10 Coconut Rd, Turtle Cove, Caribbean
Hotels.com Tingo.com Travelocity

More about Providenciales Island

JumpingCHRIS+LIZ, Honeymoon-Turks and Caicos, 2009JumpingCHRIS+LIZ, Honeymoon-Turks and Caicos, 2009

The Mrs and I enjoying our eveningThe Mrs and I enjoying our evening

Keep walking I can see our destinationKeep walking I can see our destination

Heart in the sandHeart in the sand

Travel Tips for Providenciales Island

Caribbean Cuisine

by cjg1

I love visiting the Caribbean not only beause it's beautiful but the food is outrageously good. I love the local Caribbean Lobster, the tasty conch dishes and the local spirits.

Caribbean Lobster is a spiny lobster. There are no claws and the meat is all in the tail section. The meat is very sweet and tender. I think it's the best Lobster around and I know my wife will agree. I think she had over eight Lobsters on our honeymoon.

Conch is another tasty favorite. I have had conch in several ways: conch fritter, grilled conch, conch salad, stuffed conch and conch chowder. It really is good and I always look forward to having it when we are in the Caribbean.

The local rum was quite good and the name escapes me...... It was often used in our drink and I really liked the flavor. The local beer, Turks head was very good and my wife and I enjoyed seeral mugs and botles of it on our honeymoon.

Sea Kayaking

by cjg1

Sea Kayaking was one of the water sports included at our resort. It is hard work getting started and pulling away from shore with the tide fighting against you. After several attempts we finally made it out for a nice ride. The water was pretty calm once we got out but the occasional wave made Liz laugh hysterically to the point I thought we might tip over. After I started feeling a little sunburn coming on we headed back to shore.

It was a nice experience to paddle out in the water and see the island from the sea.

Beachy Barefoot Dining

by cjg1 about Barefoot by the Sea

Barefoot by the Sea is one of the restaurants on the Beaches property serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurant is close to the beach right by the sand dunes. There are several picnic tables set up under a hut styled roof. The tables are set in the white sand of the beach so need to worry about wearing shoes.

The menu has a variety of American items as well as local and international specialties. Our favorite meals here were breakfast. We enjoyed eating outside with our feet in the sand in the early morning before it got too hot outside. During our meals here we usually were seated in the same table for two in the sand. Breakfast began with a fresh fruit salad and breakfast pastries being brought to the table. The fruit salad was a favorite of mine with delicious pineapple, cantaloupe, kiwi, watermelon and grapes. My breakfast of choice was the breakfast burrito which was incredibly good. Most days Liz just had a bagel with cream cheese and some apple juice.

Lunch here was good but a bit on the hot side. Our one dinner experience here; Liz's meat was inedible so we didn't return for another try. The service here is definitely on "island time" so don't expect to be in and out in a hurry. Despite the slow pace of the staff they are very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast burrito was my favorite. Two tortillas filled with bacon, sausage, peppers, scrambled eggs and cheese. It was a perfectly cooked breakfast that was tasty and a good portion.

Snorkel

by cjg1

Snorkeling was a free activity at our resort. Snorkel equipment was kept at the Water Sports Desk. We were able to give our room number and sign out the equipment. Snorkel areas were designated by red buoys in the water. There were both man made and natural reefs. Our first day of snorkeling we didn't see much in the water. A few small silver fish drifted by. Our second day snorkeling had a larger variety of fish and sand dollars. It was a fun experience and Liz's first time snorkeling ever.

Take a Dip in the Caribbean Pools

by cjg1

The Caribbean Village section of the resort had two small pool areas with jacuzzis. The pools were less crowded than the Trevi or Italian pools on the other side of the resort. The Caribbean pools were used for water volleyball games and water aerobics in the morning and early afternoon hours. We only managed to swim here once since we enjoyed the heated Trevi pool and the Riviera pool the best.

Comments