.
In the morning I asked the tourists living in their yachts in that beach for a sailing boat heading to Europe, Canary Islands, for instance, but they told me that the Alisians winds (Trade winds) had finished. If I wanted to navigate to Europe, I had to get to Bermuda and then to the Azores archipelago. Since travelling to Bermuda was very expensive, I resolved to buy a cheap ticket to Frankfurt, for 300 euro, from Antigua, with Condor airlines.
So, I returned to Port of Spain by boat. The boat journey is a pleasure. During several hours you admire the coast of the island of Tobago and then of Trinidad. On board there are films and cafeterias. After Trinidad I headed to Carriacou Island.

Pictures of Tobago

by Blondiina

As you can see, Back Bay might be a good spot for a group picnic, but not exactly a good place for a swim.

Black Rock Village street

The inner part of Tobago is very mountainous.

As the inner part is very mountainous, there are plenty of nice look-out points to the sea through the island.

When driving to Speyside, stop by to admire to view to the sea from this look-out point.

Before this year, Tobago had its last hurricane in 1967. It caused plenty of damage to the nature. During that hurricane this tree was cut by a lightning. Some say that this is the oldest tree in Tobago.

One of the many forts in Tobago, Fort King George in Scarborough.

Tobago is a very lush island with lots of beautiful flowers and plants.

Sunshine - After the Huricane

by kim_shell

We visited Tobago in early October after the carribean was hit by a series of huricanes. Only the north part of Tobago island we hit, however the damage was rather extensive, in particular the marine life. We did a package tour which I would recommend to anyone - however stay away from the upmarket hotels if you want to get closer to the local folk.

We staged at the Turtle Rex which was not bad value - the staff were really friendly and had some magnificent meals and sunshine.

Sunday school is a must - and nothing better than a Carrib beer on a warm night.

Naturalist Beach Resort

by lucyguajardo

Hi!!!

Still looking the perfect place for my hooneymoon...just 60 days for my wedding!!!!

somebody stay at Naturalist Beach Resort at Tobago Island???

somebody heard about that place?

or some suggestion about a bunwaloo or cabain next to the beach at tobago?

thanks in advance..
Lucy

Re: Naturalist Beach Resort

by shair00

I stayed at a cabin in Flagstaff Arizona in the honeymoon suite. You would love this place if you like being in the forest

Safe in Trinidad?

by j-bro

Hi there,

I am hopefully traveling to Trinidad in March to photograph a wedding. I am a professional photographer here in Toronto. I will be traveling on my own and am just wondering how safe Trinidad is for someone like me traveling with my equipment? I have recently traveled quite a lot to Mexico City & area so I am quite aware of the safety issues there. I'm hoping that Trinidad is not as bad.. Please help if you can.

by Pomerol

Are you going to be in Port of Spain or on Tobago Island? The latter is quite safe and pleasant. In Port of Spain, you need to be careful as in any major city. When I was there we had been warned about potential dangers to tourists in PoS so just keep your wits about you. It is a beautiful country. You'll enjoy it.

by lulabama

Safe..... my partner and I have just returned from tobago with post traumatic stress, due to a serious incident which took place at our hotel.
what they say in the travel warnings is true - the place is so dodgy that the only way to really enjoy it is to book yourself into a 4 or 5 star resort, as that is where they would have security.

Bandits with guns target tourists in their hotel rooms and then everybody tries to cover this up by insisting the island is safe for travel.

you need to be extra vigilent, very careful and make sure you are staying somewhere which has adequate security -- our extra vigilence paid off as it avoided me being taken hostage.

just be careful and aware
best of luck

by andreamuse

You've probably already gone and hopefully had a good experience. Like the poster above me, I had a traumatic experience (my friend and I were assaulted and robbed in a villa in Black Rock in the middle of the night) in Tobago and will never go back (and I live in Trinidad as a foreigner, where it's supposed to be MORE unsafe). I wish people would stop saying Tobago is so safe. It's not.

Comments