3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Ocean Club Resort

Simply Paradise

We spent 9 nights at Ocean Club east on April 14 to the 23. Actually we extended our stay an additional 2 nights from our original plans, the added cost was well spent. Even the cloudy days we were on the beach in our bathings suits and loving it. We had a junior suite on the first floor, it was large and met all our needs. We never locked the door on the screen porch except at night even when we spent most of the day out on the beach or down the beach (Coral Gardens) snorkeling. Food was great, we split our meals between cooking ourselves (including making use of the 3 gas BBQs) and eating out. The package included 3 days of meals and a rental car for 2 days, this worked out perfectly for us. We had the car the first 2 full days so we could get to the AGI grocery store to stock up. Best meals of the trip were at the Ocean Club's 2 restrurants. We always felt safe, everyone was increadibly friendly and we were never bothered on the beach unlike our Mexico trips. You go to Provo for the beach, water sports and a lot of relaxing. We expected more lush vegatation and there isn't any except for the hotel landscaping. The only downside was the long flight times to and from Seattle, but well worth the trip. We will go back and we will stay at Ocean Club again.

Another Beautiful Day in Paradise

As the title suggests..Every morning we woke up to a beautiful view and great weather. Our unit was one building back from the beach so it was not classified as "oceanfront" but we still had great views to the side of our living room and screened in porch. We totally enjoyed our stay and would definately return. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the staff at the Cabana Bar and Grille oceanside. Because our son has food allergies, we brought food from home and we barbequed on the gas grills available for guests almost every night. There is a relatively new IGA foodstore a few miles away that stocks most items and a pretty good selection (but be prepared for sticker shock on prices). It saved us a ton on dining out every meal.
The rooms are clean and nice although starting to show their age. Some minor things like knobs falling off and some other minor things, but the staff was pretty good about fixing things. It was much quieter here than OC West (we went for a visit to compare) since there is construction everywhere. There is a construction project scheduled next to the ocean club some time in the next year. The Ocean Club is the last resort to the east and you get a very large and private beach beacause of this. Grace Bay Beach is THE BEST BEACH ON THE PLANET! Fabulous sunsets every night, no merchants and very safe. We walked under a full moon past all the resorts and were glad we were where we were, quiet and peaceful.

A great week in the sun!

by TripAdvisor Member ajax2000

We had a great time in Ocean Club East. On my first day on the beach I couldn't believe the silence. It felt great, but it was Sunday, on monday i heard hammering and drilling. They haven't started building the Tuscany yet but they are building a small shack where beach vendors will sell stuff. The government is building these shacks all over the beaches to provide jobs for beach vendors. I can't say it was much banging and it didn't really bother me, but its there.
The hotel is nice, The room was large and clean and had a workable kitchen (studio deluxe) rm 9302. This room had an island/parking lot view. I felt the room was very private. Even on the huge balcony which was mostly surrounded by palm trees. I believe if you want an ocean view you need to get a one bedroom. The room across the hall (9301) had a great view of the ocean.

We used the gas grill every day. We only ate out twice, the IGA is very convenient. I could not believe the quality of the roads. Horrendous, although they are in the process of upgrading all of them. They are extremely dangerous. No traffic lights signs or anything. An occasional "traffic circle" in the middle of the highway with sign that says "give way" whatever that means. Most cars just blow right through these circles. I read an article in the local paper about how dangerous and ignored these circles are. Most of the time you are driving on what appears to be the remnants of a paved road with thousands of potholes and sinkholes. Remember to stay on the left side of the street.

They are building everywhere, everywhere! Don't get me wrong I had a great time but you see construction, demolition, highway crews everywhere!!

The food is way overpriced, hence the use of the industrial size grills. These things are great and free to use for anyone at the hotel.

We ate at "belonger" restaurants, twice. 'Hole in the wall' was good but "smokeys on the bay' was much better. They post the meals on chalkboards without the price. It was 15 dollars apiece at both places. We had beers at the first place and sodas at the second. No reason to argue with these people, they charge half the price of any white owned restaurant. I'm from New York, usually when people tell me they have great restaurants in there resort island, it usually doesn't stack up to New York, LA or Paris food. I didn't believe it was worth 125 per person so we skipped it.

The beach was a lot of fun and calm. Some people swam out to the blacker area 100 feet off the beach and said they saw large groupers and barracudas.

We would feed the fish bread and they would mingle around our feet.

There is good snorkeling off the beach at coral gardens. They fenced off a 100 feet diameter circle of coral, just off the beach. You can swim around the circumference of the circle and see a variety of fish and sea turtles. They also have SNUBA there. It was fun. Looked like a nice beach and coral gardens and beaches are two hotels on this beach. I think it has more of a crowded feel than grace bay beach.

We also took a short trip to Iguana island. It cost 60 bucks or so for a private boat ride to this small island and 5 bucks per person for the short walk on the island boardwalk to see the iguanas. You can combine this island with snorkelling and lunch on a private beach for 85 per person I believe. You book these trips from one of the tour groups at Leeward marina.

I had a much better time on orient beach in st. martin, the year before at the alamanda resort. It has a more european feel. At Turks and Caicos you feel like you are in Florida.

The work at the Tuscany didn't look anywhere near starting. So you are probably safe through the summer for no 'noise" at ocean club. The building around grace bay club and OCW is hideous. Huge concrete buildings with scaffold and cranes. I really looked bad. I don' t know how noisy it was but it really looked terrible.

Anyway it was a great vacation.

I love Ocean Club- but when is construction starting???

My family also enjoyed a peaceful week at Ocean Club in February this year. I would love to return next winter but here rumours of construction beginning next door. Can anyone add to this?

We stayed in a very spacious deluxe one bedroom with oceanview. The place was very clean and had a wonderful corner screened porch that we loved. The IGA is expensive as others have commented, however with small children it is nice not to eat out every meal and restraurants are not cheap. The beach is heaven and the staff laid-back and friendly. The vibe here is very enjoyable- but 1 week is not enough!!!

If anyone can comment on rumours of construction- it would help me decide on a return visit!

Staying at the Ocean Club

by TripAdvisor Member ERISAjunkie

My wife and I spent ten days at the OCR from July 7 to the 17. We are experienced travellers to the Caribbean. I have vacationed in the islads over 25 years and this is my first visit to the OCR. I have stayed in other places in the TCI. This review will be about visiting TCI and OCR during the off season.

TCI is a laid back island. It is somewhat like the caymans about 15 years ago. There is a lot of construction going on because of a recent change in the government. The government wants to build up Provo but does not want the commercial feel of other Carribean destinations. The want an upscale second home environment. It is true that the roads are poor but they have improved since my first visit here in the early 1990's. No jest, some streets in NYC are worse. I have been to TCI four times and the roads have improved on each visit.

The island proper is no paradise. The construction is ugly. That being said, the beaches of Provo are magnificient. The water is crystal clear and the sand is almost pure white. If you like a calm beach then this is the place for you. Grace Beach is a bay. There is wave activity but it is muted. Motorized watersports are generally forbidden by the government except in desinated areas. If you want to, say, jetski, you have to go arrange it with the hotel or an operator who will pick you up and take you to a designated area.

The beach is the primary reason for visiting the TCI. It is expensive compared to other islands and other places have much better accomodations. The magic in the TCI is the fact that you can relax on unspoiled beaches. You will find no vendors, little or no loutish behaviour, screaming children or obtrusive mechanized beach activity. It is the place to actually read your summer novel.

The Ocean Club East is one of the older condo complexes on TCI. Notice the word condo. Some people have been disappointed in their rooms. That is because the resort apartments are owned by absentee landlords who rent them out on a weekly basis. They receive 40% of the proceeds with the corporation the owns OCR getting the remaining 60%. Upgrades to individual units come out out of the owners' 60%. Some owners have upgraded and some are waiting until their acoount balances are sufficient to afford mandated upgrades.

This time varound we rented an oceanview one bedroom at OCE. We were very satisfied. We were on the ground level which was steps from the beach. Because of the foliage we could not see the beach but we loved the convience of simply walking 15 steps to the beach. We were next to the Cabana Bar but that was great as well despite some noise.

The best thing about OCR are the people. I am talking about the staff and guests. I have stayed at three other places on Provo and have enjoyed this place the best. The Cabana Bar staff is wonderful. Catherine, Shirley, Jomo, "Mr. Chang" and the other hard working staff members really make the place. I visited the TCI in the off season because my wife had a recent tragedy. She related this to staff members who did everything to ensure she had a wonderful time.

There are no organized children's activities. This is not a bad thing. At too many places parents dump their kids on the resort staff. As a result I usually go to resorts that have a policy of not allowing children. Another place on Grace Beach, that has this policy, did not have beachfront so I booked OCE. I found however that, for the most part, children were well behaved and the families were splendid. There were moms and dads who wanted to spend time with their famillies and bring back memories of a wonderful beach vacation.

I know some people here have had problems with kids- this is my take. If you are a couple, try to get a one bedroom beachfront at OCE. Two bedrooms are taken up by families and the cheaper one bedrooms are as well. The three bedrooms are usually taken up by extended family units. The one bedroom oceanfronts are usually out of the price range for those who simply want to get as many kids in a one bedroom as possible. Other families are not renting oceanfront one bedrooms when they can get a two bedroom a little further from the beach.

In the off season OCR does have a tendency to attact families. The reort gives out coupons for meals and restaurants are, by some standards, expensive. Generally, the families with kids are not too interested in paying restaurant prices. They go to the local supermarket and buy their food to prepare in their rooms or at the barbeque. The coupons though, allows them some flexability. By and large though, children were well behaved. We did observe a family from hell on the beach and there is the occasional "ugly american" but most of the people were great.

The island generally closes at 10pm. On some nights the Club Med, which is next to OCE, has club music until 2-3 am. Be prepared to spend $40pp to get in plus drinks. In the summertime, the crowd is usually in their early to mis twenties.

The other diversion after 10pm is a small number of "belonger" bars. I always go to Smokies on the Bay. They blast music on the beach and onto the street. You can get some of Smokies incredible steamed conch. After midnight everyone is feeling no pain. It's that kind of place. Don't expect a great island experience. It's sort of a neighborhood bar and very non-descript. Usually we're the only tourists there after 10 but that's when the fun starts. There is another place called the Banana Boat that has live music sometimes. It's mainly a tourist spot though.

They are building a another condo next to OCE called the Tuscany. Building should start soon, which probably means in about two years, Turks and Caicos time. Please check though before you go.

To sum up off season- this is a great beach and the people are great. Hopefully all the new construction will not destroy paradise. The Ocean Club is a wonderful place to chill out on the beach. The belonger bars are full of fun people. By the way- it is very safe here. You can even sleep on the beach.

Beyond Relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member sherry54

Just returned from a week at the Ocean Club. Very quiet, very relaxing. Booked through AAVacations w/partial meal plan. It worked out very well. The food at the resort was good and plenty of it. The off property restaurants that we tried were all good with the exception of The Magnolia. There were only three tables when we were there and the server took the wrong food to the wrong table twice, the view is of a grungy harbor, the sun sets over land--not the water, and the portions were miniscule. The best food we had was at the country club (The Fairways) directly across the street from Ocean Club.

My husband enjoyed the diving. The morning dives are from 8 am until 2 or 3 pm which is much more time consuming than other places we have been.

If you are planning to go, be sure to take plenty of books. It is QUIET.

A holiday at Ocean Club is as good as it gets, but construction is starting...

We just returned from a glorious week at Ocean Club (East) on Nov. 27. The beach is sublime and the accommodations and staff are terrific.

The property is well maintained and the gardens are beautiful.

Note: our island view room partially faced a small parking lot.

Construction began on Nov. 26 on The Tuscany property located right next to the Ocean Club (East).

Good vacation hotel - perfect location

My husband and I just got back from a 6-day vacation at the Ocean Club hotel.

Overall, we had a great time. The beach, weather and the 1-bedroom apartment were great. Also, we found some really nice restaurants. Just one thing that wasn't so great - we had booked an ocean view room. The receptionist at Ocean Club confirmed this when we checked in but told us that the room was not ready yet and that we should have lunch first and then come back. Once we came back and went to our room, we found out that we had a room looking right at the pool on ground level and many people kept walking by and looked right into our room.
Although we were able to change the room after some lengthy negotiation process to a room with less traffic and more privacy this was disappointing to us. Expecially, since only a few room can really claim ocean view at this resort. Most of the rooms look out on the beautiful garden, some at the pools, especially those on ground level.

Overall, we had a nice stay but would probably not go back in the near future since construction started right next to the ocean club on our last day. That will certainly be source of a lot of noise.

Paradise Found

I'm not sure it could have been much better. The rooms were great and so was our view (over the pool and out into the ocean). The kitchen was nice (bigger than mine at home). The porch was screened in, so there were no bugs and we NEVER closed the sliding glass doors that lead to it. Listening to the ocean in bed is woderful. The beach was empty at sunrise and in the late evening. Perfect for quiet walks. The resort is large and well maintained with a beautiful ocean front. Everyone was friendly. There are lots of great places to eat. It seems that 1/3 of the people we met were American, 1/3 English and 1/3 French (Club Med is the next resort over). We can't wait to go back.

We're ready to go back!

by TripAdvisor Member AZ_dweller

My husband and I just returned Dec. 11th from a week at Ocean Club to celebrate our 30th anniversary. It was probably the most relaxing vacation we've ever had. The beach was the best (and we've seen a few other Carribean beaches), the resort grounds were beautiful, and the accommodations were above average. The staff were helpful and polite. Apparently between Thanksgiving and mid-December they have a bit of a lull, because the resort was not crowded, and there was certainly no problem getting beach chairs, or a place to eat at the Cabana Bar. We knew construction had started next door, so we requested a room at the opposite side of the resort, which we got. Even so we were only about 50 yards from the work site, but they are just getting started, and from where we were, their noise was not a problem. We did have some kid noise in our building the first couple of days, and then they left. Unfortunately, the following morning, and nearly all day Friday, a helicopter was constantly over the resort. The wait staff said they were site shooting for a promotion for Club Med next door, and that it wasn't terribly unusual to have a helicopter around. It did disturb the tranquility somewhat, but there's really nothing Ocean Club staff can do about it, though that didn't keep some guests from complaining. One guy just wouldn't stop hassling the poor bar tender about it! I really think the guests complaining was more annoying than the helicopter. Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. I had debated between Royal West Indies and Ocean Club, and after visiting Royal West Indies, I was glad I had selected Ocean Club. We didn't rent a car, so were a bit at the mercy of the taxi drivers and the prices they charged, plus food was very expensive. But, if you want to save money, stay home! Next time I will actually wear the insect repellant I brought in the evenings and early mornings...toward the end of the week I had accumulated quite a few bites; then again, bugs always love me.
If you have any questions, drop me an e-mail.

Ocean Club ResortOcean Club Resort